Alex - The Novella

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Look at you two," Lin commented. "So sweet."

Alex looked a little sheepish. "Thanks, Auntie Lin. What do you have on the menu today?"

"Anything you want, I cook for you."

She turned to me. "How are you with spice?"

"Um..." Wussy. Terrible. Several negative words came to mind. "I can't take too much of it."

Lin nodded. "Okay, I bring you two something delicious but no spicy."

She carefully made her way back down the rickety steps.

"So." Alex palmed the bottle of wine and began the corkscrew process - which was good because her next question made my mouth completely dry. "How's work going?"

My conversation with Charm reared its ugly head. Does Alex know that you're leaving at the end of the month? You might want to speak with her about that... and think about what you want from your relationship. I tried not to wince outwardly. But this wasn't the time or place. I didn't want to ruin a lovely evening by being too forthcoming - or was I just avoiding hard decisions again?

"It's good," I said instead. "Same old, though. What about you? What have you been doing after JC?"

She handed me a glass of wine. "I'm taking a gap year to think about what I really want to study. I always assumed it would be English but it's not a marketable degree. Sorry," she added when she remembered I had an English degree.

I took a sip of my wine and waved her apology away. "Don't apologize. You're absolutely right. I remember being in such a panic in my final year at Sheffield. At the time, things with my mom hadn't been great and I was desperate to get a job to extend my visa... so I wouldn't have to go home and deal with that crap. As it turns out, though, English is not a niche skill that the UK job market looks out for." I shrugged.

"So how did you end up here?" she asked, leaning back in her chair casually. My eyes were again drawn to her prominent collarbones and how startlingly sexy they looked in the glow of the candlelight. I forced my eyes to flick back up to her face again.

"Well, there was a job fair thing at Sheffield. The reps from Singapore liked that I had a degree from the UK, plus they paid for teacher training. It seemed like a pretty good deal at the time for a fresh grad in complete panic."

She swirled the wine in her glass around. "But you don't think it's a good deal anymore?"

"Well," I edged, "It certainly is a good deal tonight. Here." I raised my glass, hoping to steer the conversation away from a precarious topic. "Here's to a lovely evening."

I noticed that she only took a light sip of her wine but I didn't comment. I assumed she was trying to stick to a two-drink limit and it was still early.

I sat back in my chair and sipped my wine, swirling the flavor around my tongue and feeling the slight burn of the alcohol in my throat. Alex watched me. Her eyes were intense, almost hungry. She held my gaze long enough for me to feel a flush creeping up my face and a spark of pleasure spiraling in my core. I bit my lip, trying in vain not to smudge the pink lipstick I'd so painstakingly applied. Her gaze dropped to my lips and then back up to my eyes. Her smile was... rakish.

I set my wineglass down, realizing a little too late that it was already half empty. I was a real lightweight with alcohol - always have been. Mom had once told me it was genetic but to be honest, she's a bit of a questionable source. I don't think she remembers most of her twenties.

I rose from the table, going over to stand by the concrete railing overlooking the neighborhood of colorful shophouses. I heard Alex's chair scrape backwards and then she was next to me, resting her elbows on the railing. Soft waves of her dark hair curled around her jawline and I had the urge to reach up and comb my hair through the tendrils.

I'd read somewhere that the principle behind attraction is mystery. The more mystery that surrounds the object of your desire, the more you want them. But chasing the mystery, that slow churn of desire, the unhurried ascent to fulfillment, is usually far more satisfying than taking something apart and ruining its magic. But as I cast a sidelong glance at Alex, despite my musings, I couldn't take my mind off the idea of unwrapping her mysteries. Or her unwrapping me. Or we could always unwrap each other. Quickly. Up here on this balcony...

Alex cleared her throat and I swallowed thickly, wondering if I should surreptitiously check the corners of my mouth for drool.

"You know," she said, her voice low. "You really shouldn't look at me like that."

"Like what?"

She leaned in close and her lips brushed against the shell of my ear. "You shouldn't look at me like all you want to do is push me back against this railing and slide your fingers down my jeans. Because," she pulled away again, "you're not gay, right?"

My breath had caught in my chest the moment she'd come so close. Although I felt a burst of heat of my cheeks, I couldn't breathe as I stared into her eyes. The smile on her lips was cheeky, playful, but her gaze fairly smoldered. My core answered with a delicious tightening.

Two years, I thought. Two years of fantasizing about this girl.

I reached out and grabbed a fistful of her blazer, pulling her towards me. She placed her hands lightly on my arms - to steady herself at first but then her hands curled around my flesh, holding me in place, her torso pressed up against mine. I swear I could feel how thin her tee was as I ran my fingers along the edges of her blazer, over her enticing collarbones and into the softness of her hair, slowly fingering the tendrils.

Her eyes were hooded as she watched me and I wondered briefly if she thought I was brazen for touching her so boldly - did anyone really use the word 'brazen' anymore? But I just couldn't help it. I didn't want to help it anymore. I loved the way her skin felt under my fingers and the delicious contrast between our skins stirred the already bubbling desire that threatened to overwhelm my senses. Kiss me, I thought desperately. Now, now, now.

She leaned in, her lips an inch away from mine. My breath caught again and I froze, kind of like bracing for impact. Her hands tightened on my arm as she hesitated, paused seconds away from pleasure. I could almost taste it.

"Alex..." I whispered.

"The table so nice and you two want to stand over there?" Auntie Lin's voice cut through the fog of desire that bogged us down. I stepped back, away from Alex's grasp, and felt air whoosh back into my body. Alex spoke to Lin as she deposited various dishes on the table but I heard nothing, fighting hard to get my body under control. Controlled, deep breaths. Controlled, deep breaths.

I wanted to fucking scream! But I plastered a smile on my face and turned instead.

"The food looks amazing," I said, and even to me, my voice sounded wooden and weird.

"I hope you like," Lin said, stepping back from the table to count off the dishes. "It's no so spicy."

"Thank you. I can't wait."

As Lin left, Alex turned to me again, "If you smile like that some more, your face might break."

I crossed my hands in front of my chest. I saw no reason to lie. "Well, I'm frustrated!"

She chuckled. She actually chuckled. I glared at her.

"Here." She topped up my glass. "Relax. We have all the time in the world, don't we?"

The glass paused halfway to my lips.

"Yeah, you're right," I croaked, and took a big swig.

Chapter Five

She was, without a doubt, the sexiest and most entertaining date I'd ever had. Gentlemanly, too, I added in my mind, remembering how she'd climbed down the stairs before I did so that she could offer me a hand down the steep, rickety deathtrap. Then, on the last step, she'd grasped my waist and lifted me down. That really got my heart racing.

I protested when she insisted on paying for both of us, but it was no use. She paid up anyway, making me mumble beneath my breath about stubborn females. We strolled to her bike, saying nothing, just reveling in the comfortable silence between us, taking in the raucous laughter of drunk patrons and the cacophony of different genres of music escaping the doors of various pubs.

Half an hour later, I found myself in a crowded new age pub, staring up at a trio on stage that looked odd and mismatched.

"Who are they?" I shouted over the music to Alex, who was in the process of trying to get the attention of the bartender for two beers.

She handed me a cold bottle of Tiger before answering. "They're rappers, and very good ones at that. They're on in a few. You'll see."

Alex leaned back against the bartop, resting her elbows on the wood. I was seated on a high stool, which put me almost at eye-level with her. My eyes roamed over the slender column of her neck to the small swells of her breasts, stopping at the point where her hipbones were visible through her thin tee. My throat was suddenly dry and I tilted the beer to my lips.

I looked up and blushed fiercely when I realized that Alex had been watching me the whole time. That rakish grin appeared on her face again and I felt my insides become goo in response. I didn't pull away when she leaned over.

"The view from up here ain't that bad neither, honey," she drawled in my ear with a distinct New Yorker accent - a pretty darn accurate one!

"Well, well. If it isn't my favorite girl," a distinctly Australian accent pierced through the thumping music.

We turned to find an older Indian man smiling down at us. A broad smile split Alex's lips before she threw her arms around him in a long bear hug. Even though he was caught in Alex's hug, the man's eyes never left me. He wagged his eyebrows and I gave him a mini-wave.

"Cady, this is Jack. He's a friend. And the best mentor I could ever ask for."

Jack shook my hand. "That's a very nice boost to my ego. It's nice to meet you, Cady. How do you like Echoes?"

Echoes was the name of the lounge / club we were in. "It's lovely, Jack. Is this your place?"

He nodded. "Yeah, it's my baby. I owned a bar in Sydney for years, but when my son moved here, I decided to be the tagalong dad." He shrugged. "It keeps me occupied at least."

Before he could say anymore, the lights lowered and the trio took center stage. Jack mouthed the word 'enjoy' before sliding behind the bar and handing me another beer.

The concert was a blur. Alex hadn't been wrong - the trio was good. They rapped, mostly, and the female singers in the background filled in the rhythm part. The concert lasted a little over an hour, and mid-way through it, people who'd been lounging before started dancing.

Needless to say, I joined Alex on the dance floor as well, and we became a part of the body of wriggling limbs. I wasn't a great dancer, but I could hold my own on the dance floor, especially when heels helped my posture. When I draped my arms over Alex's shoulder and moved against her, I could see the surprise in her eyes. But that didn't stop her from placing her hands on my hips and dancing with me. We attracted quite a lot of attention - not all good, but those who frowned did nothing about our public display of intimacy.

I was on my third bottle of beer and tipsy by the time Alex pulled me out the door of the club. She had stopped with only one, being the responsible driver. She put her arms around my shoulders as we walked to her bike.

"Is the night over?" I asked as we reached her bike. Looking around, I saw a trash can and disposed of the half-empty bottle of beer.

"Do you want it to be over?" Alex asked, withdrawing my helmet from the in-built storage unit. She'd stored hers behind the counter at the bar.

"Not really," I confessed as I took my helmet from her. She smiled.

"Right, then. Hop on. Let me take you somewhere."

I pressed myself to her tightly as she drove through the city. I recognized a couple of places we passed, but when she turned onto an unknown road, the mental map I had became useless. We zipped past an empty park, resorts and a row of houses before she stopped the bike around a corner. In front of us was a short walk that led to a long stretch of sand.

"The beach," I stated, somewhat surprised. Alex didn't seem like the type who'd bring a girl to the beach on the first date.

"Yeah. It's special," she said, getting off the bike after I did. "Come on. I'll show you my favorite spot."

She took my hand and led me across a quiet beach. I'd taken my heels off before I stepped on the sand, and tiny little pebbles of it squidged between my toes. When the wind blew, I stepped closer to Alex, pressing myself against her body heat.

And just like that, I felt the last of my reservation of being with her fade away. This rightness had never been present in my life before, and I wanted more of it, more of her. I lifted her hand and placed it over my shoulder, burrowing into the familiar smell of her cologne. I could swear that she smiled, even though I didn't look up to see it.

We came to a small clump of trees at one end of the beach, and she led me through it, up a slope, and to a cliff-like boulder. Below us, the water lapped at the rocks, and in front of us was the skyline of Malaysia. Alex seated herself with her legs hanging over the edge, and I followed suit. We sat in silence for a while, listening to the waves and the occasional coo of an owl. It was peaceful, so damn comfortable to sit with her, not talking, not doing anything but basking in each other's presence. I smiled to myself.

"I used to come here a lot when I was younger," Alex said, still staring out at the waves. I looked over at her, and her eyes had a far-away look in them, as though she was remembering a time that had passed. I scooted closer.

"I can see why you did," I remarked, just as softly as she'd spoken. "It's very peaceful."

"I made some very important decisions in my life here."

"Really? Like what?" I asked, looking down at where my bare feet were dangling about ten feet above the rocks.

"Like, what to do when your parents are dicks."

"Everyone's parents are dicks at some point, Alex. I happened to think my mom didn't come with a setting other than 'shrew'." I laughed to myself but her smile was sad.

"What?" I asked, nudging her with an elbow. "What's wrong?"

She shook her head. "Just lost in thought, I suppose."

I saw the pain in her eyes before she turned away to watch the waves swoosh onto the shore. I lifted a hand to her chin and turned her around to face me. "No matter what it is, Alex, you can talk to me about it. But not before you're good and ready."

"Thank you," she said. I smiled.

We sat in silence for a little while, enjoying the quiet and the feel of each other.

"I have a question," I piped up after a while.

"Anything," she responded with a shrug.

"Why me? I know you have your pick of girls. Don't deny it," I added when I felt her start to protest. "So why me?"

She looked into my eyes for an intense few seconds. "You know, the first time I looked at you, I saw this dolled-up, amazingly attractive woman who was so out of my league. My brilliant teacher, no less." I bumped shoulders with her. "I was so attracted to you, Cady. Then we talked, and there was something that pulled me to you, and I couldn't explain it, but it felt right. I knew you wouldn't date me if I'd asked you out while I was still in school, so I waited."

She shook her head. "All my friends took every opportunity to tell me how ridiculously stupid I was to pursue whatever I felt for you. But you know what? I had nothing to lose... except maybe a little bit of my ego."

I had to smile.

"Do you know what you want from this, Alex?" I asked, moving closer to rest my head on her shoulder again.

Pause. Then, "Yeah."

"Me, too."

"And what is that?" she asked, her breath ruffling my hair.

"You. I just want to be with you, and figure out what all this means." I couldn't have been more honest if my heart was being ripped open and checked for its contents.

Alex sighed, and I looked up at her, wondering if I'd been too honest. But she turned to me with a silly smile on her face.

"I must be dreaming," she said.

I rapped on her chest with a curled finger. "You're not."

"This is way too good to be real," she muttered, leaning close again. My fingers rose to her hair, brushing back the curly strands that fell on her forehead.

"Good things happen sometimes," I reminded her. She stared at me for a long while.

"Not to me."

It was one of those moments when time was suspended, and you could do nothing else but stare into someone else's eyes and queue the cheesy music.

"I've been waiting for this moment for so long," she murmured, her breath grazing my lips.

Her kiss was light. Unusual. Sensual. There was something about yearning for a firmer press of her lips on mine that seemed to sensitize every inch of skin of my body. Then she slanted her lips over mine and blocked all thought. I think I trembled. My hands found her cheek, cupping it as her tongue traced the soft curve of my lower lip. I sighed, trickles of pleasure running through my body as her fingers tangled in my hair, caressing my scalp.

I've been waiting for this moment for so long...

Her words echoed through my mind, and I pressed myself harder against her, my other hand coming up to rest lightly over her heart. She jerked at the touch, but didn't break the kiss. Her teeth nipped at my lip, and I felt her smile against me before her tongue dipped into my mouth.

To say that the friction was electric would be an understatement. I melted into a pool of incoherent thought as she tangled her tongue with mine, muddling my mind. Lick, retreat, lick, retreat. That was exactly how she drove me mad. And when she pulled back, I was breathless, needy, already edging towards her again.

She laughed softly at the look on my face.

"I still think I'm dreaming," she murmured. I lowered her head and pressed another kiss on her dreamy lips.

"You're not dreaming, Alex."

This time, it was she who trembled, and I basked in her pleasure.

She rested her forehead against mine when I pulled away. As we caught out breaths, head to head, nose to nose, she made little circles at the sides of my breasts, where her fingers had ended up. It was really distracting me from getting my breath back. In fact, it was driving the air out of my lungs. She pulled me closer to her side and I tucked my head in the crook of her neck. Her hand rested on my hip.

A gust of wind blew, and I shivered.

"It gets cold around here after midnight," Alex admitted. "We should go."

We indulged in one more kiss before rising from the ledge and trudging back to her bike. This time, when my hands went around her waist, I felt a spurt of possessiveness rush through me when she slid an arm around my neck.

I'm with Alex.

Alex!

Chapter Six

"So, um... thanks for tonight," I said, swinging down from the bike, undoing the helmet.

"Anytime," she replied, unstrapping her own.

The silence followed that was just a bit awkward. I didn't want this night to end. But... would she think I was too forward if I asked her to come up for coffee?

"I, um, I... Hmm." She grinned at my loss for words.

"I'll call you" was what she said, her voice still low and husky. I nodded and walked toward the lobby of the condo. Mid-way there, I turned back and walked briskly to her bike. Without stopping, I leaned forward and pressed a kiss to her startled lips, unable to hold back the longing that I felt upon separation.

"Do you, um, want to come up for, um, coffee?" I asked when we pulled apart. The look in her eyes told me that if we went up, she'd be having a little more than coffee. I didn't care.