Abyss Pt. 03

Story Info
Georges and Diane fall into the abyss.
9.4k words
4.7
4.2k
3

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 03/27/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is the final part of Abyss. I have to warn you that there isn't a lot of sexy in this part. Everything is coming to a head and when vampires are involved that is not pretty.

Enjoy.

Abyss part 3

I find a pay phone and dial the number Major Price had given me. "Yes?" a firm male voice answers.

"I need a report," I tell him.

He draws in a quick breath at the sound of my voice. It seems I'm still not concealing myself well.

The man's a professional though and quickly gathers himself. "The team got here early. We had the subject under surveillance by 9:30 AM."

Yesterday Mandy went to classes, had dinner at a restaurant and returned home. Nothing unusual. The next part of his report catches my attention.

"Last night, the subject left her house at 10:57 and drove out of town. She was followed to an old farmhouse. More correctly, the road to an old farmhouse. My operative wouldn't travel any farther.

"I gave him hell for that. But he told me he wouldn't go near the place for all the money in the world. He said the place frightened him. That was a surprise. I've worked with him for three years and I didn't think anything scared him."

My contact's voice grows less professional, softer. "I did some digging. It turns out there was a multiple murder there, almost a century ago. Now the locals won't go near the place. And people from elsewhere who have lived in it won't stay more than a month or they never leave at all.

"I went to check it myself. My operative was correct. There's something not right about that place. I couldn't get myself near it, even in the daytime."

A wonder creeps into his tone. "I always believed such places were just fairy tales. I never thought I would ever see such a thing."

I have and more than once, is the thought I keep to myself. "Continue your report," I order him. My voice is normal now. I have myself under control.

"Yes sir!" he barks. I can almost see his heels click together as he stands at attention. "Today the subject attended one class, returned home for a short time then went to the university library. She's been there for nearly six hours now and is still inside."

"Thank you," I say, "well done."

"Thank you, sir. Good night." His job is finished for now and he hangs up. Neither of us have time to waste.

After I replace the receiver I think for several minutes. My fury has receded somewhat. Darkness no longer fills me or directs my actions, much. I want this silly conflict to end. The reasons behind it are foolish and Ms. Richardson has not the slightest idea of what she is dealing with. Perhaps it is time she knew. That might be enough to make her cease this stupid game.

I head to the library. It will be open for another hour yet and that will give me time to confront her. It's also public which will limit our actions. Nothing extreme will happen when there are likely to be witnesses.

Through that short journey, I work through what has happened. Most mysterious are the complete and extreme changes that Mandy can cause in her victims. I sort through all the methods by which such things can be done. Only one, that I know of, can affect a person as quickly and thoroughly as the shift I observed in Diane.

A shudder of pain passes through me at the thought of her. It takes a major effort of will to keep myself reined in.

I return to my thoughts, recheck my premise and conclude it is the most likely explanation. I realize I'm going to have to be very careful if I wish to survive.

On reaching the library, I go to the front desk. There's only one librarian on duty. After giving a description, I inquire where Ms. Richardson is.

"I can't tell you that, sir. We aren't required to te..."

I haven't time for this. I look into her eyes and she goes blank.

"Where is she?" I ask once more.

"The reading room on the third floor," comes in a flat reply.

"Is she alone?"

"Yes."

"What has she been doing?"

"Going through our rare history section. She's been working backwards through the last two centuries."

"You won't remember I was here. Ignore me for the rest of the night."

"Yes," she tells me.

I release her and she turns away, goes back to her work.

Once I climb to the third floor, I go to where my adversary is working. This late in the evening the level is empty. The door of the reading room is locked. Shaking my head in distaste, I place my hand on the wood and push with all of my strength. The jamb shatters and I swing the portal open. Mandy looks up with shock in her eyes, astounded at my sudden presence. I saunter over and place myself in a chair, just beyond her reach.

I glance at the book she has spread on the table. It's an old one and is turned to a reproduction of a painting. I know the work well. It was done in the early 1790's, just before I left France for the first time. The subject of the portrait is me. I look as the artist sardonically, a world weary and cynical smile on my lips.

When I look at Ms. Richardson again, I place that expression on my face. She rapidly moves her gaze back and forth between me and my avatar. Confusion grows each time her eyes shift.

"Oh yes, that is me." I tell her. Her disquiet fades. Her mouth drops as my revelation hits home.

"Mademoiselle Richardson," I say to her then, mild contempt making my voice frosty, "you better than anybody should know there are more things on earth than are dreamt of in most people's philosophies."

"What are you talking about?" She puts a poor poker face on, trying to hide her concern.

"Let me recreate my thinking. I've encountered two of your victims so far. The Dean..."

"You know about that?" she interjects.

"Don't interrupt," I snap at her. "The Dean was the first one. After observing your little tryst with your former English teacher several evenings ago..."

Mandy's face blanches as she discovers how vulnerable she actually is.

"...I initially thought you had some skill at uncovering weak spots in people's sexual make up and exploiting them. I had to rethink that hypothesis after I visited my friend tonight."

Mandy can't help but put a self satisfied smirk on her face at the mention of Diane. She comes very close to dying at that point, however I manage to rein myself in.

"That was most amazing. Such a complete change of perspective so quickly. No natural means of persuasion can cause such effects in so short a time. So that leaves unnatural ones.

"You're a mage, Mademoiselle Richardson. You use spells to capture people's minds and then use them for your purposes."

Mandy slumps into her usual insouciant posture. "Good one, prof," she states. "You've found me out." A chuckle emerges from her throat. "I've really underestimated you, haven't I?"

"You have indeed," I reply with a dip of my head.

"Yeah, I use spells. But not on their minds."

My eyebrows quirk up in curiosity.

"My little girl was the first. But I asked for control of her body," Mandy tells me.

I nod my understanding to her.

"So her body does what I tell it to do. Her mind's free. She was a frumpy, cold fundamentalist when I took her. A real Puritan. She turned out to be gay and after I started giving her regular orgasms, she ended up hooked. Now I don't need to use the power of the spell at all. She's so addicted to coming she does anything I ask. My little girl's a complete orgasm junkie now."

My distaste for Ms. Richardson goes higher. It's not only what she does, but the contempt she holds her victims in that I find abhorrent. There's not the slightest concern for them.

"My bitch was next. Used a different spell on her, I took her will. She didn't lose it, it works for me now. I tell her something and her will gets busy to make it true. Damn, she was an uppity cunt. But look at her now, all soft, weak and horny. She loves being humiliated. Sometimes I even have her bang some guy. I made her believe she both hates and loves it now.

"It's also handy for me to get men to do things."

"Ah, the thugs," I note. "You told Ms. Coburn to promise to; what's the American term, put out if they put me in the hospital."

She nods her head with a feral grin on her face.

"I've used a few other people. I had a whole list I wanted to get back at and I did. By the time I got to school here, I found I liked fucking people around. I needed to look like I was doing schoolwork, so that's when I took the Dean's will. She's really sweet. I don't push her as hard as my little girl or my bitch, but she's addicted to me as well. Plus she's really handy for making sure I pass. All I have to do is say I'll cut her off and she gets right to work.

"Everything was fine until you came along. I couldn't manipulate you. I didn't want to use a spell. I sure as hell don't need a male sex slave. And I didn't think I needed to.

"But you wouldn't back down. You stood up to the Dean, and those football players didn't even make you break a sweat. I needed some other way to hurt you.

"So I had my bitch convince some hacker in the computer science lab to do some digging. A single blow job goes a long way over there. He pulled up cab and phone records that brought your friend to my attention."

My hands tighten into fists as I realize my lovely woman's fate is my fault. If I had fed and gone, she would be whole. But I had to pretend to be human. I'm such a fool.

"I wasn't sure what you two were doing but I had an idea.

"So I took her will as well. Cast the spell last night, went there this morning and fucked her mind over. I bet that was a pleasant surprise." She doesn't try to hide her gloating pride.

I go blank inside. Rage and darkness bubble deep within me. I allow them no access to my actions. They hammer at my will though. I spend a very long minute holding them back. If I rip Mandy to shreds I will not accomplish my purpose here.

"So," I say to her once I'm able. "That explains the 'How'. Now the important question is 'Why?'"

"Because I can!" my opponent snarls back at me.

In spite of everything, I can't help but chuckle at that. "That's what men use as an excuse to urinate out of car windows. You can do better than that."

Mandy shrinks in her chair, pulling her arms in close and slouching forward. Her eyes scowl in anger and remembered pain. "You want to know why? When I discovered what sort of person I am, that I liked women, I was confused and scared. I had to talk to someone. Someone I trusted, someone I thought had a good heart, who could help me understand.

"That was my little girl, and she betrayed me! Practically spit on me! Called me a monster, an abomination. She told everybody about me and to all purposes gave them permission to abuse me. My bitch was the worst. She never did anything directly but she manipulated everyone else. Got someone to burn my car, got a couple of guys to try and rape me. That sort of thing went on for almost a year."

In spite of everything I can't help but feel pity for Mandy Richardson. I am well aware of how cruel humans can be to one another. It never fails to sicken me.

"My dad had a book and I stole it. I used the spells in it, used them to break the people who tried to break me. You've seen what I did to my betrayer and Miss Congeniality. The guy who burned my car died in a fire himself. One of my would be rapists was found balls deep in the asshole of the other. Nobody, not even their families, would speak to them after that." There's a satisfied, wicked smile on her face now.

"Hmm," I remark. "Revenge. I can understand that. But why the Dean, myself and my friend?"

"Because no one is ever, ever going to stand in my way again! I use Dr. Metaxas because she controls the university. So the university won't be a barrier to me. I'll pass no matter what I do." Mandy giggles with a sweetness darkly poisoned. "Plus she was a real horny slut once I broke her in.

"You stood against me as well. So I used your friend to hurt you after nothing else worked." The self satisfied smirk is back.

"Now you know why," she finishes.

"Actually, that's only partly true," I tell her. "You've merely changed the focus of the question. Why are you still acting as if you're inferior and helpless? You beat your tormentors. There's no need to do more, but you do."

Ms. Richardson slams back in her chair as if I slapped her. She had never really, really, considered her motivations until now. For a second, her face blanks as she weighs my words. During that very short interval, I feel hope. Perhaps she'll see what she has become.

Her expression hardens and I know my belief is forlorn.

"I'm not inferior and helpless!" she spits. "I prove it every time I use my power!"

The last word gives me the hook for my next gambit. "Yes, your power. Have you ever considered where that comes from, Ms Richardson?"

"What do you mean?" she asks with a worried cast to her face.

"I have an idea. You have to summon things, don't you? From somewhere else?"

Mandy's face goes a little pale and a shiver runs through her body. She has been dealing with beings from elsewhere.

I press on. "That place is the abyss. It's a territory dark, vast and fearful. So are the things summoned from it. Do you recall what Nietzsche had to say about the abyss, Ms. Richardson?"

"No."

"He said, 'As you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.' You've been staring at each other for a long time now. What he didn't mention is that the abyss takes you for its own, eventually. People who deal too much with it are eaten by it. Is this the fate you want, Mandy? To be eaten by the abyss?"

I've made a mistake by using her first name.

"Don't get friendly with me, asshole! I'm the one in control. The abyss does what I tell it, not the other way around. Nothing and no one tells me what to do!"

I look at her then, my eyes cold and my face reflective. She stares back defiantly. Our gazes lock for a long interval of time.

"Very well," I finally announce. "I've tried psychology and philosophy. I guess I'm going to have to use something simple that you can understand. Threats." I drop my human mask. My skin grows bloodless and I flash my fangs at her.

Mandy gapes and recoils. Her feet jump, pushing her away from me and her chair hits the wall with a loud thump. She hadn't known exactly what I was, until now.

"So you think you understand about power and manipulation? Stupid human, I have centuries more experience at them than you. I can hurt you when ever I wish, Ms. Richardson.

"Do you have any feelings for Christy? I hope so. It will increase the effect when you wake up one morning and she is cold in your arms, her face filled with exquisite terror."

Ms. Richardson's eyes grow wide and the color leaves her face.

"One night, Mrs. Moran will go to the washroom and not come back. You'll find her sitting on the toilet with her head nearly twisted off."

Mandy's mouth goes slack with shock.

"Do you have a pet? You'll find it hanging from the hall ceiling, cut open and with its intestines trailing out.

"Replace that with a tank of fish? One morning you'll discover them dissolving slowly as their water was replaced with battery acid overnight."

She whimpers and tears start to flow.

"That nice house you're in will burn one day. Any vehicle you own will be destroyed beyond repair.

"Your parents..."

"Leave my parents out of this!" she shrieks.

"Why should I?" I ask her with ice in my voice. "You're the one who decided to involve innocents.

"Your parents," I go on, "will be found crucified naked in their living room, burns and shallow cuts caked with salt on every inch of their bodies."

She pants with terror now.

"Anything and everything of the slightest value will be taken from you in a horrible manner. You'll have to live with the pain of that and the guilt of knowing it was your fault.

"That will continue until the end of your days."

Mandy's huddling for warmth, her chest heaving and eyes flowing. She thought she knew about pain and terror. The fact that she understood so little is more than she can take.

I lean back in my chair, resume my mortal appearance. "So here are my demands."

She looks up, not comprehending.

"Restore Diane, undo your work on her. Free the rest of your victims, they've suffered enough. Live your life as a normal human woman. Never cast another spell again.

"Do that and I'll keep my threat in abeyance. If you don't meet my demands, I'll carry out the campaign against you that I've just outlined. You have until tomorrow night, Mademoiselle Richardson. Au revoir."

I stand and without looking back, leave her and the library.

* * * *

Hours later I am on my bench at Poet's Walk, desperately trying to subdue my emotions. The battle between man and monster is more intense than it has been for a long time.

The human feelings; sorrow, longing and anger surge through me. Diane and what has happened to her make my mind boil. The fate of Mandy's other victims adds a little heat.

They slop over to the monster, make its presence intense. It takes all my strength to keep from searching out Mandy and making her pay in terror and agony.

You don't have to be a monster, even now, I tell myself. Ms. Richardson can meet my demands. If she does, our war is over. Like most wars, nothing will be gained, save the freedom of the people damaged by her. To me, that is more important than victory.

I tense as a fluttering sound comes from my right. It sounds as if a large bird is moving nearby, almost. But not quite.

The noise comes again, in front of me and I look to see if I can spot whatever is there. Nothing.

Again the susurration reaches me, left side this time. I recognize the pattern now. Whatever is out there is running a circle around me to check my awareness and for defences. Which means...

I roll off the bench and something flashes by. It would have landed on my back if I had stayed still. A rank, fetid smell fills the air.

I come to my feet, facing the thing as it lands. For thing it is. It's shaped vaguely like a whippet, spare and lean. But it's three times the size of animal it is patterned after. Large wings resembling a bat's are furled against its back. The body appears to be made out of rotting meat, the surface is scabrous, decomposing in places with maggots dripping from its interior. The eyes are milky but also glow with a dark intent. The jaws contain large, undamaged and very sharp teeth.

I can't help myself and use a line from a favored movie. "You are one ugly motherfucker."

A feeling scratches at the edge of my mind. I sense that the hell hound finds me amusing. I'm the first victim in a while who has shown defiance. It likes that, bravado will make my destruction more savory.

During that very short interval of distraction I prepare myself. My fingernails lengthen, thicken and become razor sharp. The sounds around me change in timbre as my body speeds up.

Without a noise it leaps for me. A mortal would die before this aberration's assault. I take what seems to me a second to consider my response, step straight in and shove the spear point of my hand between its eyes. Pivoting to my left like a matador I hurl it into some bushes beyond the bench where I sat. Something black and slimy is wrapped in my fingers, the hell hound's brain I'm hoping.

It would appear so. The creature in the shrubbery twitches, scrabbles at the air and bursts into blue flame.

So does what I grip in my hand and coats my lower arm.

The pain is enormous, beyond description. My head rolls back and I howl with my suffering. The ululation is utterly bestial. What I try to be is swept away and the monster screams free.

The light and my torture end. As my awareness returns I find I'm on my knees. With effort I manage to focus on my hand. Little remains but a large chunk of charcoal, desiccated digits sticking from it. Without thought, I use my power. I can almost feel the liquid in my stomach gurgle as it's changed into flesh and bone. My hand goes through a transformation like a movie playing backwards.