After The Dead Gods Call

Story Info
When the dead gods call, it is time for a change.
1.8k words
3.75
4.9k
2
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The creature stood in the red sun light on ten segmented legs. It had many natures and for each nature it had a name. It was troubled often on who or what it was because it could not make up its mind as to what it was much less who.

Jagged cold mountains pierced a black sky. A faint red sun cast ill, evil lurking shadows across blue lit plains and valleys. Frightful ruins, built for unknown reasons, lay scattered across craggy foothills. Those who were before. The creature shuddered at the thought and feared and whimpered.

The ancients. Things unknown and unknowable. All powerful and wise they had ruled long ago. Who had they been? Why were they? Heaven and hell were theirs and now what? Dimly they were perceived by the creature and its people but could not be imagined beyond that. How could the creature hope for any better fate? Were the ancients gone or did they still rule. What would they do? What could they not do?

The ancients called. The gods called. THE GODS CALLED!

There was no choice. The gods could never be denied. They called. It chose its nature and stumbled forward, reluctant and terrified. It stepped down from a massive granite slab onto graveled plains. Zig zag structures towered all around. Bergs of dirty ice cowered and staggered. It could still retreat. It could still go. It could flee. It could change its nature. They called!

From the center of the frozen vast mountains that had been ripped from the world in some forgotten cataclysm, the dead gods demanded it to come. The ancient ones were very insistent and their strength grew with each inch forward it dragged its feet.

A lifeless vast frozen sea stretched to its left side. A cliff of frozen stuff from whence fish eyes stared and tentacle monstrosities lingered still. It cursed its fate. The wretched hills rose in front of it. It made a pathway where none existed as it struggled to do as the ancient ones required.

Ancient Gods let me go! Nothing is desired from you. Let go!

NO.

COME.

Artifacts. Odd shapes. Obscene and fascinating. Shattered and broken ages ago. Oh how the gods had fallen! Or had they? They crept inside it and tugged and tore.

Far above a twisted peak a bright red speck beckoned. It did not sparkle. There was no air except a faint trace of inert Nitrogen. Few lights showed in the sky. Very few indeed. Not much was left. The galactic core was still there but it was dim too. Straight lines of white and red could be seen as if something had sculpted the stars into patterns. To it this was the natural world and the design could not be perceived or suspected.

This was no longer the age of warm water seas or oxygen atmospheres. That had ended long ago. Green vegetation no longer existed. Other things of blue and purple but even these were scarce.

The red sun was a dwarf. It would outlast the blues and yellows of the youth of the universe. Its energy was low but sufficient for its life style. The ancients were from a time when the universe was far livelier. Now was a time of infinite slowness in comparison.

But the gods were dead!

A building, dark and hideous, rose with a dark dignity. Ghosts whispered within. Dark beings glowed. The gods were not quite gone it seemed.

No not in there! The honor is too much!

Still it was drawn. It entered the insubstantial structure seeing what could not be seen yet sensed. Something quickened. Images appeared in front of it. Horrifying objects in conversation and ceaseless constant turmoil. They moved bizarrely and quickly. Unseen light crept in and the building suddenly and abruptly blossomed in unimaginable colors and swirls of scents and tactile sensations. Warmth increased to a burning sensation. The gods were cold beings, they had to be. Yet in obscene heat they dwelled.

It screamed but failed because the gods did not wish it. The ancient gods still lived even in poverty. They called. The voices of the dead lived again in capitalized tones and extreme matter of factness. The gods spoke in a way that was not but yet was. They communicated directly and insistedly. They were quite clear but what the said or meant was another matter.

"I am the last man." Stern and authoritative.

"I am the last woman." Compassionate and forgiving.

Together. "The Viagendinium is no more. The galaxies are no longer connected. The universe is older and poorer. The Viagendinum is no more."

The woman spoke softly: "The multiverse continues. There is no loss and no change. Time does not exist. There is only experience and the kindness of growth."

A high pitched wail filled the halls. The walls rumbled and vibrated in sympathy. Infinite undying loss lingered yet it was filled with exotic and mysterious meanings. It stood and endured the assault. It had no choice. The dead gods did not care for its will or needs.

What do you want? What must be done? What is thy command?

The man nodded sadly. The woman smiled. The gods were so ugly but the power was so strong!

The woman touched it and a flow of divine love flooded it. Happiness bloomed yet tinged with sadness at what would come. "We are not real. We are not gods. We are not here. Never fear we will always be here but not here."

The man continued without a pause and its touch was so full of control and strength it threaten to overwhelm. "Mere words are inadequate. The Multiverse is too vast. We are images of what once was. A memorial to what was. We are dead."

It felt bewildered and yet filled with raw power. Emotions raged without direction.

"Consider us pictures that move. And talk." The man kindly stated.

The woman shrugged meekly towards her companion. "It is sad but the way is clear. We are here to help you. We are here to remind and state our tale of greatness and great woe."

It did not respond. It could not. It was too much. Its head hurt and strange thoughts bubbled and burbled.

"We are here to tell you a story. This is a memorial after all and that is what a memorial does."

She continued as her man occasionally nodded in sage agreement: "Ages ago we began." Images flickered of an exotic blue white world punctuated with weird green, blue and brown. A pyramid flashed by. Gods in odd colors and sizes. A woman holding a small god. A man with a massive sword slaying another god. "We were savage once. We were young once. We raped, we looted, we destroyed. Then we grew up and ravished, destroyed and loved. We has strange ways. That is the nature of free will. This was back when there was Time."

The man now talked and the woman smiled shyly holding his gaunt hand. "The stars were ours. We expanded without end." Pictures now displayed gods with odd shapes and colors even more than had been shown before. "We went into the Big Black and wracked. The star core fizzled. Worlds burned and were born again and again. Wars were fought, lost and won." Images flared of glowing shapes and bright objects. Then a large blackness of nothingness. Again and again endlessly it seemed. Four limbed gods posed in countless positions doing whatever they wanted. The gods were mighty. The gods were just and cold.

A frigid wind whistled in the dank hall that dripped actual water. It remembered and cried in sorrow and despair as well as great expectations. Ghosts wandered and gloated of the greatness that had been and would ever be.

"We met God, a pleasant fellow."

The woman gestured and sighed again: "We knew all. We knew nothing. The Universe reached a vast peace. The Empire of Man! The glory of the Viagendinium!

"Love filled the great void. 'nuff is 'nuff happened and passed. Those who remained were M'Lords and Ms'Lords of creation."

The man paused as his turn came around: "We are dead. We are gone. We will always be. There were good days. There were bad days. The Viagendinium descended into decadence. We were bored but some always remembered. Ages where death and sex were worshipped and interchanged in lieu of love, respect, honor, and duty. This was necessary."

A giant winged insectoid grasped a pretty woman by her narrow waist hanging her upside down. A long stinger paused over her ass and then plunged. She was ecstatic. She was terrified. She experienced what only a god could comprehend or want. The man smirked in unquiet misery.

"We are whole now and departed," the woman whispered in a voice soft and mellow. It stood, weary and uncertain. Comprehension could not exist. Gods were truly monstrous and beyond understanding.

Stars exploded. Speckled eggs hatched and devoured. Everything whirled in wild and abundant confusion.

Then only the man and woman (M'Lord and Ms' Lord) remained.

"And we are whole. The Viagendinium is gone. We do not exist. We are not here. We are what we are." A soft nauseous yellow color enveloped the gods. Shiny bright halos graced and crowned their hideous heads.

A quiet descended. What do you want? Mind slips away. There is a need to go!

"Who speaks?" Commanded the M'Lord.

I do!

The woman beamed. The man barely nodded. A great moment had occurred. "We want nothing. We are a memorial to a time long gone that never was nor could it be. We were once. We are no more. We never were." The woman now softly talked.

"We have departed. Nuff is nuff as was once said. We are whole and elsewhere. We are dead but not dead. We are gone but not gone." The Ms' Lord solemnly intoned. "We know what is true and have learned what must be learned."

"I am the last man."

"I am the last woman."

The darkness closed down. The wind ceased. The wail retreated. The warmth departed and left the good honest cold. The cold dead gods called no more. A void existed. A frigid hole in reality.

His nature changed again. Something had changed within him. A spirit had been ignited. The cold dead gods he knew still watched he knew. They would never leave him though the memorial would never be again. The gods always watched and would never interfere. That was not the way of deity.

Turning the creature stirred inside himself. I will need a name. His people needed him. The path that could not be seen glowed. It was all so confusing and frightening! Yet... The Viagendinium had survived and so would he and his people. So would I. I!!!

He would be Via. His mate would be Dinium.

The ruby red light covered him as he emerged from the building of the gods. The ruins had disappeared. If only the gods had not been so hot...it was better to be cold. The Great Cold Gods.