A Shepherd Afield Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jack and Lynda looked back out on the floor as the dance was coming to an end. Ben and Sophia were the only ones dancing as everyone else was just watching. "He dances beautifully," Lynda sighed and Gabriella nodded as she got up to go to him.

Jack was connecting his discussion with Ben the previous night to Gabriella's confession. Ben hadn't told him who the monster of his childhood had beaten to death. Just that he was terrified he was following in the man's footsteps. Jack felt deeply relieved he'd gotten through to Ben to make him realize he was his own man and shared no other significant traits.

Sophia was trembling with joy as she and Ben stilled themselves on the last note. "That was so wonderful Ben! Thank you!" she gasped. He smiled and bowed to her then released her fingers and moved towards his table.

The sweetly familiar notes began to play and the silky smooth voice was next:

"When I fall in love it will be forever

Or I'll never fall in love..."

Ben's feet stopped moving as his heart seized in his chest. He couldn't breathe from the fresh anguish he felt at her loss. Following Dr. Granger's instructions, he closed his eyes and took deep breaths as he told himself it was pain from the past. It didn't belong in the now. He felt a soft body press against his side and picked up the scent of Gabriella's delicate spice perfume. He opened his eyes but let her guide him out into the hall and down to the grand room where Catherine got married this very day.

He sat down and she took the next chair. Trish walked in having seen them leave and Catherine rushed into the room with Tina in tow. Lucy, Gretchen and the twins were right behind. They took chairs around him and he held up his hand to make them listen to the words to the song as it drifted down the hall after them. He found himself singing along but he did the music no justice.

"And the moment I can feel that you feel that way too

Is when I'll fall in love with you..."

He looked into their eyes and they saw the pain and wonder in his. "This was our song... and now I understand. Now that I can hear the words and not get swept away, lost in my memories. After all this time... I finally understand what makes me fall so deeply and completely in love. It's in the words of the last song she ever gave to me. Our song." He smiled gently though his bottom lip trembled.

Chanel walked in and saw the group. He gestured for her to come closer. She stood next to Catherine and touched her shoulder. Cat reached up and took her hand.

"I'm sorry for being a nuisance on your beautiful evening. I'm just having a grand epiphany about the importance of this song. I think you two should also take its words to heart... though to me I think you already have," Ben said.

Chanel and Catherine smiled at him and nodded.

"As a wedding present I was going to give you two an all-expense paid honeymoon to anywhere in the world but maybe this song is as good a gift?" Ben asked as he looked questioningly at them.

They looked back at him in shock.

"I'll take the trip please!" Catherine blurted and Chanel nodded rapidly as they began to giggle.

"Fine! Trip it is. If you change your mind, just let me know," Ben said seriously with a raised eyebrow.

Catherine leapt up and wrapped her arms around Ben's neck and gave him a very nice kiss. Chanel hugged them together.

The music picked up in tempo but it was still an oldie. Ben's muscles twitched in response. "Oh! I have to dance to this one!" he said with a grin. Smiles encircled him so everyone got up.

And they danced.

Chapter 47

Ben and his family spent a quiet day on Sunday just relaxing at home. In the late afternoon they had a visit from Gabriella who joined them in the living room. She pulled up the ottoman before his chair to speak to him.

"I heard from Monique Lemoine. Wendy's interview was broadcast in Italy last night. It will be re-broadcast tonight on at least two major US networks. Are you ready for the trial tomorrow?" she asked Ben.

He nodded. "I was speaking with Walter a couple of hours ago. He'll meet us at the courthouse at 10AM. He assured me there is no merit to her case but we will get a legal dissolution of the marriage at least."

Gabriella smiled and took his hand. "Are you ready for meeting Wendy tomorrow?"

He looked down at her hand in his and smiled gently. She loved him. He knew it. He felt it. He saw it. He looked at the faces of the women in the room with him and they were all smiling at him. He was surrounded by love. He nodded. "Yes. I'm as ready as I will ever be. It needs to happen. I need closure."

"Did you have a good time last night? When did you leave?" she asked.

Ben grinned as he looked at Tina across the room who blushed. He'd had to carry her out to the car and into the house as she'd exhausted herself dancing the night before. Now that she had the cast off she thought she could leap right back into things but she discovered she couldn't.

"We had a lovely time and danced the night away. We were one of the last to leave. I think the twins and I were the last ones on the dance floor. It was a beautiful wedding and a wonderful party!" he said with a smile.

"I've seen the pictures on Daniel's tablet. They're gorgeous! Catherine and Chanel are going to love them!" the mother gushed.

Ben grinned. "I look forward to seeing them too!"

He watched the pride on Gabriella's face and felt the warmth of her hand in his and a pang went through his heart as he realized she'd be going back to Europe soon. He needed some alone time with her before she left. "When- when are you flying back to Milan?"

"I'm not."

Ben looked at her. He must have misheard. "Sorry, what?"

"I'm not going back to Milan. I'm home to stay," she said with a happy smile.

"What?!? What about Brezza? Your CEO position?" he gasped suddenly afraid she'd done something wonderful but terrible at the same time.

"I never accepted the position. I got them back on their feet, with your generous help, but I came to realize that... Brezza wasn't mine. I didn't build it from the humble beginnings to the company it is today. The CEO position sounded exciting at first but I want to make my own company grow and thrive," she said with enthusiasm.

"But won't they still need you?" Ben asked, trying to contain his explosive joy.

"Oh, I'm still on their payroll but as an independent consultant. I left the company in good hands. Before I left I set up an executive steering committee which I have a seat on. I can cast a vote on any decision they feel they need my input on. I want to concentrate on building my own fashion distribution network business. It's small now but with the contacts I've made and the experience I just went through it's going to grow fast- EEEEEPP! MMMMmmpphhh!"

Ben lifted her off the ottoman up onto his chest and kissed her passionately as he wrapped his arms around her.

The other ladies in the room began to giggle.

When she finally managed to come up for air her head was spinning and her body was tingling madly. "Ben! Put me down! For Heaven's sake!" she sputtered but secretly she was delighted.

He gazed deeply into her beautiful green eyes. "I'm so glad you've come home!"

She managed to slide down his body, feeling some wonderfully hard muscles and other hard things along the way, until she could get back on her feet. She tugged her dress back down, making her breasts seem to rise up and almost burst out of the deep V of the neckline. His eyes flared with hunger and a rush went through her body making her tingle all over.

"It's good to be home!" she said as she gave him an equally hungry look. She gave herself a shake as she had things she needed to do today and rolling around in bed with Ben, as delicious as that sounded, would have to wait. "I just wanted to check in on you and suggest you not watch that interview tonight."

"Not to worry, I won't. I'm getting a haircut tonight apparently. Ashley cornered me at the party last night and told me its length had become completely scandalous and I shouldn't delay any longer," he said seriously.

Gabriella snorted happily. She knew the woman also had a major hankering for Ben. "I'll see you tomorrow at the courthouse then."

Ben got up and walked her to the door, helping her put on her boots and coat. He pulled her close and kissed her amazing lips until they both had to stop to breathe. "I love you so much Gabriella!" he said softly.

"I love you so much too Ben!" she whispered to him as she smiled joyfully. She headed home and Ben locked up.

Walter changed his mind about meeting Ben at the courthouse after the interview was broadcast. He'd called Ben to ask him to drive to the law firm's office so they could all go together. He'd spoken to a few contacts he had in the press and discovered there was going to be a significant increase in the press outside the courthouse. He didn't want Ben driving through that mess. The broadcast had apparently returned the public's attention to him in a big way.

Ben was wearing his serious business suit. The dark charcoal grey one that gave him confidence. He thought he looked pretty good in it and with his short but stylish haircut he thought he cleaned up pretty good. Tina and Lucy liked his haircut too but that didn't stop them from teasing him about how his haircuts always included an overnight stay.

He recalled Ashley's happy smile that morning and felt warm all over. He'd put up with the teasing.

Tina and Gretchen went with him and they all drove in a black limo from the law office to the courthouse. As they approached they saw a madhouse out front. Reporters and camera crews were set up and as the limo got closer Ben saw they were doing interviews. "What the-"

He spotted Gabriella speaking to one of the major nightly entertainment reporters. His eyes widened when he spotted the rapper Killah D with his girlfriend Brooklyn on his arm speaking with another reporter on camera. The big man had a serious expression as he spoke and Brooklyn was nodding.

La'Shia was a little further along the sidewalk working the crowd and taking selfies with the surprised fans.

As the limo pulled up to the sidewalk Ben lost track of them as the reporters suddenly rushed in around the vehicle in a mob. Court officers pushed them back behind the barricades and Ben looked nervously at Walter who would be the first to exit.

"Show time," Walter quipped and opened the door. The volume suddenly spiked as the vehicle's soundproofing no longer kept it back. The man stepped out onto the sidewalk and adjusted his suit jacket as he looked out at the crowd. He made a gesture with his fingers to indicate they should follow.

Tina stepped out next and Walter helped her out and forward.

Gretchen was clinging to Ben's arm nervously. "It's ok Gretchen. I'm right behind you," he said.

She nodded and accepted Walter's hand to step out. They both moved away from the door to give Ben space.

When he exited the volume and flashes went up a hundred fold. He scowled but did his best to ignore them as he followed his lawyer and the two ladies into the building. He met Killah and Brooklyn just inside and went over to greet them.

"Ben! So good to see you again if not in the best venue," the rapper said with a smile and shook Ben's hand, pulling him in for a brief chest bump. Ben kissed Brooklyn's cheek and gave her a hug as well as he remained stunned by their appearance.

"It's great seeing you two but... what are you doing here?" he gasped.

"We'd spoken with your lawyer a few days ago but we didn't think we could make it for the trial. But after what that woman said about you on TV last night there was no way we could stand by and let those lies go unchallenged. We knew the reporters would be here so we came to set the record straight," Killah said with a serious frown and his girlfriend nodded.

"Uh, wow, I don't know what to say. That was above and beyond. Thanks!" Ben stumbled with his words.

"Nah man, the truth is a privilege to speak."

Ben smiled and nodded as Walter gestured for them to move on. The couple waved as Ben caught up with his group.

When he entered the court room he was taken aback by how packed one side of it was. The rows of benches on the left were filled with people but there were only a few sitting on the right side.

He saw Mr. Holland scowling back from the table in front of the empty rows. Wendy was sitting between him and another man who might have been LaRue. She was looking over her shoulder at the throng of people in the rows behind the table Ben would be sitting at. Her expression in profile and partially hidden by her shoulder was impossible to read but her eyes scowled at her lawyer when she looked at him. She turned away from the back of the room so Ben could no longer see her face. She hadn't seen him so Ben felt a little relieved. He wasn't ready for that.

Ben looked at the full benches and saw the Hernandez family, all of them. He saw La'Shia and Tilisha smiling at him. They had space next to them probably for Killah D and Brooklyn. He nodded in return.

He saw people he worked with at the Milling Shop. Jerry Taggart, his financial advisor and others he'd worked with. He looked out over this group with a stunned expression.

As he got closer to the front he saw Trish sitting with the McKellan twins and Rain. Next to her was Dr. Granger and Hannah.

Lucy had Karen and Penny with her. He gave them a look as they were supposed to be in school but they just grinned back at him. Then he spotted Catherine's daughters next to them. They were also supposed to be in school.

Up on the front bench was Gabriella, Miriam, and Daniel with space left for Tina and Gretchen. Directly behind them was Chanel, Catherine, Jack and Lynda.

Ben steeled himself and finally looked over at the other table. Wendy was hidden behind her lawyer but Derek LaRue was on her right and was glaring at him angrily. The man's hair had thinned considerably and he was pale and skinny. It was the bitterness in his eyes that surprised Ben the most but he had no time for the man so he just looked away. Wendy had not attempted to look at him yet so Ben just sat next to Walter.

A few minutes later the Bailiff walked in and announced the arrival of Judge Billings. Everyone rose to their feet except for Wendy, Ben noted, and the judge entered. The man glanced once at Wendy then sat down himself. Everyone sat. The judge looked at some papers on his desk for a moment.

"Mr. Holland. I see from your documents that your client is unwell. Is she well enough to attend this proceeding?"

The lawyer stood. "Yes your honor though my colleague's attempt to turn this into a circus is wearing her reserves down causing her to be unable to stand as you arrived," he said flinging his arm back to point to the full gallery behind Ben.

Judge Billings gave Holland a weary look. "A little less showboating please, Mr. Holland." He turned his face towards Walter. "I am curious about why there are so many people in my courtroom for a divorce proceeding, Mr. Greyson. Might you explain?"

Walter stood. "Yes, your honor. Thank you, I will." He looked at Holland. "My colleague intends to prove the validity of his case based on claims that my client was abusive towards his client during their marriage and is a man of low character. The televised broadcast last night was nothing more than an attempt at character assassination. Each of the people in the gallery behind my client has come of their own free will to give statements which directly refute these accusations. Each of these people have direct contact with my client. Many were close neighbors at the time my colleague's client abandoned him."

"I object!" Holland barked, leaping to his feet.

"Sit down Mr. Holland. He's answering my question. Continue Mr. Greyson."

Walter nodded. "They can and will give testimony which proves my colleague's case is comprised entirely of fabrications."

The judge nodded and Walter sat once more.

He looked up at Mr. Holland with a curious expression. "I'm not seeing anything in your documents that proves your client's claims or justifies the need for a hearing."

Holland was back on his feet once more. "Your honor, my colleague's audacious attempt to mislead you with a noisy group of strangers is nothing more than another grievous injustice perpetrated upon my client! She-"

"SHUT UP!"

The courtroom went quiet.

"You're fired! Get out!" Wendy said staring at the table before her, trembling.

Holland leaned in to speak to her. "I said you're fired! Get away from me!" Wendy yelled.

Ben stared in her direction in surprise and saw Holland stand and nod to the judge as he collected his brief case and walked stiffly down the aisle. Ben watched him as he exited the court. Two police officers were waiting for him and took him into custody. Ben looked back towards Wendy but she was looking at Derek. He was rubbing her back and whispering to her.

"Don't! Don't touch me. Never again. Leave! Don't come back," she hissed at the man.

Derek stood and glared down at her. "Fucking bitch!" he growled and stormed off with a final glare at Ben.

Now Ben could see Wendy as she faced forward. He saw the signs of the disease that had taken her mother. Wendy was ill.

"Mrs. Shepherd-" the judge began.

"Harrison. Call me... Wendy Harrison. I don't want his name linked to mine anymore," Wendy said tiredly.

"I'm certainly willing to grant you the divorce if that is what you want," Judge Billings said.

"Yes," Wendy sighed, still looking at the table surface.

"What was the point of this hearing?" the judge asked.

"We weren't supposed to see the inside of a courtroom. Holland convinced me Ben wouldn't risk us going to the press with our story and would pay up. He met Ben on several occasions to threaten him with it." She snorted and looked over at Ben for the first time.

Ben saw the same bitterness in her eyes he'd seen in that restaurant the night she'd left him. "He didn't pay. Holland said he was going to have to play dirty but still, he didn't pay."

"Ms. Harrison, you understand you are implicating yourself in a case of extortion," Billings said.

"I'm dying! It doesn't matter, does it," she growled.

The judge looked at Walter and raised his eyebrows. "No I suppose it does not. I am granting the dissolution of your marriage." He signed the paperwork. "This hearing is adjourned. Case dismissed."

"All rise," the Bailiff called out as the judge left and the gallery erupted in cheers.

Ben watched as Wendy shrank in on herself just a little more. He stood and moved to her table ignoring the calls from behind him.

"Wendy, may I sit?"

She wouldn't look at him but she nodded so he took the chair next to hers.

"Why didn't you just... speak to me directly?" he asked.

She was quiet for a moment then she looked at him. Her eyes contained rage and confusion. "Because you still love me! Don't you get it? I don't love you!" she hissed.

Ben felt the pain of that but pushed it aside. He shrugged.

"Why didn't you just pay?" Wendy asked. "You're rich now I hear."

"Because it's not my money. It belongs to them." He gestured to the gallery over his shoulder. "I do what I can to take care of them. What do you want? What can I do to take care of you? Have there been any breakthroughs in experimental medicines? Clinical studies?"

Wendy sat back and stared at Ben incredulously. She shook her head then frowned as a tear rolled down her cheek. She caught Ben's hand twitch like he was going to reach for it. She wiped it away herself. It was too much.

"There... there's a clinic. In Switzerland. They can help... I think," she said finally, all of her energy gone.