A Tiny Slip Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, thank you!" I exclaimed. "I've refused to eat whatever it is they've tried to serve here. My wife says there are three certainties in life: death, taxes, and that hospital food will be God-awful."

"Testify, brother." said Tanya,who'd had more than her fair share of hospital food.

"And some even better news for you," said the DepDirector as I ate, "your lawyer, Ms. Gillem, in cooperation with some people way over my head and your wife's head in various Federal agencies, beat back Casey Walker's investigation of you. Your deposition has been put off for months, and likely will never even happen. Staffeld seemed to just roll with it, like he rolls with everything, but Bond was very angry." I nodded.

The DepDirector continued: "And no one has seen Casey B. Walker since the CIA Director and head of the NSA personally ordered him to stand down on Operation BEEKEEPER. He and your wife really got into it, and I mean it was a vicious internecine fight of the kind that usually doesn't end well."

"Wow." I said, a feeling of foreboding creeping into the back of my mind.

"By the way, Don," said Lindy Linares, "you're going to be seeing a lot of us over the next few days and weeks. We've started making arrests all over the country of people known to be connected to Westboro, but we're going to need you to look over the data and make the cross-references only you can do."

"Cool beans." I said. "Let's get this party started..."

Part 20 - When Heroes Meet

I was told that I was going to be discharged at 3:00pm. My mom brought me some clothes, civilian clothes, and I put them on: black shirt, khaki pants, light black Police jacket with embroidered badge in front and 'POLICE' in big letters on the back. Then, to my surprise, my mother excused herself and left, saying someone would be along to escort me out of the Hospital.

I finished dressing and was about to go when two persons entered my room with a wheelchair for the traditional ride out of there. Chief Griswold was one of the persons. I simply could not believe who the other man was, though I recognized him from pictures.

He was short, now a bit stocky, with iron gray hair and a big brush mustache. His eyes had something of an introspective, perhaps even haunted look. He didn't walk a lot nowadays, using a wheelchair to get around, but today he was bound and determined to push me in my wheelchair out of the Hospital.

"Joe," said Griswold, "I can see that he knows who you are." My eyes being wide as saucers probably gave that away. "Commander, this is Joe Smedley. Joe, Commander Don Troy."

"It's a great honor to meet you, sir." I said hoarsely, not quite finding my voice as I shook his hand. Joe Smedley was the most decorated hero in Town & County Public Safety history. Medal of Valor, Police and Fire Crosses, at least six Purple Orders...

"Believe me, son, the honor is mine." said Smedley, his voice more soft-spoken than I'd expected. "Grizz, this man is not only brave... he's got the brains to go with it. You and I didn't have what he does."

"Very few people I've ever met do." said the Chief. "I'll wait for you out in the hallway." He exited the room.

"Have a seat, Commander." said Smedley.

"Yes sir." I said, sitting down in the wheelchair.

"Oh, I'm not a 'sir' to you, Commander." said Smedley. He came from behind the wheelchair so that I could see him.

"Commander... Don," he said, "there's something I'll tell you, just between us alone." He paused, then said "I know what you felt on that helicopter. I know, because I was in situations like that many times. I know what I felt, facing Death, feeling it embrace me like a warm blanket. It's like that 'Nexus' in that Star Trek movie."

The man's words seemed to penetrate to my soul, as he described all too accurately how I had felt in those last moments on that chopper.

"Son, I didn't have children. You do." said Smedley. "I never learned to value life, and living. I hope you will... and won't do the things I did, at least unnecessarily."

I understood what he meant. I just nodded as our eyes locked. He then nodded and said in a much more jovial voice "Well, let's roll you on out of here..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Media reporters were set up in relentless force on the Hospital front lawn, held back by barricades, Police, and Hospital Security. As I emerged from the front door of the Hospital, my current crowbar (IC3) in my hand and my sword cane in the other, they shouted questions at me. I managed to get out of the wheelchair without help, then I just waved at them and yelled "No comments right now."

As I was driven off, Priya turned to Bettina and asked "Who was that old man pushing the Iron Crowbar out of the hospital?"

"That..." said Bettina, her voice one of awe, "was Joe Smedley, the only man more highly decorated than the Iron Crowbar... though Don is fast catching up..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was driven to the Mountain Nest. My Police SUV was parked there, having been driven up by Sergeant Rudistan and his Team. I told him I was glad he didn't accidentally hit the 'driver seat eject' button, and he laughed; I knew he'd really looked over the vehicle and the neat stuff in it as he drove it.

Upon coming home, I was greeted by two good looking dogs, and they were as overjoyed to see me as I was them. Carole 'helped' me pet Bowser, who sat between us on the front sofa, with Buddy on my other side. I sat with them for a good long time, praising Bowser in the fondest terms for exposing the Consultant of Crime, though knowing it must've been bad for him to have to face one of the men who'd tortured him nearly to death. He did huddle rather tightly to me, I noticed.

My mother Phyllis also came up, having cooked some of my favorite foods, such as macaroni and cheese. I didn't even scold Carole when she fed some of her green beans to the dogs. The simplest of things in life... family dinner... meant a whole lot to me that night. And I knew that a lot of people were having family dinner tonight because Good had defeated Evil the night before...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The sun was setting as I took the dogs out to do their business. As I sat on the patio, I reflected on where I had been twenty-four hours ago, and what I had done and endured.

"Was it worth it, Darling?" I heard my wife's voice ask as she came up to me and sat down beside me.

"Yes." I said. "I guess it's easy to say that since I'm here and Westboro is dead. But it was worth it. I only regret that it never ends; tomorrow, someone else will be taking Westboro's place and we'll have to go after him."

"Yes." said Laura. "It never ends, does it?" After a moment, she said, "Why don't you come to bed, Darling. You still need to rest and recover."

"Promise you'll help me recover... properly?" I asked. Laura smiled a beautiful smile, and the dogs nearly did not beat us to the door...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Oh, Commmaaaannnnderrrrrrr." I heard the voice say in my head.

"Angela, go away." I said to the dream, and the voice.

"If only I could, Commander." the Black Widow whispered. "But you've freed our souls. I just came to thank you."

"You can thank me by bugging someone else's dreams, Angela." I said.

"Oh no, I am totally yours, my dear Commander." Angela whispered. "And don't think for a minute that it's over yet..."

Part 21 - Storm Clouds Rising, Redux

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" blared the lovely redheaded reporterette from in front of Police Headquarters at 7:00am, Friday, June 24th. "Channel Two News has learned that the State DOJ investigation of Commander Donald Troy has been discontinued, as the events of the past two days have rapidly shown that the organization of Pastor Raymond Kyle Westboro was behind the disinformation being spread about the Commander."

"In addition," said Bettina, "the Federal probe into Commander Troy has also been shut down, and the FBI is working with Commander Troy to bring Westboro's organization to Justice. Asked if the Oldeeds Ministries is being investigated in connection with Pastor Westboro, Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone would only say that many leads were being pursued, and he congratulated Commander Troy and the TCPD on successfully bringing down the worst criminal mastermind since Jack the Ripper and the fabled Professor Moriarty of detective fiction fame."

"Also congratulating Commander Troy and his Police Department was Governor Val Jared, who is running for re-election." said Bettina. "Governor Jared said that Commander Troy's brilliance, courage, and persistence are the qualities needed to reform the 'deeply corrupt' SBI, and he hopes Commander Troy would consider 'a large role' in the Governor's next administration. SBI Director Jack Lewis, who is running against Jared for Governor, issued a statement through his campaign congratulating Commander Troy on the successful defeat of Raymond Westboro and the dismantling of his national organization."

"Surprisingly," Bettina said, "State Senator Katherine Woodburn issued a statement urging the State DOJ and the Federal Government to continue their investigations of Commander Troy. Woodburn stated that the circumstances surrounding the death of Pastor Westboro itself should be more thoroughly investigated, as well as how Commander Troy managed to survive the helicopter crash while Westboro did not.

"Woodburn further stated that Commander Troy could still be guilty of corruption, that the seriousness of the charges outweighed any good that Troy might have done in stopping the Westboro Syndicate. City Councilman Thomas P. Cook and former Police Deputy Chief Robert Brownlee openly joined Senator Woodburn in her statement that was totally devoid of any praise for the Commander and the TCPD."

"Spot polling by Karl Frazier's Public Policy Polling has shown that Commander Troy's approval ratings are back up and even higher, over 90%." said Bettina. "Governor Jared also increased his lead over Director Lewis to 52-44%."

"And last but not least, Lieutenant Teresa Croyle of the Town & County Police Force may be released from University Hospital as early as tomorrow or Sunday. Doctors say Lt. Croyle's progress has been remarkable." said Bettina.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The large crowd of MCD Detectives applauded me and Cindy when we walked into the room for the coffee klatch. I tried to get them to focus on what Cindy did at the Church, but they were having none of that; they wanted to know what happened in the helicopter. I told them I had formal statements to make before I could talk about it to everyone else... and that was also the line I gave in a statement to the Press.

After we listened to the Bettina Broadcast, I told all the Detectives that they'd done great work, but we still had a lot to do to clean things up. The Mouseketeers were already busy, working with the FBI to put together the incredible amounts of data that were already coming in.

In addition to what had been coming out from Hamilton Phillip from Apple Grove, Mr. Harkins of Second National Bank had been taken into protective custody by the FBI. He was giving them everything he knew on Westboro, as well as elements of Superior Bloodlines, and his knowledge was quite large. He'd organized his data while in hiding, and it was easy for the FBI to form leads. And every lead just turned into three, four, even twelve more leads. This thing was getting huge... and it became apparent that I personally would be needed to begin weaving the tapestry that would destroy the Enemy.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I've got a big problem." said Commander Della Harlow as she came into my office. I had her sit down.

"Besides Lt. Peterson, what problem is that?" I asked. Lt. Scott Peterson had shown up to work the day before as if nothing had happened on Wednesday. He said he'd never gotten any calls or texts from Commander Harlow, and had been at home that evening, reading books and not watching any television. I personally suspected he'd been meeting with the Union to press his complaint against me, and that he was doing so on Wednesday evening.

"No, not him." said Della. "Needless to say, the traditional case solution victory party is going to be a bit larger than normal. We don't know where to have it. The Steakhouse may not be large enough. Most of the pavilions in the parks are already booked for the weekend, as well."

"We can do it Monday." I said. "Late afternoon. Call the River Valley Country Club and reserve their main room. I'll pay for it."

Della smiled. "Don, it's already paid for many times over, and I won't tell you who those patrons are, nor how many of them there are. But I do know this... it's going to be the biggest victory party you've ever had..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Myron and Mary Milton came into my office on Friday afternoon. They both looked tired.

"Commander," Myron said, "can you come to lunch with us? Some... er, friends want to talk to you." I was intrigued, so I came along.

Sure enough, Myron drove me to the Mathematics Building at the University, and they escorted me to the office of the Sir Isaac Newton Professor of Advanced Mathematics, Dr. Marvin Milton.

"Come in, come in, Commander." Dr. Milton said enthusiastically. "Thank you, kids." he said, dismissing Myron and Mary, who withdrew. "Have a seat, have a seat, Commander. Wonderful job you did. I never in a million years thought that bastard Westboro could be brought down. I didn't even know who he was, nor did anyone else, until you disposed of him so effectively."

"Thank you, sir." I said. "And your colleague got his old books on the Trojan War back, as well." The books purloined in the Parole Officer case had been found in Westboro's home, and had been returned to their rightful owner.

"Ah yes, he was very happy." said Milton. "So, the reason for my asking my son to bring you here..." He turned to a side door and said "Come on out, Leonard." To my surprise, Dr. Leonard Cordell came out of the little room and came to sit beside me.

"Commander," said Cordell, "would you be kind enough to activate that little device of yours?" I got out my bug-killer and turned it on.

"Here, take this." said Cordell. It was a simple belt buckle, like what I and all TCPD Officers wore.

"If you press these two buttons simultaneously," he said, showing me two small buttons on the buckle, "then a very powerful transmitter will emit an alert. Depending on where you are, other relay towers and even satellites will pick up the signal and re-transmit it. It may even be possible to locate you anywhere in the United States once you activate that transmitter."

"I get the idea," I said, "that either you purloined this from the Company, or Dr. Milton was able to duplicate their technology." This was hot-shit CIA stuff, I realized.

"A little of both." said Professor Milton. "As you know, Commander, Admiral Cordell had a few run-ins with the CIA, especially while he was in theaters of war, putting our soldiers back together again. And you also know how I feel about them."

"Er, yes." I said.

"We know that you are a man of the highest, highest integrity." said Milton. "We know your wife is an honorable woman, and a Patriot, and I hope you will follow the Admiral's advice and encourage her to retire from that organization." I nodded.

"Anyway," said Cordell, "that device is in case you get into any trouble. I don't trust those bastards, and neither does Dr. Milton here. Something ugly was going on with that investigation by those turds Bond and Staffeld. You know how to watch your back, son... and now is the time to not let your guard down. Be on watch. And use this if you need our help."

"Thank you, sir." I said. "I hope I'll never need it, but it's nice to have." I would begin wearing the device from that afternoon on.

"And speaking of Patriots," I said, "Admiral, will you be at the funeral tomorrow?"

"I'm afraid not, son." said Cordell. "I still don't need to be showing my face much in public."

"I hope we'll be able to change that soon." I said. With that, I took leave of them and headed back to Headquarters.

Part 22 - Farewell to a Patriot

-Shall we gather at the river,
-Where bright angel feet have trod,
-With it's crystal tide forever,
-Flowing by the throne of God?

-Yes, we'll gather at the river,
-The beautiful, the beautiful river;
-Gather with the saints at the river,
-That flows by the throne of God.

Saturday, June 25th. At the Fairgrounds there was a concrete abutment at the side of the River, which was once where boats would dock. People would go there and fish or just watch the River flow by. It was now an 'observation deck' to watch the River flow by.

On this deck was a casket, draped with the American flag. Inside, in an urn, were the cremated mortal remains of Mrs. Veasley. An empty wheelchair was off to one side. Over one thousand people were at the Fairgrounds to attend her funeral service. She had wanted it to be here, by the River, and everyone sang her favorite song, 'Shall We Gather At The River".

Mrs. Veasley had no family that we knew of. Cindy Ross had been shocked to learn that she was the heiress to Mrs. Veasley's medals and other military things, as well as some of the furniture of the house. Most of the rest was bequeathed to 'The Vision'.

So Dr. Eckhart sat on Cindy's right, and me to her left. Cindy and I were in our formal uniforms, Medals of Valor around our necks. My mother was to my left, in her Police Auxiliary uniform, and many of Mrs. Veasley's friends from the Community Center were surrounding us up front.

It was a military funeral all the way, with a military Chaplain and Pastor Derkins saying the service. Then came a seven gun salute. The volleys echoed over the River and the fields beyond as they performed the precision routine. Then Taps was played. The flag was taken and folded tightly, then the Colonel brought the flag to Cindy, to whom Mrs. Veasley's last instructions had ordered it be given. Cindy accepted it, holding back tears.

There would be no interment, as Mrs. Veasley had asked that her ashes be spread over the grounds of 'The Vision'. John Tower brought his helicopter, and I took the controls with Cindy taking the urn and sitting in the passenger seat. Most people had left, but a few had stayed and watched as we took off.

We flew south, along the River, seeing the farms and the roads. I thought about my previous helicopter ride, and the result. This mission, while very sad, was one of honor, as Mrs. Veasley's last wishes were fulfilled.

As we came over the grounds of the Vision, seeing the large stone building, and the dorms further south, I saw a large number of acolytes lined up on the lawn behind the main building, watching.

As I flew by, Cindy opened the window on her side and began pouring the ashes out, slowly, shaking the urn as I flew in a large circle over the grounds twice. Then the urn was empty, and I turned north for our Town & County. All the acolytes waved and Cindy waved back to them.

Her duty done, Mrs. Veasley had been called Home. And our duty to her was also done as I flew the helicopter home...

To be continued.

Author's note: last chance to give the true clues to the Iron Crowbar detecting and defeating the Consultant of Crime...