A Tale of Two Cats Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, it is, right down to the self-righteous royal family," Artemis replied coldly. Clearly she was still fuming over her father's insult.

"He was very ill-advised in valuing you so little. The Romano's will be delighted when they hear of your pledge."

"I'm sure they will be," she said pensively. Her loyalty to her family was broken but it remained to be seen whether her new life would be bearable.

True to his word, Gabriel pulled up to his rurally set villa around mid-morning. Artemis climbed out of the car and stared in awe at the beautiful house. It was charmingly weathered though not run down -- she could see the gardens were regularly tended and the front door had been recently repainted. From what she could see it was more than expansive, almost a mansion, and it had a warm, welcoming feel that Italians seemed to imbue within their homes. As a member of the royal family of the White pack Artemis was well used to luxury and although she wouldn't receive that to the same extent here she already felt more at home than she ever had in her father's cold, sterile castle.

"It's gorgeous, Gabriel." Artemis trailed long fingers through the grape vine that draped the veranda of the second floor and spilled heavily over the front of the house, forming a living curtain to walk through as they entered.

"My great grandfather built it years ago," Gabriel replied as he led her through the large entrance way and into an open plan kitchen, dining and living area. It took up virtually the whole first floor and was clearly a frequent meeting place for Gabriel's Rome pack. Artemis recognised the slender, pensive man that greeted Gabriel with a crooked smile when he walked in as Lucian, and four other shifters were scattered around the room. Gabriel took a moment to introduce them.

"Lucian, myself, Paul, Sofia, Angelo, and Vincent," Gabriel rattled off the names, pointing to each in turn, though to Artemis' relief he then proceeded with more detailed introductions.

"Lucian you've already met briefly; he's my second in command." Gabriel indicated the quiet blonde Artemis had indeed recognised earlier, with his arm wrapped loosely around a petite redhead.

"Sophia is his mate. Angelo and Vincent are my full brothers," Gabriel indicated the huge, burly man reading a book by the fire, who waved briefly, and another watching her with interest from his position sprawled across the couch. Angelo was built more like Gabriel and both brothers had the same inky dark hair as he did.

"Angelo handles most of the training for those who want it, and Vincent -- as you can probably tell -- is the grunt around here. Intimidating looking, you see." Artemis nodded, remaining silent as she attempted to memorise all the names and faces.

"Paul is my third in command," Gabriel added, indicating a man with hair the colour of the tiger's russet pelt clattering around the kitchen. "We six -- seven including you -- are permanent residents in this house by virtue of position or family. The rest of the pack are fairly scattered around Rome though we tend to avoid the humans. Ciociaria and some of the other nearby villages bordering woods are exclusively Shifter territory."

Artemis smiled briefly at everyone, though they fortunately mostly returned to their various pastimes as soon as Gabriel was done. Being introduced into a house of unfamiliar cats was uncomfortable at the best of time and Artemis was relieved that these ones seemed friendly enough, despite her being a White royal. Time would tell if it remained that way.

"Paul's the resident cook so he's doing lunch, as you can see, but you have a while until then if past experience is anything to go by." Gabriel laughed as Paul retaliated by throwing a butter knife at him, ducking easily so it clattered off the wall.

"I'll show you your room." Artemis nodded and carried her paltry belongings after Gabriel, up onto the second story of the house.

At the top of the stairs another large communal area that looked like an open plan library spread out, with hallways branching off it at various places. Gabriel led her down one, explaining that it was his private wing but that the double bedroom adjoining his was the only spare one left in the house. Artemis refrained from complaining -- it clearly couldn't be helped -- but sharing a bathroom with a ridiculously hot tiger was going to test her willpower. Nonetheless she was more than a little delighted with her bedroom.

"Thanks, Gabriel. This is perfect. And I even get a lock on the door; that's not a luxury my father allowed his family." It was strangely liberating to be away from the pressures of belonging to the royal family, even when it meant being in slavery to a Romano. How odd.

"Too many people in this house for us not to be entitled to one room where we can guarantee privacy," he replied. Artemis noticed the door joining her room to his about the same time that he gave her a third key; she already had one for the front door and her own bedroom.

"This is for that door between our rooms. Just so you don't feel uncomfortable, you can have the key." Artemis grinned and snatched it off him, internally relieved. She needed that sense of security right now.

"Not worried that I'll attack you in your sleep?" She quipped. Gabriel laughed, shrugging.

"You have a fearsome reputation, kitty cat, but don't forget mine if you decide to have a go at me. It'd be an interesting match if we ever clashed and I wouldn't want you getting over-confident." Artemis simply grinned wider, arrogantly. He was probably right but her need to not appear vulnerable prevented her acknowledging it to him, at least right now.

"I'll give you some privacy to settle in. Come down for lunch soon." Gabriel left with a faint shake of his head. Having Artemis working for him would be an interesting experience; she was deadly, smart and striking, but she was also impulsive, moody and unpredictable. Quite the warrior princess, really.

Artemis spent half an hour becoming comfortable in her room after unpacking the few things she now owned. It was a massive change, moving from her father's castle with its staff and luxury, but she found she already felt more comfortable. The Italian Shifters were warm and earthy and she hoped she would be able to form friendships with some of them that would go some way to replacing contact with her two brothers, both of whom she was close to. Or had been. They were on opposite sides now and she had to admit that she was relishing not feeling like a disposable limited use weapon, designed to take full advantage of until she self-imploded. Gabriel had made it clear that he respected and valued her abilities and away from the stifling formalities of her family she could almost believe him.

The jaguar shifter spent another few minutes watching the sun wander lazily overhead, illuminating the small village situated down the hill from the secluded, wood-surrounded villa. She had her worries of course; after years of disdain from her parents Artemis had become reckless and cynical. Her moodiness was infamous among the Whites. But more than this, an inability to trust others would take a long time to change -- if it ever did. Her father's insult had been the final breaking point. She desperately wanted to believe that Gabriel was everything he appeared to be -- powerful, fair, warm, intelligent and protective -- but a part of her couldn't shake the fear of another betrayal. She hoped she would learn to trust again someday, but she also knew healing wouldn't happen overnight. Growing tired of her melancholy thoughts Artemis stood and strode impatiently from the room; she could at least start getting to know a few people.

12