All That Glitters - Notes

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The station is more rectangular in construction from a distance but looks like a series of immense tubes stuck to each other the closer one gets to it. Other than the overall rectangular exterior look from a distance, there were almost no straight lines, everything being curves running into each other. Even the bay doors and hatches are circular, with a spiral shaped diaphragm that opened and closed in a circular pattern versus the two halves of rectangular bay doors on human stations/platforms. First seen in the prologue.

Liramor-23 The Liramor-23 Mining Platform was originally built in the later stages of the Terran Union War. For this reason, it was armed with four Mk-48 twin gun pulse cannon, two at the top of the platform and two at the bottom in turrets one above the other that can rotate 360˚, the upper turret can bring its guns to near 92˚ in elevation, the lower down to 38 ˚ (to avoid the outer edges of the platform). The Mk-48's were improved, which gave them the firepower of the standard Mk-30 pulse cannon, a substantial increase in capability.

The platform was built with one 150cm tube used to fire comms probes for sending messages back and forth to Liramor Prime and other locations. During the first battle of Liramor Prime, it was decided to increase the number of tubes and launch racks per tube. The platform now has six tubes and four launch racks per tube giving each tube a ready mix of twenty-four probes, missiles, or torpedoes.

The platform is mirrored so that everything above and below the central ring of ore ovens is identical. However, the deck numbers are all different, with twenty-six decks named alphabetically, from deck Alpha to deck Mike, above the central ring and deck November to deck Zulu, below the central ring, the central ring not being named, though the ore ovens are numbered one to eighteen, with a corresponding working cage for each oven.

The platform originally had accommodation for 12,000 miners, crew, and staff, but held just over 8,000 at the beginning of the story. An extension of 200m to the width and height of the platform will allow it to add an additional 12,000 personnel, however, the need to accommodate families, a UDC embassage, a commercial shopping concours, a university, and other sundries means that it will house a maximum of just shy of 21,000. As the platform relinquishes its duties as a mining platform, it will grow in size again and become a station dedicated to the Interspecies Community, being neutral ground (Ard Mheydeh) for the community.

The platform was 1,500m in length and 1,050m in width before the upgrade and 1,700m in length and 1,250m in width after the upgrade. There are 26 decks with 22 decks being 4m in height. After the second upgrade, it measured 2,000m in length and 1,550 meters in width. The second upgrade also included many modifications to make the station the ideal location to conduct the business of Interspecies Community.

There are 18 ore 'ovens' in the Ore Ring, which is at the mid-point of the platform. An ore oven is 404m in height, 300m in depth, and 69.4m in width each. The height is required for the continuous ore processing operations being conducted above the ovens prior to smelting the ore in the ovens. Each of the ore processing stages breaks the raw ore down from the surrounding useless rock and then pushes them into the ovens where they are smelted into the respective minerals and metals. An ore 'oven' actually can consist of up to four ovens in line that are designed to work at different temperatures in order to process different metals. Ore ovens in theory are dedicated to specific cages, however, some ore ovens are dedicated to specific types of metals, such as titanium, and will receive all the ore of such nature. After the second upgrade, these ovens were removed and given to the Liramor-31 Mining Platform, which took over the mining business from Liramor-23 in the Piscium system. The central ring, where the ore ovens were, was converted into extra space for large ship berths and maintenance bays, into the large pools required by some of the member races, and into the Political Arena for Interspecies Community Business.

There are 24 maintenance bays consisting of 12 bays above and below the Ore Ring. They maintenance decks are not lettered and are usually just referred to by their maintenance bay number i.e. Maintenance Bay 08 (MB-08). There are 16 bays 400m in height, 300m in depth, and 104.17m in width. The extra height in the bay allows for gantry cranes to work above the larger vessels. There are also 8 double width bays that are at 208.34m wide which allows for even the large Fairling Class Frigates to conduct repairs on the platform if needed. In the final conversion of the platform, the maintenance bays will be expanded to 210m in width, allowing Fairling Class ships to be maintained on the platform. This will allows ships up to 200m in width to enter standard bays.

There are 48 smaller Construction Bays, in two rows of 24 above and below the maintenance bays. Once again, they are usually referred to by their bay numbers i.e. Construction Bay 11 (CB-11). The construction bays are used for all manner of construction and maintenance purposes where the larger maintenance bays are not required. On other stations they are used to provide a location to build items, thus the name 'Construction' bays. These bays are currently underused on LMC-23. With several not being used, three are provided to the Piscium Scientific Investigation Team for their research needs.

The standard construction bay is 200m in height, 300m in length and 52m in width. There are 30 standard construction bays while the remaining 18 are of irregular sizes being smaller and larger in width and height and larger in width but not in height. Four of the construction bays (CB-1-CB-4) are now designated as VIP shuttle bays for smaller vessels such as the Princess Class or VIP shuttles and designated SB-01 to SB-04. They have passenger gangways built in so that the bay need not be pressurized in order for passengers to disembark. The new Gara-Hinn force field technology will allow the ships to enter and leave the bays without having to cycle the air, even in the large ship bays of the Maintenance Bays and the old Ore Oven Ring.

There is a large hospital from Hotel to Lima decks with the surgeries and trauma centers at or near the center of platform, in the most protected locations. There is no corresponding hospital in the lower half.

The station also boasts a large shopping concours that covers Juliet, Kilo and Lima decks with space for some 250 shops of various sizes. The large Food Court, on Lima Deck, has plasteel windows that allow the diners to see out into space. In the final conversion the Concours will be given two additional decks (India and Hotel) and be expanded to just over 600 shops.

The Interspecies Embassy for the individual races of the Greater Community also covers an area between Hotel Deck and Lima deck, not far from the Shopping Concours. It too will add two decks (India and Juliet). Several accommodations near the embassy are designated as guest rooms for non-human VIP's and embassy personnel in the new conversion.

- Anti-Slavery Task Force (ASTF)

A Navy Task Force dedicated to locating and eventually freeing the Union Civilians that have been taken as slaves by pirate attacks over the last twenty or so years. The Task Force was started after Philaman Phargas becomes an informer on slavery in the Alliance of Free Planets in chapter twenty-one in order to save his neck.

Technically under the control of then Cmdre. Fiona Marsh, it is actually being run by Fayad Piscium, Asst. Dir. of Liramor-23, and then Cdr. Franz Teal (later Capt.), Navy Intelligence.

While Cmdre. Marsh reports to FAdm. Charles Thenton at HQ Sector Forty-Two, she reports directly to Adm. Rolland Heist, Head of Navy Intelligence, for Anti-Slavery Task Force issues.

Hatten, Mark, Dr. D. Comms, TGA specialist in comms frequency that helps in the allocations of frequencies for the new Interplanetary Communications System. Temporarily assigned to the ASTF. First seen in chapter thirty-five.

Hentor, Ronald, Capt. A-335772-112 Captain (Navy) - member of the ASTF. Assigned to Liramor-23 during the planning phase of the rescue attempts to free Union Citizen Slaves from the Alliance of Free Planets. Former ship's Captain, has completed the Senior Flag Officers Course and is awaiting promotion to Commodore. First seen in Chapter thirty-two.

Heyya (Margrave), Dr., GME D. Med, GME (Grand Master Empath), MCV (Military Cross of Valour), DSCMS (Distinguished Service Cross for Medical Services), MMB (Medal of Military Bravery) - Dr. Heyya Margrave, Medical Doctor and head of the trauma unit on LMC-23. Is on the Task Force because the Marines trust her, a trust that was earned under fire during the Second Battle of Liramor-23. First seen in chapter two.

Maarter, Gullan A Harradi bodyguard at the Harradi Embassy on Liramor-23. He is responsible for protecting the Ambassador and the environs of the Embassy. First mentioned in chapter sixty-two.

Marsh, Fiona, FAdm., War Dragon PhD PA, Nominal head of the ASTF but she allows Fayad and Cdr. Teal to run the show, reporting to her for all command decisions. First seen in the prologue.

Mirren, May Anne, Dr. D. Med, D. Hosp Admin - CMO of LMC-23. She takes over as Hospital Administrator from Dr. Heyya who stepped in for Dr. Ronda, who collapsed from the pressure not long after the events of the Second Battle of Liramor-23. She is assigned to the Task Force after having taken over the CMO duties from Dr. Heyya. First seen in chapter thirty-one.

Moore, Abigale, Capt. MMT(S) (Master of Maritime Transport (Space)), MCV (Military Cross of Valour), COPM-L (Compagnon Ordre Planétaire du Mérite du Liramor), MB (Medal of Bravery), Captain (Civilian) - commanding PV The Valour II, Fiona Marsh's private yacht which is upgraded to be based on the Trine Class in Chapter forty-five. Home Planet Green's World. First seen in chapter sixteen.

Pengar, Sharyl A runner on the platform. She is assigned to assist the Asoc during her stay at Liramor-23. First seen in chapter forty-four.

Perron, Claude Head of Security on Liramor-23. First seen in chapter sixty-one.

Phargas, Philaman Slaver from New Carthage, New Hadria, one of six planets till involved in slavery. Recovered from the Pollard after its destruction, he suddenly decides to turn on his former company when it becomes apparent that his chances of survival could increase dramatically if he turns states evidence. First seen in chapter 21.

Piscium, Fayad Sai-Ro, Dragon, Dir. PGMDS-TU (Presidential Gold Medal for Distinguished Services - Terran Union with Bar), KMOA (Knight Member of the Order of the Alliance), OOPM-LP (Officièr Ordre Planétaire du Mérite du Liramor), CMM (Commander Military Merit) MB (Medal of Bravery with Bar) -Director of Operations Liramor-23, formerly of the House of Ouihya, having formed the new house of Piscium with his two brides. Initially a runner on LMC-23, he moved up to the position of Director of Operations of Liramor-23 when Fiona Marsh was made Commander of Sector Fifty-Nine and no longer had the time to devote to the platform. He rescues his two wives, one from slavery and one from a large shark. Has been in all three Battles for Liramor-23 but active in only two of them. Was dragooned by Navy Intelligence and the IPPF to contact Wassim Andjuran and become his 'man' on Liramor-23. Is also dragooned by Navy Intelligence for the Anti-Slavery campaign against the Alliance of Free Planets. Is involved in the rescue of Captain Henadi Noor and earns the title 'Sai-Ro' when he is involved with the rescue of the Kumar-Pair from an attempted Palace Coup where he protects his wife Junelliya using only his long knife. He is elevated to Asocan Dragon by the Asoc for his part in the Battle of the Swamps where he protected his wife and several members of the Asoc's people. First seen in chapter eight.

Rannit, Bandu A Harradi bodyguard at the Harradi Embassy on Liramor-23. He is responsible for protecting the Ambassador and the environs of the Embassy. First seen in chapter sixty-two.

Tan, Amelia, Capt. S-883535-992 Captain (Navy) - Senior Tactical Officer assigned to the Anti-Slavery Task Force at Liramor-23. Has completed the Senior Flag Officers Course and is awaiting promotion to Commodore. First seen in chapter thirty-two.

Teal, Franz, Capt. PGMDS-TU (Presidential Gold Medal for Distinguished Service to the Terran Union), CMM (Commander of Military Merit), Captain - Intelligence Officer specializing in Interrogations. Works from LMC-23 as the head of a Special Intelligence Investigations Team for the Anti-Slavery Task Force. He was promoted captain after the successful raid. Home world Neues Deutschland. First seen in chapter 21.

Whatt, Bouyé Alexander, Cmdre. F-171649-554 Commodore - Commander of the Piscium Defence Force. Former Captain of the NS Wimple, former support ship to the Piscium Scientific Investigation Team, ex slave who hates pirates and slavers. The storyline revolves around the exploits and discoveries of the science team. Lover to Fiona and Dostier. Home World: Uusi Suomi. First seen in chapter two.

- HQ Navy Sector Fifty-Nine

The headquarters of Sector Fifty-Nine, Vice Admiral Fiona Marsh Commanding, is currently co-located with The Piscium Defence Force Navy Control on Liramor-23. When Liramor-31 comes into the system, Commodore Whatt will relocate to that platform for the Piscium Defence Force.

Sector Fifty-Nine will have a fleet of over two hundred vessels, one hundred of which will be ships of the Greater Community that are dedicated to the Mutual Support Pact negotiated by the Union and the Greater Community.

List of Characters of Navy Sector Fifty-Nine :

Bouchelle, Lorain, Capt. Member of the Sector Fifty-Nine JAG office. Originally a part of the office of Vice Admiral Hittu Mirotomo Judge Advocate General of Sector Fifty-Two. Originally from Nouvelle France. First seen in chapter forty-six.

Degault, Hellene, Capt. MB, OMM, F-554772-243, Captain (Navy) - commanding PV The Wanderer. 48 when seen in 2486, originally from New France. 188cm, blond, fit, commanded a Whippet Class Escort ship for two years before being promoted and given command of The Wanderer. First seen in chapter thirty-three.

Doolan, George, PO1 Petty Officer who is assisting Command Chief Trimet in the instruction of the Asocan Midshipman course 2487 AS1. First seen in chapter fifty-four.

Fillertan, Jane, Capt. A-332457-231 Captain (Navy) - Civilian Liaison Officer to Liramor-23 (#8), former Aide-de-camp (#7) for Cmdre. Fiona Marsh. No relation to Capt. Harold Fillertan, Aide-de-camp to FAdm. Charles Thenton. First seen in chapter thirty-eight.

Korenna, Addyson, RAdm. PhD PA, CMM, Q-731663-44, Rear Admiral, Head of Procurement Sector Fifty-Nine. Newly promoted RAdm. for supply and posted to Sector Fifty-Nine, Elliya is blond, 188cm, and originates from New Anglia. First mentioned but not named in chapter fifty-three. First seen in chapter fifty-four.

Marsh, Fiona, FAdm., War Dragon PhD PA, MBA,. CCV (Civilian Cross of Valour), PGMDS-TU (Presidential Gold Medal for Distinguished Service - Terran Union with Bar), COPM-LP (Compagnon Ordre Planétaire du Mérite du Liramor), FAR (Friend of the Asocan Realm), CMM (Commander Military Merit with Bar), Medal of Bravery (MB), S-118938-117, War Dragon, Fleet Admiral - Commander Sector Fifty-Nine. Director of Operations Liramor-23 Mining Platform, has a Masters in Business Administration, and a Doctorate degree in Public Administration. Fleet Admiral commanding the newly formed Sector Fifty-Nine, which, for the moment, includes all of the Greater Community. She earns the right to be commissioned a Commodore substantive in the TUSN in chapter seven after defeating the pirate threat during the First Battle of Liramor-23. Owner of PV The Valour II. Made Asocan War Dragon in chapter fifty-eight. Promoted Fleet Admiral in chapter fifty-nine. Promoted Vice Admiral in chapter forty-five. Promoted Commodore equivalent in chapter seven. Home World: Liramor Prime. First seen in the prologue.

Moore, Abigale, Capt. MMT(S) (Master of Maritime Transport (Space)), MCV (Military Cross of Valour), COPM-L (Compagnon Ordre Planétaire du Mérite du Liramor), MB (Medal of Bravery), Captain (Civilian) - commanding PV The Valour II, Fiona Marsh's private yacht which is upgraded to be based on the Trine Class in Chapter forty-five. Home Planet Green's World. First seen in chapter sixteen.

Pétillante, Émilia, Capt. PhD PA, OMM, MMB, L-134251-223 Captain (Navy), Aide-de-camp to VAdm. Fiona Marsh. Home Planet Nouvelle France. First seen in chapter forty-five.

Trimet, Michel, CMCPO The Command Master Chief Petty Officer of Sector Fifty-Nine. First seen in chapter fifty-four.

List of Ships for Sector Fifty-Nine :

- NS Dewfall B114 Burgan Class (Refit) Battle Cruiser, Capt.(N) Henadi Noor commanding. Assigned Sector Fifty-Nine under Fiona Marsh in chapter forty-six. First seen in chapter four.

Range: Has upgraded to Jump-grid technology and is capable of a 260 light year jumps. It can string three jumps for a total of a 780 light year triple jump capacity. New Marilon/Aruna generators means the ship can recharge within an hour. The new generators do not require a 'rest' so the ship can continue to jump 780 ly every hour.

Speed: Larger vessel that takes much time to get to speed. Is capable of max speed of .90C. Sustained cruise speed is .85C.

Length: 700m, Width: 400m.

Weapons: 4 x quad gun (improved) Mk-10 pulse cannon on the Dorsal Gun Deck paired one behind the other. 4 x triple gun (improved) Mk-20 pulse cannon on the Ventral Gun Deck paired one behind the other. 4 x twin gun twin gun 50mm CIW rail gun turret with 12,000 rds per gun in the turret and an additional 48,000 rds in magazines located close to each turret, 2 x port and starboard on the lateral lines. 8 x 380cm torpedo/missile tubes, 12 x 280cm tubes, 22 x 150cm tubes in the bow. 12 x 150cm tubes aft.

Compliment: 483 Navy personnel all ranks plus a regiment of 2,600 Marines for a total of 3,083. Often used by FAdm. Thenton as a flag ship, and by VAdm Hittu, JAG of Sector Forty-Two to conduct major trials on location.

-- NS Miles Medent AFS 10451 Valour II Class Armed Fast Ship (VIP Escort) attached to NS Dewfall as one of four transports/escorts. Based on The Trine Class Fast Ship. First seen in chapter fifty-six.

Range: Capable of a 190 ly jump but can string three jumps for a total of a 570 light year capacity. New Marilon/Aruna generators means the ship can recharge within an hour. The new generators do not require a 'rest' so the ship can continue to jump 570 ly every hour.

Speed: Capable of exceeding 1.30 C without jumping. Can cruise continuously at 95% C.

Length: 32m, Width: 10.5m. Three decks each roughly 3.37m in height to accommodate the taller members of the Interspecies Community.

Weapons: 1 x twin gun 50mm CIW rail gun turret in a smaller turret built in consideration of the aerodynamics of atmospheric flight necessary for the class. The turret holds 6,000 rds per gun in the turret and an additional 12,000 rds per gun in magazines located close to the turret for a maximum basic load of 36,000 rds. Each rail is capable of firing 12rds per second, or 24rds per second for both rails, which means the guns can be fired for a total of 25 minutes.

1...34567...56