All That Glitters Ch. 22

Story Info
The Wanderer impresses its guests. A kidnapping.
18.3k words
4.84
14.5k
13

Part 24 of the 66 part series

Updated 04/10/2024
Created 02/15/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
bigtddybr
bigtddybr
1,104 Followers

The Wanderer impresses its guests. A kidnapping.

The Wanderer brings out the best and the worst in the super-rich community. Raymond and Liea learn the hard way about the cost of being rich. The fleet comes home.

© bigtddybr November 2020. This story cannot be transferred to any other site besides Literotica.com without the prior authorizations in writing from the author and bigtddybr must be credited for this work.

Discussion: Having watched the now famous series GoT, I am enamoured of the fact that the author killed off main characters that took so long to develop in the series. I wondered how I could do that as well without it seeming so obvious that it was part of the author's plot.

The solution I came upon was from the Dungeons and Dragons games, principally, throwing dice to determine the outcome of any given attack or defence. So, in all future battles, attacks, or defence scenarios, I will not know the outcome of a single incident as I work through it. The dice will randomly predict the results. I will then have to write around the outcome regardless of what it might be. Should be a true challenge to me as an author and possibly provide for some surprises for the readers.

Because of the amount of abbreviations, ship listings, and list of characters, in this story, I include a glossary that is now in a stand-alone chapter called 'All That Glitters: Notes'. Any and all information that you want or need to know about the series is included in Notes. It will be updated frequently simply by re-issuing the chapter to Literotica.

There is little attempt to explain the back story, so it is necessary to read previous chapters to fully understand where we are.

As before, I claim sole responsibility for the story line. This story is a fantasy, with no basis in reality. Any similarity that you may perceive to current events, people, or situations real or imaginary is completely unintended. Look no further than the story line for its intent and purpose.

A big shout out to SaddleRidder for all the help she has provided in editing. With her guidance, I'm making fewer and fewer errors, but she still finds them. If you find any errors still left in this chapter, they are mine.

Please rate and comment. But keep your comments respectful. If you rant and rave or are disrespectful in your commentary, it will be deleted.

'Nuff said...enjoy.

The Wanderer, Green's World, Harn System, Twenty Light Years from Terra

Liea sat at the comms unit in her stateroom, talking to the 3D images of Malihan Hospital's administrator Dr. Aurelie Pendame and Dr. Morina Holdar the teaching doctor who worked with both Heyya and Ayesha Seito.

"Ayesha Seito was one of my better candidates for medical doctor," Dr. Holdar told Liea. "She would likely have received her doctorates in a year's time, or less, if she had received sponsorship."

"Would you recommend her as a Nurse Practitioner?" Liea asked.

"No," Dr. Pendame stated emphatically. "I would not have done that a few days ago. That route leads to time spent away from study and work towards a doctorate. More often than not, the candidate winds up becoming too involved in community work and doesn't complete the doctorate until much later in life, if at all. While we do need Nurse Practitioners, we have a greater need for doctors."

"So your only objection would have been that the position of Nurse Practitioner would detract from her studies to become a doctor?" Liea asked.

"Yes," Dr. Pendame agreed. "However, situations change, and Seito's has changed most dramatically. She has fallen in love and left the hospital and her studies for her fiancé."

"Sean Murphy is a friend of mine," Liea giggled. "That he is engaged was a complete surprise to me.

"OK, here is the deal," Liea stated. "We will hire Ayesha Seito as a Nurse Practitioner for our ship, on the condition that she legitimately gains her certification. The Wanderer is here for the Centenary Celebrations. Will that be enough time for her to receive her certification?"

"We would like two to three weeks to complete the certification, which I am sure that Nurse Seito will be able to complete successfully," Dr. Holdar stated, matter-of-factly.

"Good," Liea replied. "In return, we will ensure that Nurse Seito continues her virtual studies toward her doctorates, and that she receives sponsorship at a teaching hospital when she is ready to do so."

"That is remarkably generous of you," Dr. Pendame replied, surprised.

"I am rich, ladies," Liea informed them. "I can afford to be generous when the mood takes me. We treat our crew like family and provide for their advancement through study. We can do no less for our friend's fiancée, especially if she becomes a member of the crew."

"Not that we are trying to sponge off your generosity," Dr. Pendame began, "but Nurse Saito's studies towards her doctorates have mostly been through this hospital. We know her, her records, her study cycles, and know our methodology best. I would suggest, strongly, that she return here for the final physical portion of her studies and her eventual certification."

"For a price, of course," Liea intoned loftily.

"Sponsoring a person for a medical doctorate does not come cheap," Dr. Pendame replied, equally loftily, "even if only for one year. But you did say you could afford it."

Liea laughed. "Alright, I'll do you one better. Send me a list of potential candidates for doctoral sponsorship who currently do not have a sponsor. If my partner and I don't personally sponsor them, I have equally wealthy friends who might be encouraged to do so."

"We have eight students that currently do not have sponsorship," Dr. Pendame informed her immediately. I assure you that all eight are suitable candidates capable of completing the program."

"Send me the information on your entire program, Aurelie," Liea said with a smile. "Let me know what you want to accomplish with your program. If we like what we see, then I am sure we can provide some assistance.

"We will be down on the planet tomorrow morning for the centenary commencement ceremonies. I'm sure we can make time to swing by the hospital." Liea said.

"Oh! I'll be at the ceremonies as well," Aurelie informed Liea. "My Great-Grandmother was on the first ship. I'm invited as a direct descendant. We'll meet up at the ceremonies and then I can guide you back here after for a tour of the hospital."

"I look forward to it," Liea smiled. "Until tomorrow, Aurelie."

Liea disconnected and turned to Henadi Noor and Raymond Clark who were sitting in her stateroom just out of the camera's view.

"What do you think?" Liea asked.

"I think that you two will be feted by the hospital as major sponsors," Noor said with a smile. "While I know you are rich, that kind of sponsorship is a continuous investment."

"Henadi is correct, Liea," Raymond declared. "But we can afford to set up a bursary system of several millions annually for the hospital. It will probably be one of many that receive sponsorship from us."

"Millions?" Henadi asked, surprised.

"Henadi, I could make donations for every teaching hospital in Union space, and not put a serious dent in the interest bearing returns I make on my capital each year," Liea told her gently.

Henadi could feel the hair rising on the back of neck. She knew her employers were rich, but...

"Henadi, it costs several million credits to run this ship annually," Raymond interjected, equally as softly. "A drop in the bucket to what we make in royalties and in interest on our capital. Our interest alone is in the billions, Henadi. We are not just rich; we are stinking rich."

"The Navy didn't pay for the refit of this ship, Henadi," Liea told her, "we did. The final cost was just over C600 million. We split that between us, but either of us could easily have paid the full cost if we had wanted to with no strain on our financial resources."

Henadi looked between the two. Raymond gave her a slight nod of his head, confirming what Liea had just stated.

"Members of the super rich families have some real money," Liea explained. "However, the family as a whole will only have perhaps ten billion in liquid assets at any time, usually considerably less. The remainder will be tied up in artworks, real estate, stocks, and various companies.

"We are the opposite, having substantial liquid assets that we are trying now to invest into various companies and businesses. Having this kind of money with no purpose does not do us any good and makes us a target. So we are working hard to make our money have purpose. Thus, our investments in Dr. Aruna's lab, Pallanders Shipyard, and other worthwhile businesses which, paradoxically, have made us even richer." Liea finished.

"The good thing about our liquidity, is that we have cash to invest in our friends, in this ship, and in worthwhile endeavors such as sponsoring medical doctors and I think we will sponsor the Nurse Practitioner program as well." Raymond told her. "It really is important to us to treat our friends right. We have been supported by friends and family all our lives; it is only right that we give back."

Henadi saw the look of determination on their faces. Now, she understood their purpose in helping Seito beyond just being a sound business investment.

"I guess it is important not to miss the opening ceremonies tomorrow then," Henadi told them. That got a big smile from the two of them. "Such a nice big bed," Henadi mentioned, giving Liea and Raymond significant looks as she stood to leave. "Shame it doesn't get used by more people."

"Oh, I'm sure it will see its fair share of use," Raymond said with a smile to Liea.

"Yeah, but his bed is bigger, and more comfortable with him in it," Liea quipped, getting a giggle of agreement from Henadi.

Malihan Regional Hospital, Green's World

A few days after the opening ceremonies for the centenary, Ayesha unexpectantly found herself back at the hospital she had just left, working hard to achieve her certification for Nurse Practitioner. She was very appreciative of the faith that Liea and Raymond had in her, and their support in her studies.

While she had been a nurse for some time and had been working to achieve her medical doctorates for five years now, she didn't really appreciate the scope of the duties of the Nurse Practitioner. The biggest thing she had to learn was the legal limitations of being a Nurse Practitioner vice a medical doctor.

Everywhere she went, she was duty bound to contact the nearest medical facility and determine the limits of her authority in the respective local. For the most part, the duties of the Nurse Practitioner were virtually the same, however, the scope of limitations basically fell on the drugs that she could prescribe without consulting a doctor.

The Wanderer's Navy Corpsman, could provide certain drugs in the conduct of his duties as a combat medical assistant, and the Navy could provided Ayesha with a wide spectrum of authority that civilian organizations would not. However, Ayesha was not navy. She was a civilian nurse, hired by the ship's owner.

Ayesha had been quite surprised to learn the true nature of the ship and had to sign a non-disclosure agreement that left her under the threat of losing her employment and potential imprisonment should she let it slip. Something that she did not want to do in view of the benefits she stood to gain from her employers, namely sponsorship in her pursuit of her medical degree. Her sole reservation was the lack of employment for Sean. He was a miner and the best he could do for the ship was as a hull rigger.

Ayesha was now back under the tender mercies of Dr. Holdar, who had been her instructor before her resignation only a few days earlier. She was receiving what amounted to a crash course in her duties, while having to follow Dr. Holdar around in her daily rounds of the medical wards, all towards gaining her certification.

The rounds were the only time of the day that Ayesha had any relief from the relentless pace, as Dr. Holdar had eight medical interns, and another half-dozen senior year medical students, following with her on her rounds, and she peppered all of them with questions on the various patients.

Otherwise, Ayesha was alone and being peppered with questions from the various doctors who were working with her. This certification course was meant to have ten to fifteen students on it, but Ayesha found herself the sole candidate. With twelve doctors, and one student, the pace of instruction was relentless. The constant barrage of questions on, diagnosis, differing options of care, choices of drugs to use and why, and procedures dictated by the situations and the limitations of her position.

Having studied for five years towards her medical degree while working as a nurse, Ayesha was used to the furious pace, and she could see the end of the tunnel, a few weeks into the future. But, from her current perspective, that few weeks seemed a long time in the future.

The one highlight of her day was the data that came from Sgt. Wiccan on PO1 Roust. She reviewed the data and provided her guidance to Sgt. Wiccan. Her review also included a number of 'what if' scenarios that covered as many contingencies as she could imagine on possible things that could go wrong. She would run these scenarios by the doctors evaluating her and give them her thoughts and possible options for care. They, in turn, provided possible scenario's that Ayesha had not thought of, though this was rare.

The hardest part though, was the dissertation she had to write on the Nurse Practitioner. She was grateful for her experiences as a nurse, as she had worked hand-in-hand with many NP's before. It gave her a leg up on the process. Otherwise, it would take her months, not weeks to work through her paper.

Dr. Holdar watch carefully as Ayesha went through her paces during the three weeks of her certification. While she personally said nothing directly to her student, she was impressed by Seito's work. Her 'what if' scenarios on her one and only patient aboard her new ship, were spot on. The staff was pushing Seito hard, but she was pleased with the responses from her protégé. Seito would be an excellent Nurse Practitioner, and would make a fine doctor, hopefully in the not too distant future.

IPPF HQ, Liramor City, Liramor Prime, Thirty Light Years from Terra

Chief Superintendent Maria Sanger, Director of Operations IPPF on Liramor Prime, looked up with suspicion when her administrative assistant, Special Agent Phillip Beausoleil, barged into her office without knocking.

"We've just got a major hit on the Dark Web," he blurted out, without preamble. "You're going to want to see this."

The pair stepped into the operations center and moved toward the area responsible for computer crime.

"What's happening?" Sanger demanded rather forcefully.

"This just came up from VSC," the woman sitting at the computer stated. "It's a hit from the Dark Web. The contract on Fiona Marsh and Henadi Noor has just been upped to one million credits, dead or alive.

"VSC has indicated that the contract looks to be coming from Terra, however, there are indications that his isn't the case. I've looked at the IPL address. It indicates it is from Terra, however, their seems to have been an attempt to alter the address. It actually originated on Anuura," she finished.

Sanger read the contract. It stated in simple language that one million credits would be awarded to whomever could bring in Henadi Noor, dead or alive, and one million credits would be awarded to whomever could bring in Fiona Marsh, dead or alive.

"Can we trace it back further?" Sanger asked.

"Not from here," Phillip told her. "We will have to direct IPPF on Anuura to look into it. We don't know the state of their computer capability."

"Get me Jean Scimate," she told him.

**************

Jean Scimate sat waiting in Sanger's outer office wondering why he had been asked to attend. A man he recognized as S.A. Phillip Beausoleil approached and asked him to come into the office.

"Sorry for the delay," Sanger said as she shook his hand. "We have had a major hit on the Marsh/Noor case, thanks to your organization. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to exploit it.

"The contract seems to have originated from Terra, but that is fictitious. It actually originated on Anuura. That creates a bit of a dilemma for us, as our counterpart on Anuura is not as large as we are. Their computer crime department is smaller and less savvy than we need them to be for this particular investigation.

"We would like to contract VSC to do some research on Anuura and find the source of this contract, if possible," Sanger finished.

"That shouldn't be an issue," Scimate replied. "We have a subsidiary of VSC on Anuura. We could slip in there in the guise of an inspection team, spend a couple of days and see what we can see.

"Our biggest issue is that we don't speak the local language. It might be difficult to work through the Dark Web there without the necessary language skills," he finished.

"The contract probably went to all Union planets," Beausoleil told them. "It will likely be in Standard so language skills might not be as big an issue. But I'm sure we can arrange someone to assist if needed."

"Agreed," Sanger answered. "We will contract a fast ship for your journey. We will give you one week on planet. You will have direct contact with local Director of Operations, C. Supt. Faarooq Burhan.

"You are to find what evidence you can on who issued this contract and provide that evidence to IPPF on Anuura along with how you determined that evidence. We want the IPPF to be the source of the evidence train on Anuura and not VSC. That is your official requirement, however, knowing your organisation, any additional information you can provide on the local Dark Web would be appreciated.

"Once you have completed your task, or one week has passed, you will return to Liramor Prime. A fast ship will be contracted for your return.

"The fast ship can easily hold twenty passengers, that should provide you with a large enough group to make an impressive inspection team," Sanger finished.

They would need the signature of the president of VSC, but Scimate was sure that he would jump on the chance to do an inspection on IPPF's tab.

The Wanderer, Green's World

The ship was hosting Karen Green and her younger brother Martin. They had been Raymond and Liea's host while on planet, and the duo was pleased to have them on board. Of course, they came with an entourage of hanger's on, so the ship was hosting forty guests, not an excessive number.

"It's such a beautiful ship," Karen Green mentioned to Raymond at the dinner in her and her brother's honour. She turned her eyes to Raymond, giving him a significant look. Karen was not married.

Raymond looked into those strange eyes. She had blue eyes that were best described as washed-out, giving them a pale, silvery-blue look with an obvious dark center. Other than the eyes, Karen was an arresting beauty. Tall and well formed, she would draw the eye of men, and women, wherever she went, and Raymond's eyes were drawn.

"Well the fitting out cost a small fortune, so it should reflect what we paid for it," Raymond told her.

"I believe it," Karen replied. "I have seen corporate and personal yachts of the great families with less fit and finish than this ship. Your taste in material and the colour scheme is impeccable."

"You can thank my partner, Liea, for that," Raymond said with evident pride, nodding toward Liea who was engaged in conversation with Martin and his girlfriend. "She is the brains behind the look. I got the crew together, all ex navy ratings, and I managed to attract Capt. Noor. Best decision I ever made."

bigtddybr
bigtddybr
1,104 Followers