A Tale of Two Cats Ch. 01

Story Info
A Shapeshifter Princess leaves her family.
4.8k words
4.61
23.7k
38
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Artemis White was the youngest daughter of the warlord and royal Nahuel White and his wife, Kainda. The White family had presided over a large part of Northern Europe for nearly two centuries; independent from the human ruling powers though of course the humans didn't know this. They were among the oldest of the royal shapeshifter families in Europe that still maintained power and as such, though Artemis was not a heir to the throne due to patriarchal law, she was still considered a political power albeit a pawn or bargaining chip more than anything else.

The twenty two year old Artemis might have been a political pawn, but that didn't mean her father kept her home until he needed a trade. Like every other member of the family she was expected to work to protect the White dynasty and her current assignment was a particularly nasty one. The White's main rivals were the Romano tiger family that controlled Italy and several other regions in Western Europe. Wars for territory were common and violent affairs; Italy, and Rome in particular, was valuable territory, as was Britain and Ireland in the White's land. Both families continually vied to overtake the more desired territories of the other as well as protect their own interests and Artemis was embroiled in a delicate hostage situation on the border of Italy and France. It required her to keep control of a young male tiger, a second heir to the Romano throne, while negotiations were undertaken regarding White possession of Rome. The problem was that if negotiations failed and the White's couldn't overpower or retract from Rome then the hostage situation would quickly be reversed -- with Artemis becoming the held rather than the holder.

"They'll come for me soon, I promise you that." The statement was delivered to Artemis in the form of a cold snarl from the heavyset tiger she was supposed to be holding hostage. The assignment itself wasn't difficult; Artemis was one of the most accomplished fighters in the White pack with a reputation for a hot temper to match. No, it was more annoying than anything though despite the young man's defiant words the younger girl could see the fear in his eyes. They both knew the negotiations could go either way. The White's and the Romano's were both very strong packs.

"Shut up already, would you? You're doing my head in with your empty threats." Artemis was also in her human form, her pale blue eyes trained unwaveringly on her hostage. Their destination was a rundown cabin in the French countryside and although she would easily be able to catch a heavier cat like a tiger Artemis wasn't the type to give anyone that chance. The White's were a jaguar pack; powerful gold and black predators with the greatest bite strength of all the large cats. Tigers and lions had also been born in the White lineage through out-crossing with other important families though these were a minority and jaguars were prized. Only jaguars could inherit the throne or the most coveted royal titles within the family. All of Artemis' immediate family were jaguars as too was she, although a jaguar with a difference. Black melanistic jaguars popped up from time to time but rarer even than these were albino white jaguars such as Artemis. In her shifted form her coat was very pale gray with only shadowed markings visible in some lights, and her eyes were pale blue. In her human form Artemis had long white blonde hair and similarly pale eyes.

Artemis didn't bother passing the time in idle chitchat with the tiger. He was older than her but you certainly wouldn't have guessed it; clearly his older brother as the direct heir to the throne had been given all the training because this lout was uncouth and unsophisticated. Instead she alternated between shooting him warning glares from behind the shaggy fringe of blonde hair and pacing the small lounge they were cooped up in, waiting for the appearance of either White negotiators and guards (a good sign) or Romano warriors (a very bad sign). They'd been cooped up in the cabin for days while the White's negotiated the return of the second heir in exchange for power over Vatican City and Artemis was just about ready to tear her hostage's throat out simply to relieve the boredom, and her growing tensions. Fortunately, at dusk of the sixth day of her hostage duties, fourteen shadowy forms appeared at the edge of the woods fringing the cabin. Unfortunately it all went downhill from there.

The moment they appeared Artemis had taken the precaution of stripping off and hauling the hostage outside, prepared to run if the worst had happened. She had known it would probably be hopeless if that indeed was the case because the Romano's would surround the cabin. Sure enough she was met with a ring of hooded figures -- typical Romano theatrics -- in numbers that even the White's best fighter couldn't overpower. This was the absolute worst case scenario as for the Romano's to have known the location of the hostage they must have not only declined the White negotiation but also captured and tortured the negotiators.

Fuck the hostage. Artemis was fighting for her life now.

It took less than three seconds for Artemis to transform into a pale white-grey jaguar with piercing blue eyes. She was faster than all of them and managed to crush the skull of one of their warriors with the signature jaguar attack, one used by no other cat in the world. A further two found their windpipes torn forcibly from their throats before they could complete their change, and she managed to kill a shockingly large tiger through using her superior speed and agility to sever his spinal cord. The bastards had weapons though, of course, and she took a bullet to the thigh while engaging another two tigers protecting the unshifted men, along with the usual pre-emptive scratches from vicious claws. Another transformed tiger went down gurgling after she broke his neck but that was where her attack abruptly ended. The cold steel of a pistol pressed flush against her temple made her freeze, and Artemis turned furious blue eyes on the man holding it.

Gabriel Conti.

"Enough of that, kitty-cat. You've already taken out far too many of my warriors, so if you want to avoid a bullet through your head I'd change back and play nice."

Artemis snarled dangerously, tensed her muscles and glared at Gabriel. She wanted to attack him but something held her back. Huh. She'd always thought that in this situation she'd rather die fighting but it seemed the instinct to survive was stronger than she could have guessed, even when she had little doubt that her fate would not be pleasant. But even if it bought her some time...she wasn't quite ready for that bullet just yet.

A graceful change found the young warrior back in her human form, pale hair wild and blood streaked, gold skin likewise. Gabriel kept the gun to her head throughout the change then rapidly tied her hands behind her back, rendering shapeshifting anatomically impossible. Then to her surprise, he called forward one of his robed men and had him bandage the bullet wound in Artemis' thigh. Funny thing to do before torturing and killing someone, she thought idly. A robe was procured to restore her modesty then Gabriel stood in front of her, eying her warily though with interest.

"The Romano's are interested in having your fighting abilities on their side rather than the White's. A disposable daughter of direct White lineage with your skill is quite the weapon and David Romano doesn't have that same advantage. The alternative is torture for information and death. What do you say?" He grinned, not unkindly. He didn't have to wait long for an answer.

"I'd never betray my family." The answer was automatic and well-rehearsed. Artemis knew her role in the family; pawn, bargaining chip. She was not her father's main concern, simply a lucky advantage. Nevertheless she knew the meaning of loyalty.

"David said you might say that. He also gave me this." Gabriel held an official document in front of her so she could scan it. A marriage license with the official White seal which made it a binding agreement confronted her, along with an unfamiliar seal also decorating the license. Before she could ask Gabriel elaborated. "The Douwe seal. You've been paired with their prince Robert. All this needs is your signature to make it binding."

Artemis read in disbelief then let out a furious snarl, human form and all. The Douwe family! They were one of the weakest in Europe, comprising less than one hundred loyal cats and less than twenty blood family members. The White's and the Romano's had family lines comprising of hundreds of individuals and thousands of supporting families -- did her father think so little of her? He was trading her for the loyalty of a pack that would make almost no useful addition to their family. Blind fury engulfed Artemis while Gabriel and his minions watched, slightly awed by the force of her personality.

"What are the terms?"

"You will work for me as the leader of Rome and by extension for the Romano's as rulers of Western Europe and Vatican City. You answer only to me but your loyalty is to the Romano pack as a whole. You will be required to accompany me on assignment for the Romano's, such as this one, but only those assignments in which I am directly involved. You obey my wishes and commands." Gabriel listed off the contract, which as a function of the honour system among large cat Shifters would be verbal and binding. Artemis listened and, eventually, nodded.

"I have some conditions to add. This does not make me your mate; I sleep with whomever I choose. You cannot sell, trade or gift my service to anyone else -- if you die or default I am free to leave. And I will not directly engage with members of my immediate family...except for my father." Gabriel pondered for a moment then nodded.

"I have your word, Artemis White?"

"You have my word."

It was as good as a legal contract in her head now. Gabriel's too, for he freed her hands. They both knew that the words she had just spoken would not be broken. Death was preferable to cowardice or dishonesty for their kind.

"Let's go then. Our commitments here are completed and it's time I returned to my usual position." Artemis nodded and followed as Gabriel turned and faded into the woods accompanied by his men. He was the leader of Rome, after all. Rome belonged to the Romano family but they appointed families to lead each of their jurisdictions in their stead; the Conti family had been in charge of Rome for some decades.

Artemis had to be supported to the cars, much to her disgust. The bullet wound in her leg robbed it of strength and she stumbled twice before Gabriel ignored her protests and acted as a crutch for her. The bullet was still lodged somewhere in the muscle and the jaguar was not looking forward to getting it out but first they had to get back to Rome.

"Lucian, take the others directly back and then wait for me at the house. Artemis and I will have to take it slower; I need to pick up supplies to treat her wounds, and it needs to be done as soon as possible. We'll be there by morning, hold the fort until then." One of the hooded figures, presumably Gabriel's second in command, nodded and climbed into one of four cars awaiting them. All flashy European sports cars; the Romano's were certainly an ostentatious pack.

"I'm not going to hospital," Artemis warned, climbing into the front seat of the car that remained. She was illogically terrified of them, which she would never admit, but Gabriel was dreaming if he thought he could force her through the doors of one.

"They'd ask too many questions anyway. I'll find the stuff and do it myself," Gabriel replied, taking the driver's seat and easing the car onto the highway.

"Can't wait," Artemis replied sarcastically.

She fell asleep minutes into the drive, exhausted after her extended babysitting duties and the quick but violent fight. She remained asleep as Gabriel made the stops he needed to, waking only when he shook her gently several hours later. They were parked out the back of a nice motel; apparently, they weren't making it to Rome that night. Artemis clambered stiffly out of the car and stretched her cramped muscles before following Gabriel inside.

"Right, clean yourself up first then I'll deal with that wound. I picked you up some new clothes since you didn't bring anything. You can have first shower; you look fucking terrible."

"Bloody charming," Artemis sneered, grabbing the offered pile of clothing and stalking past him into the bathroom. However a quick glance in the mirror told her he was right. Her white-blonde hair was tangled and matted with blood and a colourful bruise was blossoming on her cheek. Nasty scratches scored her ribs accompanied by more bruising, and dried blood streaked her dusky gold skin. When she unwrapped the makeshift bandage around her thigh blood leaked sluggishly from it. Ouch.

She stayed in the shower as long as she thought she could get away with, ridding her hair and skin of the horrible, rust-scented blood and cleaning her wounds as thoroughly as possible. Fortunately she wouldn't need stitches as the bullet wound was the only serious injury, but dealing that would more than make up for her relative luck. And sure enough, she'd barely managed to get into her underwear before Gabriel barged in brandishing a scalpel, forceps, bandages and antiseptic.

"May as well get this over with." He sounded almost apologetic, Artemis thought, though it did nothing to make her relax. "I don't suppose you'll behave during this?"

"I'll try," Artemis replied. And it was true, she did. She just failed miserably. Gabriel had to force her into a corner and eventually pin her to the ground while she lashed out at him ineffectually, retaining just enough manners to avoid changing and doing some real damage. Just. But after much struggling and swearing Gabriel managed to extract the bullet from its lodging place and properly bandage the injury. He was panting with exertion when he stood up and offered Artemis a hand to do the same. "Quite the wild cat, aren't you? You certainly don't make life easy." The Romano warrior shook his head, apparently resignedly amused, and grabbed a towel. Artemis mumbled her thanks and took her chance to escape back into the motel room.

She chose the bed closest to the window and amused herself by flicking idly through the seemingly limitless motel channels while Gabriel showered. It didn't take long for that to get old though, so she used his credit card (unwisely left in his bag) to order room service. She was tucking into a steak with all the trimmings when he came out of the bathroom with the towel around his waist.

"Enjoying spending my money, kitty cat?"

"I was hungry," Artemis replied with a shrug. "Besides, I got you one too. Figured even the great Romano warrior has to eat." As Gabriel selected clothes and changed, apparently unconcerned about modesty in front of her, Artemis allowed herself to actually look at her new employer for the first time. He was tall and surprisingly lean for a tiger, though certainly not lacking in the abs department. A lot of tigers were built like brick shithouses but although a healthy amount of muscle rippled along Gabriel's six foot four frame he certainly wasn't overly bulky. His hair was tousled and almost jet black, the colour of the tiger's stripes, and he had a deeply tanned complexion. His features were elegant and aristocratic -- unmistakably Italian -- and his eyes were the striking clear amber of the big cat he changed into. More than this though, Gabriel was an unmistakable leader; he practically radiated power, confidence and charisma. It was easy to see why he was one of the most formidable warriors for the Romano pack.

"I'm starving, actually. This looks great." After dressing in light grey cotton pants which he must have used for sleeping in Gabriel tucked into the steak Artemis had left on his bed. They ate in silence for a while before Artemis made a hesitant attempt at conversation. Not because she was the type to fill the silence, but because it was important to clear the air if living with Gabriel was going to be bearable. "Sorry about the men I killed today. I thought it was my last show before I died so I went all out, and I can't regret protecting myself. But I'm sorry if any of them were your friends."

Gabriel looked up at her in surprise. "Who'd have known, the infamous Artemis White has a heart after all. Apology accepted; I was not close friends with the ones you killed. Those I have close personal connections with weren't at the frontline for that very reason. I know your reputation."

Well that was flattering she supposed. It was a relief that she hadn't caused Gabriel too much emotional strife. She was going to be spending a lot of time with him in the foreseeable future, after all. Once she was finished eating Artemis tucked herself directly into bed. She was still tired and she wasn't ready to make small talk with Gabriel yet. It normally took a long time for her to fall asleep the night after a fight in which she'd killed but the strain of the day and its many changes took its toll and she dozed off almost immediately.

When Artemis woke the next morning the first rays of sun were just beginning to colour the sky. She felt surprisingly well rested considering she was sleeping in a strange room. Gabriel was still asleep, one arm thrown over his face and lean body only partially covered by a sheet. Artemis knew she'd let her eyes linger just a little too long and quickly tore her gaze away as she got out of bed. She was more or less a slave to Gabriel now and there was no place for thoughts of lust in that kind of relationship, whether she found him attractive or not.

Instead the jaguar rifled through the clothes Gabriel had purchased for her and tugged on a pair of dark jeans that fitted like a glove and a plain white tank top. He'd chosen a selection, everything from sweats to dresses, but Artemis had always liked to keep it simple. After a quick check in the bathroom mirror told her the bruises and scratches were healing already thanks to shapeshifter healing ability she was done, and quickly bored again. While she waited for Gabriel to wake up she ordered breakfast on his credit card.

The delivery of said breakfast woke up her slumbering companion and he scowled, watching her tuck into pancakes. Independent and resourceful little cat, that was for sure, and although Gabriel appreciated both of these qualities in his warriors he realised he was going to have to keep an eye on Artemis. She'd get herself -- and him -- into trouble otherwise.

"Morning tiger. I was bored again and hungry again. Try some pancakes."

Gabriel ignored her and got dressed, his outfit simple much like hers, and packed. He did grab a pancake then but it was clear they weren't staying so Artemis quickly bolted the rest of her breakfast and followed him outside. It was a stunning clear day and Gabriel informed her they were just a few hours from Ciociaria, one of the few places in Rome with a decent woods and the rural idyll required for happy shapeshifters.

"If we hurry we should be there by mid-morning. I did promise Lucian I'd be in to check on the state of things since we've been away."

Artemis rolled down the window as they drove, thoroughly enjoying the summery day. "Your second in command? How does it work for the Romano's, anyway? Are you related to them?"

Gabriel nodded. "Only blood relatives of the original Romano line are given ruling positions over the towns and provinces. I control the shapeshifter pack that lives in Rome, and it exists pretty independently of other Romano packs scattered around Western Europe. We all answer to David ultimately but when he doesn't need our services we're left to control our own packs. Similar system to the White's, I believe."

12