Abby Ch. 29

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Kezza67
Kezza67
1,195 Followers

Abby suddenly had a thought. "Mr. Walker, I assume there is a flue there?"

"Yes of course. We would use it if you have a gas cooker fitted."

"Could you use it for a real fire?"

George looked at her. "A real fire?"

"I have suddenly had this thought. I am not a cook, so it seems a waste of time my putting this big cooker in. It would be nice if I could have a fire there instead." George saw what she was getting at.

"Tell you what. How about a wood-burning stove? I can get one which will fit in nicely, look a little bit more like the old one as well. It will have an opening front so you can enjoy real flames. Course you will have to have a separate boiler for the central heating, but those come so neat and convenient these days, you will hardly notice it." Abby thought about this and nodded.

"Yes. I like that. Would you go ahead with that?"

"No problem. But what will you cook on?"

"I'll get a microwave, and a toaster. Anything else I will go down to the Inn and Mary will feed me."

They moved around the ground floor, with Abby gesturing to where she would like electric plugs to be, George marked the positions with a soft lead pencil with which he signed a great cross and a little lightning symbol. He nodded his thanks and said.

"If you would come back next week, we can do the same with the bedroom. Does your brochure have bathroom suites in it, as I shall need to know what you want soon?"

"No it didn't. What do you suggest?"

"I have got some catalogues, shall I bring them down to the Inn? Then we can go through them."

"Yes please, that would be good, but I don't want any of these plastic things." He smiled his agreement.

"Very wise. I have got some catalogues showing cast iron, and pressed steel baths. You'll have enough room up there to put in a separate shower cabinet and a Bidet if you wish. Give it some thought and we'll discuss it when I come down with the catalogues."

As she left it suddenly occurred to Abby that she would have to start thinking about furniture. Not for the main room as her grandfathers table, dresser and chairs would go back in there, but for the backroom, and for her bedroom. Loathe as she was to get Mavis and Mary too involved, she realised that she would have to bring them in to the discussion, else they would feel slighted. She was suddenly reminded that bedroom furniture would have to include a double bed, just in case a certain gentleman would be staying. Would they get a double up those stairs? She laughed at herself. Despite what Sam and Maggie had said, and despite her own gut feelings, there was still a nagging doubt. If James turned out to be her brother, then he would certainly not be staying. Abby then cheered herself up, it was better to be prepared, you never know.

Back at the Inn, a letter awaited her. Looking at the writing she knew exactly who this was from, hurriedly she opened the envelope, not bothering with a knife to slit it. Mr. Brasher had written.

Dear Abby.

I am writing first to thank you for your hospitality, when I stayed at the Combe Inn. Your kindness made my stay a very pleasant experience.

The Joint of beef, I am pleased to say, matched the praise I had given to the delight of many members. Our Chef, a man who is only grudgingly pleased, had to admit that it was some of the finest meat he had ever had the pleasure of cooking.

The committee had a meeting from which I excluded myself on the grounds that I had a particular interest. The judgement was that the Club should take immediate steps to obtain supplies on a regular basis. Our Chef therefore will be in contact with you in the very near future, to discuss prices and quantities. I should say at this juncture, that we would like to purchase all meats and poultry as well. He will probably travel down for a day, to inspect the facilities. Please do let me know when this would be convenient.

I intend to make another visit shortly, as I would very much appreciate an opportunity to talk with Mr. Purvess, as well as seeing the friends I made when last I visited. I shall write to you soon with the dates, hoping that Mr. and Mrs. Elvesly will be able to accommodate me.

I look forward to seeing you soon, and hearing how the restoration is getting along.

Your affectionate friend

Brasher

Abby needed to pass this good news on to Roger and Harry to start with and then to James. She immediately set off for Gallow Farm. The only one there was Mavis who could not entreat Abby to a tea or coffee, but did say that Roger was over in the fields repairing a gate, and that Sam was at Lydcott with Harry. Abby thanked Mavis and asked if she thought it would be alright to call at Lydcott.

"Bless you girl, of course. They will only be chatting if I know them. You go, they will be pleased to see you." Abby got back into her car and drove the short distance to Lydcott Farm. The drive as all these farm drives was not exactly a smooth surface, and Abby decided that if she would be doing this more frequently, perhaps she should get transport more suited to the terrain.

She drove into the yard and almost immediately Harry appeared from his shed, followed by Sam. "Miss Abby, it's so nice to see you here. Can I offer you a cuppa?"

"Harry, thank you, but I have had coffee at Nat's, and lemonade at Abe's. Any more to drink, and I will burst"

"Well come in anyway. Getting a bit chill to be standing about out here." Sam followed them in to the Kitchen. Harry looked embarrassed as the place was a bit untidy, with dirty dishes in the sink, and on the table. He quickly cleared the table, and invited Abby to sit. Abby gave him the letter from Mr. Brasher, which he read, then passed it on to Sam.

"Good news eh, Sam?" Sam had put his glasses on to read the letter, and looked up at Abby and smiled.

"Well, Abby? You will have to make your mind up quick. It looks as if we could be in business."

Abby had realised that she would have to take charge now. "Yes, Sam. I would like to have a meeting with everyone involved. Obviously not at the Inn, as Abe will not set foot in the place. I need to outline a few ideas, and set about getting the co-operative up and running. Where would you suggest?" Harry and Sam exchanged glances then Harry ventured his opinion.

"I would think that Nat would let us have it at his place. What do you reckon, Sam?"

"You could be right. Abe gets on with Nat better than anyone. If he came to Gallow, Mavis and he will get into a scrap, and Susan will I am sure put on a sandwich or two for us. Yes, Nat's best."

Abby nodded. "O.K. Next thing is when. We have a day or two. I will write back to Mr. Brasher to let him know that any time will be convenient for his Chef to call, but we will need to discuss prices beforehand. I will get on the internet and find the latest prices, but we will have to take into account transport and cold storage costs as well. I will ask Nat if this is alright with him and try and have our meeting within two or three days. Is that o.k. with you?" Harry and Sam both nodded. Sam with a little inward smile. Harry, Nat and the others had imagined that getting Abby to run things would merely relieve them of the organisation and paperwork. Now he thought they were going to discover that they had let loose a Tigress. If the gossip and conjecture surrounding Abby was anything to go by, she had done very well in her job, and made millions for her Bank. He did not doubt that Abby was going to be just as driven with the co-operative. Although he was no longer a farmer, he would be at the meeting, if only to see the expressions on their faces when they realised what they had done.

Abby spent quite a lot of time at Lyney House, grateful for the Aga which warmed the room making the calls that would get her the details she required for the meeting. The first day she waited at the door for someone to answer her knock. There was none, nor did she see James' Land Rover about. He had said to her to come at any time, but she felt inhibited about just walking in. Eventually the importance of her work got the better of her diffidence, the door when she tried it was unlocked so she made herself at home. It was strange for her to walk into a house with no locked door, but it would appear that James had a casual approach to security. With tea freshly brewed and her papers with lists of questions requiring answers she sat down to work.

James appeared after about an hour, and did not seem perturbed that Abby was making herself at home in his breakfast room. He bent over to claim his now usual greeting. Abby needed to explain. "There was no answer, and the door was unlocked so I just came in. I hope you don't mind?"

He shook his head totally unfazed "Not at all. I don't usually lock the door, and I did think you may be up to do some work, so I left it like that. Any tea left in that pot?" James made another pot as the tea was a little stewed. He took her mug and refilled it while he was about it.

With the cup steaming in front of her Abby wanted some advice. "Two things I want to run past you. First I want to register Combe Lyney as a brand." He raised his eyebrows, and gave it some thought.

"Now that is an excellent idea. A brand name for quality produce. Very good. Second?"

"Don't you want to discuss that?"

"Nothing to discuss." He shook his head. "It's a very good idea, I am sure the chaps will like it, and they are the ones who will have most to gain."

"Right. We have confirmation from Mr. Brasher that his Club will take meats on a regular basis. But I suspect that will not be sufficient to make that much difference. I would like to contact other Clubs, and possibly some top Hotels and see if we can get them interested. What do you think?"

James sat staring into his mug for a while before answering. "I agree that we ought to get other outlets, and yes, it has to be establishments which want the best for their clientele. I am not too sure about Hotels though. In my experience Hotels may provide you with comfortable bedrooms, but their restaurants leave a lot of room for improvement. It's all about profit margins. They tend to buy as economically as possible and sell at the highest price. I don't think they will pay a premium price for our produce." He thought for a moment. "But there are some restaurants that specialize in Traditional English Roasts. If you dined there you could have almost any meat you chose, and they usually have at least three trolleys, just for beef alone. They are very particular about quality. I think they would be a better outlet."

Abby was convinced. "Yes of course. Whenever the directors went out for lunch that was the kind of venue they chose. Well done my good ideas man. How do we get them interested though?"

James was thinking again. "I would say let the reputation speak for itself, and possibly they will come to you. The people who frequent the club are likely to favour those restaurants too." He stopped waiting for Abby to comment, she didn't apart from nodding her head, so he continued. "I think the best thing is to get it all set up, and iron out the logistics. Once that is working properly, then you can have a go at other outlets, when you know what quantities are required and how the demand can be satisfied. Growing beef is done over months, Abby, not just a few weeks."

Abby was silent for a while. James was right. Her ambition was running away from her, this was going to take some time. But she couldn't resist getting back at him. "I suppose this was your Army training, you cannot advance until you have all the necessary equipment in place?"

He smiled knowingly."Yes, it was a lesson hammered into us. Or in other words, don't stick your neck out, until you know that your body can follow and you're not going to be shot at."

Abby smiled wickedly. "Speaking of bodies following." She got no further.

"Don't start on that. I will have to go and take a cold shower if you go there."

"What did you think I was going to say?"

"Something saucy I expect."

Abby was laughing. "Perhaps I was but these tests are taking far too long."

"They'll be done soon. Doctor did say about four or five weeks, and it must be almost four weeks now. I'm just as impatient."

"Where are we going for this dirty weekend then?"

"Abby! A little more decorum please."

"I have been exercising decorum for too long. I want to be very, very naughty for once in my life. Well actually more than once, I am sure that once will not be satisfactory."

"Oh casting doubts on my ability as a lover, are we?"

"Not at all James, in fact it was more a compliment. I am certain that once tried, I shall want more."

"Oh Gawd! Definitely a cold shower beckoning. Stop this now, else I shall take you over this table now."

Abby's smile became broader if that was possible and her eyes twinkled. "Promises, promises" She laughed. "Ok, James. I shall stop teasing you."

To be continued

Kezza67
Kezza67
1,195 Followers
12