Adventures of the Cohort Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mikael nodded his head solemnly in agreement.

"So do I."

*****************************

Mikael was jolted to attention by the sound of cannon fire. He had been resting on the top deck, preparing himself for any fight that might be approaching. He stood up straight, alarmed, and looked around for his Sisters. They, too, were ready for battle, and Quintia and Melissa turned back to the group.

The ship was passing the final headland that opened into Bloodcove's harbour. The sea was turbulent, and Mikael could see great plumes of smoke rising above the island. From a distance they had seemed normal, but now that they were closer he realised how much thicker the smoke was than usual.

"That's not a good sign," he muttered, and Lucinda, still to his right, murmured in agreement.

The vessel slowed dramatically as Quintia dampened the winds. They could not go charging into this harbour were a fight in progress; it could lead to their untimely deaths. The water sloshed against the sides as the waves picked up. Mikael could feel a strong magical presence in the air, and the seas reflected the power ebbing through the world.

It was a scene of devastation as the ship rounded into the bay. Seven or eight large pirate ships lay beached, having crashed through the docks. Most of the ships that were already moored had been sunk to prevent escape, Mikael presumed, and fires belched soot into the dirty air.

Screams could be heard even from the harbour entrance, and Mikael could make out the scenes of battle on the shore. It was evident Black Theodore had arrived, and his ash slaves were locked in battle with the pirates who had been in the town.

"We need to act quickly," Kristine ordered hurriedly. "Those pirates might be a sterner test than anything Black Theodore has fought yet, but he will be victorious in the end. We need to stop him before he is."

She motioned to Quintia, who turned back to the front of the ship. Mikael felt a burst of magical power as the vessel lurched forwards again, and he was aware that Black Theodore knew of their presence.

"Black Theodore knows we're here," Mikael hissed to his Sisters. "He felt that spell."

"He knew we were here anyway," Lucinda returned. "He's not going to be stupid enough to not keep an eye on the harbour entrance."

Mikael groaned and turned back to the scene of the battle. As they drew closer he could see how vicious it was. The water at the bay ran red with the blood being spilled.

"What about the cannons?" Mikael asked nervously, suddenly aware that they were drawing into range.

Kristine smiled. "Pointed at the bay. Do not worry, we'll get there safely. The trouble will start when we land."

"Be prepared for the worst, Mikael," Lucinda said quietly. "We will be attacked by ash slave and corsair alike, and many of them will rise again in the service of the Lich. We will need to move quickly."

"What do we intend to do?" Mikael asked as Melissa and Ria'torr came over to join them.

"We need to find Black Theodore," Ria'torr said, her beautiful elven features creased with worry. "And we need to kill him and destroy his Reliquary. Only then will his power be banished."

Mikael unhooked his bow and slowly notched an arrow. "And where is he?"

"We'll have to find him," Lucinda smiled tightly. "But I'm sure he'll be easy to locate. Wherever the most killing can be found."

She, too, unhooked her bow as the ship hurtled towards shore. They moved quickly to the front of the vessel, standing on the edge of the deck as Quintia guided it inwards. The Lich's ships were empty, having already vomited their crew of ash slaves out into the town, and so the Cohort did not have to worry about ambush.

The ship slowed dramatically as Quintia ceased casting her spell. She stood back slightly, and the bow of the ship cruised forwards into the harbour. The Cohort stood firm as the front of the ship crashed into the wooden jetty with a loud crack, wood splintering as both the ship and the dock shattered beneath them.

The Cohort jumped down, immediately thick in the melee. Mikael loosed an arrow as he fell, and it thumped into the chest of an ash slave, the pale face that marked it out as not quite living twisting in rage as it fell. Lucinda fired off an arrow of her own and another foe collapsed.

They landed deftly, the drop not considerable, and were instantly on their feet. The docks were chaotic, and a brutal melee swirled around Mikael. His longswords screamed as they tore from their scabbards, and were instantly in motion. He hacked left, then right, fluid destruction crashing through the ash slaves.

Around him his Sisters fought, too, the glitter of metal and flash of magical energies cutting through pirates and ash slaves alike. Blood misted the air as wave after wave of the Lich's creations surrounded the Cohort, angered by their vicious assault. Mikael did not relent, his arms twirling as his swords danced. Brain and gore spattered across the still-fighting bodies of their brethren, and Mikael saw his Sisters begin to move away from the docks.

He followed, and they fought as a group, their enemies dropping like flies around them. The chaos actually worked to their advantage, too; Black Theodore had sensed Quintia's spell, and knew that a powerful group was in the town, but he had no way of finding them in such a dense melee. Magical energies flared all around them as minor spellcasters desperately protected their ships and homes from the Lich's ash slaves, disguising Quintia's own eldritch blasts.

At last they reached the main street, totally transformed in the violence. Where it had once stood filled with drunks and loud singing, it was now aflame, smoke billowing from the burning buildings and screams echoing in the air. Mikael watched as an ash slave cut down a plump woman as she ran from a tavern, only to watch her lifeless corpse dissolve then reform, pale and enslaved.

"Where are we going?" Mikael shouted over the noise of the battle. "How do we know Black Theodore is not at the docks?"

"Do you see him?" Kristine responded, turning to him. Her broadsword arced in front of her, decapitating two ash slaves. The pirate they had been fighting turned tail and ran.

"No," Mikael yelled back.

"Then we climb," she shouted, continuing to fight. Mikael followed as his Sisters slowly ascended the hill.

They came at last to the tavern where his Sisters had garnered information, blood running in rivers from the doorway, which had been wrenched open. Inside, Mikael could see a bloody melee, those pirates still alive fighting for their lives as their comrades rose up against them. They were doomed, and Mikael could only watch as they were cut down to reform as slaves of the Lich.

Quintia shot a bolt of fire through the doorway, and it detonated inside the tavern like a volcano. Heat washed outwards onto the street, and tall flames licked skywards. Everything inside was vaporised, the newly formed ash slaves immediately destroyed and their souls freed. Mikael turned to her, and she looked back at him with a faint snarl.

His swords flicked sideways as they repelled yet another attack, still climbing. He felt a tug on his armour and spun, sword raised, to find it clash against Lucinda's blade. She grinned at him, and tugged his armour again as his Sisters dashed down a side street. They were heading to the Hidden Diamond.

The street was much emptier than the main road, though it still had its fair share of enemies to face. They were no match for the six skilled combatants of the Cohort, however, and soon they faced the doorway to the lodge. Kristine opened it hurriedly, and stepped inside.

Where before Mikael had been surprised at how clean the tavern was compared to the dirty town, he was now positively shocked. It was pristine, and despite the chaos that reigned outside there were no discernable signs of trouble within it. That really was a powerful ward, Mikael thought as he shut the door.

"Hello?" Kristine called out into the empty hallway. The middle-aged woman appeared again, a smile on her face.

"Hello, dearie," she replied in a whimsical manner. "How can I help you?"

The paladin leaned forwards urgently. "Where is Black Theodore? We need to stop him."

"Black who? I don't know about this Theodore."

"Cut the shit, Margaret. You know damn well where he is; nothing goes on in this town without your knowledge."

"And what if I do know?" the woman growled, her face suddenly souring. "You think I'd tell you? I let you know where Black Theodore is and suddenly this tavern is back open to the real world. This place would be destroyed within minutes."

"That's a price you'll have to pay," Kristine retorted. "I'm sure you can escape; a mage of your power always has an exit. But if we don't stop Black Theodore then there won't be any need for this tavern at all. Bloodcove will be annihilated."

The woman regarded them coldly for a moment, the musical tone to her voice gone. Her lips twisted into a frown and she blinked slowly.

"You leave me no choice, I suppose," she sighed. "How can I compete with the Gods? He is further up the hill, although I do not know what he is doing. You'll find him in the warehouse with a legion of slaves."

Mikael felt an odd sensation pass through him, and suddenly the door began to creak.

"Take care, dearies," she smiled, her voice regaining its whimsical lilt. With a flash of bright light she disappeared, and with a crash the lodge started to crumble around them.

The Cohort dashed for the exit, forcing open the door and resuming the fight. More slaves had poured into the street now, the spells forcing them away dissipated by the archmage's escape. Mikael readied his swords once more.

"We have no time to fight a pitched battle," Ria'torr shouted to Mikael over the noise of the fighting. "We need to reach that warehouse."

*****************************

The warehouse loomed large in front of them as the Cohort neared it. A large, imposing wooden building with crumbling battlements, its numerous reinforced doors hanging open as ash slaves poured into it. Mikael could see the normally disparate pirates inside desperately fighting for their lives.

Fires raged all around, the screaming of wounded men growing louder as they neared the large building. Of course, Mikael realised. Most of the pirates will be at the warehouse! Protecting their precious goods from what they probably assumed were raiders.

They had to act quickly; it was clear that there were a great number of ash slaves here, and the pirates inside were densely packed. Were they to fall, the Lich's armies would be swelled sufficiently to conquer the rest of this town, and then move on to Florville.

"Where is Black Theodore?" Mikael shouted to his Sisters as they cut through the ranks of ash slaves.

"He will be inside," Lucinda called back, her sword slashing outwards and cutting her opponent in half. Her assumption was proved correct as a huge burst of magical energy flared outwards, spilling from the doors and incinerating both ash slaves and pirates who stood in its path.

Their progress grew slow as the hordes of enemies became more densely packed. Here, more than anywhere else, ash slave fought pirate in a brutal melee. There was little room to manoeuvre, and even less time to determine friend or foe. For every enemy Mikael cut down, two more rose up again to face him. The Lich was definitely near.

Mikael and his Sisters halted. The way was blocked and their original plan to force through one of the gates had failed. There were simply too many people in between them and the doorway, and the Gods only knew how many more on the inside. They needed to find a new way into the building.

"There!" Mikael called out, noticing a gaping hole in the roof, clearly caused by a titanic burst of magical energy. His Sisters glanced up and looked back at him. He could sense the agreement in their eyes; it was the only clear way into the building. They had to take it.

"How do we get up there?" Melissa yelled, striking an ash slave with a beam of holy power. It exploded into dust, and another stepped in to take its place.

Jump! Quintia's words flared in front of them, a minor distraction in the melee. They vanished almost as quickly as they appeared.

"What?" Mikael shouted, confused. "How?"

JUMP! The words erupted brightly. Mikael could sense the urgency, even though she could not speak. He jumped.

His body catapulted through the air, his Sisters with him. Yet they were not in control of their movements; they were not flying, and they hurtled towards the roof of the warehouse with frightening velocity.

Another flash of power from Quintia's hands slowed them dramatically. They landed lightly on the roof, and Mikael whirled to the Sensei. She smiled at him.

Mikael laughed, amazed at the ease of their passage. "Why didn't we do that before?"

Because now Black Theodore knows exactly where we are. We need to move.

"Agreed," Kristine said, gripping her broadsword tightly. She grinned. "Let's end this Lich's reign of terror."

Mikael glanced down through the gaping hole. Bodies thronged inside, the fighting compacted tightly into the rows between the treasures. Bounty lay sprawled across the floor and stacked into piles everywhere, any neat order destroyed by the vicious battle raging within.

Another magical flash caught Mikael's eye, and he turned just in time to duck out of the way. A ball of ice hurtled past his head and detonated behind him, shattering into a thousand razor-sharp shards. They clattered harmlessly into Mikael and his Sisters, Melissa's face intently focused on casting a protective spell. Beneath them, the remaining ice shards cut deep into the warring men, slicing through armour like paper. He stood and stared down into the warehouse, trying to locate the source of the spell.

There!

Black Theodore stood, staring at them with a wicked grin, his hands already charging with the power of another curse. He was set apart from his ash slaves, stood upon a large mountain of gold pieces, evidently watching over their progress and the swell of his armies.

Trust a pirate to stand on the gold, Mikael thought to himself.

The Lich was a hideous sight. He wore a long, black cloak that was spiked at the collar, revealing his rotted, putrefying head. Slimy flesh hung in great ribbons from his glistening skull, the pits of his eyes glowing red as he regarded those watching him. A large, obsidian sword hung by his waist, and myriad golden rings adorned his bony knuckles.

Mikael cried out, taking a running jump through the air and plunging through the opening. He fell through the warehouse, landing squarely at the base of the gold. Black Theodore's grin spread, and he fired a bolt of lightning at Mikael.

Mikael's reactions were enough, however, and he dived out of the way. The lightning smashed into a group of ash slaves, incinerating them, and Black Theodore snarled. Mikael's Sisters landed deftly around him.

Instantly they were swarmed by ash slaves, the Lich commanding them to attack with his will alone. Mikael's swords danced and his Sisters used their own skills to thwart the attacking drones, weapons glittering amongst the shining gold. He kept a wary eye on Black Theodore, stood atop the mountain of coins, and cried out as he saw another bolt of power arcing towards them. It hurtled towards Ria'torr, who could not dive out of the way, encircled as she was by enemies.

He watched in horror as the bolt raced towards her, and charged through the melee to reach the elf. Suddenly, the lightning bolt disappeared, a loud crack emanating through the air and sulphurous fumes pervading the battle. He looked up, and saw Quintia staring at him, before she turned to face Black Theodore.

His snarl grew wider, angered by the thwarting of his power by the blue-haired mage. Bolt after bolt of magical energy arced from his hands, and each time it was repelled by Quintia. Mikael continued to hack down the ash slaves all around him, and Ria'torr had composed herself once more.

Mikael carved a space for her, and she notched an arrow. Ash slaves poured inwards, but Mikael deflected their blows, protecting the elf as she took aim. She released the arrow, the bow singing, and it shot through the air towards the Lich.

It bounced harmlessly from his chest, and he turned to the elf with a raucous laugh.

"Shit," Ria'torr hissed, quickly notching another arrow and letting it fly. Again it bounced back from the Lich's armour and he laughed harder.

"You seek to destroy me?!" he shouted, manic glee suffusing his voice. "Impossible!"

Many of the pirates fighting wavered at the sound of his booming voice. It cut fear into the hearts of those in earshot. Mikael gritted his teeth.

"We have been sent by the Gods!" Kristine shouted, her eyes fierce and her lips twisted with rage. "You shall be destroyed!"

Black Theodore laughed again, more energy arcing from his hands. Again it was repelled by Quintia's power, and again he grew angry.

"Kill her!" he screeched, his ash slaves charging forth with no regard for their own safety. They swarmed Quintia, and she turned wildly, bursts of magic exploding from her. The attackers were halted as wave after wave of fire swept from her hands, but she could not both defend herself and prevent Black Theodore's spells.

Mikael whirled. I have to act quickly. Before Quintia runs out of time!

He glanced around, hacking down an ash slave as it thrust its sword towards him. Black Theodore was paying him no attention; he watched Quintia's desperate fight for survival with crazed joy. Mikael's other Sisters fared no better. They were alive, but they were being slowly overwhelmed. Kristine and Lucinda stood either side of Melissa, whose hands were glowing bright white. She was doing everything she could to keep her Sisters alive.

He saw something - a fallen pillar that lay hidden behind a large porcelain monument. It rested against a ledge on the wall, a ledge that in turn ran along past Black Theodore's head. If Mikael could only get onto that pillar, he could make it to the Lich.

He turned, slicing down an ash slave and charging towards another. It seemed somewhat surprised by his aggressive movement, and raised its swords to block his as they sliced down. Metal clashed upon metal, but Mikael saw his opportunity. The ash slave's chest was exposed, and he lifted his foot, kicking his heavy boot hard into the abdomen of the warrior. It flew backwards, straight into the statue, which shook with the force of the impact.

Mikael turned, another ash slave charging towards him. He ducked at the last possible minute, the slave staggering, and flipped it over. It, too, crashed into the monument, which slowly began to topple. Mikael leapt out of the way as it smashed by his feet, porcelain shards flying all around, the sound loud but not particularly noticeable in the brutal melee that raged on. Ash slaves were crushed at his feet, and the wooded frame inside the statue splintered, piercing the bodies of many more. Not solid porcelain then, Mikael smiled to himself. He jumped, spinning around and fending off the advancing blows of yet more opponents as he scaled the pillar.

He turned and ran, his footing secure on the slippery surface, and with a leap found himself on the ledge halfway up the warehouse's wall. He could see the entire scene of carnage here. Dead corsairs lay all around, and as Mikael watched they slowly climbed back to their feet, some making their way towards Black Theodore and the fight with his Sisters, others moving off into the town to kill yet more pirates. The sheer size of the Lich's horde was becoming clear.

1...7891011...13