Accidental Summoning Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hamid shrugged. "I don't know anything about that." Which was true, strictly speaking. He'd made sure to not ask Alichino anything about what she'd been up to. "I certainly didn't write them."

"Of course. You were still under observation in the hospital. And neither Lonnie or Wilfred were in any sort of fit mental state to create such a forgery. So I wonder who could have done it?"

Hamid kept his mouth shut and wondered how suspicious it would look if he suddenly ran off while claiming to have a prior engagement. It would look all sorts of suspicious, he decided.

The detective kept speaking. "The experts claim that the handwriting is a match to Paul's. But he's presumed dead. So you can appreciate that I really am in a bind here." He crossed his arms and looked back out over the pond. "I'm also beginning to have my doubts about those drug tests. They were a little too consistent with each other. Of course the blood samples are no longer viable so my suspicion is moot."

Hamid wetted his lips. "I...that is,-"

"Don't say anything. I've done no further tests, and nobody but you knows about my observations. Just tell me that you're okay. That nobody's forcing you to go to...to Switzerland."

The young man took in a shaky breath. "Yes. I'm in my right mind. This is something I want to do."

"I'm glad to hear it." The detective was silent for so long that Hamid wondered if the talk was over.

"I've seen a lot of horrible things," Alberth said finally, but in a much softer tone. "It comes with the job. So I haven't believed in a higher power for years. There's only us in the cosmos, alone with our follies and weaknesses. There's nobody looking out for us."

He looked over at Hamid and smiled. "But I'm always willing to be proven wrong. You take care, Hamid." Alberth strolled off through the park, leaving Hamid alone to look out over the sunlit water.