A Shepherd Afield Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How did he die?" Sarah gasped, that tidbit having been missing from the story she'd read.

Ben's discomfort at her excitement seemed to be lost on her. "He slipped on some wet tiles and fell, striking his head on the edge of a step."

"That's it? He slipped and bumped his head?" Don exclaimed.

"That's all it takes," Ben said.

"But... what was he doing when he slipped? What made him slip?" Sarah growled in frustration.

Ben was getting a little tired of keeping her entertained. He sighed. "The man was swinging a knife at the face of a woman I was standing beside. I yanked her back. He missed. His shoe slipped out from under him and he fell. He died. That's it."

Her eyes were like saucers and her next question was interrupted by her father.

"Sunflower, I think Mr. Shepherd has said all he's comfortable saying about that."

She looked like she wanted to argue but again her mother squeezed her hand and she settled down.

They finished up their meals, keeping the conversation to milder topics. Don had done some renovation work on his house and Ben traded stories about that with him.

Ben caught Sarah watching him with a hungry look on several occasions and his unease about the woman's state of mind grew.

Something Rita said caught Ben's attention and he looked at her. "Sarah's married?"

"Was," Rita clarified with a frown. She sent her daughter a quick look of reproach as Sarah looked away stiffly.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry," Ben said but Sarah saw an opportunity.

"Not all relationships work out as we plan, isn't that right Ben," she said looking defiantly at her mother.

"Uh, well, that's been my experience," he agreed reluctantly.

Rita looked at him eagerly. "You've been married too?"

He nodded. "A long time ago."

"She left him," Sarah blurted and Ben winced.

"Sarah!" Rita scolded.

"I'm just stating what it said in that magazine." She looked at Ben. "Your ex didn't say very nice things about you."

"Ex's sometimes don't but don't believe everything you read, especially in one of those magazines," he said in his defence.

"So, what really happened then?" Sarah asked.

"Sarah!" her mother scolded again but her daughter's eyes flared.

"You blame me for choosing the wrong man to get married to. Maybe it's not my fault. Maybe we fall in love with people who change!" Sarah hissed back at her.

Ben blinked at the younger woman. For all her insensitivity and immaturity she'd just given Ben something to think about.

"Sunflower, this isn't the time to talk about that," Don said and his daughter leaned back in her chair with a pout.

Dessert was sorbet and ice creams which fit well with the climate around the table. There was definitely a chill between mother and daughter and Don looked apologetic.

Afterwards they said their goodbyes as Don was going to drive Ben back to the hotel. Rita firmly pressed her body against Ben's when she hugged him. Her touch was a little too familiar as well but Ben let it slide. He'd barely stepped back when Sarah was crushing herself against him, feeling the beginning of his reaction to her mother's tight embrace. Her hands wandered as well and her eyes were wide and excited when he gently disengaged from her hug.

"It was nice meeting you both," Ben said with a smile and followed Don out of the restaurant.

As they stood waiting for the valet Don looked over at Ben with a cautious smile. "So that's the wife and daughter." He suddenly seemed insecure.

"Don, you are a very lucky man," Ben said and the man's smile suddenly lit up his face.

"You're damn right!" he exclaimed with enthusiasm as his confidence returned.

Don was almost bubbly with good humor on the drive back to the hotel and told him he'd pick him up in the morning at 9AM.

Ben made his way up to his room and stripped his clothes off. After he freshened up in the bathroom and brushed his teeth he went back to the bed and propped himself up on the pillows against the headboard. He flipped open his laptop and called Margaux.

On the third ring the screen opened up and there she was. Her thick mahogany hair framing her lovely face, her beautiful mouth wide with a happy smile and her lovely dark eyes twinkled with joy.

"Are you here?" she gasped in delight.

"Well, I finally made it to the continent! I'm in Melbourne now. Just had dinner with the company president, his wife and daughter. Tomorrow I get to meet the engineering team. They're taking me out to dinner too."

"When are you coming to Sidney?" she asked.

"The day after tomorrow... what day will that be? I swear with all this time zone jumping I'm lost."

She shook her head and smiled at him. "Thursday. When do you have to head home?"

"My flight back to the States is Sunday night," he said.

She nodded as she considered all the things she wanted to do with him in the time she had. Her grin turned wicked.

"I recognize that smile. What naughty thoughts are going through that brilliant brain inside that pretty head of yours?" Ben said with a smile.

"You'll just have to wait and see!" her smile turned sultry and Ben's cock woke up.

"So much for sleeping tonight!" Ben said with a grin making her squeak in delighted amusement.

"I am very much looking forward to your visit!" she said.

"I'll see you on Thursday!" Ben said.

"Goodnight, Ben."

"Goodnight, Margaux. Sweet, naughty dreams," he returned and she chuckled as she disconnected.

Next he dialed up Tina's tablet. It rang six times and he was about to disconnect when the screen suddenly came online.

"Ben!?!"

"Tina?" he asked in concern.

"Yes! Sorry, I could not get my tablet out of my bag and I thought I missed the call. I was expecting your call last night." Tina said.

"My apologies. I screwed up my flight from Milan to Melbourne and I had a surprise layover in Dubai.

He heard laughter in the background and Tina turned the tablet so he could see Trish standing next to her. "Hi Trish!"

"Hey Ben! Is Dubai as pretty as it seems on TV?" the redhead asked with a grin.

"I'll let you know when they finish it," he said. "It's pretty posh in places and a complete disaster in others! It's a very strange mix. I did meet some lovely people and enjoyed a local meal."

Tina's face came back into the picture.

"What are you two doing... at noon on... Tuesday?" he said struggling with the time zones.

"Just doing a little extra shopping for the house on the lunch hour. Picking up sheets," Tina replied. Trish disappeared for a second and Ben watched Tina's expression as she watched the other woman doing something off camera. She smiled in amusement.

"Hey Ben! Check out these pillows!" Tina turned the tablet to face Trish who had two large and round pink pillows held up against her chest and she was squeezing them together like they were her own tits.

"Ooo, Ben! Wouldn't you like to slide your big cock between these babies?" Trish teased and laughed at Ben's embarrassed expression.

"Trish! You're in a public place!" he exclaimed.

The woman in question grinned and threw the pillows into the bin. "Ben, the store is dead! Tina and I are the only ones here! Hell! I could walk through the store naked!" She got a twinkle in her eyes and lifted her top to expose her large tits struggling to free themselves from her sexy red lace bra. Ben heard Tina giggling from behind the tablet.

"Very nice ma'am. Please put them away," a male voice said.

Trish pulled her top back down as she looked up at the security camera just to her left. Tina's giggles had become full out laughter and the camera was no longer steady. Trish plucked it from Tina's grasp. She smiled at Ben.

"We miss you big guy! When are you home again?"

"Uh, next Monday... evening... I think. I'm having trouble keeping the days straight. I miss you guys too!" he said. "How are the girls? Wait! How did their date go?"

Tina took the tablet back. Her smiling face looked back at him. "The date was a big success. Jayden was a gentleman and Penny's boyfriend Frank is very nice as well. They have another double date planned for this weekend. Karen is very happy as is Penny. They miss you too!"

Ben relaxed a little and gave Tina a smile. All was well at home. "Thank you Tina for taking care of things while I'm away."

"Do I deserve a reward?" she asked cheekily.

Ben grinned. "Oh yes, you will be rewarded very well for this."

"Hey! I've been helpful too! I want in on this reward action!" Trish whined from off screen. Tina turned the tablet to her and Ben saw her pout.

"Trish, you will get your reward when I get back too!" he promised.

She noticed his shoulders were bare and realized it was after midnight where he was. "Are you naked?" she said with a huge grin. Tina immediately spun the tablet back to face her but Trish moved beside her to see as well.

"Yes but I'm under the top sheet," he grumbled.

"Oh god Ben! Give us a little preview!" Trish moaned.

Tina nodded enthusiastically with a grin on her face. "Yes, please!" she added.

Feeling a little awkward Ben set his laptop on the bed between his outstretched legs. He still had the sheet over his legs, pulled up to his stomach so he was 'decent' for the camera. Both women made appreciative sounds as they could see his full torso.

"Oh fuck, that's nice!" Trish sighed. "Why don't you slip that sheet down a little?" Tina was nodding rapidly.

He sighed and reached down to the top of his thighs and slowly tugged the sheets down until the top of the sheet was just barely covering his intimate parts. He stopped there and smiled at the camera.

Trish was staring open mouthed and Tina's eyes were wide with excitement.

"I think that's enough for tonight," he said.

"Oh you tease! So unfair!" Trish blurted.

He leaned forward to grab the laptop and lift it back up to his legs when the sheet dropped away. Trish and Tina were given a very up close and personal look at his semi-erect cock hanging down between his legs before he yanked the sheet up again.

"Shit! Who's python was THAT!" a female voice exclaimed from off screen. The screen went dark as Tina pulled her tablet tight against her chest. The next sounds were loud but muffled and when Ben's screen brightened once more Tina looked very apologetic.

"Sorry Ben, we did not see or hear the saleswoman approach," she said.

"Yeah, we were a little distracted! Fuck! That was hot!" Trish grinned.

Ben sighed as his face burned. He'd had enough excitement for the night. "I'm going to sleep now. Have a good day! I love you two!"

"We love you too Ben! Sweet dreams!" Tina said as Trish blew kisses.

Ben shut down the laptop and put it away. He flipped off the light and smiled as he thought of home. He missed his ladies very much.

Chapter 28

Catherine looked down at her feet once more as she walked across the lobby of the office tower her charity, Kids-2-Kids, hosted their office in. She saw her feet were touching the floor but she swore she was floating inches above it. Her heart was soaring and the reason for that was waiting for her by the front doors. She pinched herself again as she took in the tall svelte body and new spiky hairstyle Chanel was sporting. Spotting Cat's reflection Chanel turned to face her lover and smiled.

Once more Catherine's thoughts were pulled back to Monday evening when she picked up Miriam and Daniel from the airport. She'd arrived early and watched the happy reunions with a dull pain in her heart. She'd given herself a shake as Miriam and Daniel didn't need to see that.

The kids had looked so happy when she saw them coming through the arrivals gate. She could tell they'd had a wonderful visit with their mother and Ben. Miriam absolutely glowed in the lovely new dress she was wearing. She was growing up to be such a lovely young woman!

She spotted Daniel pointing his camera in her direction and she grinned at him.

Then she walked through the gate behind the kids.

Catherine's grin froze and she blinked, not believing what her eyes were telling her. It couldn't be. It was just her wishful thinking. She'd been dreaming about this very thing happening so it couldn't be. It had to be a dream!

When Chanel smiled back at her hesitantly, biting that delectable lip, and tears welling in the brunette's lovely eyes Catherine found her feet moving, slowly at first until she was running. She pulled the woman into her arms and held her, feeling the pain rush away to be replaced with a giddy joy. As Chanel's strong arms wrapped around her, their lips found each other's and their kiss was the sweetest relief. Her heart filled with happiness to have Chanel back in her arms.

"Catherine? Love?"

The blonde returned from her thoughts feeling the gentle touch of her lover's hand on her cheek.

"You disappeared for a moment there," Chanel said with concern in her voice and love in her eyes.

They were standing in the middle of the lobby. Catherine blushed and a joyful smile appeared on her lips. She slipped her arm through Chanel's and got them moving. "Sorry, just reliving your return to me."

It was Chanel's turn to flash back to the moment and a sweet smile spread across her face. "It was magic for me as well."

Stepping outside into the crisp fall air Catherine held tighter to Chanel's arm. "Where do you want to have lunch?"

"Someplace we can hear ourselves think," the brunette said as she looked at the noisy road construction crew whose whistles and cat-calls could barely be heard above the machinery noise. Chanel adjusted her jacket, making her holster evident and the crew found other things to do.

Cat smiled at the woman and led them a couple of blocks down to a nice little two story Italian restaurant. The owner was friendly and got them an intimate table by the window upstairs.

"The view isn't as spectacular as a view in Paris would be," Catherine said when they got settled.

"The view in Paris was missing something I could not live without," Chanel said taking her hand.

Catherine's smile stretched wide and her eyes twinkled happily as she held the other woman's hand.

Chanel suddenly looked a little nervous and Cat's breath caught in her throat. She'd been waiting for this. Since the incredible moment when Chanel appeared at the airport, she'd been riding a high. Now reality was going to come crashing down on her. Chanel would tell her she was leaving, why it couldn't last, why it wasn't meant to be. Her heart began to ache.

"I- I didn't want to say anything until I was sure but my meeting this morning went better than I'd hoped. I don't... I hope... I got a job, as detective, here in your city. I'm moving here."

"Oh my god!" Catherine gushed as her breathing finally came back to her. "Oh my god!"

Chanel was looking at her with a confused smile. "Good?"

"Good? Incredible! So good! Move in with me! Live with me!" she blurted and Chanel's shoulders relaxed. "You thought I wouldn't want you to?!?"

"You have a life-"

"YOU are a very important part of that life! I want you by my side! I love you!" Cat exclaimed.

Chanel was suddenly crying and Catherine was too. The blonde kissed the brunette's hand. They pulled back and struggled to stem their tears as they beamed at each other.

"What happened? Who were you meeting this morning?" Catherine asked when she could.

Chanel dabbed her tears and nodded. "I went to speak with the police commissioner after he received a call from Chief Inspector Boucher who gave me a glowing recommendation. There is currently media pressure to hire more female detectives in this city and as I have an excellent record the commissioner recognized it would be excellent timing to hire me to ease some of this pressure. I do not care why he is hiring me as long as he does. I know I am great at my job. I just needed my job to be near you."

"You didn't answer my question. Will you move in with me?" Cat said biting her lip.

"I would love to. As long as your daughters do not mind," Chanel said.

"They all think very highly of you!" Cat grinned.

Chanel smiled and looked down at her hands resting on the table. "And what of the big man? Will he object?"

Cat tilted her head. "By now you know the answer to that one. Wasn't he the one who sent you to me on that jet?"

"At that time I did not tell him that I would be staying." Chanel said nervously.

"You're still thinking in possessive terms. Ben loves me. He supports my happiness. You make me so very happy! He will definitely be on board with the idea of your staying!"

"He told me he was not giving you up."

Catherine smiled happily as a warm feeling flowed through her. "And I'm never going to give him up. That doesn't mean I don't love and need you!"

"I need you as well. I would like to try. I would very much like to try."

Catherine nodded and the waiter took that opportunity to approach. They gave their orders and the man left.

"I've been thinking about redecorating the house. There is still too many reminders of Ashraf there. He had an office which you could take for your own personal space. I have my own office."

"Do I get my own bedroom?" Chanel asked.

Cat's expression froze until she saw the slight smile in the corners of Chanel's lips.

"You're such a tease!" Cat growled.

"I will show you tonight how much of a tease I can be," Chanel promised with heat in her eyes.

The look went straight to Cat's most sensitive bits and she squirmed in delight. Something occurred to her. "What did you do with your apartment in Paris?"

"Nothing yet but I will have to give it up. I still need to pack my things. I do not have much," Chanel sighed.

"It's a shame. An apartment in Paris sounds lovely," Cat smiled.

Chanel gave her a wry grin. "You have not seen the building my apartment is in nor the neighborhood. No one would have romantic thoughts of that place."

"When will you be going back to get your stuff?" Catherine asked.

Chanel sat back and frowned. "I was in such a rush to come here I didn't make any plans. Now that I have a new job I don't know when I will get the time to do it!"

"When is your first day?"

"They want me to unofficially begin training next Monday. I still need a Visa to actually work. They are rushing to get me a temporary work Visa and fast tracking my application as a permanent resident. I doubt they will be happy about giving me time to go back to pack. And the airfare is going to be prohibitive!" she said with a worried look.

Catherine pulled her phone from her jacket pocket and quickly typed out a message. She hit send and sat back with a smile.

"What was that?" Chanel asked curiously.

"I just asked my boyfriend if we could borrow the jet for the weekend. It has a bed you know." Catherine grinned.

Chanel's eyes went wide. "You asked Ben to pay for the flight to and from Paris on a private jet to pick up my things and bring them back?" she asked incredulously.

Cat blinked at her. "Yes, why? What's wrong?"

"He does not even know I am staying and now he is paying my moving expenses? I- I think this is too much!" she exclaimed.

"He could say no but I doubt he will. I asked nicely and he knows how important this is," Catherine explained.

"I- I do not wish to spend his money... I will find a way to pay him back," she said in discomfort.

Catherine looked at the woman across the table. "When we get back and Ben is back we need to sit down with him and clear away some misconceptions you have. I think you will be far more at ease with him then."

"I'm not attracted to him," Chanel said cautiously.

"And I'm not asking that of you. I am asking you to make the effort to see the man for what he is, not what you think he is. I believe you'll like him as a person. You don't have to love him but please respect that I do." Catherine held Chanel's eyes with hers and saw the acceptance there. Chanel nodded and smiled.

1...56789...17