All That Glitters Ch. 20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Mr. Sucre, we need someone who is not involved as immediate supervisor or implicated in this issue, as you are, to conduct an investigation. Advise me of your choice for investigating officer. This person must have completed the Assisting Officers Course to qualify. I do not want any of you speculating with another crew member about this situation. You will likely be asked to provide statements and I advise you to keep your own counsel until further notice. That includes the Sergeant in charge of the EVA chambers. Dismissed," Henadi finished.

Horst gave the Captain a salute and ordered Silverstri to follow as he headed back to their assigned quarters.

Koh-Tan Se-Lam Roe - Command Ship, The Emperor's Fleet Shem, Five Light Cycles from the Home Star

Jurte Kur-Han Kai-Ro stood naked on the command podium of his Koh-Tan, his flagship. Well, the Koh-Tan Se-Lam Roe ot Shem, the Koh-Tan of the Emperor Se-Lam Roe's fleet Shem. By the hand of the Emperor Se-Lam Roe himself, he Kur-Han, had been given command of this fleet and made Jurte, commander of all he could survey, effectively ruling in the Emperor's name.

He had the power of life and death over his many thousands of subjects, those within the Fleet Shem. He had the power of life and death over all that he surveyed, and he would put that power to use when they arrived back at the Home Star some five solar cycles in the future and destroyed the newest infestation there.

Once before, members of the Fleet Shem had destroyed an infestation of the Home Star. They had conquered the enemy and destroyed them, taking many thousands of their kind as Kirlen, to serve those who had conquered them. However, the aliens had not survived the trip back to the home world, all dying in the space between.

Kur-Han had seen the preserved bodies in the museums dedicated to the glory of the Followers of Kur-Tar. Those who dedicated their lives to glory in combat.

But today, Kur-Han stood on the podium naked, for a different reason. His Rai, Sha-Ret Sai-Rai, was coming into heat, and had chosen him to be the sire of her first brood.

The scent of her pheromones was all over Kur-Han. Everywhere he walked, he brought it with him. A Rai in heat sent out pheromones to entice would-be mates. The Rai may chose a mate, but that mate had to be able to defend himself, and his Rai, from the potential rivalries of other Ro.

Kur-Han was a formidable looking Ro. He stood in all his naked glory, dressed only in boots and his weapons belts, his formidable landt proudly erect. Ro went into ritual battle naked. He, Kur-Han, showed he was ready for battle, both physical battle and sexual battle. His presence was a statement to all who would challenge him, 'look and see what you would have to fight to gain your prize!'

Lesser Ro palled before his glory, but there were a few, a certain few, that would challenge him over the next few days. Standing here naked, was a reminder to those who would challenge him that he could and would defend himself and his Rai against all would-be challengers.

Then, the Speaker stepped forward, striking the deck with his staff of office, spoiling the mood for Kur-Han.

"What do you do, Kur-Han Kai-Ro, that you stand in challenge to those whom you command?" the Speaker asked in naked shame of his commander.

Kur-Han was furious. How dare this Speaker say such things to him, commander of this Koh-Tan, Commander of the Fleet Shem, Jurte of all he surveyed.

The Speaker could see the anger on his Jurte's face, he spoke before the Jurte did.

"You are the Jurte, and the commander of this fleet, yet you challenge your staff to combat! How many will you accept battle from? How many will you kill? How is this possible, Kur-Han Kai-Ro? How is it that you cannot see what you do?

"You claim that you can resist your Rai's scent, yet you stand in naked challenge to your own staff and show to all with your landt in eager readiness that you cannot! Is this the stance of one who is able to resist his Rai's scent? Of any Rai's scent?

"You claim that she is your Rai, that she has claimed you, that you stand apart until she is ready, yet you prepare for ritual combat and stand here to challenge all! It seems to me that you are unable to resist your Rai's charms, and uncertain of your place at her side," the Speaker finished.

"Have a care, Speaker," Kur-Han replied in a cold voice. "Your words place you at threat."

"What? Now you threaten a Speaker. I am a Speaker, Kur-Han. I have no name, surrendered for the power The Emperor, by his own hand, gave to me.

"The Emperor himself, does not threaten a Speaker, yet you, a mere Jurte make threat to a Speaker? The Emperor has decreed the Speaker as the ONLY person who can speak in his presence without being invited to do so. A speaker can speak on ANY subject, even those the Emperor does not want to hear.

"A Speaker speaks for those who cannot speak, who have no say, both the high and the low, the commander and the Kirlen. I speak in the present for the past and the future. I speak to remind those in command of their duties and the laws of the Kur-Tar-Shem, the way of Kur-Tar.

"Pull in your horn, Kur-Han, before it strikes the wrong person, and you do your reputation serious damage! Or make use of your Jur-Rai if one of them will take your horn within her to slack your lust," the speaker finished.

"I would not sully myself with a lesser Rai!" Kur-Han shouted.

"You claim to be in control, Kur-Han," Speaker returned, "yet with a single statement, you insult all of those who place their lives ahead of yours, your Jur-Rai!"

And with that, the Speaker once more struck the deck with his staff of office, turned, and walked away.

Kur-Han's hands immediately sought out his weapons. A Ro had turned his back on him, the Jurte! He had disrespected him in the presence of his staff! He had insulted his intelligence, and his ready landt. And yet, something at the back of Kur-Han's mind told him to stand down, not to take offence at this 'perceived' slight.

Suddenly, one of his Jur gave him a mask, a mask attached to an air-bottle. Kur-Han took the mask and applied it to his face. He pressed the button and sweet relief flushed his mind, gone with the disappearance of the overpowering sent of his Rai. Also gone was his erection, his landt now dropping limp between his legs.

With the return of his ability to think, sudden shame overtook him. He had come so close to killing the Speaker, a crime that would have seen him rift of his powers, of his command, of his very life. The Speaker was inviolate, immune to criticism from all, the only person who could speak to all, high and low. The Speaker had the authority to reprimand any but could only do so with his words. He was the Speaker, and from his mouth came wisdom and advice. Woe betide those who did not listen to a Speaker.

Kur-Han turned to look into the eyes of his Jur, his bodyguards. He bowed low to his Jur, not as a commander to his staff, but as a lesser Ro might to those on high.

"The Speaker was right. I did insult you with my words," he began. "You are all the lesser of my Rai," he stated firmly, "but that does not mean that you do not deserve your position here. You are my Jur, as much to protect me from those who would challenge me in my current state, as to protect those who would tempt my ire by saying the wrong things to me at this time. I must have better control over myself, until my Rai is ready."

Kur-Han gave the mask back to a startled Rai, who looked around at her fellow Jur. Kad-Say Kai-Rai, the leader of his Jur spoke for them all.

"We would offer ourselves to you in this time of your need, my Jurte," she began. "However, your Rai has ordered us not to."

The door to his private apartment snapped open and his Rai stood there, wearing not but a sheer gown, bereft of even her weapons belts. Her scent once again began to overpower him.

"If you wish to be Jurte in more than just name," she spoke to him. "Then you must command not only your subordinates and staff, but also yourself. This is your test, Kur-Han. Prove to me you are the Ro you claim to be. Prove to me I chose wisely.

"Come and put your uniform on, Kur-Han, your glory is for mine eyes alone," she finished with a purr.

A momentarily humbled Kur-Han nodded to his Jur and followed his Rai into the Jurte's apartments.

End of chapter twenty.

For those of you who have noted the confusion in the phrase Kur-Tar-Shem, Shem can alternately be used to say follower, or the way of. Ergo, Kur-Tar-Shem can say, 'Followers of Kur-Tar', or 'The way of Kur-Tar'.

The historical figure Kur-Tar is similar to Confucius of Chinese antiquity, in that he codified the laws and philosophy of the Piscium A Society, which is based on the ability to dominate and conquer your opponents in ritual combat.

Kur-Tar recognized that open warfare was detrimental to his society, so he set down the rules for the conquerors and the conquered, setting up the methodology of ritual combat to prevent open warfare and the destruction of society. Though internecine battles often still occur, large-scale open warfare no longer does. Most people rise in rank through ritual combat, though certain status (Kai, or Sai) could only be received in actual combat.

Prior to Kur-Tar, the Piscium A Society was rife with open wars causing the destruction of infrastructure and the death of hundreds of thousands. Kur-Tar ritualized combat, giving his people an outlet for their blood lust, and preventing the destruction of cities and needed infrastructure. Few are killed now in open combat. The vanquished, those who did not die in ritual combat, becoming instead Kirlen, those who serve the ones that conquered them. Not a slave, as the society does not have a term for slave, but a slave in all but name.

Ritual combat is an all or nothing event, the conqueror continuing his/her climb to prominence while the vanquished becomes Kirlen and serves the family of their conqueror till their death. However, the rules of the event are such that only one quarter of the population could actually seek ritual combat, only those who are dedicated to the warrior's way.

The shame of such a defeat meant that many choose to die during the ritual combat, this meant that approximately one sixteenth of the population actually became Kirlen.

Please rate and comment but remember to keep your comments respectful.

Thanks, bigtddybr