Across Enemy Lines Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
hayalet
hayalet
24 Followers

"Charles, why..." she said, but he raised his sleepy head and put a finger over her mouth.

"Let's not spoil tonight by talking," he said, and laid his head against her chest. She held him, closing her eyes, allowing herself to dream the impossible, just for a short time.

=====

A faint buzzing noise stirred her out of her dreams. Charles's arm was lying across her body and she looked at his sleeping face, the lips parted slightly. He was beautiful and she sighed. Why did things have to be so complicated?

The noise grew louder and she realised it was her mobile phone, vibrating against her lip gloss. Wriggling out from Charles's limbs, she went into the bathroom to answer it. Her eye caught the bedside clock. 6am! What was Nick thinking?

"Monica, you'd better come now," her assistant said. "We're meeting in the lobby in fifteen minutes."

She caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror, her hair tousled and mascara smeared. The faint blush of love bites on her shoulders where Charles had marked his territory. "Fifteen minutes?"

Nick sounded frantic. His voice dropped to almost a whisper. "Whatever Mr Scott has heard, he's so angry, Monica! I have to go, get packed. See you in the lobby."

The line went dead. Monica looked back at the bed where Charles slept. Tears welled in her eyes as she gathered her things. She paused at the door, looking back at the angelic face one last time. "This isn't finished," she whispered, letting the door click shut behind her.

=====

After a quick wash, Monica shoved her stuff back into the bag and smoothed her hair. Without makeup she looked younger, more vulnerable. She tied her hair back and frowned. What on earth could her boss have heard to warrant a meeting so early in the morning?

They assembled around the table in the dining area to the smell of freshly ground coffee. Monica took a sip, feeling the bitter taste jerk her brain to a higher level of activity. Fran was grinning like a cat. As Mr Scott came over to take his seat, she whispered, "Where did you sleep last night?"

"Tell you later," Monica said, but judging by the satisfied look on Fran's face, she didn't need to be told. Mr Scott rubbed his hands together and cleared his throat, and the women sat back, focusing on him immediately.

"I'll keep this short," he said. "It's come to my attention that certain parties are looking to take us over. While we've been sitting back on our laurels after the merger, it seems our successes haven't gone unnoticed." He sat back, frowning. "Any of you know anything about Rupert Cross and Halpern Industries?"

Monica's skin went icy and she gulped her coffee. The heat made her eyes water. "I heard Cross is big into hostile takeovers," she said. "Last night I overheard some women talking about it in the bathroom."

"That scumbag is getting this company over my dead body," Mr Scott said. "This is a matter for the board to deal with, of course. And some of them... I'm telling you now because..." He ran his hands through his hair. "They've tried this before. But this time... anyway, I wanted you to know. In case any of you want to find another job."

There was a silence. Monica sipped the coffee again. Was Mr Scott looking out for them? Or was he trying to offload his best and brightest, to make the company less attractive for Halpern Industries to acquire? Either way, she had no intention of looking for another job. It had been a hard, lonely slog to get to where she was and if there was any chance of saving her job and staying with the company she loved, then she was in until the death. The thought of Charles as her boss...well, it was unthinkable.

"Is there anything we can do to help?" Fran's voice was timid.

Mr Scott considered her question. Finally he said, "Yes, there is. I want dirt on Cross. And Halpern too, that slime ball. Anything at all you can find out that can help us. They still haven't got a controlling interest, so we have time. Just get out there and find out what you can."

All eyes swiveled towards Monica. She kept her gaze on the old man's face, trying to keep the blood from rising to her cheeks. So everyone knew where she had been the night before. Sleeping with the enemy. Well, if there was dirt to be found, she was determined to get it, one way or another. Charles played a dirty game. He was going to find out that he was not the only one who knew the rules.

hayalet
hayalet
24 Followers
12