After the Fact Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Marcus tale these things and just look at them. This will give you that right, the opportunity not only to let her go but to really understand what you've lost. What we all have. She was more than a good time Mr. Dodson, I assure you that."

Marcus stood dumbfounded.

What Marta was asking him to do was too much. Too invasive.

But he knew he couldn't say no either.

He felt shock and guilt all at once, he knew Marta was right. He had felt something so close to grievance when he saw Lila's name in the paper but he couldn't let himself indulge in the emotion, he hadn't earned that place in her life. Maybe this would help.

Marcus walked over to the bed and lifted the box hesitantly.

Thank you didn't seem like an appropriate response to the task so he gave her a nod of understanding.

"Thank you Marcus." Marta said.

A quiet, emotional moment passed by before Marta spoke.

"Will you stay for dessert Marcus?"

Is she serious?

"I can't ma'am," He thought quickly, "I have to work early."

Marta looked at him with an eyebrow raised and he knew she didn't believe him; he was just praying she wouldn't call him on it.

"All right then, maybe next time."

With that the two walked downstairs to the front door where Marta gave him a hug goodbye and sent him on his was.

Once she had closed the door she turned to find Darren standing in the dining room doorway looking angry.

He had seen Lila's box.

"Why did you give him that?" Darren was fuming, "Those were Lila's things! They belong here!"

Marta was in no mood to argue.

"Hush Darren, he needs them more than we do."

"We don't even know him, he's probably lying about knowing her!"

"He wasn't lying, your sister knew that boy very well." Marta gave a lopsided smile.

"How?"

"Don't you worry about that. And stop putting your sister on some innocent virginal pedestal. She was a grown woman with a private life. She didn't tell you everything and she didn't have to! Beside what will we do with those things besides wallow in depression? Build a shrine? That's not what your sister would have wanted. You knew her well enough and you know good and well what Lila would say if she were her! "I love you, but you have to move on". It's doing nobody any good being angry and depressed." Marta was too exhausted to continue with him, "Now hush and finish the kitchen then go home to your wife and child. They haven't seen you in a week because you won't leave me alone!"

"I'm just trying to help you around the house Momma."

"I don't need your help! I can miss my daughter all on my own without you following me around with your bucket of tears! Lila's gone now, we both need to find a way to move on. Your way is at home with your family."

With that Marta walked off in the direction of her bedroom leaving Darren alone.

** ** ** ** **

Marcus pulled up to his house, parked the car in the driveway and sat for a moment.

He looked out the front window and thought back to his conversation with Marta.

Get to know her.

How the hell was he supposed to do that?

With this box of what was most likely just junk?! Knick knacks? Trinkets?

He shook is head and groaned inwardly.

He looked over at the box sitting in the passenger's seat.

Lila was sitting in the passenger's seat.

No...He wouldn't think that way. Those things weren't her, it was just...a box of stuff.

He pulled the keys out of the ignition and grabbed the box before heading inside.

As soon as he opened the door Stormy was jumping, happy to see him.

She normally would run over to her leash to signal she was ready for her evening walk but she noticed he had brought something new home and Stormy wanted a peek.

"No girl, down. It's not for you." Marcus said firmly as he placed the box on the kitchen table.

Marcus looked at the box one more time.

Whatever it was that he was supposed to do with it would have to wait until...well whenever he got to it.

Marcus turned and walked over to the mudroom and grabbed Stormy's lease and whistled for her.

Stormy ran to his side, excited about their nightly ritual.

"Ready sweetheart?"

Stormy whined her response.

He hooked the leash and opened the door.

Marcus looked back at the box once more.

He wanted so hard to pretend that it was just meaningless junk but deep down he sensed there were important things inside those cardboard walls.

Things he wasn't ready to see just yet.

12