A Shepherd Afield Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BurntRedstone
BurntRedstone
9,773 Followers

He stood as she arrived and she looked at him with great sadness in her eyes. "Chanel! Please join us!"

A waiter added a chair to their table and Chanel sank into it gratefully. Her short black hair had grown out a little and was looking like she'd slept on it. She wore no make-up as usual but with the weight she'd lost and the apparent lack of sleep the bruises under her eyes made her look truly exhausted.

"What happened?" Gabriella asked.

"I tried. I did. I tried to put her from my mind and move on. Go back to my life before..." Chanel sighed and rubbed her face. She looked at Ben again. "After that animal Rapava took my Isabelle I had my hate for him and the hunt to keep my heart and mind occupied. Then Cath-" her voice caught. "Then she entered my life and I was torn. I still had to complete my mission but there was a chance for love again."

Her face tilted down and she seemed to be struggling to hold back her tears. When she looked up again her eyes were glassy. "I've been so single minded since I escaped my mother's plan for my life. I had my ambitions and my own plan. Isabelle was the one unexpected element but she flowed effortlessly into my life and was content to follow. I made room for her in the course I'd set. When she was taken there was a huge void in my life. I thought Catherine might step into Isabelle's place but she is so much different. She is not content to follow. She-" a sob escaped. Gabriella took her hand and Ben saw Chanel took strength from the touch as she bit her lip to stop her tears.

"She will not follow. She is strong and willful and has her own plan and commitments. And my plan is dust in my mouth. Nothing has meaning anymore. Without her, I am nothing."

Gabriella made a sympathetic sound and squeezed her hand.

"Why didn't you call her? Tell her?" Ben asked thinking of the pain Catherine was going through as well.

Chanel dropped her eyes again. "In my desperate desire to start over I erased all the information I had for her. No numbers. No address. Then so much time passed. She must hate me. For how I ran."

Ben scowled. "If you think that you don't know her well enough!"

"Ben!" Gabriella admonished and he settled back in his chair but he wasn't finished. "I'm sorry for that outburst Chanel. But you're wrong about Catherine's reaction. She's heartbroken. She misses you terribly. She wants you back."

Chanel began to cry softly and Gabriella moved to pull her into an embrace.

Eventually, Chanel got control and thanked Gabriella. She wiped her eyes and for the first time she seemed to become aware of Miriam and Daniel. She smiled weakly. "You must think I'm a silly woman."

"Not at all. I think you're a woman in love. You should be with the one you love," Miriam said gently and Daniel nodded.

Chanel blinked at the young ones and looked to Gabriella. "You truly are the Goddess of Love if your children are this wise about love."

Gabriella blushed and smiled at the woman.

"Miriam and Daniel are flying back home tomorrow on a jet. Catherine is picking them up at the airport. There is room on that jet if you want to go to her," Ben said.

Chanel looked at him in surprise.

"Understand, Catherine loves me and I love her. I'm not giving her up but I don't have to. She loves you too. There is more than enough love for everyone. She needs you as much as you need her. Go to her. Find it in yourself to understand that love isn't finite or have to be divided and make it work. You're right about one thing. Nothing else matters," Ben asserted.

"I- I would like to go to her," she said shakily looking into Ben's eyes.

"I'll call the jet service to let them know you will be joining the kids on the flight home," he said and stood taking his cell out."

"Are you not flying home as well?" Chanel asked.

"No, I have business in Australia to attend to first." With a nod he left to make the call from the lobby where the signal was better.

Chanel looked at Gabriella. "I feel like a leaf, lost in the wind."

Gabriella smiled and took her hand once more. "We all feel that way when life gets away from us. When we forget to pay attention to what's truly important. I promise, when you're in Catherine's arms again the world will right itself and you'll find your balance once more."

Chanel smiled and looked at the kids. "You are very lucky to have this woman as your mother." Two happy grins told her they knew.

"Where are you staying? Wait- how did you find us?" Gabriella asked in surprise.

Chanel raised an eyebrow. "I am a detective."

Three grins indicated they were suitably impressed.

"I am staying at a dumpy little hotel on the edge of town," she replied.

"Check out and bring your stuff to the Brezza offices. You can stay in the suite at the office tonight. There is a party tonight in honor of Ben's saving the company. It will be good to unwind, there's going to be delicious food, drinks and dancing. And a really nice bed to sleep in until we pick you up in the morning to drive you and the kids to the airport."

"Ben saved the company? The last I heard you were trying to sell off assets to save the company," Chanel said.

"I was hunting for investors with very little luck. Ben stepped up and made a major investment to save this season's product line up," Gabriella beamed.

"Major?" Chanel asked.

"Millions major," Gabriella said with a raised eyebrow.

Ben returned and took his chair. He saw the two women smiling at him. "What?"

"Nothing," Gabriella smiled sweetly.

"I must go to check out of my dumpy little hotel. I will meet you tonight at Brezza," Chanel said.

Everyone stood and gave Chanel a hug and a kiss on the cheek. She especially enjoyed hugging Gabriella as the woman exuded love. Chanel was convinced Catherine was right about her friend. After a moment's reflection she thought she might be right about Ben as well.

Brezza headquarters was buzzing with energy that night and Ben was right smack in the middle of it. Gabriella failed to mention just how large a 'party' the employees were going to throw for him.

He was wearing his dark suit which normally made him an intimidating presence but each and every employee of the merged companies insisted on shaking his hand, hugging him, kissing his cheek, or all of the above. Gabriella did her best to move the more amorous and enthusiastic ones along but by the height of the evening Ben was feeling truly worn out. He needed a little downtime so Gabriella found him a table in the corner and found four of Brezza's security staff, who also owed their jobs to Ben, to stand guard and redirect the now slightly inebriated staff away from the table.

From his vantage point Ben could see most of the floor space the party was occupying. There was a large screen on one where images from the most recent fashion show were being displayed. This was the collection that was already making waves in the industry. Fashion was a very fickle business but for this year it seems theirs was the hot iron and it had struck well.

Gabriella finally explained what she meant when she said his name had leant the company a great deal of respect with the suppliers. He was holding one of the silk garment tags that were being sewn into each item. Sewn onto each was a silhouette of the blasted brass statue... with permission from Gabriella's cousin who was reaping her own fortune from the damn thing. The chateau was booked for the foreseeable future as the only way to see the real statue was to stay at the hotel. A copy was on display at Richard and Henry's hotel as that was only fair. The two businesses shared the wealth very well.

Getting back to the silk tag, some clever stitching left the impression of a formidable appendage between the legs... or it could just be the contour of his thigh muscle. It was left to the imagination of the wearer.

He'd been shocked and a little disturbed when Gabriella first handed him the tag and explained what it was. Then she explained how it was driving their pre-orders through the roof. The order estimates for the collection were being recalculated but it seemed like they had underestimated by a factor of 3 if not more. The production department was thrilled!

So his little foray into investing in fashion was going to pay off very well after all. His nest egg was going to get another sizeable bump.

He tucked the tag into his pocket and looked out over the party. He could see Daniel's smiling face behind his new camera. He was circulating, taking candid shots and the models hired to show off the new line were all fawning over him. Someone had the brilliant idea to tether his camera wirelessly to the computer displaying the images up on the screen and his party shots randomly appeared on the screen as well. He saw one of Miriam and it took his breath away.

The image on the screen showed her wearing one of the new dresses and laughing with two of the models. Daniel had captured a moment of pure happiness and joy for his sister. It seems Miriam had been made an honorary model for the evening and Ben thought she looked absolutely beautiful.

"Oh my god, I look like a goof!"

Ben looked away from the screen to see Miriam standing next to the table looking up at the screen in dismay.

"What are you talking about? That's a wonderful picture and you look lovely!" Ben protested. He noticed she had on a different outfit than the one in the image and grinned. "Are you enjoying yourself?"

Miriam's face lit up with a huge grin. "So much! I only wish Karlene was here to share it with me!" she lamented.

"We'll ask her mother if she can join you next time, ok?" he suggested.

"Oh my god yes!" Miriam gushed. She looked over her shoulder as she heard the models laughing and calling her name. She glanced back at Ben. "Thank you so much for this, Ben!"

He just smiled and nodded so she turned and rushed back over to the ladies who whisked her away.

Gabriella showed up at the table with a stylishly dressed older woman at her elbow. Ben stood as the woman was introduced as Monique Lemoine, a good friend of Brezza for years and a reporter for one of the more popular and well respected fashion magazines. She was the only member of the press invited to this party. Her grey streaked black hair was pulled back into a long ponytail and she favored the color black for her blouse, slacks, and high boots. She kissed his cheeks as this was the ritual he'd gone through all night.

Ben gave Gabriella a quick look when he heard the woman was a reporter then they all took seats with Monique across the table from Ben and Gabriella.

"I understand your hesitance to speak with someone in my field. Many of the articles released about you have not been fair or impartial," Monique said with a small knowing smile.

"Yes, my relationship with the press hasn't exactly been smooth," he admitted with a cautious look.

"Everyone wants your story and will make one up when they can't get one," she continued.

Ben frowned but nodded. He wondered if she would do the same.

"I was asked to come tonight not in my official capacity but as a long-time admirer of the designers and the brand. Brezza has done some truly innovative work and I was horrified when that jackal Leone and his bitch tried to destroy it. It is my understanding that you two are the reason the company and all these good people," she swept her hand out to indicate the celebration around them, "are able to continue to innovate and share their beautiful creations with the world."

Ben squirmed. "It's Gabriella's efforts that made it possible, not mine. All I did was buy some shares."

The woman looked at Ben with a smirk. "I think your investment cannot be minimized in this case."

"But it can and it should. Gabriella stepped up and through her blood, sweat, and tears made it possible to merge the companies so they could produce these amazing clothes. My involvement is purely financial. It was her compassion, brilliance, and strength that saved all these people!"

Monique was still giving him a skeptical look. "Purely financial," she said and Ben nodded.

"Are you an investment specialist?" she asked and he had to shake his head. "Maybe you are a gambler?" she said giving him an evaluating look and again he shook his head. "Investing in the fashion industry is one of the riskiest gambles you could do so I think you are a gambler," she insisted.

"Not at all. I didn't invest in the fashion industry. I invested in Gabriella. I trust her. There was no gamble at all," he said calmly.

Gabriella hugged him and turned his face so she could give him a kiss. Ben blushed at her display of passion in front of this stranger.

"I think this is a love story, yes?" Monique said smiling at the couple.

Ben looked at her for a moment then slowly smiled and nodded. "Yes... yes it is. Gabriella loves these wonderful people and needed to save them. I love Gabriella beyond measure. I trust Gabriella with my heart so trusting her with my money is nothing."

"Well put," Monique smiled happily as Gabriella teared up at Ben's words. He kissed her tenderly then she leaned against his side as he put his arm around her.

"If the buzz is to be believed Brezza is going to have an extraordinary season. Is it true that a major American retail chain has placed an order for a portion of the collection?" the reporter asked.

Ben looked in surprise at Gabriella who smiled and nodded. "But I'm not at liberty to say which one at this time. You'll have the exclusive in about five days," she said.

"Would you mind if I included a small piece on the two of you when I release that news?" Monique asked.

Gabriella looked hopefully into Ben's eyes and he sighed with a smile. He focused on the reporter. "Gabriella trusts you so I'm going to say go ahead. Please pardon my reluctance. I've been burned too many times to be comfortable by having additional attention.

"Yes, I've read the articles. They are poorly written and I assume are filled with inaccuracies?" she asked.

Ben nodded but didn't rise to the bait. She smiled. "Presented with an opportunity to clear the air and set the record straight, you choose silence instead. You are consistent at least."

"My life story is mine," he replied. "If you wish to write about your personal impressions of who we are, that's your story." He leaned forward. "Nothing would make me happier than to fade from the public's attention. I'm told it will happen eventually when someone else excites them. I'm hoping that happens soon." He looked over the shoulder of the woman as he saw Chanel walk into the room. He smiled and looked back at Gabriella. "She made it."

Gabriella looked in the direction Ben was pointing and smiled. She slid out of the booth and went to collect the woman who found herself surrounded by Brezza's excited models and Miriam who was wearing yet another example of this year's collection.

Chanel's expression relaxed when she saw Gabriella who rescued her from the models, gave her daughter a kiss on the cheek and whispered in her ear, then brought Chanel back to the table to make the introductions.

Once she was seated next to Monique the reporter turned to her with a smile. "I'm going to be writing a brief profile on Gabriella and Ben for my story on Brezza's rebirth. Would you care to share your personal impressions of the couple?" Monique looked at Ben with a raised eyebrow to see if he'd challenge his own words. Ben just smiled at her and nodded.

Chanel looked between Ben and the reporter. "Shouldn't you just speak with them?" she said.

"Ben has stated that he does not intend to personally share his story but I am free to write my own 'personal impressions' of who he and Gabriella are. I've known Gabriella for some time but her interaction with Ben is new to me and Ben himself is a stranger to me. My impression will be too limited for the story. You have history with them. Your impression would be richer. Ben, you don't object to others sharing their impressions do you?"

"I'd only request discretion when it comes to information that you think I might consider private and personal." Ben said to the reporter and Chanel.

Chanel grinned. "That does not leave much as I know Ben is a very private man." She paused to look critically at the man as she considered her words. "I know he is a man with a very deep well of love. I know Gabriella is a 'Goddess of Love'." She grinned when the woman blushed and Ben nodded enthusiastically. "They are a perfect match."

The reporter saw she was not going to get an inside scoop from Chanel and wondered at the seemingly impenetrable wall around the man. Her instincts were telling her there was a story to be had but her good sense told her to let it go. She knew Brezza would live because of these two and Gabriella hinted at good things to come for the company which meant exciting times ahead and stories for her. She would be grateful for that.

She nodded to Chanel for her 'quote' and bid them all a good night as she slid from the booth. She'd spotted one of the senior accountants who looked like he'd helped himself to the free wine a little too much. He might be an excellent source of information.

When they were alone Ben leaned forward. "Thank you," he said to Chanel.

She grinned at him and nodded. She spotted Daniel taking pictures and her mouth dropped opened in surprise as she realized some of the images on the big screen had come from his camera. She turned to Gabriella who was once more wearing a proud smile on her face. "He's a very talented photographer!"

"Thank you!"

Then Chanel looked over at her shoulder to spot the group of models laughing and giggling over by the bar. Sure enough Gabriella's daughter was amongst them. "And your daughter is a model? Is this a family business?"

Gabriella smiled. "Miriam is just having a good time. She's actually expressed an interest in marketing. This is excellent experience for her. I would love to work with her! Daniel's grades are top of his class but he hasn't really indicated what he would like to do as a career. I'm delighted he's enjoying photography. If it will become his occupation, it's too early to say. To work with him as well? Heaven!"

Chanel grinned at the other woman's look of joy. She wasn't interested in having children of her own but she could appreciate good parenting when she saw it. "They are wonderful kids! You have reason to be proud."

Gabriella beamed a smile across the table.

The DJ announced his arrival and the dancefloor came alive. Grinning happily, Gabriella tugged Ben and Chanel from the booth and they headed out onto the floor to enjoy the music with the others. A cheer went up when the staff saw Ben and Gabriella join them. Ben relaxed and just let the beat take over. Gabriella danced close to Ben and there was a fair amount of bumping and touching. Gabriella smiled happily as she saw Ben's eyes on her and the heat in them.

They stayed on the dancefloor through set after set. Chanel was out there with them the entire time.

Finally Ben caught sight of a clock and realized he had to be the responsible one and get them to their beds so they would be able to wake for their flights the next day. He gestured back to the table and got nods from Chanel and Gabriella. He looked over the heads around him and saw Daniel dancing as well, the camera still in his hands. He grinned and pointed towards the corner table and the young man nodded back.

Gabriella collected Miriam and they all met at the table.

"Time to call it a night," Ben said to the group. He looked to Chanel. "As you are staying here I suppose you could keep dancing but we have to be at the airport by 8AM tomorrow, uh today," he said realizing again that it was almost 1AM.

"No, I will head off to bed now. I'm done for the night as well," she smiled in return. She pulled Gabriella into a hug and gave the kids hugs as well. Finally she faced Ben. "I cannot tell you how much this means to me."

BurntRedstone
BurntRedstone
9,773 Followers