An Angel's Fix Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
photodad
photodad
492 Followers

Kim's experience with her friend told her she needed to be firm with Ashley right now. "No! You got Reena, Mike, and the others AFTER you recorded that album. The contest was all you as well. Not them."

"Maybe, but all that good stuff was only local until our sorority got involved. I'll just take what I can get for now. We'll just have to watch ourselves and what we buy. We aren't broke, but we should start setting limits."

"What's this sudden thing with money? You got a lot from your advance and retainer, plus I'm sure even more from the jump in sales. And Joe..."

"JOE?! Kim, Joe doesn't have as much as you think. He's shown me the account statements this fall. The amounts look huge until you start thinking about how to live the rest of your life."

"Well, how much?"

"Less than nine."

"Thousand?"

Ashley gave an embarrassed shake of her head. "Million."

Kim gave a sarcastic nod. "Oh. Yeah. That's...terrible." She rolled her eyes.

"You don't understand. About half will go to taxes, since he gained it this year. He also said he has to make the last couple of payments for his project, so really it's not that much. More like just enough for us to live nicely until the end of college."

"What project?" It was the first Kim had heard any such thing.

"I don't know. He just said he's working on something, and it might involve Jasmine. Whatever it is, it's massive. I've never seen an account go down so fast."

Kim could tell that beneath Ashley's new stoic front, she was hurt by this subject. "How did you find out there was a project? Joe tell you?"

Ashley shook her head. "Not willingly, and I still don't know what it is. Just that it's there, it's a sore spot with him, and it quote-unquote 'might' involve Jasmine." She propped her chin in her hand, and studied the chip in her other fingers. "Huh, kinda looks like a really plump rabbit...if you squint."

Kim ignored Ashley's attempt at distraction. "I hope you pressed him harder. Or at least let him have it for keeping a secret from you that cost millions."

"Not really," Ashley sighed. She was tired of the subject.

"Damn it, Ash! Y'all are MARRIED now! It's a partnership. What he does and decides affects you both. Probably you more than him." Ashley smarted at the jab, but Kim pressed on. "He can't just throw away money that would help you live your life. YOU have got to make him see that. Stomp his ass until he tells you more." Kim paused as a thought came to her head. "Or, knowing your drive, you could mount him and keep going until he begs to tell you. You'd probably get three or four O's out of it, so it would be win-win for you."

Even though Ashley was hurt by the blunt truth, she couldn't help but let a single chuckle out at Kim's sex humor. "Well, he said that he couldn't tell me, because it would send me into euphoria if it worked, and perma-depression if it didn't. I guess his 'investment' is for me, and that's why I didn't press it."

Kim shifted gears. "So, what do you think of me? You probably hate me now for saying that."

"Why would I hate you? You always set me straight, no matter how twisted I make things in my head."

"Good, so how do...did you view our relationship?"

Ashley breathed a heavy sigh while she thought about it. "You were fun. What we did was really fun. I mean you still are, but when we played around, I really enjoyed it. I wish you would open back up to me. I miss you as a friend, more than anything else."

"I'm still here. Got a lot of sorting out to do about myself, but I'm here. So, Jasmine's your girlfriend?"

"Yes," Ashley answered without thinking. She knew that Kim intended the romantic definition of the word, not the casual meaning ladies often used to refer to their best friends. Yet, it spilled right out, and she didn't catch it until it was about two seconds too late. "Oh no, what that must look like to you. Kim, you're evil, twisting my thoughts around to get an answer I don't intend to give. I love you, I really do." She pleaded with her eyes for forgiveness.

Kim was smug in knowing she could still play Ashley to get the naked truth to her thoughts. But, she also knew that Ashley would never intentionally make her feel or look like a plaything in comparison to Jasmine. "That hurt."

"I'm sorry!"

Kim put up her hand. "That hurts, but I knew. It's okay. So, why her? Why is she your girlfriend?"

"I said I was sorry. Why do you have to grill me about it...again? I wish you could just make up with her and everything would be okay."

"Just curious, is all. What makes her your girlfriend, and me 'lots of fun'?"

"It's not like that. I love you, I do. Jasmine helps me explore things I never thought about or willed myself to do. I know you offered to donate an ovary to me, and that means the world to me. The universe, really. But, she was always the one to take care of me when I was sick. She changed my bandages, gave me sponge baths, helped me dress. Jasmine knows my needs before anyone else does, even Joe, and she fills them. I'm in love with her, and I guess that's all there is to it."

Kim nodded. "Even after she slept with him?"

"This circle again? YES! Okay? She's probably itching to ride his brains out right now. I'm not exactly happy about that, but I love them both the same, and I'm happy-ish that they can satisfy each others needs in some fashion when I'm away."

"You said that he told you he wouldn't do that again, at least to go all the way with her, right? And she said the same?"

"Yes..."

"Then, like you said, they won't. Neither would break a promise within their control."

"Kim, I'm not naïve. Jasmine can do something I can't."

"What's that?" Kim interrupted, being skeptical.

"Give Joe his own child. That alone makes it only a matter of time before they try. Every once in a while he lets it slip that having a family to raise was a dream of his."

"Ash, you can adopt! He'll love that little person just the same as if he knocked you up."

"What court would let us, if I really make music my career? They'd say I'd be an absentee mother and slap that denied stamp down so fast!" Ashley's voice broke as she said this.

Kim felt bad for bringing the subject out twice in the same trip. "You don't know that. Look at those celebrities. They adopt all the time. Angelina has like seven!"

"Not to sound racist, but I'm not gonna go around the world to snap up every unfortunate African kid I can find! That couple has gobs and gobs of money to defend custody, if the foreign parents turn their luck around and want them back. No, if we do adopt, it'll be through the American courts. Maybe I can settle in New York and do Broadway. A couple of my professors said I have the talent for it, if I take some acting instruction."

Kim raised her eyebrows. "New York? You'd move away?"

"I don't know. I mean if we decide to adopt after graduation, it could be a stable income, and I wouldn't have to travel."

Kim was still reeling from the revelation. She had always pictured Ashley running out on tour, but at least she'd always come home nearby. She just couldn't picture Ashley living in a big city, but looking back, Ashley did say once in a while that she missed California. Ashley just blended so well in their small town, and then in college life, Kim forgot that she was a big-city girl. The adaptability must come from being a military brat. On second thought, if Ashley wanted to make a go of it in New York, Kim doubted that she'd fail.

Kim asked Ashley what she wanted to do in the short term. They had to return to the meeting, after all. After discussing the answer for more than a few minutes, Ashley said all the talk about her lovers had her wanting to hug and kiss them, and she pulled out her phone to talk to them. Kim pulled out hers and dialed a number.

"Hello, Jon? Not sure if you remember me, but I'm Kim...Oh, you do. Great! I have an issue I was hoping you could help me with..." The conversation with the band leader ended when they set foot back in the studio.

The owner was waiting for them and they sat in the conference room. Kim quickly took control and laid out that Ashley was willing to tour during her school breaks, if necessary. But the four days surrounding Christmas and Easter would be off-limits. She would need to assemble a band, and that would take time to interview and audition. The owner wasn't thrilled that someone not linked to his contract employee was telling him what to do. He asked Kim to leave, but Ashley grabbed her friend's wrist to stop her from getting up and said that Kim was her agent. He protested, saying that friends are not agents and that the business was between him and her. Ashley said that Kim was receiving a paycheck when they returned, and that she paid for her flight, making Kim a paid employee.

The dust settled out eventually, and Matt disclosed his own ideas. Now that he was sure Ashley was willing to travel on school breaks, and not just to Atlanta, he had in mind a young and energetic band that needed a lead singer. Also, one of his rap artists had been wanting to jump on the recent bandwagon and be paired with a female vocalist for a couple of pieces. Over lunch, the rap artist had been contacted and stated he was willing to try working with Ashley. To her benefit, it would give her a more immediate income while they found songs for her to perform with her new band.

Kim looked at Ashley, but only got a shrug in response. So, using the tips she received earlier from her phone call to Jon, she negotiated Ashley's share of the sales, giving her a higher percentage on the singles than the album. And, she reasserted that Ashley would be available to travel on all her breaks, but had to give up a day in the deal, making two days before and only one day after Christmas and Easter off-limits. Ashley was agreeable to all this, but wanted to clarify one thing. She was happy that she wouldn't have to do regular cover work at bars, but she still missed it periodically. Matt said that she was free to perform as she chose.

Ashley signed the revised contract and asked when the recording for the "rap guy" would take place, and Matt slid over the music, saying she could look it over tonight and start Friday. Being in a happy mood, Ashley said she could do it now by sight-reading. Matt was used to new performers being over-confident and cocky while he was starting this company up. He learned that the best way to knock them back to the proper level was to call them on it.

"Studio 2 is available, so I'll get the recording technician and we can get started," he bluffed with a sly grin.

This was where the bravado usually evaporated, and he fully expected some stuttering to come from the pretty redhead. Kim nearly swallowed her tongue, wondering how Ashley was going to get out of this one. But, Ashley's mouth got her into it, Kim figured it might be amusing to watch her try to spin her way out.

Instead of faltering, Ashley took the bait as a command from her boss, and without blinking, she waved to him to lead the way. Matt shot Kim a victory look. He was confident he had snared another novice into one of his 'life lessons'.

Excited about being behind a microphone again, Ashley was a little cocky and in a bit of a playful mood. She donned the headphones and mocked into the microphone, "Yo yo! Ashley in the house!"

Just then an even cockier young man strutted into the sound room, embroidered jeans so loose and low, he had to hold them up by hand at the front. "Strawberry Shortcake, you know you ain't here to try to rap, right?"

Ashley gave him a once-over and retorted, "Your apparel choice says I could probably do a lot of things, including rap, better than you...Or is your mother that bad at picking your clothing size?"

Matt was worried that the exchange might escalate into an all-out brawl, so he told Jerry, the recording engineer, to get Ashley out and record her part separately. Jerry reached for the mic button, but Kim grabbed his wrist.

"Wait, she can hold her own. Let's just see how it goes," she said.

The wannabe rapper decided his next jab would be more personal to trump Ashley's insult. "Tell me, little sister. Does your carpet match your drapes?"

Ashley let out a little chuckle. "It does, not that you'll ever get to see to confirm it."

"You don't think I could get into your pants?"

"Oh, it's not that. If you take one step toward my waist, you won't have any eyeballs to enjoy it. Don't hate on shortie, now." Ashley flicked out her fingers like a cat would its claws, showing her fingernails that were longer now that she wasn't cheering. It also displayed her wedding ring set nicely.

He cocked his head to the side, his way of showing respect. "A'ight, Red, I hear ya." He looked at the glass of the booth. "We ready to do this?" Then, in a sneer to Ashley, "Let's see what you got."

Kim looked at Jerry. "See what I mean?"

Jerry looked down at the hand that was still clasping his wrist lightly. Kim let go, embarrassed that she didn't realize her hand was still there. He flirted that she could leave it as long as she wanted, but receiving no response, he turned to the task at hand.

Ashley worked with the rapper for over an hour on the song. While Matt and Jerry were replaying each take, she found out that her new partner's name was Mike. That surprised her somewhat, and she told him that the way he strutted and talked, she expected some trumped up moniker like 'Lil Wade or Mad Bling. He laughed and confessed that he had considered something like that, but he wanted to "be real." After all, plain old "Mike" WOULD be different than what other artists were doing, especially in his target market. This led into other conversations and he ended up asking Ashley who the "tart" was in the booth.

"Tart? That's a new one."

"Yeah, you know. Tart. Like a pastry?"

Ashley smiled. "I've heard Kim described as a lot of things, but a pastry isn't one of them." She paused while she thought on this, and her mind also floated to how Kim tasted. "You know, tart is perfect, though. She's my agent."

"Agent? Haven't seen her around here before. How long has she been working for you?"

"Today."

"Today? How long she been doing this?"

"Today." Ashley chuckled.

"Ya know, this ain't some high school project. Like Rod said in Jerry Maguire, This isn't show friends, it's show business."

"I do know. I have a feeling about Kim there; she altered my contract to my liking. I get a knack about people, and I'm usually right."

Mike jutted his jaw. "Is that so? What do you think about me?"

Ashley smiled. "You're a paper tiger. You want others to think you're tough and confident, but inside you're all heart. You're sweet."

Mike puffed up and became animated. "Paper tiger? Girl, you don't know anything about me! I can hang with the best. I come from the streets! Paper tiger, psht."

"I do know what my instincts tell me, and I know I'm right. Especially now."

"What makes you say that?"

"If you weren't sweet, you would have attacked that I said so. Then you would have probably stormed out of the room. But, you're still sitting there, aren't you?"

"Whatever. I ain't talking to you no more," Mike sulked. Ashley just grinned at him.

Matt had Jerry tell them that the last take ended up being perfect, and to call it a day. Ashley asked that they play the piece and Jerry did so over the speakers. Mike bobbed his head rhythmically as it played. When it ended, Ashley noticed Mike had an odd grin.

"What?"

Mike got up and grabbed his waistband as he sauntered out. "You sure can sing, I'll give you that," he said as he slipped out the studio door.

Jerry about knocked over two assistants and four interns on his way to the front door. It took him a few minutes to gather up some courage before he had to run through the office to catch the two girls before they left, and he called out Kim's name just as they opened the door.

After Ashley finished eating the meal she ordered through room service, she called Joe. They related to each other the trials of the day, and Joe was surprised by her pairing up with a rap artist, but was happy that it seemed to be going well so far. He needled her about not hitting the clubs with Kim, but Ashley surprised him again by saying Kim had scored a date with the recording technician. Jasmine was quick to snatch Joe's phone when he relayed that tidbit, and Ashley ended up describing how Kim was so chatty and nervous while she got ready. After a few minutes of rehashing the daily events with Jasmine, Ashley sent her love over the cellular airways to them both.

* * *

Joe tried his best to make a normal Thanksgiving. He had invited Ashley's parents over, as well as Jill's mom, and Jasmine's folks, but predictably only his in-laws accepted. Mrs. Roberts did her best to keep up with Jasmine, who was helping Joe in the kitchen. She had given up on staying with Joe's pace. He barely seemed to move, yet he flew through the prep work in front of him. Commander Roberts, meanwhile, couldn't have been happier. Well, only happier if Ashley were there. He was parked in the den, watching football previews with Jill, Cindy, and Doug. He didn't even mind the hyper chatter when two of the local sorority sisters showed up on an open invitation given to them from Ashley. He thought it was funny that the room fell silent and the girls directed their attention to the TV whenever ESPN re-ran the preview of Saturday's Florida-Florida State game.

"I still say we'd be ranked number one instead of three if you were playing, Joe," Jill quipped loudly toward the kitchen.

"I'm not playing this year, Jill!" he shot back. "Besides, they'd never play me as a true freshman."

The college girls stared, even Jasmine, but it was his mother-in-law who asked what they were thinking. "You said, 'This year'...Are you thinking about starting to play again next year, Joe?"

"I've been asked to, yes."

The girls pranced into the kitchen, peppering him with questions of who asked and what was said. He was elusive and said only that one of the coaches saw him on campus one late afternoon and told him that the opportunity was still on the table. After he focused back on assembling the feast to be set in the oven, and the girls figured he wouldn't say any more, the two visiting schoolmates asked if the hype surrounding him the previous year was warranted. Joe only smiled at that, but even Ashley's parents chimed in with their own versions of Joe's heroics on the field.

The mid-afternoon dinner was happy, but Ashley and Kim were clearly missed. In fact, Joe even felt like he was invading Cindy's house, and to make up for it, he had her say the blessing. Everyone pitched in afterward to clean up, and followed Jasmine's suggestion starting a new tradition of playing touch football until the evening pro game started on TV. Later, the three guys settled into watching the night games while the ladies idled away the time playing pool and gossiping in the game room. It was a fun day, but occasionally someone would comment that they wished Ashley and Kim could have been there.

Ashley and Kim had slept in, making for a rushed start to the morning, and now Kim was riding with Ashley for her appointment at the studio. The day was booked solid with appearances for the release of the Christmas CD, and in the car, a radio station played one of the songs as a preview.

"It sounds better than you described it," Kim said when the song was over, uttering her first meaningful thoughts to Ashley this morning.

"Thanks," Ashley beamed. "How was the date?"

Kim shrugged. "It was fine."

"Couldn't have been all that fine. You were back early."

"Half past midnight is NOT early!" Kim protested defiantly. "I thought you were asleep."

"I was until your moo self trampled onto the bed. For a former cheerleader, you're not exactly light-footed."

photodad
photodad
492 Followers