Along Came A Spider Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes," said Pastor Bundy, "it's unfortunate that today's youth don't know the ways of the Lord. What do you say, Captain Briggs?"

"Aw shucks," said Briggs, "back when I was young, they were lamenting our youth for dressing up like Madonna wannabees, and in my parents day, they were lamenting Elvis Presley doing those gy-rations on the new color TVs." Everyone laughed at the generational comparisons.

"We have a study room just back of the Sanctuary." said Pastor Westboro. "I often work in here on Sunday mornings before Services. I believe my friend Robert Patterson will find it comfortable until he's ready to come in for the Revival service."

"What about Commander Troy?" asked Bundy. "The Reverend Patterson is looking forward to a few words with him. Of course, the last time we were here, he caught that 'Silverfish' burglar. Who is he going to catch this time?"

"Hopefully nothing more than a couple of boys trying to come through a window." drawled Precinct Captain Briggs...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I entered the office, and immediately felt that something was different. It seemed stale, as if occupied but no longer the home of a great mind of research. Laura was at her desk. She turned towards me as I came in, and I could see the emotion in her face as she rose.

"Let's sit on the sofas." she said. She had me sit down on the sofa facing the windows, and the door to the clinic, while she sat on the one facing the inner wall and the door to the anteroom.

"Don," she said, struggling to get the words out, "I... I'm going to Washington tonight. I'm taking the kids with me."

"When will you be back?" I asked. You know what they say about asking a question you don't know the answer to?...

"I don't know." Laura said. "Not for a while. Maybe not... at all."

My heart seemed to try to leap out of my chest. "What?... Why?"

"Don, it's been... you know things haven't been very good lately." Laura said, looking anywhere except at me. "We're not having sex, we're not talking like we used to... and the kids... my children are in danger... Don, you've been obsessed with catching this Consultant guy, but... it's eating you up, it's eating us up... and now I don't know if I'm going to wake up and find my kids gone, or dead..."

"Honey," I said, "you've always know the risks... from both our jobs..."

"It's more, Don..." Laura said. "This Federal investigation... if they find you mishandled classified information... they'll bury you alive... maybe even charge you with treason."

"C'mon, I've done nothing wrong." I said.

"Don, some people are above the law." Laura said. "But you and I are not, and if we mess with classified information, we get charged for it. And Casey Walker believes with all his soul that you're a traitor... and I can't... I can't let my children grow up thinking their father is a traitor..."

"My God, Laura, you don't think..." I said.

"I don't know what to think." Laura said. "I just know I'm going to take the children with me, and we're going to stay in Virginia until all of this is over. It may be months..."

"Or never." I said. "What about your professorship here?"

"I'm going to have to talk to Dr. Wellman about that." Laura said. "But not now, not yet. I have to decide what I'm going to do first... stay with the Company, maybe go back to Texas, or to California..."

My heart was thumping in my chest. This must be what it feels like when it's breaking, I thought to myself. I had never felt more miserable in my life than at this moment... my wife was leaving me...

"I... I can't leave. I have to stay here." I said. "I can't run away. I've got to stay and take the son of a bitch out."

"When will that be?" Laura asked.

"By next Monday." I said. "I have to do it by then, because that's when I'm going to be deposed. After that... it won't matter, will it?"

"No. Come say goodbye to the children." Laura said. "We're flying out tonight. The Air Force is sending a small jet for us." We got up and went to the nursery room.

"Daddy!" Carole yelled out when she saw me. She ran up to me and hugged my leg. I picked her up.

"Hi, baby." I said, hugging her.

"Daddy, Mommy is taking me to her meetings." Carole said.

"I know." I said. "You take care of Mommy, okay?"

"I will." Carole said. "Daddy, are you going to take care of Bowser and Buddy while I'm gone?"

"Of course." I said, with a sideways glance at Laura. No, she was decidedly NOT taking the dogs. I hugged my daughter tightly, knowing that this could well be the last time I ever saw her. "I love you, Carole."

"I love you too, Daddy." Carole said, hugging her little arms around my neck.

Then I held Jim, and hugged him goodbye. "Bye Dad-da." was all he said in reply to my farewell words. And words cannot express how I felt as I prayed that he would grow up to be a better man than his father...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I just talked to Molly." Cindy said. "She called me. She said everything was fine, she's really watching out for anything unusual, and her fellow Nextdoor County Police Officers are watching out, as well. I tried to get her to come stay with me, but she said she'll be all right, and it would be better if she stays out of my way."

"Good." I said, my thoughts a million miles away. The sun was setting outside, casting an eerie light through the blinds of my window. The lights of my office were not on.

"Don..." Cindy said, "I know you're hurting. I can only say... I've been there, recently. If there's anything I can do to help..."

"Yeah, thanks." I said. "One step at a time, my friend. We can only take things one step at a time. So... how are things going with Newton?"

"She pretty much was shellshocked when she saw we arrested Yvonne and we're grilling her." Cindy replied. "She knows the deal... give us the Consultant, and Yvonne goes free. But I think she knows we're bluffing."

"We may have to show her that we are not." I replied. "By the way, I appreciate you volunteering to go with me to see Laura off at the airport. After that... it's going to be very dangerous to be around me. I will understand if you stay away from me, handle the Police Force..."

"I am going to beat you down silly for even saying that... Green Hornet." Cindy replied. "I am your Kato."

"Bruce Lee played Kato on the TV show." I said. "You were a big Bruce Lee fan, weren't you?"

"Still am." Cindy said, her mind drifting into her memories. "He was my hero, my inspiration, when I was growing up. Two black belts because I wanted to be like him... never mind that I was a girl." Then she said, more sarcastically, "Fat lot of good that did in the ring of the Boxing Matches." Her eyes went to the trophy on my bookshelf, next to the matchstick Trojan Horse.

"That could be my epitaph." I said with a wan smile.

Part 25 - The Embodiment of Evil

The sleek jet came out of the western sky and landed at County Airport, then taxied to the small terminal building. He watched as a a tall, black-haired woman wearing a scarf and carrying a child, the sleeping girl's head on her shoulder, came out of the Terminal building and went into the airplane. The woman's assistant was carrying the smaller child, in a carseat, and went onto the plane ahead of them. Then came six large bags of luggage.

He saw the Police Commander and Captain of Detectives watching from about fifty feet from the terminal building. They did not see the young man in all black sneak up to the Police SUV behind them, closer to the Airport gate. He dropped some coins in the cupholder of the vehicle; one of the nickels was actually a powerful microphone that would transmit conversation a surprisingly long distance away. The man who planted the bug would be following the car, listening in.

The Consultant of Crime watched as the plane taxied out, then took off, flying west-to-east. He used a specialized mobile device to check the transponder of the plane...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What are you looking at?" I asked as we got into my Police SUV.

"Just an app on my iPhone." Cindy replied. Actually it was a special app from her father; it looked up airplane transponders. "By the way, I would've been very pissed if that plane had crashed at the end of the runway."

"Been there, done that." I said. "And you know the old saying: 'Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me'. We did not fool the Consultant at all last time; I double doubt we'd fool him this time, and I wouldn't dream of trying it again..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

He smiled as he heard the conversation in the SUV. He got out one of his burner phones and made a call. "Yes... I need you to do something for me." He read out the plane transponder, then said "It's headed for Washington, D.C. When it gets over West Virginia, over the mountains... shoot it down."

After a pause, he said "Yes, I know Stingers are precious commodities. Shoot the plane down. This one will be worth it, I assure you... yes... thank you. Yes, I will reward you more than you can dream... yes, I can dream a lot, too..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Go home, get some sleep." I said.

"Where are you going to be staying?" Cindy asked.

"The Cabin." I said. "Mom took the dogs up there, and she's staying with them right now."

"I'll head home in a few minutes." Cindy said. "I have something to do in my office before I go."

After Don left, Cindy got on her computer and ran her airline app, one that only Federal officials should have. She reasoned that she was an FBI Consultant. She watched the transponder of Laura's plane as it traveled east, towards Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. It seemed dull, but was somehow hypnotically entrancing to watch the blip move a millimeter east every few seconds on the screen.

Then she saw another blip coming towards the plane. It had no transponder, and seemed to be on a collision course. As Cindy watched, fear growing in her heart, the two blips seemed to merge. For a second, the transponder disappeared. Then she sighed in relief... the two blips separated, Laura's plane continuing east and the other plane continuing its trajectory.

As Cindy watched, her eyes grew heavy. When she opened them again, the sun was rising over the ridgeline east of the Town...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" yelled the lovely redhead at 7:00am, Tuesday, June 21st. "Channel Two News has learned that the Town & County Police Department has formally refused to make its Officers available to the SBI for questioning in the investigation of Commander Donald Troy. Chief Sean Moynahan issued a statement that the SBI and DOJ were not using proper due process, and seemed to be attempting to smear all of his Officers with a label of corruption."

"Sheriff Daniel Allgood supported his Chief of Police, but issued a statement that the Police would need to cooperate when the Officers were provided protection of their rights. Town & County Council Members Thomas P. Cook and Kelly Carnes issued a joint statement condemning the Police Chief, accusing him of covering up for Commander Troy, and demanded Chief Moynahan and Commander Troy resign immediately. Council Members John Colby and Dagmar Schoen issued a counter-statement in support of the Chief and Commander, and said that Mr. Cook should resign his Council seat over corruption and graft issues.

"Due to the lack of cooperation from the TCPD, the State Department of justice will seek a Court order to compel Governor Jared to suspend Commander Troy. This is expected to occur on Thursday or Friday.

"SBI Director and candidate for Governor Jack Lewis has issued a statement condemning the Town & County Police Force, saying that it was corrupt when Chief Griswold was running it, and it is corrupt now with Moynahan and Troy in charge. Governor Jared has stated that the current investigation of Commander Troy must run its path before any judgments can be made."

"In other news... what's that?" Bettina asked, listening to her nearly invisible earpiece. "Ladies and gentlemen, we have breaking national news from the Channel Two Newsdesk! Let's go to John Hardwood at the desk. John!"

"Thank you Bettina." said John Harwood at the anchor desk in the KXTC studios. "Channel Two News has learned that a small jet has crashed into the mountains in West Virginia last night. Rescuers reached the plane only in the last hour, and say that everyone aboard is dead. The plane was believed to be an Air Force jet that transported Government executives about the country. The names are not being released pending notification of next-of-kin, but Channel Two News has learned that at least two adults and two small children were found..."

"Oh my God!" Cindy Ross wailed as everyone in MCD watched, her hand going to her mouth in horror, tears welling in her eyes. "No, no, no... Oh my God..."

"What is it?" Joanne Cummings Warner asked.

"The plane..." Cindy gasped... "was Laura's plane... Carole and Jim were on it.. oh God, oh God..." She turned and ran out of the room. Teresa bolted after her.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Cindy Ross hurled herself against the door of Commander Troy's office, almost breaking it down. Going into the office, she saw the Iron Crowbar seated at his desk, looking out the window, his face a mask of shock and agony, the tears rolling down his cheeks.

"I'm going to kill him!" Cindy shouted. "I don't give a shit about the rest of it, I am going to kill that son of a bitch NOW!!"

I turned to face her. "If you do, he wins, and their deaths are meaningless." I stood up. "I will take him out myself, but it has to be my way."

"NO!" Cindy screamed, unable to control her pent up fury. "He dies! Today! If you don't do it, I am going to!"

Teresa shut the door to the office. "Cindy, take it easy!" Cindy whirled on her, and Teresa squared up to her... totally unafraid, I noticed.

"Cindy!" I called out in my most authoritative voice. She turned to me. "They were my wife and children, I will avenge their deaths. But you must let me do it! It's going to happen, everything is in place, it is inexorable... but if you act too quickly, he'll get away. You won't find him, you won't be able to kill him, and everything will be for nothing."

Cindy was staring at me, her ice blue eyes almost burning with white-hot fury. I could not tell if I was reaching her. She looked down for a moment, then bent over, and I knew her soul was racked with a pain that barely approached mine, but was still overwhelmingly agonizing.

Then she stood bolt upright.

"Molly!" she gasped. "Oh my God, we've got to find Molly!" She took out her phone and dialed her sister's number. There was no response.

Teresa was not fast enough to stop her as she bolted out of my office, running like a madman down the hall, but Teresa tried. As Cindy got to her Police SUV, Teresa was on the passenger side, getting in.

"How..." Cindy gasped as she got in. "I only unlocked the driver side door."

"I know, I unlocked the other one." Teresa said, showing Cindy the extra key and fob with the lock/unlock button. Cindy did not say anything further, but tore out of the parking lot and down Riverside Drive, blue lights burning and sirens blaring as they drove towards Nextdoor County...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Detectives in MCD were stunned, and a mess. Mary Mahoney Milton was sobbing, her husband Myron trying to comfort her. Tears ran down Joanne Warner's cheeks... and Theo Washington's. Teddy Parker looked sick to his stomach, and Wes 'Coldiron' Masters had an inscrutable blank look on his handsome face.

"Oh no..." Joanne said when she looked into the hall and saw FBI Agents Jack Muscone and Martin Nash coming down the hall, their faces showing grim pain. Martin looked in on them, and just shook his head before continuing to the Commander's office for the official notification of the next-of-kin...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Thirty minutes later, I came out of my office and went to the Chief's office. After talking with him for a few moments, he told me to find a place of duty that did not include Police Headquarters. I nodded. I had to get out of there.

I went to MCD. People started trying to offer condolences, but I raised my hand to silence them.

"Not now, guys." I said, my face a mask of stone. "Thank you, but not now. Coldiron, until Captain Ross returns, you're in charge of the Detectives. Keep doing the great job you've always done, people. And break Newton down." With that, I left the room and went down the hall to the exit door as Chief Moynahan came to MCD and called Lt. Masters to his office.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"She's not at Nextdoor County Police Headquarters." Cindy said as she disconnected the phone. "They thought she was going to spend the week with me in our County." She was already driving 90 miles per hour, but still tried to push the SUV harder.

"Does she ever go undercover?" Teresa asked.

"Not without telling me." Cindy said. "And she'd have made arrangement for the boys."

Pulling into Molly's condo complex, Cindy was about to rush in, when Teresa stopped her and drew her gun. Cindy's eyes widened in surprise, but she realized Teresa was right: they had to clear the apartment.

Cindy unlocked the door and Teresa opened it. "Molly! It's Teresa and Cindy! Anyone in there?" There was no response.

Teresa went in first, slowly and carefully. One by one the rooms were cleared. There was no one at home.

"Everything is neat and orderly." Teresa said. "No signs of a struggle. No baby bag, which means she has that with her."

"Oh, geez." Cindy said. "Oh my God." She was trying to hold on mentally.

Teresa said "Cindy, relax. Breathe. Molly may just have gone into hiding. The Consultant went after Laura and her kids first, and Molly may be just fine somewhere."

Cindy said "I know. But... look, remember that guy Fulton that was found near BigPharmaCorp? His apartment was found neat and tidy except for bloodstains. And all these other crimes, the badge crimes... the victims's places were left neat and tidy, as on show for sale. Look around here... Molly keeps it pretty clean, but it's just perfectly clean... too clean."

Teresa saw the look in Cindy's eyes change. "Don't do it, Cindy."

Cindy whirled and said "I am going to kill him. Now. If Molly is okay, she'll come out; if she and the boys are dead, it's too late anyway. I'm done with this."

As she went for the door, she felt the sting of an injection into the back of her neck. As she turned, she lost her balance and went down... then her eyes closed as she fell into blackness.

Teresa looked up at the person just coming in the door. "I had to stop her." Teresa said.

"I know. You did right." said the man entering the house...

Part 26 - Night of the Long Knives

The handsome young Satyr entered Lashes & Lace and went to the back room. Putting on his mask, he was admitted to the underground chambers, and was told to go to the Satyrs' Lounge, a room on the second level down. It was something of an employees' room, but orgies amongst the staff were frequently held there.

Once down there, a pretty girl, naked except for her high heels and her own mask, wordlessly escorted him into another side chamber. He had never been in this room before. It was small, and poorly lighted with artificial candles. At the far end was Rita, wearing a mask, her usual bluish-silver clingy outfit, and high heel sandals.

"Ah, my precious Scotty, there you are." Rita said in her seductive voice. "Come, kneel before me." Scotty obediently complied.

"Ah, you've been a bad, bad boy, haven't you, Scotty?" Rita said as she stood up.

"Ma'am?" Scotty asked, confused.

Then he looked around. He was surrounded by other men, most very muscular, all wearing masks... leather masks of executioners, not the party masks of Satyrs and Nymphs. There were also some women in the circle of people.