A Very Difficult Daughter

Story Info
Why couldn't she listen to her father?
14k words
4.58
54k
58
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
GWBosh
GWBosh
407 Followers

DAY 1

Jeff couldn't get the image of Sally's face from his mind as he looked down from the high mountain ridge at the steep and winding ski trail. He was angry and depressed, he pointed his ski tips straight down and set off at a breakneck pace. He went dangerously fast into his turns, his skis throwing up plumes of powder snow and skidding across ice patches.

The beauty of the mountain terrain calmed him down, the silence from apart from the 'Shhhh' of his skis, the clear blue skies and the feel of the crisp mountain air on his face gradually relaxed him. In 10 minutes he was at the bottom of the trail and decided to have a coffee to reward himself for not breaking his neck.

In the mountain cafe by himself, his depression returned. Two weeks by himself. Two weeks when he had expected to be with Sally. He had been looking forward to it for months.

His happiness had collapsed two years before when had he returned from a business trip and found his house empty: empty of people and just about empty of furniture. The fridge was still there with a note stuck to it. He could remember every word.

"Dear Jeff Sally and I have gone away. I'll let you know where, when I have the courage. Jeff, I've left you for another man, I know you won't want to read this but he makes me feel things in a way I've never felt before. Sally has said she wants to come with me. You have been a wonderful husband for me and a wonderful father for Sally. I know you'll be heartbroken when you read this and I'm so sorry. But I can't do anything else. Love Jenn"

He fought and lost a hopeless custody lawsuit for Sally but to be fair to Jenn she had been keen to help Sally keep a relationship with her father. But 2,000 kilometers was a long way and things had changed with Sally.

Tom, Jenn's new husband seemed a nice enough sort of man. Jeff had never met him but Sally had told him that in her early visits.

"And he's so rich Dad. You should see his house and he's got a mountain chalet which is bigger than our old house. He's got a Ferrari and he's bought Mum a BMW and he says he'll buy me one when I get my license. He's taking Mum and me to Europe this summer. We'll go First Class and stay in five star hotels."

That had been a year ago and Jeff understood how a 17 year old could be impressed with money but by the end of her stay with him, Jeff was worried that his daughter was becoming a spoiled brat.

Twelve months later, this holiday in the mountains had been his best shot. Surely Sally would love skiing where she had spent so many happy holidays? Initially she had been enthusiastic, but a week ago he had received a text.

"Sorry Dad. Something's happened. Can't come. Hope you have a lovely time. Lots of love, Sally"

Jeff realized that the opposite of love isn't hate, it is indifference and his 18 year old daughter's indifference was the cruelest cut of all.

Jeff drained his coffee and skied three more runs before the field closed for the night. He drove down the mountain to his hotel, showered and changed and went to the bar.

"Excuse me, it's Jeff Bradley isn't it?"

Jeff turned. He vaguely remembered the face of a man about his own age.

"Brian Avery. Avery Instruments, we met at that conference a few months ago."

Avery Instruments was a supplier to the company Jeff worked for and he did remember Brian. He knew that they lived in the same city and that Jeff's employer had a big contract out to tender which Brian's company was working hard to win.

"Hi Brian, nice to see you."

They talked and Brian couldn't believe his luck. He knew that Jeff was the decision maker on the contract which could change him from being very rich to multi millionaire. He was going to work hard to get Jeff on-side and realized he was alone.

"What are you doing tonight for a meal Jeff? Would you like to join Tracey and Kylie and me?"

Jeff didn't really want to spend time with Brian, but the way he was feeling, anything would be better than a night by himself.

"That's kind of you to ask me. Yes, thanks Brian."

Brian lent forward confidentially. "Jeff, I do have to warn you about Kylie. She's a very difficult daughter. She's 18 and really pig headed. She never listens to anything Tracey or I say and sometimes she's rude. You know what 18 year olds are like."

Jeff remembered Sally's text and did know.

"Here they are now. Hi darlings." Brian waved.

Jeff remembered Tracey from the conference. With a classic bone structure, she must have been beautiful in her youth. Now there was a little too much weight and a face which was starting to show the ravages of booze. She was wearing a top which showed too much cleavage, Jeff thought, and short skirt for someone her age, but she did have great legs.

He turned his attention to Kylie. She had inherited her mother's bone structure and had a delicately beautiful face. She had waving golden hair coming below her shoulders and was wearing a white polo necked jersey and light blue jeans. Jeff could tell she was quite tall and slim, but not much else.

What struck him most was her expression. A hangdog, aggressively defensive scowl. Jeff started to feel for Brian and Tracey. Another spoiled brat, just like Sally.

Brian made the introductions.

"Say hello to Mr Bradley, Kylie. That's the polite thing to do."

"Hello Mr Bradley" she droned without looking at him.

Brian took Tracey to one side to explain how important Jeff was to them and Jeff tried to talk to Kylie.

"Are you having a good holiday Kylie?"

"No."

"Have you been skiing?"

"I hate skiing. Mum and dad force me do it."

She said this without looking at him. Jeff felt more empathy with Brian and Tracey. They sat at a dining table, Brian and Tracey on either side of Jeff and Kylie opposite. She kept her face down.

"Moody kid," Jeff thought. "Brian's right, she really is rude." Soon he started to change his mind.

Tracey said, "What are you going to have Kylie? Remember what I've told you about healthy eating."

"A hamburger please."

Tracey gave a loud exasperated sigh and Brian said, "Tracey, listen to your mother. She is only trying to help you."

"I want a hamburger."

Brian gave a big sigh. "Kids. They don't listen these days."

Jeff noticed an edge to his voice. "What's the big deal about a kid wanting a hamburger?" he thought. "They're treating her like an eight year old."

"What are you going to have Jeff?"

"Well strangely enough, I feel like having a hamburger."

Brian and Tracey looked at him in surprise and for the first time he noticed Kylie look straight at him, as though she was sizing him up.

"I'm a bit of a slob I guess."

That got over the difficulty and they chatted away. Tracey and Brian asked Jeff a few questions without listening to his answers, then told him all about their new cars, their new house and their last international holiday.

Jeff became bored and just said 'How interesting' or, 'Goodness heavens' or, 'I never knew that' and that was enough to keep Brian or Tracey in full flow. His mind drifted a little and he thought about Sally.

He became aware that Kylie glanced at him quite often and once when he said, "Good heavens, tell me more," to Brian he thought he saw her smirk.

Tracey told a long and boring story about a holiday in France and Kylie said, "That's so interesting Mum."

Tracey beamed with pleasure and Kylie smiled straight at Jeff. "She's stunning," he thought. "And she's bright."

During the meal Kylie was twice told about her table manners and told not to eat so fast.

"What will Mr Bradley be thinking of you darling? I hate to think." Despite the 'darling' there was an edge to Tracey's voice also.

"I don't want to go skiing tomorrow. I hate it. I fall over so much." grumbled Kylie.

"We've spent a fortune on you for this holiday darling. You must keep at it."

"Why don't you try listening to the instructor just for once?"

"She spends all her time with the other kids."

Brian drew in a deep breath. "Kylie, why the hell do you give up on everything without trying? Bloody everything." His voice was loud and aggressive.

Jeff was shocked at the language, saw Kylie flinch and started to feel awkward.

"You've got to learn that life is all about overcoming obstacles," continued Brian. "You agree,don't you Jeff?"

"Ah yes, I think George Washington said that." Jeff felt that was the easiest way out.

Jeff had no idea what Washington had said, but Brian was flattered by the comparison and his face was wreathed in a self-satisfied smile that Jeff was starting to dislike. He noticed Kylie's quizzical glance towards him.

Later Kylie turned to her mother. "Mum, the hotel is putting on a disco for teenagers tomorrow night. Can I go? It finishes really early."

This time it was Tracey's turn to sigh. "Kylie, have you forgotten our agreement? We agreed that you would be grounded for two weeks because you were late coming home from the movies."

"But the two weeks is all the time we're on holiday!"

"An agreement is an agreement. You've got to learn that when you agree to something, you've got to stick to it. Isn't that right Jeff?"

Jeff didn't like being drawn into this but Brian and Tracey were looking at him for affirmation.

"A deal is a deal I guess."

"See Kylie, Mr Bradley agrees."

Kylie sat defensively with downcast eyes for a moment, then she looked up at Jeff with a mischievous grin.

"Did George Washington say that too, Mr Bradley?"

Jeff frowned in exaggerated concentration. "Maybe it was Abraham Lincoln." Then he couldn't stop himself from smiling at her.

"Or Winston Churchill even," said Kylie with a big grin and her eyes seem to be twinkling.

Her parents had been talking to each other, deciding it was Lincoln, and hadn't seen the exchange of smiles.

"Bed time for you Kylie. Say goodnight to Mr Bradley."

"Goodnight Mr Bradley." It was a friendly smile.

Jeff soon excused himself and lay in bed thinking about the evening.

"They treat her like an eight year old, not 18. And going on like that to her in public for no real reason. They were really angry sometimes and I could see she got scared. "She's a bright kid. That George Washington joke was quick and funny. And she picked up what I was doing when I said 'How interesting'. She really is very pretty when she smiles. Ah well, none of my business, I guess, but I can't take too many evenings like that."

DAY 2

The next morning Jeff went skiing and couldn't avoid Tracey and Brian and they skied together.

"Kylie's at the ski school. A real waste of money, but we've got to make some effort I guess. And it keeps her out of our hair," said Tracey.

He went off by himself to some trails which were too steep for Brian and Tracey and enjoyed himself. He liked to push himself hard and fell over twice.

He skied all the way to the bottom of the field to the learner trail but couldn't see Kylie. He felt a pang of regret then went to the nearby restaurant. She was sitting alone in a corner and reading a book. Jeff took his food tray over to her.

"Hi Kylie." He wondered if he would get the sour face or the smile but her face lit up when she saw him.

"Hello Mr Bradley."

"Do you want something to eat?"

"I've eaten thanks. An unhealthy hamburger." That mischievous grin again.

"How was the skiing?"

"Awful. I fall over so much and I'm not getting any better. It's not fair. I saw you, you're really good. I bet you don't fall over. "

"I fell over twice this morning."

"I hope you didn't hurt yourself."

"I got lucky. I landed on my head both times."

Kylie laughed and Jeff noticed how she looked him in the eye and held his gaze. Then she got an attack of the giggles.

"It wasn't that funny," said Jeff.

"I was remembering George Washington from last night," she patted his hand and burst into another and louder fit of giggles.

Jeff started to laugh, "And you and Winston Churchill." They fed of the other's laughter and some of the other restaurant patrons glanced at them.

Gradually Kylie brought herself under control and took her hand away to wipe tears of laughter from her cheeks. "You're a very funny man, Mr Bradley."

"Jeff, please."

"And you worked out my parents quickly too."

"It's none of my business Kylie, but they were pretty tough on you last night."

"It's worse at home." She tried to look nonchalant but Jeff noticed that her eyes seemed to glaze before she recovered. There was a long silence and Jeff felt her appraising look.

"I thought you seemed sad sometimes last night."

This from a 18 year old? He said nothing.

"Aren't you lonely, here by yourself?"

"I was going to come with my daughter but she changed her mind."

"How old is she?"

Jeff felt awkward with her questions, but Kylie had been open about her parents so he told her all about Sally, how she was the same age as Kylie, how she lived with her mother so far away. And how much he missed her.

A long pause. "I can't understand why Sally doesn't want to see you more often. You're such a nice man."

Jeff felt a little emotional after talking about Sally and seeing Kylie's soft, understanding face and he changed the subject. "Come outside Kylie. Let's have a look at you ski."

He expected her to resist but she smiled again and took his hand to stand up..

Jeff looked her skis. "Why are you using these? They're rubbish."

"They're Mum's old skis. She said she would buy me some new ones when I can ski down the intermediate slope without falling over."

Jeff knew that the skis were far too long for a novice and the old fashioned design made it a lot harder to learn. "They're crap. Come with me." He pointed to the ski hire shop and there seemed to be a bounce in the way Kylie walked beside him.

10 minutes later Kylie had clipped on nearly new hire skis, much shorter and with curved sides.

"Mum and Dad are going to be pissed off if they see me using these." Her face screwed up in that defensive frown.

"I won't tell them if you don't." Jeff winked and rewarded with a conspiratorial grin.

At the top of the learners' slope Jeff gave Kylie three simple and basic pieces of advice. Her face screwed up in automatic rejection.

"I'll fall over."

"Make sure you land on your head."

Kylie poked out her tongue and laughed, then nervously set off. She managed to get half way down the slope before she fell. Jeff watched how she didn't complain as she scrambled to her feet again. She could immediately tell the difference with the new skis.

"This is so much easier," said Kylie. "Why did I fall over.?"

"You've got to keep your legs together." Jeff thought of the irony in this comment with this alluring young woman beside him, but Kylie didn't seem to pick it up.

"OK, I'll try harder."

She did try harder and didn't fall on the next run or the next. .

"Let's get your shoulders right. They do a lot of the work."

Jeff stood behind Kylie and put a hand on each of her shoulders to demonstrate how to move them when she was turning." Kylie didn't battle his touch at all and he repeated the exercise.

"OK," I've got it," she smiled determinedly.

Three more runs and two more falls and she did have it.

"Now when you start this time, point your skis straight down. You'll go faster."

Kylie felt a thrill of excitement as her speed built up. By Jeff's standards it was still very slow, but Kylie felt she was going 100 kilometers an hour. She fell again on the second run and Jeff really admired the way how she pulled herself up.

"You're pretty tough aren't you? Getting up so quickly after a fall like that."

Kylie smiled as she looked steadily into Jeff's eyes and he could tell she liked the compliment.

"This is real fun."

"Let's go to the next slope up, you're ready for it."

"Am I really?"

"You're the best instructor I've had," said Kylie as they sat on the chairlift.

"Of course."

She laughed with him. The chairlift was small and their legs and shoulders touched as they sat side by side. But they were both wearing thick skiing clothes and it was completely innocent.

The next slope was longer and a little steeper and Kylie's confidence quickly rose. Her speed became faster and her turns were sharper. Jeff made a point of not helping her up when she fell over and she never complained.

They skied together for an hour then Kylie told Jeff to go and have some fun on the steep slopes.

"Are you sure you'll be OK by yourself?"

"I want to practice all you've taught me." She pushed his shoulder. "Away you go and remember to land on your head when you fall over."

It was almost closing time when he came back. He hoped Kylie would still be skiing and hadn't given up. There she was, still skiing, a solitary and determined figure. For some strange reason he felt proud of her.

He went to the ski school, then went over to her and was greeted with a wave and an excited smile.

"Jeff, watch me."

She skied extremely well and Jeff felt another surge of pride.

"Aren't I good?" Her face was excited and glowing with enthusiasm.

"Kylie, you're marvelous."

She gave him one of her steady gazes and Jeff felt he had to break the moment. "We'd better get those skis back before your parents see."

"They skied past me one time but didn't come over to say hello."

Jeff patted her shoulder. "I've booked you in for two hours personal instruction tomorrow morning. And the same skis."

"You shouldn't be spending all this money on me."

"Your George Washington joke was worth it." Another of her giggles and another of her looks into his face.

"Are you coming for dinner tonight?"

"I need a bit of my own space."

She frowned then nodded. "But I'll see you here tomorrow?"

"Sure. By tomorrow afternoon you'll be ready to go right up there." He pointed high up the mountain.

"Really? This is so exciting. I love skiing now." Before Jeff could react she hugged him briefly and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

Jeff pondered as he drove back to his hotel. "She's so much fun, so good to talk to and so gorgeous. And so 18! Of course that hug and kiss were just teenage exhilaration."

Why he was spending all this time with her? And money? Sympathy for a girl who was so bullied and neglected by her parents? A Sally substitute? Well, nothing wrong with those. Because she was so beautiful when she smiled? Why had he felt so good when he found her in the restaurant? He couldn't get that thought out of his mind. Then he remembered that she was the same age as Sally.

DAY 3

The next day was a similar pattern. Jeff spent the morning with Tracey and Brian and by himself on the high slopes while Kylie had her long lesson. Tracey thanked Jeff for helping Kylie with her skiing.

"She said you spent a few minutes with her and it really helped. Did she take any notice?"

"Well, she's a bit pig headed," Jeff lied and Brian nodded knowingly.

He skied past Kylie and her instructor and he felt a glow when she waved from from a distance and even better when he came closer and saw her open and excited smile. The next time he came down he went over and talked to the the two of them.

"Jeff, watch!" Kylie sped off down the slope.

"She's a very fast learner," said the attractive Norwegian to Jeff as they watched. She turned to Jeff. "You're a good skier, but a lesson would help."

Jeff had a fair idea of what sort of lesson she had in mind. "Maybe. See you tomorrow with Kylie."

When he went to lunch and Kylie was waiting, looking enchanting with her golden wavy hair and radiant smile.

"Wasn't I good?"

"Like I said yesterday, Kylie, you're marvelous."

She looked at him and held his hand. "You do say nice things." She didn't let go and then her face became sadder. "I wish Mum or Dad could say that. Just once."

GWBosh
GWBosh
407 Followers