An Affair of Record

Story Info
Love - in both music and life.
9k words
4.15
7.7k
5
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
HisArpy
HisArpy
165 Followers

An affair of record

Copyright 2017 by HisArpy. All Rights reserved. No reproduction or transmission in any form or format without prior permission from the Author is permitted.

All characters in this work are fictional and are solely the product of the Author's imagination. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

ONE

I watched the worker on the step ladder stretching and leaning to the left, reaching well beyond what was safe in order to try to tie-off the banner being installed over the door of the new record store across the street; Vintage Vinyl.

GRAND OPENING! The banner proclaimed the upcoming event in huge red letters.

For weeks now I'd sat at my favorite coffee shop and watched the store across the street be renovated from an empty dark pit into a quaint, in an old fashioned way, storefront. At first I'd wondered who would try to open a new business in our neighborhood, it wasn't the best place for retail. There wasn't much traffic, either on foot or vehicular, so businesses were leaving for more upscale malls and developments. But, once I saw it was a record store, I knew why they'd chosen this area; cheap rent. It's why most of the remaining businesses stayed.

Taking another sip of my latte, I continued to watch the activity across the street where there were more precarious maneuvers while the ladder wobbled. Eventually I couldn't take it any longer. Getting up, I checked for cross-traffic before heading that way. J-walking across the street, I stepped up onto the curb and grabbed the ladder.

"Hey up there."

"Kinda busy," the reply was short and to the point.

"I can see that but it's really important. Can you come down for a second?" I griped the ladder's legs tighter as it wobbled again. "Like right now? Please?"

I gave a come-down wave at the look I got in return. "It'll just take a second."

With a sigh, and another ladder wobble, feet started down the rungs. The banner drooped onto to the top of my head. I pushed it out of the way so I could see.

"What?" The question was almost belligerent.

"My friend and I saw you up there and I got concerned." I moved the ladder two feet to the left before setting it down again. "I didn't want you to fall."

"Your friend?" The look that went with the question wasn't that curious.

I pointed across the street where Lizzie sat at our café table on the sidewalk. She hadn't moved. Not that she would, her leash was still tied to the table leg.

At the sight of Lizzie I got another look, along with a startled blink this time. I knew why; Lizzie was stunning. Chocolate brown hair, a long straight nose, soft yet alert eyes. We'd just finished our morning run together. As usual I'd stopped for coffee on my way home, tying her leash to the table leg so she wouldn't run off.

"Friend?"

I shrugged before gesturing up the ladder. "Try it now. I'll hold the ladder just in case."

I had to duck under the banner as it slapped against the side of my face and all I could see were feet trudging up the ladder again. Once it cleared out of the way of my vision, I looked upward while continuing to hold the ladder as the banner was tied off securely.

"So, when's the grand opening party?" I was just making conversation as I watched. I'd gotten the ladder positioned as far to the left as possible before it hit the edge of the concrete planter but there was still stretching and leaning going on up there, along with standing on one leg while the other swung out to counterbalance the lean.

"Friday evening. There'll be food and stuff. It'll be fun so tell your . . . friends."

I nearly laughed at the awkward pause. "I will. I know some people who are really into music. They tell me vinyl is making a comeback."

"It is." The reply was quick and I could hear the excitement over the concept. "It's why I'm opening now. The prices are skyrocketing for quality albums and I've got thousands of covers, some really esoteric stuff as well as mainstream."

"Like what?" I was curious about what she meant by esoteric.

"Well, I've got a mint album by Tijuana Brass still in the cellophane and unopened."

"Who?"

"Tijuana Brass. It's a group from the sixties, all instrumental. They were hot back in the day."

"Oh." I wasn't that interested in oldies. I mean, it's not that I don't like music, I'm just not into music from my grandparent's era. I'm definitely more Metallica than Elvis.

The ladder shook as my new acquaintance climbed down again.

"You not in to instrumental groups?"

I shook my head. "Not into oldies."

"I've got newer stuff. It's more common so there's more of it out there and not as much market for it, but I've got it. I've got lots of different styles and types and genre's. I inherited a bunch of albums in the beginning, but I kept collecting more because I like it. To me, it's an interesting and fun hobby. Some of the music is really different from what you'd expect."

"Like what?" I repeated my earlier question.

"Well, I've got some vintage Country music. Among others I have three mint Glen Campbell albums including intact and undamaged sleeves."

"Glen Campbell?" I blurted the name before I could stop myself. "He's like sixties too, isn't he?"

"Late sixties - early seventies for the most part. He was still singing until just before he passed away. He was a great artist."

"But, he's old."

I got a grin in response to my blurts.

"There are some who say his songs Wichita Lineman and By The Time I Get To Phoenix compete for the title of Greatest Love Song."

"I thought Layla by Eric Clapton was supposed to be the best love song ever written." That was about the extent of my music trivia knowledge but I wasn't going to say that.

Another grin. "Not even close. Lineman is so poignant it will give you tears. Phoenix will make you believe in how deep love really goes. In the song he's leaving her and yet he still loves her so much it's ripping him apart. Worse, the implication about how much she's going to hurt when she realizes he really is gone and isn't coming back can put a lump in anyone's throat.

"Layla is nothing in comparison, not in my opinion anyway. I've got a copy of Derek and the Domino's with Layla on it. Come inside and I'll play all three songs for you and you can decide for yourself which is best."

"I can't right now." I pointed across the street at Lizzie who was still tied to the table. "I have to take her home and then get to work."

A long pause as we both looked at Lizzie who sat still and watched us both.

"Uh, yeah, ok."

I could tell she was confused and embarrassed because it happened all the time whenever people saw Lizzie.

"Tell you what, I'll mention your grand opening to my friends and try to come by on Friday." I flipped a lazy hand toward Lizzie who was still watching us from across the street. "I'll leave Lizzie at home if I do."

Another pause then she folded the stepladder. "Um, ok, thanks for the help."

"No problem," I replied. "I enjoyed it."

Another confused look followed my statement. I pointed at the top of the ladder with a finger.

"The view from here was better than from over there."

The confused look continued for a moment, then a blush colored her cheeks all the way to the tops of her ears as she realized what I'd meant. Looking down at herself she understood that I would have been able to see under her fifties-style skirt as she stood on the ladder.

"Little pink bows are awesome." Obliquely I verified that I'd seen her panties with the tiny satin bow on the front. Without waiting for her response I crossed the street again, untied Lizzie's leash and walked away toward home. Lizzie trailed along with me, staying at my heel where her obedience training had taught her to be.

TWO

The store was busy but not jumping like I'd expected. I'd told some friends who mentioned that they'd told some friends and everyone said they'd be there. It was probably still early, being just after five, but I'd expected Petey to be there before I got there. I knew he wasn't because he was the loud gregarious type, and if he'd been there I'd have known it before I walked inside. When I say loud, I mean LOUD! Petey's voice can carry over the sound of a jackhammer.

"You made it!" The stepladder girl looked happy to see me.

"Yep. With bows on." I grinned at her which made her cheeks flash a quick pink as she remembered our last conversation. "I told some friends about tonight too."

"Oh, good. Things have been a little slower than I'd hoped." She looked around the store to make her point while avoiding the panty bow part of the conversation.

"It's still early. Give people a chance to get off from work. I told a lot of people who spread it around on social media. We'll see if anyone shows up and things change."

"It's what I'm hoping for." A bright smile followed those words. "C'mon, I want to play those songs for you."

"Songs?"

"The Glen Campbell ones. And Layla. I've already got them set up on the system. I was hoping you'd come by."

"Seriously, I'm more Guns and Roses than oldies." I tried to get out of having to listen to something I was positive I wouldn't like. "I mean, really, songs about cows and cornfields aren't my thing."

A laugh followed my statement.

"Axyl Rose did a version of Lineman while on tour that Rolling Stone called the most remarkable cover he ever did. I can cue that up too."

"He what?"

Another laugh. "He did. Come on, I'll show you and you can decide for yourself."

We'd only taken a couple of steps before a bass bellow cut through the air.

"TOMMY!"

"Hey Petey."

I turned around to face him. Petey was a huge bear of a man. Nearly seven feet in height, and probably weighing close to three-hundred-fifty pounds, he had tattoos everywhere on his body including the top of his bald head. He even had two teardrops tattooed next to his eye. I'd asked him about them once but he wouldn't talk about them. At that point I'd dropped it before I ruined our friendship. It was the only thing I'd found so far that he wouldn't talk about. But, if he wanted to keep the reason secret, that was ok with me. I had secrets too.

"I'm glad you made it. Did you bring anybody with you?"

"Yeah, they're out front setting up."

"Setting up?" The question came from behind me.

Petey looked past me, then switched back to visually ask who the stranger was.

"This is . . . " I paused. Oops. "Sorry, we never introduced ourselves so I don't know your name. I'm Tommy." I held out my hand.

"Colleen. Colleen Carson." She shook my hand.

"This is CC." I turned back to Petey. "She owns the store. Be nice to her. She's a new friend."

"Friend-friend?"

"Just a friend. So be nice. Or I'll get mad at you." I said it with a smile so he'd know I wasn't serious, or not too serious anyway. At this point CC was just someone I knew but was interested in.

While CC was shaking Petey's huge paw of a hand, a sharp guitar solo ripped through the air making everything vibrate.

"Get a decibel limiter on that." I pointed out the window. "No more than eighty-five max. We don't need anyone complaining about noise. Mellow and a good time is what we need."

"On it." Petey headed back out the door. "Nice meeting you CC."

"What's going on?" CC sounded confused.

"Flash mob. I let a few people know and they decided to set up a flash mob concert." I shrugged. "Let's go find out who's coming."

Petey's flatbed 'stage truck' was parked at the curb. It would be the platform they used for the performers. The truck was set up with all the electronics the bands, all independent small-timers and bar groups, would need to play music. They would plug their instruments in, do a short set of a few of songs, then let another group up onto the stage to play the next set. It was their way of showcasing and promoting their talents to everyone. Of course, the fact that I'd originally suggested it was another well-kept secret, I was all about being low key. With my particular lifestyle it was essential that I never appeared anywhere near the limelight.

Petey was already at the controls for the mixing station built into the truck. He nodded at the guitarist on the stage who launched back into his solo again. I waved at Petey to catch his attention and made a thumbs down, holding it until the decibel level dropped and reached comfortable to talk over.

"No one'll hear us at that level." The guitarist complained about the setting.

"It also means no one will call the cops." I called up to him. "We're here for the evening, not just ten minutes. Chop your intended set to match the scene and we'll go gold. Otherwise . . . " I left the warning hanging.

"Got it." He nodded his understanding of what I was saying; none of us needed a bail hearing. "Everyone, set three, CCR first track. Four five six . . ."

On six, the players on the stage began the first set of the evening. The strains of Creedence Clearwater Revival's Bad Moon Rising floated into the air.

"I see a bad moon arising.

I see trouble on the way . . . "

Perfect. I gave a thumbs up to the guitarist in appreciation of his tact. They might not be a big time band, but they were professionals in what they did.

"Oh hey, before I forget, Lilly texted me to say she'd be here." Petey boomed at me while he locked down his mixing board - with a padlock and steel cover so NO ONE could change any of the settings.

"Lilly's coming?" I was surprised. Lilly almost never showed up for flash mobs. She barely made her regular club appearances.

"Lilly? Who's Lilly?" CC asked before she paled. "Lilly Valley? Are you saying Lilly Valley is coming? Here? Tonight?"

I looked at Petey who nodded yes.

"Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God." CC kept repeating herself. "Lilly Valley, oh my God."

I tossed a grin at CC. Lilly was a Blues singer. Almost everyone who heard her sing loved her. But, she was very reclusive and rarely went anywhere other than the club she sang at. That she was coming to the flash mob was a treat for everyone. If she actually showed up that is. Sometimes she said she would and never did.

"Who ARE you?" CC asked me suddenly. Her question was intent on her finding out something about what was going on.

"Tommy's a freelance marketing consultant." Petey's voice boomed from his much loftier height, making people look at the three of us.

"A what?" CC looked at me.

"I do marketing. Ads, commercials, stuff like that. And, before you ask, what I do is all behind the scenes. I create the concepts. I don't do the actual production. I leave that up to professionals and the artists like Petey and those guys up there." I pointed at Petey's truck where the band had finished with their CCR rendition and were starting to play What's up from Four Non Blondes.

I almost winced, but instead made a mental note to tell them to not play that again. Winds of Change by Scorpions would match their sound better. Who knows, maybe they'd hire me to arrange their sets for style, mood, and flow. I kind of doubted it, most musicians didn't like outsiders telling them what to play, but they might.

"Oh."

CC's exclamation had me toss another glance her way. She was looking around at all the people who were coming out from other shops to see what the noise and excitement were all about. I grinned at the stunned look on her face. It was almost priceless.

Time for phase two. The best campaigns always have more than one phase to capture the potential audience. This particular one also had multiple audiences so I needed to be sure they were up to speed on what was happening. By giving them some personal attention I was sure I could sell them on the concept of live music at CC's grand opening. Without that effort there was a potential of alienating them over the noise and commotion that was going to be happening.

With that in mind, I headed across the street to the coffee shop. I needed to get them prepared for what was coming so they'd be ready to deal with the hoard that was about to descend on us. Forewarned, they could ply them with plenty of food and drink. And plenty was the password; if the news about Lilly being there got out, we might get anywhere from five-hundred to a thousand people showing up in the next thirty minutes. Someone had to warn the other shopkeepers so they could be ready if it happened.

Finished with talking to the coffee shop owner, and a couple of others who promised to spread the word, I headed back to Vintage Vinyl. CC was standing on the sidewalk gaping at the people who were already streaming into the neighborhood. A few were already dancing to the music.

"Go inside," I turned her around and gave her a tiny push.

"Why?"

"Because you aren't part of this. You're just a record store owner who is taking advantage of the flash mob."

She looked at me in confusion.

"The mob can disperse if the cops show up. You can't, so don't be involved. Just take advantage of the situation to sell some of your inventory. Don't forget to hand out business cards to everyone you can. Flyers too if you have any."

Giving me a backward glance over her shoulder that caused her to narrowly miss bumping into the door jam, she went inside and stopped to look at me again. I shooed her on with a little wave of my hands and turned away. I still had work to do.

THREE

An hour later I was feeling a bit tired from all the walking and talking, but I was pleased at the orderliness of the mob. There had been some problems with people blocking the street, but we'd handled that by quietly telling them, if they blocked the street, the cops would come and we'd have to quit. Petey came in handy as my backup for that as well as some other friends who'd showed up unexpectedly, parking their Harley's near the stage truck and slipping through the crowd to stop trouble before it got started. The traffic lanes stayed open but the parking spaces were being used for standing, curbs were for sitting, and the sidewalks were used for dancing. One police cruiser did drift down the street but only paused for a moment before moving on. The crowd was in good order, the music wasn't offensive, and the street was open for traffic; they had no reason to stop. Not unless they wanted to listen to the music themselves.

I was sipping my second latte of the evening when Lilly's voice rose over the sudden hush of the crowd.

"This train don't carry no gamblers, this train . . .

This train don't carry no gamblers, this train . . ."

Lilly's sultry voice flowed. The accompanying music was recorded, including sound effects, but the vocals were all her. It was like a magic wave spilling through the night air as the crowd went totally silent. She finished This Train and sang another two songs before ending her set. There was another moment of silence then whistles and clapping filled the air. Petey appeared, holding up his arms for Lilly. He lifted her down before jumping up on the stage truck and taking the microphone.

"Thanks everyone for coming. We appreciate you showing up. Don't forget to check out the local businesses who let us do this without hassling us for it. That means we're asking you to spend some money at their places. Don't be a bunch of cheap bastards."

A general guffaw ran through the crowd over Petey's announcement. Which just happened to be phase three of the plan; get the crowd to spend money.

"Y'all have a great evening. Peace." Petey jumped off his truck and shut all the electronics down; they were done for the night.

HisArpy
HisArpy
165 Followers