All That Glitters - Notes

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Price, Kinder A female news reporter that is seen frequently on the 24hr news channel. First seen in chapter forty-two.

Pwrel, James PhD Pol.Sci. (Doctor in Political Sciences) - Director of Political News IPNS. First seen in chapter thirteen.

Salette, Sonya Director of news and entertainment for the IPNS Capital City branch, Terra, of IPNS. She helps the Piscium children with documenting their buildup to the summer of 2488 Charity Concert at Denders. First seen in chapter sixty-four.

Shultz, Claus Businessman, and general scoundrel who has his ear in everything of interest, selling information to all who want to buy it. He is well connected to criminals and the underworld. He was a secret Confederation sympathizer to the Confederation of Planets during the war and was discovered by Interplanetary News as such. They have since blackmailed him for information when needed, information that he always has conveniently at hand. First seen in chapter thirteen.

Termil, Mark Data specialist in Sonya Salette's IPNS Control Room in Capital City, Terra. He coordinates the various independent media personalities that work for IPNS in Capital City and works on the documentary of the first Charity Concert from Denders Resort in the summer of 2488. First seen in chapter sixty-four.

- Malton University

Malton University - is one of the largest and oldest universities in Capital City, Terra. It has been in operation for more than 350 years. The university has several Campuses all around Terra and has even a campus on Liramor-23.

- Liramor-23 Campus of Malton University Found on Mike Deck, the campus originally had eight professors each with their own specialty: sciences, health, math, communications, administration, literature, engineering, and technology.

List of Characters for Malton University:

Akopyan, Aghavni, Prof. D. Music. (Doctorate in Music) Friend of Prof. Xavier Kuaté. Xavier unsuccessfully tries to recruit Aghavni to join her at the Liramor-23 Campus. First seen in chapter forty-eight.

Atten, Marion, Prof. Dean of the Faculty of Music. She assess Junelliya's musical abilities in chapter fifty-two and provides her with instructions as Junelliya seeks out her doctorate in music. First seen but not named in chapter fifty-two, named in chapter fifty-seven.

Handel, Brice, Prof. PhD Lang (Doctorate in Languages) - Dean of Linguistics Department, Malton University. First seen in chapter sixteen.

Kuaté, Xavier, Prof. PhD Arts (Doctorate in the Arts) - member of the staff of the Liramor-23 Campus of Malton University. She instructs in literary arts and business writing techniques. She also works as a placement counsellor for the campus. Mid-fifties, smallish black woman of African descent, recently divorced and moved to Liramor-23 to avoid a persistently annoying ex. First seen in chapter twenty-eight.

Smeldt, Zilina, Prof. D. Comms (Doctorate in Communications) - Head of the LMC-23 Campus of Malton University. Home World: Terra. First seen in chapter sixteen.

Wiccans, Samantha, DF. PhD (PA) (Doctorate in Public Administration) - Dean of Faculty Malton University. First seen in chapter sixteen.

-Morgan High School

High school for the children of the elite, what is known today as a Prep School.

Adenomere, Michael Seventeen year old, youngest son of Jaar Adenomere, the patriarch of the senior branch of the Adenomere family and head of the Alliance Landstradt. Michael is in grade eleven, though not in the same class as Grace Holloway who is two years younger. First seen in chapter thirty-six.

Ferdon, George, Prin. Principal of Morgan High School. First mentioned in chapter fifty-one.

Halen, Amy, VPrin. Professor, Senior teacher, and Vice Principal at Morgan High School and Grace Holloway's home room teacher. Frist seen in chapter thirty-six.

Holloway, Grace Elizabeth Daughter of Wilford J. Holloway, the President of the Union fifteen when we first meet her during the President's Press Conference after the birth of Matilda Elizabeth Qan-Arl Roust-Polit in. Despite the comments to the contrary from some of her classmates, Grace has earned her way into the graduating class. She is not only intelligent; she can use that intelligence in ways that most cannot. She becomes the First seen in chapter thirty-one.

- Tatsuya Forge

Aoyama, Akiara The Master Polisher of Tatsuya Forge. She is responsible for polishing all the blades that Hajime and his apprentices make. First seen in chapter forty-eight.

Marston, Steven Computer expert who works at coding the laser etchers in the Tatsuya Forge. He is responsible for etching all of the artwork into the blades forges by Hajime and his apprentices. First seen in chapter forty-eight.

Tatsuya, Hajime Renowned Master Smith and weapons maker who makes traditional Japanese swords with new metallurgy that amalgamates traditional Japanese sword steel with new materials. The new metal will not rust, is stronger than traditional Japanese sword steel, but just as flexible. Tatsuya is renowned for the beauty of his swords, which can cost tens of thousands of credits each. His forge is named Tatsuya Forge. He made Kim's sword set and the Asoc's new >Curlat, a traditional weapon of the Asocans. The forge is first seen in chapter thirty-seven. Tatsuya Hajime is first named in chapter twenty-three.

Watanabe, Hansuke The Master Sharpener at Tatsuya Forge. He is responsible for sharpening every blade that Hajime and his apprentices create. First seen in chapter forty-eight.

- Presidential Compound

Canter, Jason Chief of Staff to the President of the Terran Union. He is responsible for preparing all of the president's speeches, organizing all of the presidential visits, and otherwise keeping the face of the President of the Union in the best possible light. His face is as well known as the president's. First seen in chapter twenty-three.

Cassey, John A team lead of one of the President's security teams. First seen in chapter fifty-two.

Drall, Alex, Gen. General (five stars) - Commander of the Union Marines. First seen in chapter sixteen.

Hollister, Mike D. Div (Doctor of Divinity), PBMDS-TU (Presidential Bronze Medal for Distinguished Service - Terran Union). Right wing religious zealot and Televangelist who helped to modify the content of the entertainment channels when Senator Wassim was trying to establish aliens as dangerous to the Union. He holds sway over millions of viewers from his TV ministry. His attempt to confront the aliens and the President does not go as planned and he loses face on more than one occasion. He turns his views around over the placement of the clutch of Drane Mutt Hoylle and Verned Mutt Shumett in the swamp at Denders, declaring first that aliens with intelligence have souls, and then that the placement was the correct thing to do to save the family. He is approached by the President's team to help prevent Terrans from discovering that the Union was actively aiding the Asocans during the event with Unaayel and receives the Presidential Bronze Medal for his service. First seen in chapter seventeen.

Holloway, Grace Elizabeth The only daughter of President Wilford J. Holloway still at home. Fourteen years old when we first meet her in 2485. She completes Highschool at age sixteen and decides to take a year away as her university classmates tended to consider her as too young to participate in many of their own pastimes. She then becomes the first ever Civilian Executive Assistant to Fiona Marsh in chapter forty-nine, supposedly for one year, and moves to Liramor-23 where she does university by correspondence courses from the Malton Campus at Liramor-23. She is first seen in chapter thirty-one.

Holloway, Wilford, J. President of the Terran Union. Two years into his first ten-year term in 2482 at the start of the series. Will seek re-election in 2490. Is sixty-two in 2482, 186cm tall, fit, brown hair going grey due to the duties of his office. He is a widower with one teenage daughter, Grace Holloway still at home. He eventually is dragooned into marrying his long-time love, Angelique Aubuchon by the Asoc >Catal Mutt Herrtt while he is at the mini-summit on AsocAR in chapter fifty-seven. First seen in chapter twenty-three. First referred to in chapter seven.

Logan, Daniel Head of Security for President Holloway. First seen in chapter twenty-three.

Montel, Heather Grace Holloway's personal bodyguard from the Presidential Security Team. She is young, only 22 but looks even younger so that she can go with Grace wherever without looking out of place. First named in chapter forty-nine.

Ramison, George, Adm. M. Admin, Admiral - Chief of the Navy. Fit, dark-haired but greying, brown eyes, and mid-sixties when the story starts in 2482 First seen in chapter seven.

Vertim, Brian, Gen. General (five stars) - Union Joint Chief of Staff. First seen in chapter sixteen.

- UDC HQ Union Diplomatic Corps Headquarters.

Amexian, Heather UDC rep who assists helps move the Byandi's star singer, Seeka, get to Denders during the Second Denders Summit. She is a part of Juanita Invierno's Consular team at the Johal Compound. First seen in chapter fifty.

Demoiné, Charles, Ambs. D. Pol Sci, UDC Ambassador-at-large - assigned to The Wanderer for first contact missions with alien species. In his late fifties when he is assigned to the ship in 2485. Home planet Nouvelle France. First seen in chapter twenty-six.

Flynet, Harold, Ambs. Terran Union Ambassador to New Hadria and the Alliance of Planets. A man in his late eighties, now entering the later stages of his employment with the Union Diplomatic Corps. First seen in chapter twenty-nine.

Halten, Michelle, Ambs. D. Pol Sci, Ambassador - in charge of the new embassy on Liramor-23. Originally from Terra. Sixty three at the time of her appointment in 2485. First seen in chapter twenty-six.

Invierno, Juanita UDC rep working at Denders Resort during the Interspecies Community visit during the Accreditations Ceremonies and in the Second Denders Summit. She becomes the first UDC Counsel at the new Johal Consulate. First seen in chapter thirty-seven.

Lapotnikov, Millenia, Ambs . Chargé d'affaires at the new embassy at Liramor-23 - responsible for non-diplomatic issues at Ministerial levels. 41 at the time of her appointment in 2485. Originally from Moscow, Terra. First seen in chapter twenty-six.

Lourdes, Cecilia, A/Mnst. Assistant Minister of Interspecies Affairs for the Greater Community. First seen in chapter thirty-six as Assistant Minister of Trade, becomes Assistance Minister of Interspecies Affairs in chapter fifty-one.

Preston, Mark Director of Finances for the UDC. First seen in chapter thirty-six.

Renders, Michael, Ambs D. Pol Sci, UDC Assistant Ambassador - assistant to Ambassador Charles Demoiné and responsible for first contact with alien species. Home planet Terra. A man in his late sixties when he is assigned to The Wanderer in 2485. First seen in chapter twenty-six.

Ronter, Charles, Mnst. Minister of Interspecies Affairs for the Greater Community. First seen in chapter twenty-seven as Minister of Foreign Affairs, assumes the role of Minister of Interspecies Affairs in chapter fifty-one.

Williams, Peter Mnst. Minister of Foreign Affairs and Head of the UDC Interplanetary Affairs for the Union. He replaces Charles Ronter in this role. First seen in chapter thirty-six as Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs, becomes the Minister of Foreign Affairs in chapter fifty-one.

- Stockholm, Scandinavia, Europe

Söder, Kapten Police Kapten and the person in command of the Polisstation Klarabergsviadukten in Stockholm, Scandinavia. He responds to the assault against Aruna Ohiraha and her guests during her investiture as a Nobel Prize Laureate. First seen in chapter twenty-two.

- TUSN COMMAND HQ, Terra - In the Presidential Compound.

Hannison, James, Adm. J.S.D., Admiral - JAG of the Navy. First seen in chapter seven.

Heist, Rolland, Adm. PhD Pol Sci, Admiral - Chief of Navy Intelligence. First seen in chapter seven.

Ramison, George, Adm. M. Admin, Admiral - Chief of the Navy. First seen in chapter seven.

Listren, Marsha, FAdm. D. Admin, Fleet Admiral - Chief of Navy Procurement. First seen in chapter forty-six.

Marsden, James, Capt. Captain (Navy), commander of the NS Franz Müller, Presidential Transport. First seen in chapter twenty-three.

Mehrotra, Ishanvi, Lt. Lieutenant (Navy), commander of NS Ora Evanest. First seen in chapter twenty-four.

-- NS FRANZ MÜLLER (Refit) (Designated Navy One when the president is aboard) the ship is named after the first ever President of the Historical Union of Planets, which preceded the Terran Union. Capt.(N) James Marsden commanding. The ship remains a Navy ship and thus is fully armed. First seen in chapter twenty-three.

Designated presidential carrier. Similar in size and construction to The Wanderer but is not a sister ship as she was originally built as a pocket battleship. She was repurposed at Pallanders-3.

Range: The ship is similar to the Wanderer and has the same capabilities with a 242ly jump range with the new Jump-grid technology. She has three sets of Marilon/Aruna Generators thus giving her a triple jump capacity of 726ly.

Speed: The ship is capable of reaching .92 C, can cruise continuously at .85C.

Length: 500m. Width: 300m.

Weapons: 2 x triple Mk-10 (improved) pulse cannon turrets on the Dorsal gun deck and 2 x twin gun Mk-10 (improved) pulse cannon turrets on the Ventral gun deck, 2 x twin Mk-48 (improved) pulse cannon turrets on the Lateral gun decks port and starboard, 4 x twin 50mm CIW rail gun turrets 2 x port and starboard. 6 x 380cm torpedo/missile tubes, 10 x 280cm tubes, and 12 x 150cm tubes in the bow; 8 x 150cm tubes aft. The ship is not meant to be a warship but has the capability to defend itself in any situation in order to protect the President.

Compliment: 200 ratings and officers. 160 Marines, 60 specialist presidential security team, 60 Presidential VIP staff, staterooms for 10 x Presidential support staff and 4 x diplomats. Space on board for 80 media in dormitory style accommodation. Total compliment: Ship has crew quarters for 700 but currently has 575 all ranks and civilians (including media).

List of characters on the NS Franz Müller

Holtspur, Gretta Chief Petty Officer One, a senior steward working on the Franz Müller. She interacts with the Piscium children during a Presidential party on the Franz Müller. First seen in chapter forty-four.

Marsden, James, Capt. Captain (Navy), commander of the NS Franz Müller, Presidential Transport. First seen in chapter twenty-three.

Logan, Daniel Head of Security for President Holloway. First seen in chapter twenty-three.

-- NS Ora Evanest AFS 10089 Valour Class Armed Fast Ship, Lt.(N) Ishanvi Mehrotra commanding. Personal transportation for Adm. Rolland Heist, Chief of Navy Intelligence. First seen in chapter twenty-four.

Range: Capable of 65ly jumps. New Marilon/Aruna generators means the ship can recharge within an hour. The new generators do not require a 'rest' so the ship can continue to jump every hour.

Speed: Capable of exceeding 1.30 C without jumping. Can cruise continuously at 95% C.

Length: 22m, Width: 8.5m. Three decks each roughly 2.8m in height.

Weapons: 1 x twin gun 50mm CIW rail gun turret in a smaller turret built in consideration of the aerodynamics of atmospheric flight necessary for the class. The turret holds 6,000 rds per gun in the turret and an additional 12,000 rds per gun in magazines located close to the turret for a maximum basic load of 36,000 rds. Each rail is capable of firing 12rds per second, or 24rds per second for both rails, which means the guns can be fired for a total of 25 minutes.

Compliment: Can be crewed by 10 ratings and officers, has quarters for 15.

Mehrotra, Ishanvi, Lt. Lieutenant (Navy), commander of NS Ora Evanest. First seen in chapter twenty-four.

109 Piscium Star System, 106 ly from Terra

- Liramor-23 Mining Platform, 109 Piscium System, 106 Light Years from Terra

-The asteroid belt in this system was a planet that was destroyed roughly 24,000 yrs ago. Despite the distances (40 year return time) and the fact that they do not have FTL drives, the original inhabitants of the Piscium system still entomb their revered dead in local cemeteries, last done 360 yrs ago.

Battles of Liramor-23 Liramor-23 has been attacked on three separate occasions by pirates:

First Battle of: The First Battle of Liramor-23 consisted of 14 pirate vessels that attacked the platform, all of which were severally damaged and had to be scrapped in location. The supply ships all had slaves on board, who were rescued by the Navy. See chapter seven.

Second Battle of: The Second Battle of Liramor-23 consisted of seventeen pirate vessels including eight warships and nine supply ships. All were captured or destroyed, however, the platform was severally damaged with much loss of life, as were many of the ships of the Piscium Defence Force. The Navy claimed three of the warships, three supply ships, and the Fleet Support Tender, as prize vessels, giving them all to the Piscium Defence Force after an extensive refit. See chapter seventeen.

Third Battle of: The Third Battle of Liramor-23 consisted of a single pirate vessel, The Pegasus Guardian, engaging the platform with nuclear weapons. This was an attempt by the captain to claim the 5,000,000 credit bounty on Fiona Marsh. The ship was engaged and the Captain and bridge crew killed by a torpedo. The ship then surrendered and was claimed as a prize ship by the Navy, given the name NS Pegasus and eventually given to the HD-115153 (Punarjanm) Defence Force after extensive refit, making it the second vessel in Cmdre. Dostier's command. See chapter twenty-four.

Piscium Alien Cemetery This cemetery contains the remains of the original inhabitants of the Piscium system. It has been in existence since before the destruction of the Piscium planet. The Pod-Drran still inter their revered dead in this cemetery despite the long flight return time (40 yrs at sub-light speeds) without FTL technology. It leads Raymond Clark to what is then called the Insectoid Station (later the Djinaëte), which is not too far away. First seen in the prologue.

Djinaëte Station The mining station constructed by the Djinaëte (originally called Insectoids by humans) and destroyed by the original inhabitants of the Piscium system. The station is three light minutes from Liramor-23 and is always referred to as 'the station' verses the platform in order to distinguish it from Liramor-23.