A Struggle

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The potions master shook her head at him, confused and shocked. "You foolish paladin, what in the world are you thinking, running out here into the wilderness of the marsh with no weapons, no armor?! Do you think the goddess, or the Light that you worship, is going to protect you from the beasts and creatures out here with you so-" She stopped, shaking her head and sighing. "What can I help you with, my student?"

Lance shifted uneasily, frowning. He'd been completely called out on his decision and his lack of preparation for any kind of fight. "I-...forgive me, master, for my foolishness. I...you are one of the wisest beings I know. I need...your advice...about something...about a matter...very um...personal..." He shifted as his voice trailed off.

Lauranna arched an eye brow at him. "Wow, she does have you chasing her tail, doesn't she? And who might I ask is this woman who has your mind running a muck and has you running around with no armor and no weapons?" Her gaze was disarming and her expression one of passive intimidation.

"I-..." He struggled to speak, completely caught off guard by the degree of perception and accuracy she had seen through him to recognize what was truly taking place in this student of hers. He looked surprised at first, then submitting as he frowned. Nothing was hidden from this master of alchemy, and he could not maintain any facade or mystery, he now realized.

Lance told the story of Magdalia VanCleef, of her vexingly, canny ability to tie up his tongue. He told her of the blood elf, of the warlock. He shared his concerns about them both, about how unqualified he felt to vanquish the woman of evil and disarm the elf. Lauranna frowned and thought on this a moment. She turned, searching through her things, and gave him something. It was a trinket, and a collection of vials. "Take this shadow ward, and these protection potions...and then, get a flare from the quartermaster. If this Ariadne of the shadow cult should attack you, use this flare, and the ward, and be sure to consume one of these potions. I will speak with Ysiel Windsinger and explain to her the situation. If there are any expedition members in your area when you fire the flare, regardless if you are in the marsh or if you are in the city of the Naaru, aid from the expedition will come to you and help you vanquish this sorcerer of darkness. Honestly, what kind of a teacher would I be if I did not assist a student of mine who came for aid simply because he leaves the marsh?"

Lance nodded to her, smiling more comfortably. She pursed her lips at him and thumped him lightly on top of the head with the head of her staff. "But I'd better not see you consuming any of that...that alcohol you dwarfs and humans seem to think is so agreeable. Now go, my student. Return to the city, search out this sorceress of darkness, and be rid of her hold. Once you have done that, return to me and we can decide together how best to..." She couldn't help but smile and almost laugh, "...for you to win back your silly human wife. I'd suspect there is more there than meets the eye and that the situation is more complicated than you think. Knowing blood elves...I'd be willing to stake quite a bit on the possibility that there is much more to him than simple affections for a young, beautiful, human girl..."

Lance smiled, nodding. He mounted Vergere again and took to the sky. They'd return to the city and search out Ariadne. There, he could confront her...and maybe...he could save her from the darkness that had taken hold of her heart...

Mags stirred almost an hour later. She groaned as she labored to open her eyes. She pried her heavy eyelids open to see Bal's face so close to hers. She gasped and it caused him to open his eyes and gaze into hers with a grin. She did not smile back at Bal, she was in shock, her eyes followed down his body as far as she could see. She could feel her skin against his, she could feel her arms around his bare back and his arms around her. All her muscles tensed as she went to move her legs and found one of them wrapped around him. She was confused, utterly embarrassed and beginning to get enraged. She could not remember what happened after she saw Bal sit at the table in the tavern. She shut her eyes tight hoping she was just having a nightmare and when she opened them again she was met with Bal's snide grin once more. Her muscles felt weakened but she was in so much shock she was not pulling away from him.

He whispered to her so she could hear him as his hands rubbed up and down her back, "Didn't think you'd ever wake up, sleepy head..." He kissed the tip of her nose playfully, still ignoring what was going on nearby, "So...do you have enough energy for another?" Her eyes widened at "another." Did she really betray Lance so quickly after all she had worked for with him? Did she really succumb to Bal's charms? Her lack of judgment would be monumental if she had done such a thing. She slowly pulled her leg back to her and her hands began backing away as she tried to lie on her back but he did not allow her. His arms were still around her and he was holding very tightly. She looked into his eyes with a pleading look.

"W-Wh-What happened? No...I wouldn't have...did we really? Bal, come on, you're joking..." She was whispering but she was straining to talk louder. Her hands finally reached his chest where she began pushing with all her might trying to pry his arms off of her. "Bal, let me go...I need to sit up..." He looked at her and just smiled not moving his arms, with obviously enough strength to hold even tighter to her.

"Aw, Mags, I can't let you go, not after this...I just want to hold you close, can't we cuddle for a while longer?" He winked at her still grinning. Her face turned to disgusted. She struggled harder to get away, her knees working to pry him off too with no success. She reached a hand down to her waist and found no dagger, she had no pants either and blushed. She glared at him.

"Where are my clothes, Bal? I want them back..." She spoke to him slightly louder and tight lipped.

"Calm down Mags they are right here where you threw them in the heat of our passion." He grinned more at her still keeping her from getting up or moving away. Her face changed again looking into his eyes and seeing his grin. She was disappointed...with herself and that they obviously experienced something that she had no memory of. She believed every lie that came passed his teeth. She shook her head and shut her eyes breaking the gaze between them.

"No, Bal, I can't...I don't know what...but I just can't stay here with you, I need to find Lance...I'm sure he's not..." She worked harder to push him off, her knees making some room between their hips.

His mouth dropped open in surprise and disappointment, "Lance? How can you even think about him? After what's happened I thought for sure I had changed your mind about him...come on, Mags just give in to your feelings, you know you want me." His grin was so sly, she got angry, but mostly with herself. She shook her head more, pushing him away with all her might and finally gaining some ground.

"Just let me think, Bal. I want to get dressed and talk about this..." He finally let go and she sat up looking over him and seeing the pile of clothes reaching as fast as she could for her daggers and held them tight. She pulled them back to her and sat up on her knees letting her head turn slowly, trying to see where she was. She glared down at Bal as she sheathed her daggers. He turned over onto his back and put his hands behind his head flexing his massive muscles in his arms, chest and stomach just smiling up at her. She reached for her pants but as she leaned over him, her eyes wandered down his body for a moment stunned by the perfection she saw. She shook her head again trying to stay focused. She put her pants on rather clumsily as she sat there but her eyes went back to stare at Bal.

"Mags...you're so beautiful, you know that?" He smiled at her with all the charm he could ooze out, continuing to flex his muscles for her.

She blushed at him still taking him all in, "Really? You think so?...even though I'm just a...human?" Her eyes met his looking for his honesty. He just nodded at her looking her over. She smiled back at him giving into his charm. She timidly raised a hand above him and then let it slowly down to rest on his chest. She used her fingers to trace the lines of his flexed muscles. Her eyes followed her fingers and he closed his eyes grinning as he sighed.

"Your touch is so soothing..." he took a deep breath, "...don't ever stop." She allowed her body to relax next to him as she leaned over him resting all her weight on her other hand, her hair falling over her shoulder as she cocked her head to the side and gazed at him.

"You don't have to worry about that..." her eyes met his and she returned the same sly grin that he had given her, "I love touching you." She lowered herself next him, her face close to his. She assumed she had already done the worst so what was the harm in doing it again. She leaned into him, closing her eyes and he lifted his head to meet her in a kiss. The kiss was warm and soft, but the passion was not there. She pulled back and blushed at him once more and keeping her eye contact with him she reached over him, this time allowing herself to brush against him as she did to grab the rest of her clothes and got dressed right in front of him and he did the same.

"So, when are you going to tell your husband?" He asked as he sat up crossing his legs.

She looked down sitting in front of him, facing him, "I don't plan to...he shouldn't know."

"But Mags...what about us? I thought we could be together now..." Her eyes met his without a smile.

"No, Bal...we can never be together. I love my husband and I intend on doing so for the rest of my life. He can never know about this. I don't even know about it...for some reason...that little nap of mine wiped my whole memory of it." These words made Bal's face change to saddened.

"Wow...I'm so glad I made such an impression on you. What does your husband do to keep your attention that I can't do?"

"He loves me and I love him...that's what!" She became defensive and was beginning to lean away.

He grabbed her hand in his, "Alright...you win...just don't say I can never see you again, because I couldn't bare it...please...we can still be friends, right?" She nodded slowly, holding his hand. "Good, and don't worry Mags I won't tell Lance a thing." He winked and smiled at her which caused her to huff out a laugh as they both stood up. They hugged and he kissed her forehead. "See you tomorrow?"

She looked up at him as she stepped away holding his hands in hers, "Sure...I'll see what I can do..." She giggled for a moment and turned whistling for Thunderbrew. She mounted him as he approached and waved to Bal and blew him a kiss before she turned Thunderbrew away and raced back to the Aldor rise to wash up before looking for Lance.

Slowly, Lance descended upon the terrace of light, his gryphon slowly making her way down to the surface of the terrace. He let her go as he took the trinket and pushed the flare gun into the loop of his belt, letting it hold safely against his waist. He used the shadow ward that had been given to him and took one of the protection potions from the bag, drinking one and setting the other four back in his bags.

He held The Oathkeeper in his hands as he walked slowly around the terrace in search of Aria. He had no idea if he'd find her, or if she was even still looking for him. Perhaps she had given up searching for him? He just wanted to be rid of her so that he could rectify the situation with Magdalia.

He wondered, though, where Magdalia might have gone. When he arrived back at the rise to retrieve his armor, she had gone. Was she...perhaps with Bal...somewhere...alone? He felts his eyes water as he thought about it, thought about losing her.

He heard it this time, the whoosh of the shadow bolt through the air that came from behind him. He turned around and held up his shield to hope to deflect it, but the magic simply passed through him where it was absorbed by his protection potion's shield. But, he could still feel the shield wavering. He called on the light to help him resist her power and then imbued himself with a righteous fury, swinging the mace at her. It took her in the side and knocked her off her feet.

Aria stood back up and struck Lance with her mind. He could feel his body burn as the many curses and dark magics she cast, her spells of destruction, began to take hold of him. He reached for the flare gun and tried to fire, but she sent him running with an uncontrollable fear, continuing to call on her power to help destroy him.

Lance felt weak as he fell to the floor. No...he didn't want to die, and they were in a part of the city where no one would be frequenting. He tried to throw his hammer of wrath, but she merely moved out of its way. She began to drain his life again, slowly sucking it away as he tried to come after her...

Mags finished washing on the Aldor rise and she called for Thunderbrew again. She told him to find Lance if he was still in the city and Thunderbrew took off. He raced down to the terrace of light and looked around before taking off in a direction. She could see two figures in the distance and she pulled on her ram's reigns to slow him. She looked carefully at the situation. Lance was on the ground struggling and the warlock was standing tall and proud on the attack. Mags dismounted Thunderbrew and sent him off and grabbed her daggers as she slipped into the shadows.

She saw that the warlock had all her focus on Lance and was casting something that was keeping Lance on the ground. She pulled back her daggers struck a cheap shot behind Aria's back causing her to stand still a moment and halt the casting. Mags was now out of the shadows but ready for the fight. She quickly drank a potion that Lance had given her for such an occasion and before Aria could gain her standing again she let forth her blade furry. Her daggers moved so swiftly across Aria's body. She was using all the energy she had. Aria was no longer stunned and turned her focus on Mags. Mags stopped striking so frequently to gain some of her energy back but not letting that stop her from doing some damage. Aria seemed only slightly scathed.

Aria began to drain Mags' life and Mags was weakened for a moment and then stood and turned her body so that she could kick Aria in the stomach to stop the concentration of power. Mags was still waning, her energy was faltering. She let loose all she could knowing that Aria would only have another spell waiting. Mags kept striking finding that she could continuously strike critical spots if she used the right combination of attacks. Aria was about to cast her shadowbolt and Mags saw it forming in her hands. Swiftly, Mags drew her dagger back and stabbed it into Aria's side...a kidney shot. Aria crippled over, unable to cast.

Mags glanced at Lance hoping he had regained enough strength to now assist her in the fight. Her eyes pleading towards him trying to communicate that she felt she could not hold out much longer.

He felt the spell's power dissipate and moved to get on his hands and knees. He looked up to see Aria fighting...Magdalia. He groaned loudly as he got back to his feet. He cast a blessing of protection on Mags and then called a hammer of justice on Aria. He knew that the blessing would not protect Mag's from Aria's spells, but at least it would keep her safe from any physical harm. He cast a spell of holy light over Mags, helping to restore her health and cleansed her, hoping to dispel any remaining dark magics that were cast on her. He called for divine favor to increase the power of his next spell and shocked Aria with the power of the light. He then called for the light to help restore his own health and cast a spell over Aria to make each hit he or Mags made on Aria slowly restore their life.

He called for justice and began swinging his truncheon, holding his shield up to block Aria's staff. He began pummeling her, each time increasing the chance that justice would leave her dazed and disoriented. He yelled to Mags to run, to get away, to leave him and go find safety. His shadow protection shield broke as Aria hit him with another bolt, the sound of her power rippling through the air with another whoosh.

He looked at the flare gun and discarded it, throwing it down on the ground as the power of his truncheon gave him blinding speed. His hits, one after another, left Aria in a constant daze, unable to begin casting a single spell.

He saw her life fading and called on another hammer of wrath, its fury coming down on her with all the fury of the light. It broke her and she fell to the ground. Lance drew The Oathkeeper and called upon his righteous power, hitting Aria over and over with the power of the light until she stopped moving, and called down a judgment of righteousness.

Aria's body seemed to lie still, unmoving as Lance slowly shut his eyes, falling to his knees. He felt weak and disoriented as his eyes closed a moment. He held himself up off the ground, letting his weapon fall to the ground. His breathing was deep and slow, the time between breaths increased by his exhaustion. He almost completely forgot about Magdalia as he felt the tears flow down his cheeks.

He was devastated by Aria's death, angry with himself that he had been unable to show her the error of her ways and bring her back into the light. He apologized to the lifeless corpse, pleading for forgiveness as he sat there, his head bowed in remorse as he wept openly...

Bal landed his Windrider back on the Scryer rise and looked around. He rode his mount towards the inn and called out for Ethriall. She ran out of the inn and greeted him with a smile. He looked back at her angry. She whistled for her Windrider and she followed close behind him to the portals back to Azeroth. She watched him go through the one for Silvermoon City and she quickly followed behind him.

Bal and Ethriall walked down and found a bench near one of the many fountains and sat together. He ran his hands through his hair and sighed in frustration. She looked at him and leaned against the side of the bench pulling one of her legs under the other facing him.

"What happened, Bal?" She bit her lip as he grunted at her. "That bad? You didn't...rush the plan...did you?" She jumped as he slammed his fist into the bench. "You did...and what changed that made you do that?" His eyes burned as he turned and glared at her.

"It was perfect, it should have been perfect. Kylene at the tavern let slip about that human and I and her stupid husband fell for it. I don't understand what happened..." He ran his hands through his hair again leaning his head back, "I used the diluted poison and the set up was perfect...but he never showed. Sure, I fooled her but that can only go so far...now I've prolonged this plan way more than it should be." He stuck his tongue out and spit on the ground, "and she kissed me, I didn't think there was anything as revolting as touching her...but kissing her was enough to make me almost lose it and slice her up right then and there."

She snickered at him and stopped when he glared, "I guess that's why you never take a weapon with you when you go to her." She patted him on the back and folded her knees in front of herself, letting him lean over in her lap. She softly stroked his hair as he sighed frustrated again. "I'm sure you will think of something else...something even worse for that horrible ugly creature. I'm sure you will find something that will make her suffer even more, and even more definite that her husband will not mourn when you kill her."

1...45678...17