A Summer on the Road Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As they sat and listened for a few more minutes Paul looked at her again. She was looking out into the distance, her blue eyes dancing in the light. He took a deep breath. She looked over at him. "What?"

"Nothing," he replied quickly. In reality, the feeling of her presence had washed over him in a way that he hadn't felt in a long time. It had been so long that he had almost forgotten what is was like to be so close to a beautiful woman, just sitting and listening to music. The feeling was both unsettling and exhilarating at the same time.

He gave his head a shake. "Lets do a walk around of the full rig," he continued quickly, realizing that a message had been conveyed. She smiled at him knowingly.

Paul got out and walked around to her side as she opened the door. He told her where to hold onto and what steps to use to safely dismount the cab. His intention was to let her step down but he stood there with arms out to spot her if necessary. Jane stood on the last step and was about to reach a foot to the ground when she hesitated and then purposely fell into his arms. He instinctively grabbed her around the waist and held her from falling. Jane wrapped her arms around his neck and held on.

The brat was back.

Looking into his eyes she smiled, still holding on despite his attempts to set her on the ground. "Sorry, I stumbled. Thanks for catching me." Slowly releasing her arms, without taking her eyes off his, she stepped back. Her smile deepened as she noticed his cheeks colouring and his eyes shift uncomfortably. She wanted a reaction and she silently enjoyed his awkwardness. This was going to be fun!

Paul was off balance but pulled himself together and completed the walk around. He gave her the information package and called it a day. He wanted to be away from her and wasn't entirely sure why. Back at his desk in the dispatch office he sat looking out the window.

Since Gillian had died Paul had not been with another woman intimately. Friends had set him up with dates after a half year had passed and he was grateful for their concern. However, he felt no response around women. He had talked with his sister Emily about how he felt or rather didn't feel. She knew he was still hurting badly and gently told him to be patient and let his feelings come when they would. He had once kissed a date good night and held her closely. She was a truly gorgeous redhead with a great sense of humour but he felt no response to the kiss. He was too embarassed by his non-reaction to a beautiful woman to ask her out again. After a year and a half his friends stopped trying to set him up.

But with Jane in his arms he had felt something and he couldn't shake the feeling. Finally he threw his head back and laughed out loud. Figures that maybe he had felt something for the only woman in his universe that he absolutely couldn't touch. Despite the fact there was nothing funny about the image of his balls being nailed to his boss's wall, he had to laugh at the irony.

He got up and headed out to pick up his girls at after school care, shaking off the feeling. If Jane was his summer project then he would get it done. He could do it, smart ass spoiled brat or not.

****

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed the story so far. Please vote. A good rating is very encouraging.

12