An Hour Alone

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She said no thanks and walked off to the ladies. He stood his ground, we ignored him. When she came back he tried again, she said no, he insisted, Mac stood and said he's had his answer, probably best to leave it at that. The other guys stood, I looked at him as I stood. He got the message, threw his business card on the table and left. Holly picked up the card and tore it in half, flicking it in the bin by the door. She apologised to us for the intrusion, we all said it was OK.

A month later and we were a must see gig, Local and National Press had a handle on us, and we had more offers from agents and chancers. They all left empty handed. But we rode that high for all it was worth. One night Holly left us at the end of the third set to change out of her outfit, she came back in Jeans and T-shirt with a pair of tasseled loafers on her feet. She asked to speak to me after we'd been paid and Dave said we could use the room again.

We sat either side of the table and she poured her heart out to me. She was an only child, her Mum had struggled to bring her up and work, as Daddy was non existent. Her Mum would only say that her father didn't know that Naomi had been pregnant and she didn't want to have to deal with the whole paternity thing. She obviously loved Holly to distraction and never ever resented the changes this had forced on her life. Holly had dug around, mostly talking to Gill, Naomi's best friend from way back when. She had asked around the family, but nothing seemed to fit. Singing she discovered was her way of coping and God had blessed her with a perfect set of pipes.

I was nodding and thinking, no surely not.

"what did you say your name was, Arden. I remember Naomi vaguely but not that well but Arden is a name I can't recall."

"Oh Mums family name is Phillips, I'm Arden because that's where I was born, Henley-in-Arden, at an Aunts place. " she looked at me.

"Oh My God, Neemy, Neemy Phillips, oh shit I do recall your mum now."

"Don, did.. did you and Mum, err.. did you and my Mum... ever, you know.." she waggled her head, expecting me to guess what she was stuck with saying.

"We went out a few times, I was back from college and she and Gill were great friends, but Neemy?"

"What, what are you implying?"

"Honey, your Mum and I went out and yes we were quite intimate..."

"You shagged my Mum?"

"Well I would prefer that we say we made love, we thought we loved each other, but I went back to College and she sort of disappeared out of my life."

"Could you be my Father?"

"I guess so, we were fairly intense in those days, it's possible. Do you want me to take a paternity test?"

"Would you?"

"Holly if it helps you then yes I would."

"Really that easily, you'd just go and have it done."

"Holly, you're a beautiful kid and if I were your Dad, I would be very proud of you."

"Really, you think that, but you hardly know me."

"Kid, I know you, I've seen you perform and I've seen your highs and lows."

I left it there for a moment.

"Speak to your Mum, ask Naomi first. If she says yes, I'll do it, no question."

Holly nodded, squeezed my hands and grinning got up and put her coat on. Her outfits were on hangers on the coat hooks on the wall.

"Same time tomorrow?"

"Same time tomorrow."

"Night Don."

"Goodnight Holly."

We kissed cheeks and she left. I waited ten minutes and walked out. It was cold and I had a ten minute walk to the car. I strode off, hunched up against the weather. A battered vauxhall cruised to the curb by me.

"Can I give you a lift?"

I looked at Holly as she leaned across from the drivers seat.

"Thanks but your smiles the only lift I needed, night Holly."

"Goodnight Don."

She drove off and I grinned.

I had gone in early the next day, determined to sort out a new solo for a number in the third set. I had barely started when I heard footsteps clump up to the piano. Looking up I saw Naomi and she looked pissed. I smiled and stood, she pushed me down again.

"I don't know what you think you're doing, but I think it's best if you stayed out of my daughters personal life."

"Neemy what in hell's going on with you?"

"My name's Naomi, not Neemy, nobody calls me that now."

Neemy, Naomi, whatever, what's your beef?"

"My beef is itinerant musicians who go poking their noses into my business. Butt out buster, or you and me are going to fall out big time. Got it."

To emphasize this she was poking me in the chest, now that really raises a red flag for me. I stood and towered over her by at least a foot.

"Listen Little Miss Pain in the Arse, don't come into my world and start dictating to me what I can and can't do, if you don't like it fuck off!"

I gave her a gentle nudge, she whipped her hand across my face, I retaliated, she shrieked and held her hand to the red mark on her right cheek.

"You arrogant Prick!" she screamed and launched herself at me.

I held my arms up, elbows bent to protect my face and chest. She rained blows down on me slaps and punches, shouting and screaming. I caught a glimpse of Dave, head in hands leaning on the bar, a wry grin on his face.

"Naomi, stop this, this is childish, stop! look..."

Using my timing I waited and grabbed her wrists, she was still trying to hit me, so I just held on until she gave up the struggle. I let her arms go. She stopped still then cried loudly, head in hands. I went to put my arm round her, she stepped back,

"Don't you dare try and comfort me you shit bag!" she hurled at me, her hands coming down, tears streaming down her cheeks. Fists clenched ready to fight again.

"OK, you win, I'll back off, but as I said to Holly, I would be proud to be her Dad."

I saw Dave lift his head out of his hands, he was so enjoying this.

"Yeah right, what you mean is you'd be happy to have her as a meal ticket."

"What!!"

"You heard, this is all so that as she gets rich and famous, Daddy gets to tag along."

"you bitch, is that what you really think of me, I'm just in it for the money?"

"Well you were quicker to offer to take a paternity test than you were to take precautions."

"Ouch, and if I had there'd be no Holly, whatever else that's one good thing that came out of you and me."

"There is no you and me! There's me and Holly and not you!"

"Are you jealous, worried she might want me more than you?"

"Don't be ridiculous, why would she want you, you were never there for her, you weren't around."

"Only because I never knew. Do you think I wouldn't have wanted to be involved if I knew I had a daughter?"

"You were a stupid twenty something musician who I had a crush on, that's all."

"You missed irresponsible, shallow, worthless, didn't you?"

"I loved you, I wanted you for myself, but when it came to it I couldn't do that to you."

"Do what, share your child, ask for help, want to make a try at being a family? What?"

"All that and more, but you were so tied up in your music and going back to college and I couldn't take that away from you."

Naomi sat on the dais, feet on the bar floor, I knelt and held her, kissed her hair, told her I still loved her. She twisted and hugged me, I moved to make it easier for her. She cried a river for me.

I saw the boys enter, stop then turn round and head out again. Holly followed minutes later, saw us and made for the stage. I stepped back and she hugged Naomi, arms around her, whispering, kissing, calming. I walked to the piano and started to play, Beethoven Fuer Elise, a love song, for Neemy. Finally, Holly coaxed Naomi to her feet and they moved to a booth. I moved on to a Chopin etude, then, Satie, finally Pete Atkin's 'Between us there is Nothing'. I stopped and sat back, the tears came, I hung my head. Holly walked over, she stepped up to the stage, I stood, we hugged, I wrapped that beautiful, tough, frail body to me. Naomi, walked up to us, I reached for her, Holly sensed and joined me, we pulled her into our love.

We managed a shortened rehearsal, then all went to the Cafe, Gill joined us. Gill, Naomi and Holly were singing something, they were harmonizing so well. I'd forgotten my sister had a voice, not big or rich, but good, Naomi's was good too. I risked it all, had a word with the boys, they all grinned and agreed. I spoke to the girls and they look astonished and reticent. I persevered and cajoled them into trying it. They grinned and agreed. We had the music and had done the number in the past. The guys were up for it and back in the bar we passed three sets of music to the girls. It was an old number and they knew the tune if not all the words.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, probably for one night only, the Ardenaires." Holly said, standing between Gill and Naomi.

Bobby hit the opening and Holly and the girls sang,

"He was a famous trumpet man from out Chicago way

He had a boogie style that no one else could play

He was the top man at his craft..."

They were on their feet, shouting and jumping, the girls hit their stride and belted it out. Bobby blew as never before. We vamped the middle and threw everything at the coda. Success. The Ardenaires all bowed and swept their arms to the band, we stood, but instead of bowing applauded the girls. It was chaos, Naomi and Gill were red and embarrassed, Holly was pumped, jumping and hugging her Mum and my sister. Finally the two ladies, left the stage and Holly began to belt out "Cry".

We went into the Room at the end of a riotous first set, the whole bar room was buzzing as we slipped out. Naomi and Gill burst in, Naomi hugging Holly, Gill hugging me, then they swapped and Naomi kissed me, hard. I heard the whoops and shouts and waggled my free hand as I held Naomi close with the other. Finally we surfaced for air. Dave brought the drinks in, with two extra glasses of wine. Naomi kept her arm round me, and Holly looked radiant.

"That, was awesome." Bobby said and raised his pint.

"I am so pumped," said Mac.

"That was a cracking set, thanks." said Mike nodding at Holly.

"Why don't Mum and Gill do backing vocals in the next set." Holly looked at me wistfully.

"It comes out of your pot." Mac joked.

I squeezed Naomi's waist,

"Fine by me, wanna earn some extra cash baby?" I asked.

"Only by singing," she said and fluttered her eyelashes.

We laughed and then set out the way we could get them into the set. As it turned out it was a smart move and added a new dimension to our sound. The punters liked it, after all three pretty women are easier on the eye than four old geezers puffing away. Dave was delighted and in a very magnanimous gesture laid out seven piles of three hundred and a two hundred bonus each too.

We all knew this meant he'd made double or triple that in profit tonight. He was tight but smart enough to see a good deal when it showed up. In the end I followed Holly's car back to Naomi's place and Naomi and I spent the first of many nights together. As is usual for us musicians, Holly and I got up late, only to find Naomi, cooking and cleaning. We apologised and got stuck in so she wouldn't have to do it all. Later we all went to the Bar and new rehearsal numbers were pitched and we had time to make some changes. Looks like Naomi and Gill were going to be permanent.

Naomi and I married last August and later we moved to a new home, with Holly. Gill has met a guy and he seems a decent man. but has no musical abilities. As proved on his stag night as he crucified several numbers. I gave Gill away, as our parents had died in an accident twenty years ago. She looked radiant, and at the reception, we played, it was topped off by Gill joining us on stage for a special set. Her husband standing entranced front and centre. The highlight was an a Capella version of Neil Young's After the Goldrush. The place was electric.

I'm now sitting at the piano with Holly, sharing my stool, as usual, as we try to add a new number for the third set. Naomi and Gill are talking to the boys, just hanging waiting for the new parts. It's a big one for us, since there's a rumour that a record company rep is going to be here tonight. We've heard it before of course, but you never know one night it might be right. We wanted this to go well for Holly, she deserved it.

12