A Sweet Tender Love Story for Bob

Story Info
Love is found in small town.
16.5k words
4.63
24.9k
6
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
normique
normique
51 Followers

It was a beautiful spring day. Tulips of every color imaginable bloomed in gardens, along with daffodils in hues of yellow. The crocus with their skirts of blue purple white and yellow were gone, hiding beneath the ground, waiting for the next year when they would pop their little heads through the remaining winter snow, assuring mankind that the life cycle is once again being renewed.

Bob drove to town that day and went directly to the nursery to order plants to put into his gardens at his country home. He had a good idea what he wanted, but decided to look at the Nursery catalogs to see what was new. His objective was to fill his gardens with perennials that didn't need much care and use brightly colored annuals as border plants. He consulted with the nursery manager, placed his order and was on his way.

His business at the nursery had taken the better part of the morning and his stomach was growling in protest, because he hadn't taken time to eat breakfast. He pulled his pickup into the parking lot of The Breakfast Nook, parked and went inside.

The restaurant was between breakfast and lunch rush hours so he wasn't surprised to see empty seats. He sat down in his favorite booth just as the waitress walked into the dinning room from the kitchen.

"Hey, Bob, good morning."

"Hey yourself Rita, how are you this morning?"

"I'm just fine and dandy. Woke up this morning and the birds were singing. Kind of nice to hear that after the long cold winter we had.

"Yes it is."

"I'll be cussing them out this summer though, when the little buggers wake me up at the crack of dawn. What will you have this morning Bob, the usual?"

"The usual Rita, and a cup of that steaming hot coffee that just tuned off."

"Coming right up."

Bob leaned back and stretched his long legs making himself comfortable, then looked out the window while sipping the hot brew. His mind wandered to when his wife of two years had died in a traffic accident. Christy had been physically beautiful with a beautiful spirit and an equally beautiful heart. She had a bubbly personality that drew people to her and a smile that was infectious. They had just started trying to have a family when her life ended, and his world ended. He knew he would never be the same.

After the funeral, he couldn't bear to live in their house without her. Every piece of furniture, every room, even the dishes reminded him of her. He put the house and its contents up for sale. Leaving the details in the hands of his business agent, he packed his few belongings, got in the car, and not knowing where he was going, started driving. He drove cross-country, not knowing what he was seeking, or when he would find it.

Weary of his travels after several weeks on the road, he decided it was time to make a decision. He wanted to find a place to live away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Fortunately he could run his business from anywhere, by keeping in touch with his business manager. The sign at the side of the road read, Peaceful, Population 1000.

He knew as soon as he entered the small town that this was the place he wanted to be. He couldn't quite put his finger on it; maybe it was the name Peaceful, whatever it was he had found the place he would call home. He drove through town on Main St. checking out the businesses, then up and down side streets looking at the old stately homes that had been there for who knew how long. The homes were well-maintained and landscaped with shrubs, flowers and trees. He caught sight of small vegetable gardens in back yards and heard the laughter of children enjoying their swing sets.

The first place he stopped after checking out the town was The Breakfast Nook. He was soon to learn the locals referred to it as simply, The Nook. It was small, but not too small, and tastefully decorated, with white lacy curtains on the windows and table cloths to match. Thick plate glass covered the lacy tablecloths for easy clean up. He liked the homey atmosphere and especially the friendly people inside.

He ordered breakfast from the waitress that had the name Rita on her name tag, right next to the lace trimmed dainty handkerchief pinned to the front of her spotless uniform. He often wondered why some waitresses did the handkerchief thing and decided someday he would ask her.

He lingered in the cafe long after he finished eating. He sat and sipped on coffee watching people come and go, most of who said hello to him, a complete stranger, some stopping to talk a few minutes. Everyone seemed to be on a first name basis.

He left the Nook and walked the two blocks to a real estate office he had spotted while driving through town. The man there answered questions he had about Peaceful and the surrounding area, and gave him a small brochure of homes for sale in and around Peaceful. He thanked the man, whom he found out later was the brother of Rita the waitress at the Breakfast Nook, shook his hand and left, brochure in his jacket pocket.

Being an astute businessman, he wasn't about to jump into anything rashly. Since money was no object, he rented the only suite at the local hotel. It was small, but clean and comfortable with Internet access and a restaurant off the main lobby, all he needed while investigating his options. The hotel had left a complimentary pack of coffee in the cupboard of the small kitchenette, so he put on a pot and waited for it to brew while he unpacked and settled in.

Later that evening he set up the laptop and emailed his business manager, telling him where he was, the phone number, and to contact him first thing in the morning. Several emails were sent to family and friends before he realized how tired he was. It had been a long drive and a long day. Stretching, he rose from the computer and decided it was time for a shower and bed.

The phone woke him with a jolt. Somewhat disoriented he fumbled for the receiver, knocking it to the floor. Picking it up he said, "Hello."

"Hello Bob, this is Jeff, did I wake you up? It sounds like it.

"Hi Jeff, ah yes, I was sleeping. What time is it?"

"It's 10 AM here, Bob. I got your email to call first thing in the morning, but I'm a little late."

"Damn, I was dead to the world. I never sleep this late. Give me a few minutes and I'll call you back."

He got up and dressed then put some coffee on while he gathered his thoughts. Drinking his morning cup, he called his business manager back and together they made some long overdue decisions. Business was good and getting better, his ducks were in a row, but his life felt empty.

Bob filled his hours becoming familiar with the area and house hunting. Two months passed. The same families had owned most of the houses in and around Peaceful for years, some for generations. Few houses came up for sale and the ones that did, didn't suit him. He had made up his mind that he wasn't going to settle for just anything. There was a parcel of land he had been eyeing that sported a For Sale sign, and it was time to inquire about it.

Gordon, the real estate broker told him he knew about that land. It was actually 15 acres and was now owned by the daughter of the previous owner who had willed it to her just before he died. She wanted to keep the house but was going to sell the five-acre parcel he had been looking at.

"Only five acres? I was hoping it was more than that. Do you think she would consider

selling more of the acreage?"

"She might," Gordon replied. "I could talk to her for you."

"I can talk to her myself. Is the house the little red the one that sits back off the road about one eight of a mile? I've seen it nestled among the grove of trees."

"Yep, that's it, but she isn't there. She lives in Chicago. The house has been empty since her father died over a year ago. It's kind of run down and needs some fixing up. I don't know what she wants with it, but she won't sell."

"May I have her phone number?"

"Nope, she doesn't want folks bothering her. I'm sorry, you'll have to go through me, that's the way she wants it"

"I see. How much does she want for the five acres?" Gordon looked it up and told him her asking price.

Bob asked for a sheet of paper and began writing. When finished he handed it to Gordon and said, "Here, mail this to her or read it to her. I want to purchase nine acres and build a house on it. This is how much I'll pay for it. If she's interested, call me."

Gordon looked the paper over. It was a letter of introduction with a more than generous amount offered for the land.

"I sure will Bob and will get back with you after I talk to her."

After leaving the real estate office he decided to ride out to the house and look it over, now that he knew it was empty. The house was fairly close to a dirt road that ran along one side. Since the For Sale sign was on the other end of the property, the land between this house and where he would build would remain empty. That's what he wanted, plenty of space, with his house right in the middle.

Gordon was right, the house was run down, but not so much that it couldn't be fixed and made livable. If it was his he would tear it down and start over, but that was not his problem. It was a two story house, with newer dark red vinyl siding and black shingles on the roof. It made a bold statement. The windows were trimmed in white that had turned gray, probably dust from the dirt road, he thought. The doors were locked so he looked in the windows under the partially pulled shades. It was well kept and fully furnished with white sheets over everything. I don't know why a person would want to keep this when they don't live here, he thought, but that isn't my business.

The longer he stayed in Peaceful the more he knew he belonged and was thankful he made the turn in the road that brought him there. He enjoyed the scenery, the people and the quiet. The slower pace was heaven compared to the rat race of the city. He would only need to fly to corporate headquarters three or four times a year. Even though he had excellent employees, he was very much the boss including making, minor and major decisions. The day to day business of taking care of business was easily handled wherever he was by phone or Internet.

Living in a hotel was beginning to get him down and he longed for a place of his own. He wanted a big yard where he could experiment with plants and shrubs and landscaping. It was his passion. He would make his house a showplace. With that thought in mind he made daily trips to the property, taking measurements, sitting in his car staring at the empty space and seeing in his mind exactly what he wanted. In the evenings he drew up plans for the house, changing the plans over and over again until he knew exactly what he wanted. All he needed was the land.

Two weeks passed and he had not heard a word from Gordon about the property, other than a phone call telling him he had given the information and the bid to the owner. He hadn't called Gordon, because he didn't want to appear overly anxious, but it was time to get this settled.

Bob walked the short distance from the hotel to the office, walked through the front door and greeted Gordon. After shaking hands, Gordon said, "Have a seat Bob. I assume you're here about the property?"

"Yes, I am. Have you had a reply from the owner?" "Miss Miller called this morning. She doesn't want to sell more than three acres, but has agreed to accept your offer, because she has no choice. To make a long story short, she needs the money. You're at the right place at the right time Bob."

"That's wonderful news Gordon! How soon can this be finalized?"

"As you know, inspectors have to inspect and surveyors have to survey, etc. etc. Papers need to be drawn up. What mortgage company or bank are you going with?"

"Neither. Cash, always cash."

"Well, that should simplify things. I'll get together with Miss Miller about the particulars and when the necessary papers are drawn up, you can show them to your attorney and all that's left for you and Miss Miller to do, is sign the dotted lines. I'll get right on it."

"Deal. Thank you, Gordon."

After shaking hands, Bob left the office a happy man. There was a spring in his step walking back to the hotel, the sun was shinning, the air was warm, the birds were singing. Life was good. Once in his suite he turned on the laptop and began a search for Architects in the area. After many days, and much research and many inquiries, he made an appointment to meet his choice of architects in person. He liked his choice and hired the man on the spot.

He intended to get the show on the road immediately. Plans were drawn up, drawings made, with many visits to the property. Builders were contacted and hired. He spent hours a day at the site pitching in, using muscles he hadn't used in a very long time. Ten months later his house was completed and it was move in day.

It had been a little over one year since arriving in Peaceful. A year of keeping his mind and body busy, and a year of healing. He still thought about his wife and his loss and missed her terribly.

Another year passed and during that year he concentrated on the landscaping. He decided what he wanted and did all the work himself with suggestions from the local nursery. He put in a small vegetable garden a reasonable distance from the deck. The deck was large and contained pot after pot of flowers and ferns, one of his favorite plants beingViola tricolor, Johnny-Jump-Up.Wisteria Floribundalaced through the latticework covering the deck, it's Lilac like fragrance permeated the air when flowering.

Variegated yellow and orange Marigolds bordered the garden, a natural insecticide against garden pests. To the right of the garden was a shed that housed the tractor and garden tools, on the roof perched a Blue Heron weather vane. The shed had a window on each side with window boxes. This year he had plantedLobelia erinus, Basket Lobelia, that trailed deep purple flowers with white eyes. Their rich color formed a vivid contrast against the white paint of the shed. Beyond the garden was a small grove of two dwarf apple trees and two dwarf peach trees that would produce succulent fruit in a few short years.

His yard was sod covered, in perfect condition with shade trees dispersed in perfect balance. A shady area was created with a stone patio and comfortable seating.Hosta fortunei, Fortune's Plantain Lily, was picked for this area for it's striking foliage that was placed so it reflected in a water feature. The trickling water was relaxing on hot summer days, when he sat to rest while working in his rose garden that was close by.

Roses were his passion. He belonged to a rose society that he supported financially. What he couldn't find in the Peaceful Nursery, he imported from around the world. His collection included, the Peace rose, Margaret Chase Smith, Dr. Brownell, Victory, Lily Pons, Curly Pink, Helen Hayes, Arctic Flame. Nastarana, also known asPersian Musk Rose, with it's pink buds and white flowers whose fragrance is earthy and intoxicating. Climbing roses included: Blue Moon, Everblooming Blaze, Joseph's Coat, and Show Garden. Rather than fences he used rose hedges, which are excellent habitat for song and game birds, among them, Eutin, Rosa Rugosa, Hansa and the very fragrant Nearly Wild Rose, which grows only three feet tall and makes a flowering ground cover for problem areas.

He experimented withHydranga macrophylla, alkaline soil for pink flowers and acid soil for blue flowers and kept the soil mulched with peat moss to maintain the blue color.

His home had turned into the showplace he wanted it to be.


CHAPTER 2

"Hello Adrian."

It was Rita's voice that brought him back from daydreaming of the past two years. He turned in the direction of her voice and saw a stunning woman sit down on a stool across the counter from where Rita stood. She was tall, with a good figure, shorter blonde hair with soft curls, and stylishly dressed in blue jeans, heels and a short expensive looking pink brocade jacket. He could just barely smell her expensive perfume. What ever it was suited her.

"My goodness, it's been a long time, you're as pretty as ever, how are you Dear?"

"Hello Rita, thank you. I'm doing good, how have you been, still ornery as ever?"

"Ha ha, you bet I am, too old to change now."

"The town looks the same, I don't think Peaceful will ever change. Almost everything is as it was when I was a kid growing up here."

"The towns the same," said Rita, "But there's been some changes outside of town, especially next door to you're Pops. Wait until you see what your new neighbor has done with those empty acres. Everyone here was sad when your Pop died, such a nice man."

"Thank you, Rita."

"Are you back here to do something about the house, Adrian?"

"I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with the house, Rita. Live in it for a while, until I decide what I'm going to do with my life. I've taken a leave of absence from work, in case I decide to go back, my job will still be there. I'm thinking about opening a Fabric Shop and Seamstress Service here in Peaceful."

"That's a good idea, Honey! It will be nice having you back here for good."

"I saw that Gordon is still in the Real Estate Business. As I drove into town, I saw a brand new sign in front and he's changed the color of the building."

"Shoot, Gordon will always be in business! He loves what he does, and it's about time he spent some money fixing that place up. The tight wad! I'm sure he'll help you find a nice place for you're shop if you decide that's what you're going to do."

"Well, when I decide for sure, I'll talk to him."

So this is Miss Miller, Bob thought. I'm going to have a neighbor this summer. A pretty neighbor.

Rita looked up and saw Bob looking at them. "I want you to meet someone, Adrian. Come on over here, Bob." He unwound his tall frame from the booth he was sitting in and walked over to the counter.

"Bob, I want you to meet Adrian Miller, you bought the property from her. Adrian, this is Bob Ellis, your new neighbor. This is the man who has made a show place out of the land he bought from you."

"How do you do Mr. Ellis? Nice to meet you."

Her smile was brilliant. He took the hand Adrian held out to him and said, "My pleasure

Miss Miller. I couldn't help but overhear you tell Rita that you're spending the summer here. I hope you don't mind my asking how long has it's been since you've been back to Peaceful?"

"I don't mind at all, Mr. Ellis. It's been 3 years since I've been home."

"I drive over to you're father's house once in a while just to check up on it. It needs some fixing up. If there's anything I can do for you, please let me know.'

Thank you, Mr. Ellis for doing that, I appreciate it."

"You're very welcome, Miss Miller and please call me Bob, after all we're neighbors."

"Only if you will call me Adrian, Bob."

"Deal," he replied. I better go, I have some things from the Nursery in my truck that need to be planted today. Once again, very nice meeting you, Adrian"

He walked to his truck, got in and before driving away, took one last look at The Nook, and smiled.

"Well, Adrian," Rita said, "What do you think of Bob?"

"He appears to be a very nice man, Rita."

"Yeah he is, and ain't he a hunk? A Widower too. Why if I wasn't so old he'd be in big trouble!"

"Are you trying to tell me something, Rita?"

"Well, Adrian you're a pretty woman, but you aren't getting any younger, young lady. How old are you now, pushing 30?"

"Wow, you're good Rita! I'm 29 and will be 30 on June 24th."


CHAPTER 3

Bob went home and planted his nursery stock and thought about his new neighbor. He hadn't been attracted to a woman since his wife died, but seeing Adrian's beautiful gentle smile and touching her when shaking hands had stirred something in him. Her face was distinctive and pretty, her skin milky white and flawless, and her unruly crop of curly blonde hair made her look impish in an endearing way. The tight fitting blue jeans didn't hurt either.

normique
normique
51 Followers