Adopting Janie

Story Info
A single woman seeks to adopt despite the obstacles.
19.6k words
4.58
19.2k
9
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

CHAPTER 1

Drinking recklessly and becoming too loud, Russell Lawrence was spoiling the tone of the party and the hostess said kindly to Chase Lawrence, "Darling do you think you could ask Russell to moderate his behavior?"

"Yes of course Katie."

Chase went up to Russell who was sounding off about the inability of CEOs these days to stand up to board chairman. She waited until he finished and said, "Russell I want to go home."

"We'll go later," he said. "I'm enjoying myself."

"Russell please take me home."

"Frig off Chase," he said, pushing her away.

Chase fell quite heavily, not expecting to be pushed.

She was helped to her feet and she sat in the kitchen with Katie until she stopped shaking. Katie then called a cab and said, "I'll get Mike (her husband) and Lenny (her brother-in-law) to take Russell's car keys and then evict him. Russell is drunk and pugnacious. The walk home ought to sober him up."

Chase waited in the kitchen for her sterile husband. Russell had demanded Chase give up her career as a successful professional theater actress and sometime assistant director. He believed, because his mother had told him, that by not working Chase would increase her chances of becoming pregnant through having less stress and more rest and longer sleeps.

That didn't work and he bullied Chase into having a series of tests and then the medical specialist invited Russell to submit to tests. Russell had said sure, anything to help prove to Chase that she was the problem. However the tests proved emphatically that Russell was sterile. Before he went to sleep that night he apologized to Chase for putting her through that hassle when he was the one as fault because he was "firing blanks'.

At first Russell didn't want to talk about it and then he began joking about it and his behavior slowly changed. He began to drink more heavily and his manner, whether he was drunk or sober, became more aggressive.

Chase worried about this but he refused to seek help. Thinking back she thought what an asshole she'd been and recalled her mother saying when her daughter began dating Russell regularly that she could easily find a more gentlemanly man. Chase had been quite upset with her mother over that. God how dumb can you get, she sighed.

She groaned when she heard Russell yelling at her and then began banging at the locked back door. Chase had left the front door open for him and the outside light was on.

"Locking me out of my own home you bitch," he said slapping her across the mouth as she opened the door and he charged in.

"Humiliating me in front of my friends by having Katie get me chucked out of their home and her husband taking me car keys off me. You deserved to be whacked," he said.

Chase braced for another slap but he caught her by surprise and kneed her in the belly. She sank to the floor gasping for breath and in intense pain and was left lying there by her husband who went to bed.

Being only thirty-two and gym fit, Chase recovered quite quickly and made a mug of coffee and took it to the guest bedroom and locked the door.

Russell banged on the bedroom door in the morning and asked her to get up and get his breakfast.

"Get it yourself."

"Bitch."

And those few words were their last conversation.

Crossing the end of their street without halting at the stop sign, Russell drove straight in front of a loaded dump truck and his vehicle was partly flattened. He died at the scene, the truck driver suffering just a couple of bruises. The post-mortem established that the deceased had a blood alcohol count within the legal driving limit.

Chase had not wished her 40-year-old company accountant husband to die, and certainly not to die so horribly. But it saved her going through the trauma of divorce that she'd decided to initiate while drinking coffee late the previous night. She was now a wealthy widow or would be when the insurance monies and the payments from the firm where Russell had worked for the past twenty-six years, where in her bank account. She settled into being a grieving widow and reminded herself and talked about the good times she and Russell had enjoyed. There had been many although most occurred during their early years together.

The first romance (most other people would call it sex) that Chase had in months emerged after she engaged an investment consultant.

Pauline was a thoroughly charming and very beautiful redhead. On her second visit to Chase's home she'd accepted the late-afternoon invitation to stay on for a drink.

They exchanged personal information about themselves and Chase learned that Pauline was having a tough time with her husband.

"You mean he bullies you?"

"Well he's always done a bit of that but has never hit me. The problem is he has sex with other women, two of to my knowledge. I found him with one woman and the other woman, called me to apologize after she broke up with him. She wanted me to know what a nasty man he could be."

"My goodness. That would take some courage."

"Yes and I thought so too."

Chase and Pauline was sitting on the same sofa and Chase reached across and patted Pauline just above the knee and said supportively, "As I see it you have the choice of attempting to ignore it or confronting you husband about it."

"Yes I agree. Chase could you touch my leg again. It felt so delicious."

That ought to have warned Chase to back off but she was relaxed and in support mode and so she patted Pauline's thigh again.

"Oooh that's so lovely. Pull up my hem if you wish."

"Why?"

"To allow my to really feel the softness of your hand."

"But you are wearing stockings."

"They are thigh highs so move your hand higher up."

"Pauline I can't," Chase said, feeling embarrassed.

The consultant had trained to be persuasive to clients and to manipulate them if necessary.

"Is there something about me that scares you Chase?"

Chase was quite shocked. "No not at all."

"Then you won't mind if I kiss you?"

"You mean a sexy kiss?"

"What kind of kiss would you suggest Chase?"

"A... a friendship kiss."

"You mean like this," Pauline said. She moved over against Chase and placing an arm around Chase's shoulder drew Chase into her and kissed her lips softly and unhurriedly.

"How was that?" Pauline asked, pulling away but leaving her arm around Chase to control the limit of how far they could part. ""Now you kiss me."

Chase had thought that was a beautiful kiss. Now that she realized Pauline was up to she was not concerned. She'd had a couple of female liaisons at college and three years ago had taken part in a huge groupie at a party following the closing session of an all-female theater workshop where she'd been one of the presenters. Moreover Pauline already had her feeling sexy and her new friend was very attractive indeed.

One of the things Chase had liked about her relationship with Russell was it had been built around sex. She loved having sex and actually didn't mind if it became a little rough and the "I'm sated'' feeling as she staggered out to the bathroom ready for deep sleep after a pee and cleaning up had emerged as one of her great joys in life. But then as Russell had begun to allege she was infertile the clouds gathered over her joy.

To her astonishment Chase began picturing Pauline's inflated nipples and, oh, images of a swelling pussy began invading her mind and not without confusion. Sometimes it was a hairy vulva and sometimes a completely bald one and whether or not the images were of Pauline's vulva she had no idea but knew she was aroused and began to seriously think of working up to touch Pauline's pussy. She admired how adept Pauline was at seduction.

"Y-you mean touching b-bare thigh," Chase said, faking a stutter and swallowing hard to ensure her sofa companion noticed that=.

Oh my Pauline was good. She just smiled and brushed back Chase's blonde fringe and Chase did what was expected of her and lifted back the hem of Pauline's black skirt. The quality black stockings ended with pretty cerise lacy tops and the tan of the flesh just above that indicated that Pauline was no stranger to a sun bed or used artificial tanning methods.

Chase placed her hand softly on the upper thigh and just as she expected Pauline began stroking Chase's back and moaned a long oooooh and slowly parted her legs.

"Should I touch you higher?"

"Oooooh," Pauline moaned and opened her legs much wider and excitement raced through Chase when she saw the damp spot on the crotch of the white panties.

Pauline held Chase in that position and whispered, "Kiss me."

They kissed, opening their lips and with her head turned in an awkward position Chase was unable to see her hand. She knew what to do, however, and pushed her hand forward and touched, aiming at the wet spot she hoped, and bull's-eye! She heard Pauline suck in breath and then Pauline pulled the crotch of her high-cut panties aside and Chase whispered oooh and a finger eased into a well-lubed vagina.

"God I love you doing that to me," Pauline said, and that induced Chase to sink her tongue into Pauline's mouth. She eased it back out and they began tongue flicking each other and moaning and, yes, dribbling. Chase slipped in another finger, turned her hand and those fingers became very busy.

They were away.

Pauline turned out to be bi and had a regular boyfriend and through that social connection Chase was introduced to guys. She resumed being heterosexual and never had sex with Pauline again.

For a while Jack Lund, a divorcee, was immensely attractive to Chase but then she learned Jack was pleasuring another woman on nights when he wasn't with Chase. She said goodbye Jack, leaving the two-timer to figure out the reason for that abrupt severing of their wonderfully active relationship and probably reinforcing Jack's opinion that females were so unpredictable.

* * *

Three weeks after burying her husband Chase won a position as assistant director for a company producing TV advertising and drama on contract to TV networks and individual stations.

Within a month her talent was recognized and she was given her first advertisement to direct. The company specialized in producing 90 second or longer ads that 'told a story'.

A guy whose family owned seven supermarkets commissioned a one-off 60-second ad that would run twice each early evening for four weeks on the main TV stations servicing the areas where the supermarkets were located.

The brief said simply, "Promote our meat department."

The film studio's senior producer said to Chase, "You have talent and this is your big chance. You have a free hand to come up with something original but I'm afraid the budget is shit."

Chase correctly took that to mean the budget was near the low end of nothing. She was cycling along her street that evening when she saw a girl aged about seven with a fox terrier on a lead and the dog had a black patch around only one eye and looked so cute. She rode on smiling and that night when almost asleep jerked upright and shouted, "Omigod" probably without fear because there was no one beside her to awake.

Next evening she saw the little girl again with the dog and when she cycled back attempting to look inconspicuous and saw the girl and dog enter a property and a guy close the gate behind them.

The guy was almost inside when Chase reached the gate and called out, "Excuse me sir."

He turned and smiled and said, "Oh hi, the pretty young woman who cycles by most evenings. I thought you must live nearby. My name is Peter Barrett."

"Oh hi Peter. I'm Chase Martin." (She had returned to using her maiden name).

"Oh I've never particularly like Chase for a name for a person until now."

"Thanks," she smiled. "I'm making a commercial film, an advertisement actually for Crest Supermarkets."

Peter smiled and said, "How interesting. You look as if you'd have the talent to do that."

"Thank you. I noticed the young girl walking the dog yesterday..."

"Janie and Patch."

"Oh cute names. And I have a wonderful idea to create the minute-long advertisement around those two but of course I require authority and cooperation to achieve that ambition."

"Hmmm. I'm not sure. We'd have to discuss this. Would you like to do that now?"

"Oh Peter this must be approaching your dinner time."

"No problem. I decide what time I cook and who eats it. I'm divorced and am attempting to establish Janie here in this community. Actually with you living near here..."

"Yes along the other side of the street at number 43."

"Oh great, then Janie and Patch and I would appreciate having someone we know on this street. There are families on either side of us but they appear concerned there is no Mrs Barrett."

"Oh that's dreadful."

"It will thaw. As least the kids are talking through the fences."

"Well Janie and Patch are very welcome to visit me. I live alone. You can call and I'll stand out on the sidewalk and Janie will be able to see me from here."

"That is so kind. Well are you coming in for dinner?"

"Um I feel that would be an intrusion."

"That's nonsense, you are an invited guest," he smiled. "In you come."

Patch bounced over to Chase and she scratched under his collar and he liked that and then wandered off.

"Janie this is Miss Martin from along the street. We have seen her cycle by some nights."

"Hi," Janie said a little shyly and then, "You are very pretty."

"Why thanks Janie."

"Guys come into the kitchen and we can talk while I attend to our roast dinner."

Peter pulled out a chair for Chase and then looked astonished as Janie backed into Chase's legs and Chase pulled his daughter on to her knees and 'they both looked as that happened every day.

"You smell nice."

"It's a perfume called Eternity Janie. That name means forever but alas the perfume doesn't last."

"Daddy owns a pharmacy. He'll bring you as much Eternity as you want."

"Janie he won't have any need to do that and anyway different pharmacies stock different perfumes to avoid offering the same selection."

"Oh that's so sad."

"But hey Janie, we stock the Kelvin Klein range that includes Eternity," Peter chuckled.

"There I knew daddy would choose the right perfume," Janie said. "When I grow up I'll have Eternity."

* * *

The smartly dressed Peter and Janie wearing a new blue dress and Patch, already familiar with Chase's home arrived for dinner. Peter handed Chase a bottle of French Champagne.

"Oooh, we celebrate premiere evening in style," Chase said snatching a look at the wall clock and then adding, "You may kiss me if you wish."

It was their first kiss, watched by Janie, who'd made no comment. She'd already being hugged and kissed by the woman she now called Chase, having secured her father's approval.

Janie gave Patch his dinner and then joined the adults in the TV room.

"I've told the MacDonald's and the Bryant's that I'm on Channel 8 in an advertisement at about quarter past six tonight," Janie said.

"Who are those people?" Peter asked.

"The immediate neighbors' children on both sides of your home," Chase giggled. "I think it's time we did something to break the ice."

"How."

"I'll help you organize drinks for the neighbors say at 4:00 on a Saturday."

"But they might be otherwise engaged."

"You call Mrs Bryant and Mrs MacDonald and then arrange a mutually convenient date and time."

"But they might say no."

"Peter would you like me to arrange it for you?"

"Oh yes please. And the drinks and the food. Would a couple of hundred be enough money?"

"Half of that will be sufficient. It's just an icebreaker Peter. I've had hosting experience. I haven't told you this but I'm a widow. I was married six years and then my husband was killed in a vehicle accident."

"Omigod."

"Then that's why you are so experienced and know what mothers do and can tell daddy what to do."

"Perhaps so Janie but my husband and I didn't have children."

"Did you want children?"

"Yes."

"That's enough Janie," Peter said.

"No it's fine Peter but I guess Janie already knows what she wished to know."

"Yes daddy. See how Chase kinda knows everything."

"Darling can you say kind of rather than kinda?"

"Yes Chase. It's easy to do that. I'll try to remember."

* * *

The ad began with Janie dressed in a white t-shirt, blue jeans and white and blue sneakers and wearing a cute pink felt cap asking, do you sell meat?"

"Yes truckloads of it young lady, said the elderly stooped and skinny man at the doorway. He was wearing a jacket marked 'security'.

"Come on Patch, let's go to the meat department."

The camera shot on Patch's face indicated he was decidedly interested.

"Sorry young lady, animals are not allowed on food premises."

"But you guys claim your supermarket excels in customer service."

The guy rubbed his chin.

"Wait here Little Lady. We DO offer the best in service."

The screen was filled with the supermarket's logo and the slogan, "Best in Supermarket Service"

The next clearly unlikely shot showed six butchers wheeling meat out in glass cabinets.

Janie held up Patch and took him along the cabinets, starting from the left.

Halfway along the fourth cabinet his tail began waggling furiously.

"That's it, that one." Janie cried excitedly.

"And how much would ma'am require," asked the tubby, red-faced butcher. "Ten pounds, twenty pounds."

"Let me see. I have fifty cents to spend on meat."

The butcher rolled up his eyes and the skinny security guy said, "Pierre, we take pride in our service to customers seriously. Please return with 51 cents of that cut to one of our youngest and most valued clients. She will then shop here for her entire life."

"Perhaps," said the butcher darkly and called, "Get this meat back into the chiller guys. At least the little bitch is happy."

"The fox terrier is male sir," said a butchery assistant.

Janie and Chase who'd viewed the completed clip at the studio several times looked bemused at Peter, who was practically rolling on to the floor he was laughing so much.

"God this will become an advertising classic," he chortled.

"What does daddy mean?"

"Just the best ad in its class darling perhaps beyond this city as well."

"Well I thought it was pretty interesting and funny. Didn't we work hard to get it right?"

"Yes dear. And your check should arrive in the mail any day soon. What would you like to do with all that money?"

"Give it to you to be my mommy."

Chase, who'd just stood, sat down with a thump and Peter was staring at his daughter in alarm.

"Leave it Peter."

"Sorry."

"It's perfectly okay and so understandable."

Chase had thought about asking Peter and Janie to stay the night but now with his face set like that it didn't seem to be a good idea.

Janie was asleep in his arms as he was leaving and then Peter left Chase devastated when he said, "Thank you, we had a great evening. Um Chase I would be obliged if you had a little less to do with Janie. You influence over her appears to becoming too much for my liking."

Chase still had tears running down her face when she fell asleep, feeling she'd been abandoned.

Next day was Saturday and she had placed her home with a property management company to be managed and let as a fully furnished house and then packed her personal things and moved into a downtown hotel. She was required to work out only two weeks' notice and when that was completed moved to a larger city almost 500 miles away but not before visiting Peter's older sister.

Jennifer listened to what Chase had to say and sympathized with her but said Peter had lost Carol when she walked out on him and would now fear he was in the process of losing Janie to Chase.

"But I would have shared Janie with him, becoming his partner if that's what he wanted."