Abuse of Power

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The senator looked at Jake and nodded. Then the old man peered up into the gallery. Jake followed his glance and spotted the First Lady standing with her arms crossed beside the entrance to the highest tier in the room. When she saw the two men look up at her, she gave them a nod of grim satisfaction and then retreated through the doorway behind her.

One Year Later

When Jake had finished topping off the tank, he strolled into the gas station to pay the attendant. He was mostly using cash these days rather than credit cards, trying to try to stay off the grid as much as possible. He knew they could still find him if they wished, but he didn't want to make it easy. He was driving, not flying, for the same reason.

He hadn't checked the news in days, but when he spotted a copy of USA Today on the counter he picked up a copy on impulse. The front page was filled by a large photo of a wooden-faced Cap Pressman being escorted by Federal Marshalls. The headline read, "Pressman Heads to the Pen." The subhead added "First president ever convicted of a felony in office."

Jake gave a derisive laugh. "He always wanted to make the history books. Looks like he got his wish."

As he walked out he glanced up at the blue cloudless western sky. It had become a habit, but today he spotted nothing but an airliner some eight miles overhead. Nevertheless, he quickly stepped under the roof over the pumps.

He walked back to the car and passed a can of ice cold soda through the open window. "Thanks," Helen said. "How long before we reach Nebraska?"

He looked at the flat expanse of prairie stretched out before them. "I'd say we've got another hour before we hit the Missouri River," he told her.

As he got in the car and started the engine, she reached over and squeezed his arm with a look of concern on her face. "Any second thoughts about coming back here, Jake? After all, Pressman still has friends in Oklahoma."

He smiled at her. "I'm not worried: Cornhuskers and Sooners have been rivals forever." Then he grew serious. "Besides, do you know what the state motto of Nebraska is?" When she shook her head, he told her, "It's 'Equality Before the Law.' Nebraskans don't like officials who think they're above the law, out here or in Washington."

"Okay, but I still worry about you," she said.

He reached over and squeezed her hand. "I'll be fine as long as I've got you watching my back."