A Summer on the Road Pt. 09

Story Info
Travelling together again and a new adventure.
10.9k words
4.84
19.7k
36

Part 9 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 01/10/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This was slow in coming I realize but I hope you enjoy this chapter. If you are new to the story please read the earlier chapters for the context.

*****

The party was at full blast as the birthday girl wound her way through the crowd at the edge of the pool near the BBQ. Jane was intent on tracking Tara down, who she guessed was holed up in the kitchen arranging the food to go out to the patio. Her parents had hired a catering company to provide the food and had two servers circulating in the crowd with food and drink. Tara was managing the flow of trays out to the patio and pool area. Vera and Henry had checked out for the night leaving David and Henry Junior in charge of keeping the lid on the festivities. Henry Jr was mostly chatting up girls in the pool.

Jane was anxiously scanning the crowd for Paul, unaware that he had already come and gone. Suddenly she heard a shriek behind her and a yell, "Hey girlfriend, you're an adult now!" She turned to see Ginny, a favourite friend from her private high school who she hadn't seen since the last summer. Ginny came up and threw her arms around Jane, giving her a big hug. Having just arrived, she had missed the 20 spanks delivered to the squealing birthday girl earlier in the evening.

"How does it feel to be grown up?" Ginny gushed to a blushing Jane.

"Well, I'm not exactly planning my retirement just yet but yeah, no longer a teenager. Got to get some big girl pants and all that. By the way, really great to see you."

"You look amazing in this suit," Ginny said holding Jane at arms length and looking up and down Jane's body barely concealed by the skimpy bikini. She focused on Jane's long toned legs, smooth flat tummy and perfectly shaped breasts barely hidden by the tiny top.

"Thanks. You look great too and thanks for coming for the party. I was really hoping you could make it," Jane thanked her good friend who had driven from Montreal for the 20th birthday bash.

Ginny pulled Jane over to a lounger off to the side of the pool. Both girls sat down and Ginny said, "So Tara tells me you're a truck driver now. How is that going?"

"Good, really good. I have a great instructor. I'm hoping he comes tonight. He should be here now but I haven't seen him yet." Jane was agitated and looking around for Paul.

"I'd like to meet him. Is this strictly professional or is there more to it? Tara hinted more by the way."

Jane gave her a weak smile. "It was pretty rocky at first and I don't think he really wanted to be around me. He was more or less compelled by my dad to take me on as a summer project. I gave him a lot of grief at first, you know, daughter of the owner and all that but he wasn't going to take any shit from me. He sort of put me in my place early on and then things sort of developed from there."

Ginny was intrigued by Jane's summary. "What's he like? He must be older if he is mentoring you."

"Yeah, He's twenty seven, tall, well built, and ..." Jane fired a sly smile Ginny's way, "He has a really cute ass."

"Oh yeah. Have you checked it out closely?" she said with a big grin

"Uh huh," Jane said, returning the big smile.

"So what does his job description say about taking care of the Boss's daughter," Ginny said with a straight face but a gleam in her eye.

"Well, you know my dad, right? The message he got from Dad was to keep his little girl safe and out of the clutches of any guy including him."

"Wow, No touching The Princess eh? And where's the fun in that. So I am guessing the rules got bent huh."

"Yeah, I pushed and prodded, just for fun at first but, well, you have to meet this guy. He's gorgeous and I really like him a lot. It took awhile to .. um .. well you can guess where this is going, but yeah we worked through the 'Jane is untouchable' stuff and well, the summer so far has been a blast."

"Do I get to meet him tonight?"

Jane jumped up, pulling Ginny with her. "C'mon, lets find Tara and see whats up. He should be here by now."

Jane grabbed her cover off a chair as she dragged her friend towards the house."

Tara and David were in the kitchen working with the catering staff when Jane and Tara came in. Tara smiled weakly at Jane.

"Hey Birthday Girl. Having fun?"

"Yep, other than the sore ass from getting the spanks - I thought that stuff was over when we were fourteen."

"Yeah, but some of those guys haven't matured much past there."

"No kidding, So speaking of mature, have you seen Paul."

Tara shot David a look, hoping for help but he just shook his head. "Umm .. he was here earlier, but I think he had to leave."

"What! Why? I didn't even see him. Why did he leave?" Jane exclaimed, her voice incredulous.

"Well ... I took him out to the pool area just as those knuckleheads led by chief nitwit Brad and his side kick Phillip were giving you the spanks and throwing you in the pool. He just sort of took it all in and then had to leave."

"Tara, why didn't you stop him?" Jane practically hollered at her.

"I tried, but he didn't take it well when those guys sort of sandwiched you between them in the pool."

"Oh God! Didn't you tell him they were just idiots who don't mean anything to me."

"Jane, I told him you would be hurt if he left without seeing you but he just said he had to go and then left. I'm really sorry I couldn't get him to stay. Really. Maybe there was something up with his kids."

Ginny shot Jane a look."Kids! He has kids?"

"Two little girls."

"Wow, you sure are taking this growing up thing seriously. Does that mean he's married?"

"Ginny look, I'll fill you in later but I've got to find out what's going on. If you will excuse me I've got to find my phone."

"David, Tara, could you go out and keep everyone happy. I've got to call him. Ginny, can you help Tara entertain? I'll be back but I've got to call him from somewhere quiet. See you in a bit." Jane hurried out of the kitchen, picked up her phone and headed to her room. She had a bad feeling about what had happened.

******

Paul heard his phone ring as he stepped out of his pickup. He and the girls lived in a small bungalow that had been the family home with Gillian. The house was situated on a country road to the north west of the Greater Toronto Area. The Robertson estate was a short drive away.

Jane's name showed on the screen. He hesitated and then swiped to pick up. "Hi," he answered tentatively.

"Paul, where are you? Why did you leave the party with out even saying hi to me. What happened?"

He took a deep breath and answered slowly, "I just didn't feel good about being there tonight. I'm sorry but I just didn't feel right being there."

"Paul, tell me it wasn't those clowns who threw me into the pool. Tara said you saw some of the stupid stuff going on .. the spanks and everything."

Paul leaned back against the truck and held his forehead in his hand and tried to collect his thoughts. He knew this call was coming but it didn't make it any easier. He was a total mess. He felt terrible for not speaking to her at the party. And he was reeling at what he planned to say to her now. In fact he couldn't do it now. He had done enough damage to her on the night of her party. He resolved to meet and talk later.

Finally, he almost whispered over the phone, "Jane we need to talk. Tonight's not the time. Lets meet soon, tomorrow night if you can. Okay?"

"Paul, what are you trying to tell me? Do you not want me anymore? I thought we were past that." Jane was reeling. She couldn't believe this was happening. The sounds of the party were filtering through the window of her room, now an unwanted distraction.

"Look Jane, just go back to your party. We can talk tomorrow. Lets meet at the Starbucks in town. I'll ask my mother to watch the girls again. I can be back for bedtime. Are you okay with that?"

"No, I'm not okay but yes I will meet you at Starbucks tomorrow."

*****

Paul arrived early at the coffee shop. Jane was right on time. She came over and sat down across the table from him. He had trouble meeting her gaze.

Jane launched right into it, no formalities, she just blurted out, "Paul, whats going on? What did I do?"

"Jane, Its complicated and hard for me to put into words. In answer to your question from last night, 'Do I want you?' you have no idea how much I want you. I just don't think I can have you."

"Paul, you have totally got me. Think of the things we've done together. Not just the sex, which has been mind blowing for me and I hope for you, but the travel and adventures. I loved our time together out west. I'm guessing you want to end what we have and I can't believe it. We are good together."

"Jane, that's just it. We are good together but really, we know how this is going to end and end soon. I'm having a really hard time with that."

"Why did this happen last night? It was just a party. Was it the idiots at the pool"

"It wasn't just the guys around you. It just became clear to me that we are just simply at two different points in our lives. You need to be with carefree people your own age, your own background."

"Paul, fuck those guys. They were just being nitwits. I want to be with you. I don't need them. I want to go driving with you and be around your kids and yeah, I want to sleep with you. Fuck your brains out and all that."

He smiled at her and they both laughed at her crudeness. "C'mon, lets buy a coffee and go for a walk. We can sit in the park without everyone looking funny at us."

They walked silently down the street and into the small park beside the stream running through town. Sitting on a park bench, watching the water flow by neither spoke for some time. Paul finally broke the silence. "I've come to realize that I'm not up for casual. I want a relationship."

"Is what we have, or had, just casual. Is that all it was?" Jane asked reaching over and putting her hand on top of his. Paul looked down and flinched at the touch. Jane had dressed to make this as difficult as possible for Paul. Her black yoga tights wrapped beautifully around her toned and shapely thighs and rear. Over a black sports bra Jane wore a purple tank top that accentuated her tanned and toned arms and shoulders."

"By the way you look really good in this outfit."

"Thanks. So what's this about casual?"

"Okay, there was nothing casual about what we've done, It was intense. And I loved every minute of being with you, starting with Northern Ontario. The swim in the lake was fun. The ocean kayaking was amazing."

"So, why don't we spend the rest of the summer doing other things. I'm okay if its just driving to new places, whatever we do I'll be fine with it."

Paul took a deep breath. He was in turmoil. Her presence sitting beside him, her hand on his was sending shock waves through his core. His heart ached. It wasn't the same as losing a partner the way he had lost Gillian but the thought of her going back to school and out of his life was killing him. He resolved again to cut his losses now, not later. He also wanted to let her down gently. He turned to look at her and said, "Can we put a week or two between seeing each other and then maybe talk again. I can set you up for drives with other guys I know you will find okay. Besides, I'd like to spend more summer time with my kids."

"Okay, a week then. Will we go out again together, on the road, after that?"

"Can we see how the next couple of weeks go first."

Jane paused and watched some people on the footpath beside the stream. The sun was getting lower in the sky and the shadows of the trees were edging towards the park bench. After a deep sigh, she said quietly, "Paul, I really don't know what to think. This is all so new for me. I've never had a guy do to me what you do. I go to sleep at night thinking of you beside me, cuddling me, kissing me and being inside me. You make sex come alive for me. And when I wake up I feel the same way."

"I think the same way of you."

"Then we are crazy to not take it from each other."

"What? For another six weeks before school and then we go back to before we met. That might be easier for you in a university environment. I'm going to find it difficult."

"Paul, my school is just over an hour away on a good day. We could still see each other often."

He sat up at this comment from her. Jane had never spoken of the time beyond the summer. He tried but he couldn't help a small glow from spreading in his heart at her words. He restrained himself however.

"Jane I still want to be your friend and maybe more but lets let it cool for a while. I'll see you around the yard and it will be good for you to get some experience with other drivers."

"Okay, but I want you to promise me we will go on the road again, sometime before the summer ends."

"Lets talk later about that."

Shortly after Paul left for home to put the girls to bed. Jane went home as well. She wanted to talk to her mom.

****

True to his word, Paul arranged with the dispatch office to team Jane up with one of the long time drivers that Paul trusted implicitly. George Simmons agreed Edgar Wakeman was a good choice but he was perplexed as to why Paul seemed reluctant to go with her. He understood that Jane was working out really well, much to his surprise and that of the other long time transport staff. It had been over two weeks since they had last taken a run together.

That day Paul was checking some loads in the Robertson Trucking compound when he received a text from Jane: *Dad gave me tickets for the Jays' game tomorrow. I would like to take Beatrice and Zoe. They look so cute in their Jays ball caps and they seem to know so much about the team.*

Paul smiled looking at his phone. Neither girl had ever been to a live game and he wasn't sure if it could hold Zoe's attention for long but it would be a nice outing for his daughters. He typed back: *Zoe might be sleepy by the end. You might have to carry her out of the Park*

*I think I could manage it but I've got four tickets. Can you come as well? *

His pulse sped up at the thought of seeing her again. He tried to control the sense of anticipation the thought of being beside her again, even if it was in a stadium full of other people. He typed in: *Okay, if you're sure no one else from your family/friends wants to go I can make it.*

*Awsome! pick me up tomorrow. See you then.*

***

A Jays versus Red Sox game is always a big draw in Toronto and Jane's father had given them tickets for great seats behind the visitor's dugout. Zoe seemed to have little interest in the play on the field but was enthralled by the enthusiasm of the crowd and all the treats that were coming her way. Paul and Jane sandwiched the girls between them with Paul watching carefully for foul balls coming the children's way. Beatrice knew all the players on the Jays and some of the Red Sox. Paul had no idea where this knowledge came from but he was impressed with her enthusiasm for the game.

Paul tried to concentrate on the play but he stole glances over to Jane. She was wearing white jeans that made her legs seem to go on for ever. On top she had a Blue Jays jersey with Donaldson on the back. Her hair was in a pony tail tucked through her Jays ball cap. He thought she looked absolutely delicious and this sent a searing pain into his chest. He couldn't decide if this outing with her was the best thing he had done in weeks or the worst thing. Being with her reminded him of what he was leaving behind.

Jane seemed totally at ease and connected with his children. They chattered away to her with a familiarity that he had seen with few other people since Gillian. Seeing them holding her hand as the three of them walked up for a washroom break and more popcorn made his heart ache. His kids needed a mother so much. In other circumstances, he realized, Jane would be perfect. He only hoped she would visit them when school and life permitted. Their growing attachment to Jane was so evident.

Zoe started to fade in the 7th inning and Paul suggested that with the dreaded Sox up 6 runs they leave rather than wait for the bitter end. Paul carried Zoe out and towards the subway for the trip up to his truck in the commuter lot. The three girls found a bench together and Paul sat across the isle. Zoe practically crawled into Jane's arms and Beatrice leaned against her.

Paul and Jane's eyes met as the kids dozed off in the shaking and rattling subway car. She smiled at him and held his gaze while she nuzzled her nose and lips into Zoe's hair. Paul saw love and warmth in her eyes. There was silent communication going on that neither of them could ignore.

With the kids in their car seats, Jane and Paul sat in the front of his pickup on the drive home. They chatted about her recent local trips and how the features of the new cabs were panning out. She never ceased to impress him with her growing knowledge of the trucks and the business in general. Dropping her off at the Robertson Estate, Jane reached into the rear seat of the pickup cab and gave each girl a hug and kiss. The girls both thanked Aunt Jane for the trip to the game.

Standing in front of the driver's window Jane said, "Paul thanks for letting me take the girls. They are so sweet and polite. You should be really proud of them."

"Really, the thanks should go to you for scoring the tickets. Please pass my thanks on to your dad. Oh, and say hello to Vera for me."

"Will do, and Paul," Jane said softly, looking him in the eye, "I really enjoyed you and your family tonight. Those kids are special. You are a lucky guy to have them." With that she leaned into the cab and kissed him lightly on the lips. Pulling away she turned and walked toward the front door of her home, turning around briefly to give him a quick wave.

Paul took several deep breaths as he watched her walk into the house. Putting the truck in gear he pulled out of the driveway. The kiss had shaken him badly.

***

The dishwasher tray rattled loudly as Henry rolled it back into the machine. Looking over at Vera he asked, "Where's Jane tonight?"

"With Tara. I think they were going to a movie or something. Speaking of, is it still going well for her at work?"

"Against all my expectations she is fitting right in. She's been out with Edgar on day runs and he reports back that our little girl is a natural behind the wheel."

"That's great to hear. I gathered it was going well. So can you tell me why she's not driving with Paul."

"No. Not sure what's going on there. David mentioned that he left suddenly from the birthday party and things seemed to have cooled off from there. Not sure what happened. They did go to the ball game with his daughters. I hope that went well. Has she said anything to you."

"Well, we did chat a bit. She is unhappy, about their relationship, just so you know," Vera offered to Henry.

"Well, as the dad, I guess I would be the last to find out. So what's up with them?"

"Well, first off, if you think that Jane really likes him you would be right. And I believe he likes her too. It's just that they are at such different points in their life. He's going to miss her when she goes back to school and I gather he wants to end it before then."

"Yeah, I get it. You know this is kind of weird for me. At the start of the summer I didn't want any guy touching my girl. And now I'm thinking they should be together, Paul and Jane that is. And I'm even accepting that they do more together than talk about trucks, if you know what I mean."

"Henry, what you really want, if you don't mind me telling you, is that she finds a guy who will treat her right and appreciate her for everything she is, not some guy who sees her as some hot young babe. Paul Cain, I believe, is someone who could see past the sexy young woman that Jane is. You want a guy like him to want her. Believe me, there are men out there who you don't want coming within a mile of our daughter."