Along Came A Spider Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"In political news," Bettina went on, "a scheduled debate between District Attorney Gil Krasney and challenger Jenna Stiles was postponed by mutual agreement. It will be rescheduled for later in July or early August. Mr. Krasney leads in the polls by a 50-46 margin.

"In the Governor's race, it was a devastating blow to SBI Director Jack Lewis when the Fraternal Order of Police endorsed Governor Val Jared. The State Police Chief's Organization has postponed making an endorsement, but the State Sheriff's Society has strongly endorsed Governor Jared. Polls remain 48-40, with an increasing number of likely voters choosing to wait and hear more before making their decisions..."

"Any idea why Jenna agreed to postpone the debate?" I asked Cindy as we went to my office after the morning coffee klatch.

"She didn't." Cindy said. "Krasney postponed it, said it was due to an increasingly heavy workload. He even told the Press that 'Commander Troy is too good at catching criminals; it gives us a lot of extra work to do'. Jenna wanted to raise a stink about it, but Bettina told her 'off the record' that the Press was not going to cover it, and would cast her complaints in a bad light."

"Good grief." I said. We sat down in our respective chairs in my office, me behind my desk of course, Cindy on the sofa (of course). "Okay, Captain, I am going to meet with the FBI today at the Federal Building. I may have to leave Town for some days after that, so you'll be in charge. Don't let the power go to your head, and keep the Chief and Commander Harlow well informed of what's going on."

"And don't let them be surprised by the Media." said Cindy. "Your number one rule, of course."

"Make it so, Number One." I replied.

"What about Scott Peterson in Public Relations?" Cindy asked. "I know Della's his boss, but you're the one he's afraid of."

"No, he's afraid of the Chief right now." I said. "Peterson better thank whatever he considers holy that Moynahan and not Griswold is Chief... Chief Griswold would've barbecued him alive."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I went into the FBI's well-hidden offices on the third floor of the Federal Building on the north side of Courthouse Square. Jack Muscone was there waiting for me, telling the cute receptionist that he'd take me into the conference room. And it was the conference room in the 'cube', designed to prevent any bugging or listening-in attempts. The DepDirector was waiting for us.

"Glad to see you, Commander." said the DepDirector, extending his hand. I shook it firmly. "I haven't seen you since you put me in my place at the Hospital."

"The interviews there went a long way in helping me solve the case." I said.

"So they did." said the DepDirector, peering at me. He had us sit down, Jack to my left as usual. Then he did a surprising thing... he sat down himself.

Keeping his voice quiet, the DepDirector said "I suspect you know a lot more than you've been officially told about what's going on in Apple Grove, and it's county... what's the name of that county?

"Fillmore County, sir." I said. "Named after President Millard Fillmore, 13th President of the United States, and last to not be a Democrat or Republican. Very exciting kind of guy, sir."

"I see your sense of sarcasm has not been lost." said the DepDirector, making Muscone chuckle. "I didn't even know there was a President Fillmore. Anyway, Fillmore County is about to get a lot more exciting. But it's getting ugly, too."

He continued: "Sheriff Spaulding has really clamped down over there. The whole county is in fear of him. Several blacks have been murdered or disappeared. But worse... in the last two weeks, two families in Apple Grove were attacked. The wives were raped in front of their husbands and the husbands beaten, and in one of the cases in front of their children."

The DepDirector leaned forward, lowering his voice as he said "One of those couples, the one without the children, were FBI informants. They've been working for us, giving us information on what's been going on up there."

"What about the other family?" I asked.

"We don't know what happened there." the DepDirector said. "They were not informants of ours. They lived only three houses down on the same street, though."

"Hmmm," I said, "I wonder if the perps had an idea that one of the two families were working with you, so they just attacked both of them."

"400 years ago..." Jack Muscone said. The DepDirector nodded. Jack continued: "We pulled our people out before someone decided to finish the job and kill them. But we have other assets up there. By the way, what do you know of the town of Springer?"

"It's in the northwest corner of the county." I said. "They're cut off from the rest of the county by a ridgeline and a river, and they don't consider themselves to be really part of the county. I heard they tried to have the State Legislature redraw the county lines so they could be in the county north of Fillmore County."

"Generally true." said the DepDirector. "They also recently drew a proverbial line in the sand and said that any blacks from Providence Springs that come to Springer would be arrested and sent to the Sheriff and the County Jail... and that pretty much means death for the arrested black person. They further said they did not want anyone from Apple Grove or Rome to be coming over, either."

"Yeah, someone might spot an FBI Special Agent in the area." I said. "Can't have that, now can you?" The DepDirector and Muscone just looked at each other.

"How much do you know?" asked the DepDirector.

"A lot." I said, leaning back in my chair. "Do you two have money on this?" Muscone grinned; yes, they had money on it.

I began: "There has been gunrunning going on in and around my County. And while my sister and the Consultant of Crime both wanted to help themselves to some of that weaponry, the main reason for going around my County is because you do not want the ol' Iron Crowbar to know what's going on. What is going on is that two separate groups are smuggling arms into Fillmore County. One of those groups is Superior Bloodlines, the other is the Federal Government... not really sure which agency, but it's the Government at work."

I continued: "I can only surmise that the white supremacists would like to start a race war by attacking and killing a lot of black people in Providence Springs. Now I don't know if that's to just clear the county of blacks, or if it's meant to get to the Media and so start a chain reaction. Whoever thought this one up... 'Helter Skelter'' and Manson ain't got nothing on them."

I finished up: "I would say that Hamilton Phillips of Grove & Partners, P.C. is heavily involved in this, as will be the bank president, the Sheriff, maybe a Developer or Real Estate type... they'll want to seize the land left by the dead in Providence Springs. So what assets do you have up there? HUMINT-wise, that is?" 'HUMINT' meant 'human intelligence', or people on the ground collecting and distributing information... you know, spies.

"Well, we had that couple," said the DepDirector, "we have a couple of people embedded in Providence Springs. You remember Special Agent Julius Jefferson?" I nodded and he said "He's been up there a lot. Comes in out of the west, so he can get to Providence Springs without having to go through Apple Grove."

"Tell me this." I said. "Why you don't just call up the National Guard."

"We can't." said the DepDirector. "The Governor of that State is very hostile to us, and won't allow the State to bring up the Guard. There's also Posse comitatus issues. We could federalize the Guard, but that would just tip off the white supremacists, so they'd just lay low and we're just sitting there with our pants around our knees... and burning through Federal tax dollars."

"Like that's ever stopped Congress." I said. "But I digress. So the white supremacists are going to come up against Providence Springs, and you're going to try to stop them."

"Yes." said the DepDirector. "And it's worse than you might realize... their plan is to kill everyone in Providence Springs, literally. They intend to leave no black person alive within the county borders by the next morning."

"So..." I said, "why bring me here?"

"Special Agent Muscone here convinced me to." said the DepDirector. "He said leaving you out of the loop was acting in bad faith, and after what happened at the hospital... and your wife having a pretty strong conversation with me herself... I realized that it would be better to tell you. But I don't want you trying to barge in there and save the world. This is going to take an operation much, much bigger."

Don't laugh, I thought to myself, don't laugh, don't laugh, don't laugh...

"All right." I said. "So now you've told me, but expect me to do nothing."

"Well," said Muscone, "if you have any contacts in that county that could help us..."

"I don't." I said. "I burned those on my last trip up there. And I'm also known up there, as well as having grown up there. When do you think this is going to happen?"

"That is why we're talking with you now." said the DepDirector. "We think it's going to be soon... this month. And with you about to shut the legal trap on your Consultant's fingers, he might just time things to, shall we say, 'coincide' with the breakout of hostilities, and make his escape."

"But he's not behind this thing with Apple Grove, is he?" I asked. "Oh, why am I asking... no, he's not... but he's the ultimate Consultant, so he's advising them, through Nathan Bedford and Henry Boxman, Lawrence Kendrick, and Perry Richards..." I went into a reverie.

When I came out, I asked "Yes, he is the Spider at the center of every Web of crime. So, is there anything else?"

"No, unless you have something you can give us." said the DepDirector.

"Well," I said, getting up as the Agents also stood, "it's what you need to give Agent Muscone, Mr. Director. Pay the man, he won the bet."

"How in the...." the DepDirector started as Muscone laughed. Then the DepDirector got out his wallet and handed over a $100 bill.. and a $50 bill. "The fifty is that you knew who won the bet."

"Thank you, sir." said Muscone. "My policy of never, ever betting against the Iron Crowbar is paying off."

"Uh huh." said the DepDirector, not very amused. "We'll be talking with you again, Commander."

Part 4 - The Black Beauty

When I got back to Police Headquarters, I called Cindy into my office. When she got there, I pulled out the bug-killer and turned it on.

"Cindy," I said, "can you call your father and tell him I asked if the 'Black Beauty' is ready?"

"You guys aren't getting into drugs, are you?" Cindy asked. I just shook my head.

"Okay, I'll make the call..." Cindy said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 2:00pm, Cindy and I were headed south in my Police SUV. We were wearing civilian clothes, and I'd told the Chief we might not be back for the day.

Upon arriving at 'The Vision' World Headquarters, we were met by a number of young persons, all wearing black slacks, the women wearing blue shirts and the young men red shirts, all with the 'The Vision' logo. They seemed very happy to see us.

"Must be 'Happy Juice in the Prune Juice Day' here." I whispered to Cindy as we got out of the car.

"Stoppit." she replied. We allowed the acolytes to guide us into the building. I expected that young Tommy would take us up to Dr. Eckhart's office, but to my surprise the man himself was right there in the lobby to greet us."

"Ah, my dear," P. Harvey Eckhart said as he hugged his daughter Cindy, "it is always so good to see you." He then gave me a warm hug, which I returned after getting over the surprise. "And you, young Donald, you're looking very well. All that training for the Police Boxing Matches has paid off... and in more ways than one."

"Uhhh." Cindy groaned. "Don't remind me." Eckhart put his arm around her.

"Ah, my dear," he said, "it's in our losses that we find the strength and the keys to our victories. Come, both of you. I know why you have come. Let's show you both that, now."

We went to the left, past the rooms where 'evaluations' took place, and on around. We went through a set of double doors that led to offices and to seminar theatre rooms. At the end, I could see out the window, seeing the dorm buildings in the distance, and the River off to the right.

"Ah, just step in here," said Eckhart," and we shall go down into the garage areas." We got on an elevator. Eckhart put his hand on a lighted panel and the door shut. The elevator began going down.

"Biometric hand reader." I said. "Cool stuff."

"Yes, and both of your handprints will be read most favorably, as mine is." said Eckhart.

The elevator stopped. I thought it would stop at a garage on a lower floor, as the first floor entrance is actually an above floor as the ground slopes downward on the left side of the building. But instead, we were in a darkish tunnel.

"Ah, young Donald, and dear Cindy," said Eckhart, "this is one of the secrets I need to show you both. This tunnel goes towards the dorms. It can be blocked off in several places. Another tunnel running parallel to it is the one we used to escape when that despicable Mr. Wargrave tried to have you brainwashed by my methods."

"His brain does not need washing, Father." Cindy said. Eckhart chuckled.

"No, indeed." he said. "Here, come this way." We went down the tunnel for a distance, maybe 50 yards, then turned left and down another tunnel. At the door, the reader accepted Harvey's handprint. The door opened, and we walked into a long, multi-car garage.

"The access doors lead to a tunnel that goes to the surface. One of those garage doors is really to this location." said Eckhart. "I have three such garages here; it's one reason you don't see so many cars in our parking lots."

"You're not afraid of flooding?" I asked.

"Oh dear me, no." said Eckhart. "The Headquarters building and the dorms are built on 1000-year and 500-year flood plains, respectively. And these tunnels are built well, and very low... like the New York City subways, but without the leaks." I nodded.

Eckhart then took us down to the far end of the garage, where two beaming acolytes were waiting for us. Beside them was a very old model car, but in flawless shape, the dark green paint gleaming.

"It's all ready to go sir." said one of them. "Good afternoon, Commander, Captain."

"Hi guys." Cindy said. "Wow, is this what I think it is? 1965 Chrysler Imperial Crown?"

"Yes ma'am." said one of the young men. "Well, assembled from various junkyard parts."

"Wow!" Cindy said, "but what's it..." she looked over at me. "...for?"

"Yes." I said. "Cue 'Flight of the Bumblebee' music, Kato." Eckhart laughed.

"Gentlemen," he said, "show the Iron Hornet and his Kato their new car."

Cindy was stunned as the guys talked: "The tires are heavy-duty, to handle extra weight. All of the panels, and especially the door panels and around the gas tank, have layers of kevlar in them. All the glass is bulletproof... well, don't subject it to sustained M60 fire, but it should hold for most pistols and rifles... and here's our baby..."

He'd raised the hood. I whistled. "That's a million dollar motor!" I exclaimed.

"Yes, young Donald." said Eckhart. "Race car quality, can outrun most cars. And then there's the nitrous boost if you really need it. I wouldn't drag race it, though... way too much power. This is for chasing down people, or running from them as your case may be." The acolytes spent a few minutes showing us the engine and telling us of its capabilities. Cindy was enthralled, and I was appreciative.

"As you can see," Eckhart continued, "the outer headlights are green tinted. Actually, they're not lights. Show them, boys!" The 'boys' took off a panel on each side of the massive power plant. Underneath were small Gatling guns, one on each side."

"Plenty of firepower to the front." I said, realizing the green 'headlights' would move aside and the bullets would fire. There were several hundred rounds under the guns, ready to be fired.

"In the back," said Eckhart, "we have the old caltrops release." Caltrops are like little jacks in the game of jacks, but have all spike rays coming out from the central sphere. These could cut up the tires of a pursuer. "Sorry, but I couldn't manage to fit in a backward-firing machine gun, nor any missiles. You are not James Bond, my young friend."

"Tell that to all the women he sleeps with." said Cindy. Eckhart laughed out loud as a red crowbar was waved in her general direction.

"This is fantastic." I said. "Thanks, Uncle Harvey."

"He asked you to build this, Father?" Cindy queried.

"He said he was inspired by your Green Hornet and Kato talk." said Eckhart. "And I hope this green-painted Black Beauty will be of service to you."

"It will." I said. "I'm very grateful. But I do suspect... that you had as much fun building this as your two young friends, there." Eckhart grinned.

"Oh, indeed I did, young Donald." said Eckhart. "And I just might have driven it at a speed that some would consider... unsafe." I just grinned, remembering how fast and carelessly Eckhart drove motorcycles.

Cindy was behind the steering wheel, learning about the sonar and radar devices (not great, but could be useful if taken out of the car and set up), the infrared reader, the powerful radios, shortwave and regular, how to fire the machine guns.

"Okay, it's time to take her out, young Donald!" said Eckhart. As I went over to the driver's side door, Cindy was vigorously shaking her head.

"No." she said. "I'm Kato, I'm the chauffeur, I'm driving." I just smiled and relented, and went and got into the shotgun seat.

"Atomic power to battery, turbine to speed." I said, remembering the old Adam West/Burt Ward 'Batman' show.

"Roger, ready to move out." Cindy replied. She gunned it, and the car moved out of the door that was opening. She drove unerringly up the tunnel, which curved around. We then had to stop at what seemed like a wall, but I realized it was an elevator. Cindy pressed her finger to a biometric glass circle, like an iPhone fingerprint reader, and the elevator took the car up. Once up, a garage door opened and we drove out into the parking lot.

For the next half hour, Cindy drove at high rates of speed along back roads and two-lane roads in Coltrane County. The engine was amazingly efficient and quiet, considering its incredible power. The muffler system must've cost Dr. Eckhart a fortune, I realized. The ride was smooth, the handling like a modern-day C5 Corvette, not an O65 Imperial Crown.

Then we switched places and I drove it around, maybe not quite as fast as she did. Actually nowhere near as fast. Then we went back to 'The Vision' World Headquarters, and parked inside the garage. Harvey insisted we stay for 'afternoon tea', and then we came home... Cindy driving my SUV.

I took the 'Black Beauty' to The Cabin, and parked it in the far-side garage, which was next to my office. Okay, I had transportation ready. It was only a matter of time before the call came...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So why do you need that kind of car, and that kind of firepower?" Cindy asked as we had a beer on the outside patio of the Cop Bar.

"You remember last year, when some things were going on in my old hometown of Apple Grove?" I asked.

"Yeah, right about the time Teresa's father died." Cindy said.

"Yes." I replied. "Well, things are flaring up there again, and this time worse. The things the Superior Bloodlines types were trying to do here, and started in Teresa's hometown but got nipped in the bud pretty quick; well, they're embedded a lot deeper in Apple Grove, and I'm going to have to root them out and give them a good Crowbar beatdown. I can't really drive around in a TCPD Police SUV, and I really may need to move fast or fight my way out of there. Ergo, the Black Beauty."