A Wider Sky Ch. 17 (revised)

Story Info
One last chance to save the world.
4.6k words
4.66
6.5k
2

Part 17 of the 18 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 02/11/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A Wider Sky: Beyond Eclipse Series

Copyright first edition 2013, 2015

Chapter 17

It's hard to believe the school holiday begins tomorrow and the end of the academic year was here. It seemed so far away, seven months ago when I first started school and even further away a week ago. But it was here and I would re-unite with my mom tonight.

I was so excited I was a bundle circuiting nervousness and twitch tension firing at the same time. Thrilled about going home (daresay) and on edge because Haazic had made contact with her brother. She was willing to allow me meet him today before I jump on the transport to go back home to my colony. I already knew I had to be very careful with meeting her brother in general, because if the powers-that-be found out that I was meeting with a rebel, I might never leave the colony again. Or worse they would kill me; and even more frightening, they could do something to my mother. But this was my only chance to find out the information that I sought. If there was a way to make the world better, where humans and the Y'vori could live together as one, it was worth the chance- it was a gamble my mother would be proud of. The world we live is now is horrible- a society built on the 'haves' and 'have nothings'.

I felt my arm being eagerly tugged by Haazic who sat next to me. I immediately snapped to the present task at hand: The Academic Program Awards ceremony. It was the final academic event after exams and it required the entire Harvard school's attendance.

"Let's congratulate our top student for this semester. Kiowa Walker!" the Dean of the Harvard School announced. My cheeks blossomed with heat, but Gaelen was gleaming with pride and giving me a slight squeeze. It was like doing a balancing acrobatic tango to walk over his long legs so that I could reach the aisle to make an embarrassing march towards the front of the auditorium. God, my butt seemed to expand awkwardly as I passed each person in the row.

"Bookmouse, Bookmouse," the entire school chanted, making it even more awkward for receiving a good grades award. Gaelen's term of endearment had grown popular in the school. My name was almost forgotten and people who didn't know me, only knew me as Bookmouse.

Now receiving this academic award would only solidify my name as Bookmouse.

I shook Professor Windsor's and the Dean's hand as they passed a certificate to me. Windsor was so impressed; he couldn't help but gloat about a student that was actually excelling in his class. Windsor prided himself in being known as Mr. Impossible-To-Pass.

I quickly grabbed my award said thank you and returned to my seat. Haazic gave me biggest hug she could before I could sit down and recover from the spotlight I recoil from. Adrenaline still surged through me I didn't realize I was clenching the elbow rest like a life raft in the ocean until Gaelen took my hand and tenderly kissed the back of my hand.

He whispered in my ear, "We will celebrate my way afterwards." I immediately tightened my center and shivered.

Once the passion tremor passed, Haazic whispered in my other ear "Gaelen's crazy. You better cool him down, What is he, a starving lion that wants a make-out session in the middle of an academic meeting?!"

"Shhh," I quietly giggled at her and caught in my periphery Gaelen's wink.

"Well, he will have to wait for another time. We need to leave as soon as that stiff is done talking." She gestured to one of the older academic professors still droning on the microphone with the enthusiasm to such a degree that was contrary of his frail and grey appearance. "We are going to the city center to meet my brother."

"Why somewhere so densely populated?"

"Because it's better to be right under your enemies noses when they are looking in a different direction."

I started to rehearse my speech that I was going to give Samson once I met him. I was so focused that I miss an important announcement about the upper classmen vacation break trip to the colonies next academic year. Everyone was cheering with excitement and Gaelen was whispering in my opposite ear of Haazic again. He wanted to go with me on the trip and he promised we would stow away for a quick passionate...

I closed my eyes, imagining it.

I didn't even realize he was no longer whispering, but trying to talk above all the students bustling to gather their things to leave the auditorium because the meeting had concluded.

Haazic grabbed me before I could give my excuse to Gaelen why I had to leave. I had practiced it for hours last night. Haazic was pulling me as we dashed off campus, leaving Gaelen behind. I hope I can see him one last time when I get back and before I leave for my colony. I didn't want our last moment to be this.

Together, we dashed to the train station reaching it in time to catching the first arriving train into the city center to meet Samson. I thought we would go to a sketchy looking warehouse in some strange, scary district of the city; instead we headed straight for the largest building on the center of the city that headquarters for the Y'vroi Government.

The building was like the Tower of Babel, mixing both Y'vori and human architectural style with the center appearing like a crystal cathedral with a horizontal beam of light that cast across the cityscape. This center was where the government held offices. I remember first meeting Lance and how he shared his dreams of one day working in the center of The Realm in this building. Haazic wasn't kidding when she said Samson was right under their noses.

We quietly entered the building, security didn't give us a second glance. I took note wondering if it were because Haazic's family were still respected Generals or did they feel that us, humans were so defeated, security was more of a show.

We took a lift to the 30th floor and I had expected it to open to a floor under construction, exposing the building's structural pillars and crossbeams. An unoccupied floor that was waiting for a new tenant. Instead, we entered an elegant office with a wild floral arrangements in crystal vases on the high receptionist desk made of glass. The sitting room had two long leather couches and stuffed chairs centered with a white marble coffee table with Birds of Paradise flowers in round South American vase. Behind one of the couches sat against the wall, a lacquer table with a welcoming silver ice bucket circled by crystal glassware and bottled water. It was far from what I expected for meeting a rebel fugitive in a secret meeting, but the entire office seemed quiet and empty.

This way," Haazic grabbed my hand, stopping me from further dazzled inspection of the office. "Come on."

We walked down a silent corridor of office doors, some closed and others open, revealing completely empty rooms with ceiling to floor windows looking out onto the city skyline. We stopped in front of a closed office door labeled 209. This door was the only numbered office in the entire hall.

Inside was a large and long empty room overlooking the city. On the far side of what could have been or will be a large boardroom, stood a tall, Y'vori leaning on one arm against the wall, looking out the large panoramic windows.

I could notice the sibling similarities immediately. Samson was built like a warrior, with strong, thick stilts for legs and perfectly broad shoulders that of a swimmer. He had long thick curly dreads that hit his low back in a rainbow of black, electric red, blue and purple. When he turned to us, I noticed the playful cynicism in his eyes that I had grown fond of in Haazic's steely personality.

"Haazic, it is good to see you sister," his deep baritone voice was so melodic and embracing just as the warmth he showed her enveloping her into a big hug. I hid behind her, not sure how I was going to approach the second conversation that I had rehearsed in my head all night.

"You too, brother," Haazic placed a hand on her hip and shifted to one side in attempts to not seem phased by whatever sibling strife or the pain of separation had effected her.

"Why is your friend hiding behind your back like some little mouse?"

Haazic snorted and turned to me practically throwing me in his direction. Her eyes glinted teasingly, "I think she has a crush on you." I blushed so hard, they both laughed.

"Let me get a good look at you?" Samson said and with one long stride in his leather pants, grabbed my chin bringing up to his inspection. Every muscle within me stiffened and he noticed something. He eyes shifted to me and then back to his sister before landing on me with more suspicion. "Leave us be, sister. I don't think she means me any harm. I'll answer her questions."

"Whatever, just don't recruit her," Haazic spat more than teased, turned and walked out of the conference room leaving the door slightly ajar.

"First, thank you for meeting with me," I started with a tremor in my voice. "I know that you are taking a huge risk meeting with me, someone you don't even know. And I want to promise you that I will keep your name and details in confidentiality and secrecy. I am writing a thesis paper on natural selection and the controversial. . ." I started my practiced speech, but he just walked around to close the door left ajar by Haazic.

"Sit down, human." Samson barked, breaking into my introduction of my fake thesis topic.

I shuffled back a few steps back.

He made me!

He made me in a single moment! I was made by someone outside of the college, this was even worse. My throat felt like thousands of red hot pokers had been pushed down my throat. My mouth was so parched.

"Kiowa Walker, is it?" He sat down kicking his legs out and then crossing his ankle over his knee to lean back relaxed and confident in the same room as a human. "Sit."

He pulled an office chair on rollers to me, but did not sit too close to him.

"So you are the one that passed the IQ exam with flying colors. Not too many people can do that?"

"Do you mean people or do you mean Y'vroi?"

"Both." He stated in an authoritative boom that my stomach sank with more worry. "So show me what you can do?"

"What?"

"Well, you said your thesis is was on natural selection. It's quite an interesting topic for a human to write about at your university, given you are the subject - the next species of this planet's evolutionary history."

"I am not sure what you are talking about, I am Y'vori and Haazic said I could meet you to-"

"I know what lies you told Haazic but you came here to ask me about the Buffalo Soldiers and if there a chance for real resistance."

"I am-"

"Don't lie to me human!" Samson snapped, towering over me, his hands trapped me to my chair as he leaned over me. "I only have a short amount of time and I wish to make it worth my while meeting you." His eyes were violet with rage and my heart raced. Samson was enticing to look at. How could such beauty and violence be so wrapped together in one whole package.

"Okay, okay. Are you going to kill me? Please don't kill me?"

Samson only chuckled. "No, Kiowa. I am not going to kill you. But you are threatening my patience. Like I said, I only have a short amount of time to answer your questions and we can't get to the heart of your inquiry if you are hiding behind lies."

My chest still rose like a fish out of water. What he said made sense and my mind willed my nerves to calm.

Sensing my turmoil of being identified, Samson backed away, returning to his seat. "I know you have some powers, Kiowa. Show me what you can do?"

"I can lift things into the air that's pretty much it."

He rubbed his chin and his whiskers made a pleasant scratching noise as he contemplated.

"One time, my boy- a friend of mine, said I became invisible and that I had blasted him away from me. I did move him away from me, but I am sure he knocked himself on his head, causing him to think I disappeared or vanished."

"You probably did become invisible. I've seen your kind do it before."

"My kind?"

"Babies born after Eclipse. We call you Sons and Daughters of the Earth or Sons and Daughter of the Eclipse. When we blasted your entire planet to kill most of the human race, those who survived that were in-ueturo have developed some of our powers and more. You are the key to our battle against ourselves."

"Me?"

"Yes, Children of the Earth like yourself. You need to tap into more of your powers and expand them. We were not meant to be rulers of this Earth. So nature has created a way for its inhabitants to protect themselves from the invaders. Us. But we hope that you would allow us to live in harmony with you. We want to help you."

My mouth didn't move It was open, ready to form words. I felt the air come in and out, but the voice was gone. But my heart was singing with hope.

"This is what you wanted to know, right? The answer to your thesis questions, right?"

I only nodded.

"Great, here!" He handed to me a strange chip and a second tablet that was the size of my palm. "They gave you a tablet right? Don't let that tablet detect this device. The tablet they gave you tracks you. But I am sure you figured that out already. Place this chip in that tablet, carefully avoiding the camera. They won't be able to detect it, but it will help us to see what they know and their movements regarding you and to keep you safe. So far they do not know what Children of the Earth are or that you exist. They believe that the rebels call ourselves Children of the Earth. Let's try to keep it that way. Don't let anyone see you use any powers on that campus. My sister included.

"She doesn't know that you are human yet, nor more than human. Once the word gets out, and it will, Kiowa. Someone will discover you are human. You will have a difficult time at that school and we don't really know why the headquarters are allowing you to attend the school in the first place. But no one can find out about your power."

He handed a small tablet to me, "This device has low frequency and you can use it in the colony. Give it to someone you trust. Someone that can keep it safe. Someone who is strong. If something were to happen to you, they deserve to know. You are going home today, right?" I nodded again, still lost without a voice. "Good. The timing is perfect. I will try to find you in your colony and train you. Now this boyfriend," he smirked a smile, "Who is this boyfriend that saw your camouflage?"

I scrunched my forehead, "Camouflage?"

"The boyfriend that saw you become invisible."

I rubbed my face hard with my hands, "Gaelen Borgia."

"Fuck!" Samson also rubbed his face, to whip the sudden stress from his countenance. "That is not good. Does he like you back?"

"He does, but it is confusing. His soul opened, but he ignores the girl written on his soul."

"Then it has not opened at all. It will not open with your name on it. You are not the same species. It is impossible." He sighed. "You could continue to be with him show him a lot of love and affection and hope that when his soul opens he will not forget his love and affection towards you when he turns against you. Or you can quickly depart from his life and hope he forgets as much about you now. So that when he does turn against you he will not remember your powers."

I licked my lips. I didn't like the idea of Gaelen turning against me. He had emphatically promised me he would never turn against me. And the idea of him forgetting my powers was impossible since it was my powers that first introduce me to him on the day I nearly pushed him down the Harvard staircase.

"I don't think he will turn against me. He loves me. He says he would even if I were a human."

Samson arched a scrutinizing eyebrow, "Have you ever walked in his dreams?"

"I don't know what you mean?"

"You can dream walk, many Children of the Earth can. You can get insights about him, about anyone if you walk in their dreams. We will work on that during your vacation."

"Samson!" Haazic said through the door sounding annoyed. Samson crossed over to me and eyed the door with irritation. "Samson! What the hell is taking so long?!"

"Thank you for meeting me Samson," I stood up and held my hand out, instead he gave me a hug and slung his arm over my shoulder.

"You won't be thanking me for very long," he winked. "You have enlisted. You are exactly who we've been hoping for?"

"Aren't all Children of the Eclipse scoring high on the IQ tests are being allowed to go to the universities."

"No. And no. There were only a small handful of you in the world. We are hoping maybe as few 100 or 200 and you are the only one to see this side of The Realm, to see purgatory and to go to the university and interact with other Y'vori. Be careful. Everyone is watching you right now. You are the smartest being and possibly the most powerful being on this planet. And with the future King being a Defect," I gasped and Samson smirked knowingly with amusement. "Yes, we all know about him. But you are being placed under a microscope. They must not know about your powers."

Haazic opened the door at that moment and shot her hip to the side in annoyance. "Please let go of my friend," Samson was giving my shoulder a squeeze goodbye. Haazic flipped her dreads behind her and she glared at her brother. "You enlisted her didn't you?" She sucked her teeth and then rolled her eyes at me. I only shrugged my shoulders.

"Not quite," I answered. "He is a good storyteller." I covered and then looked at Samson, he seemed impressed with my ability to weave a quick cover story.

"Let's go, girl. I am starved."

I quickly wrapped my arm through hers while she leaned back to kiss her brother goodbye over she should instead he pulled her away from me. In an urgent hushed whisper in her ear, it seemed like he was giving her war details. Haazic was at first smiling, but then she seemed to take in some grave information that turned her mahogany skin grey because Samson chuckled and turn the hushed conversation light. I couldn't make out what they were saying, but he made sure I overheard him say to his sister, to take care of me. 'We depend on her'.

I felt more confident. If he could trust his sister, than I could too. Haazic would be a really great friend.

*** *** ***

Haazic stood quietly and at a distance away from me on the ride back to campus. She kept looking me over like I had already been dressed in rebel garments ready to go against the Capital. It was so different than our gossipy and giggly ride to meet her brother.

"Is there anything you want to tell me, Kiowa?" Haazic's voice was dripping with accusations.

"Thank you for allowing me to meet your brother."

"Not that. Is there anything else you should tell me?"

"I dont know what you mean Haazic?"

"My brother whispered something about you."

"I trust your brother, so I trust you."

She sucked the inside of her cheek and hummed with annoyance.

"So what are you going to do during the break?" I tried to make small talk but she arched a speculative eyebrow and started typing on her tablet ignoring me.

We didn't say anything else. The train pulled into the campus stop and Haazic took off like a rabbit. I was still on the platform by the time she reached the bottom of the stairs and was running through the campus gates.

I saw the transport in the distance by the dormitories. Shit. I was going to be late and I would have time to say goodbye to Gaelen.

I was now sprinting like Haazic down the stairs and to the sidewalk that led through the campus gates.

As I ran through the gates, the world seemed to move in slow motion. I saw students running up to me, their faces seemed frozen in statue like states of anger and disgust. Like puppets, there heads shook in my face as I ran passed them and they started to enclose on me. I started to hear the cacophony of their shouting.

12