A Warrior's Tale: Elvin Encounter

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I was stunned. I could hear talking above, shouting actually, but nothing was registering. I swam toward unconsciousness, fighting it all the way. I saw it then, a sudden brightness that seemed to pull me back toward reality.

When my eyes opened, there was light all around, not bright light as I’d initially thought, but dim light, firelight. I raised my head slowly, looking around. The first thing I saw was one of Kitira’s thin green legs. I glanced up. She was standing over me, bow drawn back, arrow ready to fire at some unseen target.

"That’s the one, girl," a male voice said, "He’s the leader."

I knew that voice. Tolliver? Yes, definitely Tolliver.

I wanted to know what was going on, especially with Kitira standing over me, protecting me as she was. I wanted to be a help, not a burden. I propped myself up on the palms of my hands and started to crawl backward, staying near the ground so as to ensure Kitira’s balance.

"Move slowly Kobress," Tolliver said, "Don’t make them any more defensive."

I obeyed him, getting to my knees behind Kitira and looking around for my sword. Nearby, I saw the firebox, and Tolliver’s feet. I found the sword few feet away, laying near some brush. Some of the Treedwellers were gathered closer to it than I was, so I left it for now. I looked toward Kitira’s target now, wondering why everything had stopped. No one was moving, barely breathing. No fighting, no speaking. It was making me uneasy.

A group of the Treedwellers waited just ahead of us, one in particular, staring back at Kitira as if it were surveying her, wondering if it could survive an attack.

"He’s the leader. Our only hope is that you keep him in your sights," Tolliver explained.

"He’s in my sights," Kitira replied, "And I’ll kill him if any of them move for us."

It growled as if it understood her words, then scowled, waving its wings at those around it. The others took flight, disappearing into the trees above. I guessed, hoped, that this was his order to retreat. It seemed accurate, as those around us were suddenly taking off, wings flapping wildly as they headed upward. I watched as they disappeared behind the leaves that blotted out the night sky above.

After a few moments, only the leader remained, frozen before the pointed arrow, yet not afraid.

It knows, I thought, that if we kill it, the others can slaughter us. They’re intelligent beings, not animals acting on instinct, but creatures capable of strategy and command ranks.

"You," Tolliver said, pointing to one of the elves, "Climb a tree and see if they are retreating."

The elf disappeared into the darkness to our right. A minute or so later, his voice came down at us from what sounded a fair distance away.

"They’re leaving! They’re leaving!"

Kitira stared at the creature, which stared back, then she lowered her bow, slowly, as if she might decide to kill it anyway. Once the weapon was down, it scowled at her, then took flight and disappeared as the others had.

Kitira watched it go, as if she knew already what had happened and regretted permitting it to leave.

"It is a victory," Tolliver said, trying to comfort her. I got to my feet and gathered my sword, then went to her side and wrapped my arm around her waist.

"You did good," I said, "We’ve won, and survived because of you."

She looked me in the eyes, managed a small but genuine smile. I kissed her on the forehead. When I glanced at Tolliver, he grinned and raised his eyebrows.

"Kobress," a voice shouted, sounding urgent. I glanced through the trees toward its origin.

"Kobress," it shouted again. Closer now, and I could hear feet trampling fallen leaves and branches. A moment later, one of the aging elves came into view, carrying at one side its bloodied axe. Apparently, they really were good fighters.

"Kobress," he began, catching his breath, "They’ve taken her, your friend."

My mind immediately went to Lunara.

"They’ve taken the girl, but I thought she was with Diblido, in the caves?"

The old elf shook his head. "No, not her."

I thought of Rayenne then, a good fighter, but young yet, not so well trained.

"Rayenne?" I asked.

He looked at me, his face grave.

"They’ve taken Kyra."

To Be Continued...