Adage of the Snow-Water Ch. 02

Story Info
Finding new Angel Ordinals.
6.5k words
4.81
5.9k
9

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 12/22/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A parrot - that was what Lucian saw. Blue feathers tipped with bright red and yellow.

And then she appeared.

Hair the colour of dark oak trailed between her wings, down to the ground; her skin was chocolate and smooth like sculpted clay. But it was her face that took his breath away.

Where her eyes were supposed to be, they were hollowed rounds framed by a mask of blue parrot feathers that seemed to blend straight onto her face.

And yet she was looking at him as though she could see right through him.

"Hello?" A cautious greeting. Lucian kept his eyes on her - a hawk assessing a predator.

She looked like nothing he had ever seen before. Colourful like a Light Angel and yet so grounded... like Gaia.

An Earth Angel? Impossible! And yet, he had to admit, there was an earthly signature to her: luscious hair that roped like wooden vines, the freckles on her legs resembling the bark of oak, and her lip - so blue with flecks of green and brown on them as though...

She had the kiss of Earth itself.

Intrigued, he moved closer to examine the continents, surprised at how accurate a depiction they were.

"What are you doing here?" Her voice was gentle, her words spoken in a sing-song manner.

"My name is Lucian," he began cautiously. "I am an Ordinal in service of Archangel Aria. She has built her home not far from here and we are merely exploring the nearby islands."

"We?" Her back feathers fanned out defensively, anticipating an attack.

"My fellow Ordinals and I mean no harm. One is merely a child. She will not hurt you."

"And the other?"

"My senior Ordinal knows better than to attack a powerful being without the consent of her Archangel."

She made no reply and instead moved closer to rest a palm on his cheek. "I see. And you are... a Light Angel?" Her fingers traced his face and rested on his lips, feeling his smile. "Ah, and a very handsome one I must say. I can feel your heat - a mild tempered warmth. Not a Fire Angel," she whispered, as though anticipating his question.

"And you are an Earth Angel."

"Indeed. My name is Anhē." The Earth Angel tilted her face to the sky, as though checking out the weather. "Archangel Aria? Is she the one who's been averting all the hurricanes due this way?"

Lucian smiled. "She is the Archangel of Water. Weather is her thing."

Anhē frowned, the lines marring her smooth features. "Water? I have not heard of that element for so long. Is she of the deep sea?"

Frowning this time, Lucian shook his head. Just where has this Angel been the past few months? And how did an Earth Angel - one that had been awaken mere weeks ago manage to create such a catastrophe like the one they just witnessed? Unless of course, she wasn't an infant Angel...

There was just something about Anhē that tugged at him; her essence was calling to him. She didn't seem dangerous and yet he knew she had so much latent energy. His intrigue of her was growing by the minute.

Who the hell was she?

"Tell me Lucian of the Light clan, what colour is your wings?"

"Lavender. Just like the scent."

He tried not to stiffen when she brushed her nose on the down of his wings.

"Such softness," she whispered. "Do you always carry your sensuality so proudly like this all the time? Takes a lot of confidence."

"I am what I am. I do not pretend to be otherwise."

The Earth Angel broadened her smile. "I like you." Looking up towards the sky once more, she whispered, "It seems we are no longer alone."

Chióni with Kissa in her arms were descending onto the sandy shores. Lucian saw the warrior stance on Chióni's face and knew that he had to step in before she launched an unnecessary attack.

Chióni,it's fine. Please stand down.

Sky blue eyes widened in surprise. Was that an order?

Lucian knew he had crossed a line slightly but he kept his gaze on her until she relaxed a fraction.

"Lucian?" Anhē drifted close, her hand finding solace in his presence. "Is the Water Archangel you speak of?"

Lucian gestured to Kissa, bidding her to come closer. The shy, cautious Angel stepped forth, allowing Anhē to reach for her midnight hair; her fingers idly combing the strands.

"I am a Water Angel, though just a child. Aria is my elder sister."

Anhē continued to caress her hair, bobbing her head in agreement with her own thoughts.

"And yet, you are almost a Cardinal yourself." Anhē smiled as she tilted Kissa's face up to face her. "You have such a gentle spirit young Angel and I bet your sister is too."

"Would you like to meet her for yourself?" Lucian offered.

Parrot wings spread out taut; the warning in them clear.

"Why should I?" Her tone suddenly crisps.

Lucian's lips curled into an arrogant smile, his wings brushing against her skin delicately. "Because I would like to spend more time with you."

Her response was pure delight; laughter causing two dimples at the sides of her cheeks. "You're a tease. Aren't you just a little baby?" she retorted.

"You're welcome to find out."

Though he couldn't see her, Lucian could feel Chióni's deathly stare penetrating his back.

Anhē however, looked pleased with herself for having garnered such attention.

Taking her arm into his own, Lucian gave it a soft pat. So he liked older women. Chióni should have known that by now. Although...if Anhē was indeed Gaia's contemporary, then she would be a few million years older than him - the very least.

Which would make her, a Cardinal.

***

Chióni's reaction to Lucian's suggestion was a sub-zero degree stare that could have burn a hole in his eyes.

Kissa on the other hand was exhilarated. Anhē seemed to be a treasure trove of knowledge - especially about Water Angels and Kissa was just as excited to let Aria meet her as Lucian was.

Come on Chióni, she's blind.

Another icy look - this one was laced with pure venom.

And your point is?

Whatever Lucian wanted to say was interrupted by Anhē's gasp as she was led underwater via the tunnels.

"No, no! I can't! Please! I can't feel anything beneath my feet!" Feathered wings fluttered in panic.

"It's alright Anhē. We won't go too deep under, I promise. I'm right here with you," said Lucian, quickly leaving Chióni to be by the Earth Angel's side.

His presence seemed to comfort her a little for she clasped her wings tight, forming a protective shell around her body.

True to his word, Aria was already waiting at the open deck of their main hall for her guest.

"Archangel, let me introduce you to Anhē. She is a Cardinal Earth Angel."

"Anhē, this is Archangel Aria of the Water clan."

If she was shocked, Aria made no show of it. She simply stepped forward and stretched out her hands to receive her special guest. Seeing that the Earth Angel made no corrections to her status, Aria had to assume she was indeed dealing with a fellow Cardinal.

Anhē on the other hand seemed unperturbed by the presence of an Archangel. She simply accepted Aria's hands and gently turned her palms upwards; tracing the lines as though reading a story from the creases.

As the Earth Angel examined her hands, Aria lifted her eyes to look at her Ordinals. Chióni's stance was pure defensive; her hands perched on the hilt of her sword, ready to slice up their guest at a moment's notice.

Lucian and Kissa on the other hand were like a pair of gossip girls, whispering wickedly at the idea of having a powerful Earth Angel in her service.

Aria however didn't think that was possible. Anhē was a Cardinal and while she seemed unaware of the recent events, Aria could not trust her wholeheartedly. Hadn't Gaia been just as elusive? And her kindness and help had a price to it - her wings.

"Anhē, if I may ask, have you always been in this form all your life?"

Dropping her hands, Anhē reached forward to touch Aria's face.

"I was never a Valkyrie like you were, if that's what you're asking. I live amongst the birds and migrate as a flock with them."

That was almost impossible to comprehend. How could it be that she still retained her wings when Gaia herself has lost hers, reducing her clan to wingless humans?

The answers were yet to come. What better way to find out than to allow Gaia to meet her in person at the coronation ceremony? The other Archangels might also be able to shed some light to the mystery.

"Anhē, I am very happy to have met you. Earth Angels are always welcomed in our home."

"As I, Aria. Perhaps we could talk more next time when my feet are on dry land."

"Of course, my sister will escort you back to the surface. However, if it pleases you, our home is open for all on the eve of the winter solstice for my coronation ceremony. I would be honoured if you could come."

"Then it would be my pleasure," she replied, getting to her feet. "Till we meet again."

As a parting gesture, the Earth Angel bowed low, her wings spread open, touching the ground.

Aria watched as her guest ascended back to the shore before turning to her remaining two Ordinals.

"I take it the search didn't go well?"

Chióni relayed to her Cardinal the events that happened earlier that morning. Lucian finished off with their encounter with the Earth Angel.

"You seemed intent that she should be part of the service Lucian," noted Aria. "Not worried she'll be competition for the prettiest feathers?"

"Hey hey! You adore my purple fluff please." At Chióni's solemn cough, he straightened up and continued. "I think there is value in courting her, Archangel. No one has ever had an Earth Angel in their service before and I just have a good feeling about it. I know she knows a lot more about the Water Angels than she's willing to share."

"We cannot just base our decisions on your good feeling. It's too much a risk having two Cardinals at the top hierarchy of a clan. That's what causes mutiny and discord," warned Chióni.

Aria understood her concerns entirely. It was too soon since the last shift in power between Yuki and herself for another one to happen.

"I've already invited her to the coronation. Whether or not she chooses to participate in the tests is up to her." Aria looked at her Ordinals and then turned away. "She seems like such a free spirit. It would feel almost like I'm caging if she becomes my Ordinal."

And was that even right? How does a Cardinal even step down to the level of Ordinal and obey her orders? Aria knew she had neither seniority nor powers over Anhē.

"Ordinals have been stepping up into the shoes of Archangels all the time," retorted Lucian, reading her concerns too well. "Take Andhera for example. I don't see why the opposite will be a problem."

"Lucian, let's give us some time to get to know her. I know you're smitten but for the rest of us..." Aria's gaze landed knowingly on Chióni. "Sometimes it takes a very powerful moment to snap the bond between Angels in place."

Lucian knew that was how Chióni ended up loyal to Aria but for some reason the bond between them did not extend between Chióni and himself. However, he had felt something with Anhē and he damn well would make sure Aria felt the same.

"Look, you've still not found a way to unseal the Water Lore and maybe this is your chance to learn how! Why are you being so stubborn?!"

"Lucian!" Chióni's slap across his face was so unexpected that Aria had to take a step back. "Leave!"

Stunned, Lucian remained rooted for a second before the anger started to seep through.

Turning on his heels, he marched out of the main hall, chin up and his wings trailing behind him in a dramatic show of rejection.

"I can't say he deserved that," said Aria with a sigh. "But he can sometimes think too much with his heart than his head."

Chióni said nothing.

"I suppose that will come between you two more often than I'd like." Heading to her chambers, Aria glanced at her Ordinal one last time. "Work it out."

***

Lucian was fuming! She had slapped him in front of their Archangel like he was a petulant child. He was an Ordinal, just like her! So what if she was a few centuries older?

He was Aria's Ordinal first. And if anything, that gave him seniority.

Clearly pissed off, Lucian marched his way to Marcus and Angelo's temporary quarters.

At least the boys would be more understanding.

Women!

Marcus however, was nowhere to be found, leaving Angelo glued in front of his Xbox.

"Hello Angelo. Aren't you supposed to be training?"

"Nah. We're done. I knocked Marcus flat to the ground so many times, he gave me the day off."

Arching an eyebrow, Lucian savoured this fresh piece of news and considered how best to milk it to his advantage. He had no doubt that Marcus was with Kissa. Somehow those two had managed to sneak off and...

Ice.

Lucian quickly hid himself behind a heavy wooden door. If he wasn't so pissed off with her, he would have jumped and entertain himself with her array of curses.

"Hi Angelo, is Marcus here?"

Angelo gave her the same response he gave Lucian. Unsatisfied with his answer, Chióni left and headed towards the upper courtyard that led to the surface.

Curiosity got the better of him. What did she need Marcus for?

And if Marcus was indeed sniffing around his little Water Angel - god bless him - then it was best that he followed her and stop her path of destruction.

Knowing Chióni, she would shred Kissa to pieces if she caught the Angel even within an inch of the Metal Ordinal.

"Not everybody's a cold hearted bitch," he murmured even as his gaze landed on the alluring sway of her hips.

As the first whiff of fresh salty air hit him, Lucian couldn't help but feel uplifted. Cooped up underwater with a cranky Snow-Water Ordinal was no good for his spirits. Up here where the sun was strong and the wind was cool - he felt at peace.

Kissa... where are you?

I just left Anhē back on her island. Is... is there something wrong?

Depends. Are you with Marcus?

Her moment of hesitation was answer enough for Lucian.

Chióni's looking for him. I'll see you at my place.

***

Kissa was unsure why Marcus had followed her. It wasn't as though they had anything to talk about. In fact, he barely spoke to her besides saying hi.

Didn't he know how uncomfortable he was making her? And now, Chióni was looking for him. Maybe she found out about the little crush she has on him and was now about to reprimand him for it!

Covering her face with her hands, Kissa shook her head vigorously.

"I'm sorry Marcus, I have to go. Please head back to the Cove," she half whispered, half croaked before dashing away.

"No, wait!" Strong hands grabbed her wrists, twirling her to face him.

Standing face to face, Kissa saw the liquid bronze of his eyes up close for the first time. It was beautiful. Fearing that she was way out of his league, Kissa resisted the urge to trace a finger along the shape of his eyes.

But what happened next rendered her limbs jelly.

Soft lips had touched hers; fleetingly like a promised caress to her senses. Kissa barely had time to register his taste when he broke the kiss, eyes boring into hers.

"You'd better go. Chióni is looking for you."

Untangling her hand from his grip, Kissa pulled away and disappeared before he had a chance to catch up with her again.

Marcus was contemplating tracking her down when he sensed the cool crisp presence of the Snow-Water Ordinal.

"There you are."

"Chióni, how may I help?"

Marcus watched as the usually standoffish Ordinal relaxed a fraction, even giving him a warm smile.

"I think it's best if we discuss this in my quarters. It's not something that I'd like to broadcast in public."

Marcus was sure that she gave the nearby bush a quick glance before reaching out for his hand.

"It's important. Come."

Regardless of what he felt, Marcus had to accede to her request as she was a higher ranking Ordinal.

Chióni's quarters as it turned out was quite the opposite of the façade she often portrayed. There was warmth amidst the cold wood and steel frames of the salvaged ships. Crocheted pieces were strewn across furniture to create a very homely feel.

"Sit," she ordered. Marcus obliged.

"Is it about Angelo?" Better not be about Kissa.

"Oh no. This is about Lucian."

"Oh." Letting out a relieved sigh, he leaned back into his seat. "You finding him a nightmare?"

In more ways than one, thought Chióni.

"Well, you've worked with him before. You'd probably be able to answer that yourself."

She sure doesn't give anything up, huffed Marcus. No wonder those two are at loggerheads with each other.

"Of all the Ordinals, Lucian was the one closest in age to me. We were both adopted into the clan and I think that made us more like brothers than fellow Ordinals."

At Chióni's silence, he continued, "Neither Archangel Zilarrezko nor Archangel Aria has any problems with him, so I don't see why you should."

"How dare you."

Marcus held the Ordinal's gaze. There was no fire to her words and he knew he had hit a spot. Chióni sat slumped in her seat, her wings drooping slightly.

He couldn't blame her. She was all that was left of an empire that was the strongest and largest amongst all the clans. He admitted - it was remarkable for an Ordinal to single-handedly train an entire crew of young Angelings, mainly Aria's siblings and to also tutor existing Snow-Water Angels in the art of adaptability.

Well, at least that's what Kissa said. Marcus swore that the young Angel worshipped the floor that Chióni walked on.

"How's Kissa's training coming along?" he asked, hoping to elicit her usual cold snarls.

To his pleasure, it did.

"Keep your eyes off my trainee, Ordinal. You've got your hands full enough."

Chuckling, Marcus leaned back, clearly satisfied that she was slightly relaxed now.

"Well, look at it as two trainers comparing notes. I mean, Angelo is a prodigy I tell you. So I'm just wondering if it runs in the family."

"Well, she isn't Angelo that's for sure. It's her nature not to fight and no amount of prodding and poking is going to change that to be honest."

Curious, he leaned closer; fingers tapping on the table. "Not a fighter? A healer perhaps?"

Sky blue eyes snapped up to look into his. Chióni hadn't considered that. True, each Angel could, to a certain extent heal themselves... but what if Kissa was an Angel made only to heal? If she was on a balance scale, Kissa would represent the other extreme of an offence-capable Angel.

"I think you're on to something there, Metal Angel." A thoughtful pause. "Well, what do you know, this note-sharing thing is of some value after all."

A rare smile curled up on her face, mirroring that on Marcus.

"So tell me Marcus, what do you plan to do to get past me to claim your Angel?"

Immediately, his smile faded, replaced with a determined scowl. "I don't get what you mean."

"Sure you do." Another rare chuckle. "I'm going to let you off the hook for this afternoon but I won't make it that easy the next time."

Marcus was sure she was just pulling his leg but from what little he knew of Chióni, he wasn't going to take his chances. All bets are on.

"We'll see. I'm sure I can fly faster than you."

A smirk. "Then you'd better start mounting your wings."

***

Across the Atlantic, Archangel Zilarrezko was flexing his wing muscles in preparation for the long flight. Being tired was the last thing he wanted on his mind. He would rather bundle Aria up in his arms and hide in a hole together forever; away from everything and everyone.

It was a disease, Noor had warned.

Zilarrezko wasn't complaining. On his bed lay a small box bearing a special present - one that needed to be earned as part of his elemental trial.

12