Amnesia Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They ate and talked and generally enjoyed the meal and each other's company. Martin was accustomed to eating alone and Frank was accustomed to chaos at the dinner table.

But things were changing for Martin. He had a date with Magda on Friday. It was for dinner and dancing at the Riverside Lounge. Soft jazz and a sexy woman. It had been a long time between dates.

He sat in his unmarked car and pulled out his cell phone. He looked at if for a moment, then snapped the lid shut. He pulled away from the curb, heading in the direction of a familiar tavern.

Carl acknowledged Martin's arrival with a smile and walked to the kitchen doors, returning in a few seconds. "The usual?"

"Yeah, and get one for Tony ... I mean John ... please."

Carl gave him a funny look and then pulled the handle on the draft ale spout, pouring two.

Martin put a ten dollar bill on the counter, but Carl waved him off. He left a two dollar tip instead before heading to a small table near the back.

Tony came out through the kitchen doors and smiled as he found Martin. He sat with a thump in the upholstered chair and sighed heavily.

"This has been a long day, my friend. I'm ready for this," he said, holding up the dark ale.

"Well ... it may be that I'm going to make this one of your better days," Martin smiled.

Tony perked up immediately, paying close attention to his friend.

"They've found the guy ... the one who tried to ... to take you out," he said finally. "They're picking him up tomorrow morning. I'll be getting a call when he's in custody. We don't think they'll grant bail on this one. I think it's almost over, Tony."

Tony looked at Martin, speechless.

"Martin ... I can't quite believe it. It's like waking up from a nightmare. Nina will be so relieved. I don't know whether to call her now or wait until you confirm it tomorrow," he said, shaking his head.

"Why not wait until it's confirmed, Tony. You don't want Nina going through the agony twice if something goes haywire. I wanted to let you know right away because I need to warn you."

"What about?"

"The media are going to be all over this story as soon as it breaks ... maybe as early as tomorrow afternoon. The F.B.I. know you're alive and they'll be over here tomorrow morning for sure. My guy says they want to make sure you are who you say you are and that you are the guy that blew the whistle. My advice is to have your assistant look after things tomorrow. I don't know whether they'll show up here or not, but be prepared. Right now, you are a very valuable piece of property to them."

"What about you?" Tony asked.

"I'm going to lay low for a day or two. My retirement is almost here and they can't do much to me. They'll hassle me for keeping you hidden, but once the media gets the story about what's been going on, they won't risk the bad publicity of making me a goat."

"I'll make sure of that," Tony said with authority. "I'm going to make sure that everyone knows how much work you put in on your own time to get to the bottom of what happened to me."

Martin smiled. "No need, but ... tell them whatever you want. Just make sure to tell them the truth. If you don't remember, then tell them that."

Tony nodded, sipping his ale. "Damn, Martin. This is great. Nina is going to be delirious."

-0-

12