Amnesia Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, detective. I understand."

"It's Martin, Nina. Trust me. We'll do everything we can to get you and Tony back together again. We just have to make sure you're safe."

"Thank you, Martin. I'm ... sure you're doing everything you can. I'm grateful. Thank you," she said finally.

As she closed the phone, she slumped into the living room chair.

-0-

Detective Martin Polikoff walked into Amnesia at two that afternoon. He had missed Tony that morning after talking to Nina. He'd waited until the noon rush was over to talk to him about the S.E.C. contact and anything more that he might have remembered.

Carl nodded to Martin and moved toward the swinging doors leading to the kitchen. A moment later Tony appeared, wiping his brow with a towel and acknowledging the detective. He poured himself an iced tea and sat with Martin.

"Do you remember the name of the S.E.C. contact you had?"

"Yes, Carter Woolman," Tony answered promptly.

"How well do you know him?"

"I don't know him very well, but I remember talking to him about my suspicions. He was very interested, but couldn't do much without some evidence or a formal complaint. I guess that's all taken care of now. I'm pretty sure the evidence I have on my computer will give them all the stuff they need to prosecute."

"Yeah ... well ... I think he must have said something to the F.B.I. I'm assuming that's why they came to your house and took your computer. They're going to take precedence here. My guy tells me they are building a solid case against the three guys you identified and they're throwing in the president for good measure. It might also interest you to know that the F.B.I. assumes you are dead and that your colleagues hired someone to 'off' you. They're going to add murder to the charges and see who cracks first."

"Jesus ... murder! They think I'm dead?"

"Yeah. That's not a bad thing for right now, but we've got to play this carefully. We're not going to let the F.B.I. know you are still alive until they find the guy that attacked you. My guy will play dumb, so since no one else at the bureau talks to me, they don't know what we know. When the charges are brought, we won't have any place to hide, so we'll have to tell them about you then, but not before."

"This sounds pretty risky for you, Martin. Wouldn't you be harboring a witness without permission? Are you sure you want to play it this way?"

"Yeah. If the F.B.I. files murder charges, their bail will probably be denied and they'll be in custody. That will make whoever they hired think he did his job. We'll just have to make sure they understand it's in their best interest that no one say anything about you still being alive. Sooner or later one of those guys will talk ... I hope," he said as he flashed a wrinkled grin.

Tony grimaced, shaking his head. "All I want to be is a cook, Martin. This is getting way too complicated for my little pea brain."

"Yeah ... well ... I don't feel so smart sometimes either. But I've been thinkin' ... if we still figure someone is out there lookin' for you, you've already got a new legal identity. We could slip you into the witness protection program and move you and your family to safe territory."

Tony looked very unhappy. "That's the last thing I want to do. Do you remember telling me that this part of town was your territory?"

"Yeah."

"Well ... it's mine too. This is where I grew up. Or at least, not far from here. Close to where Muriel lives. I'm from here just like you. This is where I belong ... not Westport. This is where our home should be. I don't know how Nina is going to take that. She and I worked hard to get out of here and now I'm saying I want to come back. She probably won't go for it," he said sadly.

"Don't be so sure. She might surprise you."

"I don't know what makes you think that. I treated her like shit for the last year we were together. I remember being angry all the time. Angry at those assholes who were stealing and angry with what I was doing. I had this big fancy house and fancy cars and a ton of money ... and I wasn't happy with any of it. It was a sham.

"John Doan is real, Martin. That's who I want to be. John Doan. The guy who gives a damn about people and is happy with himself. In my old life, I made more money in a month than I'll make in a year as a cook ... but I like myself now. I'm happy being a cook. I don't need the other crap."

Martin nodded and smiled. "I kind of like you too. I know my kid likes you. He looks up to you. That's a good place to be, Tony ... or John," he laughed.

"Speaking of David, is he looking for a job during the holidays?"

"Yeah ... I imagine he'll try to find something. What ya got in mind?"

"I can use a helper here and I know Muriel can always use some relief. It doesn't pay much, but he'll get experience he won't get anywhere else. I know he's got his nose stuck in good at school, so I'm thinking, if this is what he wants ...."

"You just can't help yourself, can you?" Martin laughed. "You can't help holdin' your hand out and pullin' someone in." Martin shook his head in amusement at Tony. The cook just shrugged.

-0-

12