An Interlude on Athelney

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They rode on through the long spring evening and it was almost full dark when they came to Athelingaig. Edric answered the challenge of the watch and it was with relief that the tired band came to the camp. It was much changed during their absence. Ætholnoth’s men had joined with the King’s host so there were now upwards of eight hundred warriors gathered in the fort. Ælfred himself came out to meet them together with Ætholnoth and a half dozen others of the King’s Thegns.

“Edric, you’re back! And I hear from my spies that the Danes believe there are bands of three-score Saxons ranging all over Wessex! And whom do we have here?”

“Allow me to present the Lady Godgifu, daughter of Oswulf of Bradanforda, My Lord. The Lady’s escort deserted her so she accompanied us here.”

Ælfred handed her down from her horse and gave a bow.

“Lady, welcome to Athelingaig. Your father joined us not two days since. He will be pleased to see you safe for he feared you might be taken.”

“My safety is entirely due to Edric, My Lord.”

“Well, now I have need of him. Doubtless you will wish to see you father. Ceolwulf here will take you to him. Come, Edric, for we have much to discuss.”

With that the King strode off. Edric turned to Godgifu and the look that passed between spoke more than words. “Later, “ was all he said and she nodded. He made his report to the King and his War Council in a few terse sentences. “And so, My Lord, we got as far east as Wiltun before turning back. I sent word also into Hamtunshire and I believe such of their men who have not fled will join with us at Egbert’s Stone. I am sure of the men of Wiltunshire.”

“You have done well, Edric,“ the King replied. “I had not thought you would get so far. Now Wessex knows I am neither dead nor fled! Whitsun will bring a reckoning. Now, will you swear to me and be my man?”

So it was that Edric the ni-thing became Ceorl to Ælfred of Wessex. In the days that followed he saw little of Godgifu. The King kept him busy with constant forays against the Danes. Ælfred’s men would strike out of the forests or in the darkness, keeping the enemy off balance. He was wounded once, in a sharp fight near Ceoddor. And then there were the drills.

Ælfred had visited Rome twice as a young man and was much impressed with both the city and its history. He now taught the Saxons to fight in a moving Shield Wall, like the Roman ‘tortoise’. He divided his army into two parts and four hundred men locked arms in each square. Those on the outside held shields and axes, the inner ranks thrust with spears between the wall of shields. No Saxon had seen the like. They had always fought in the Shield Wall but chose their ground and stood under the banners. Now they could manoeuvre in fighting formation. The warriors hated the drills but were itching to put them into practice.

As May rolled on, messengers began to arrive at the camp with more frequency. The men of Wessex were responding to their King’s call. Simple reckoning said that there would be five thousand to meet the King at Egbert’s Stone. One evening, Ælfred summoned the leaders of his host and told them to prepare. They would march from Athelingaig for the last time in just two more days.

Those two days passed in a mad blur for Edric and his companions. The King’s preparations were meticulous and no detail must be overlooked, however small. He had barely been able to snatch a few words with Godgifu but there was now an understanding between them. If Edric survived the coming battle, he would speak to Oswulf. As always with him, his duty came first and he put such thoughts far from his mind as he went about his tasks.

Thus it was, on that last night before the army’s departure, that Godgifu slipped quietly into his hut. Edric sat upon his pallet in surprise. “Godgifu, what are you doing here? It is not seemly…” She placed a finger to his lips. “Hush, my man, and listen,” she said. “Do you suppose I am some green girl? I am twenty three years old and I have thought this over. My mind’s made up. I will not go to my grave a virgin. If you should fall I will take the veil but at least I will know love before I do so!”

She took a flint and steel and lit a rush light, filling the hut with a warm, soft light. Turning back to him, she stripped off her dress and stood before him. He thought his heart would burst its bounds and choke him. He had no voice. Her body was bathed in a golden glow. Her breasts were large and swung outwards from her chest. He felt his pulse race as it did when he stood in the Shield Wall. His eyes were drawn to the round flare of her hips, down her slightly domed stomach to the crown of curls at its base. He felt himself grow hard as he stripped off his trews and tunic and drew her down to the pallet beside him.

She ran her fingers lightly over his body, touching the hard muscles and the scarred flesh. Only his back was unmarked. His eyes were wide in wonder and his breath came quickly. She felt completely in control, trusting his inherent gentleness. She inclined her head and kissed him, feeling his beard on her cheek as she did so. It was softer than she expected. Passion rose in her and she kissed him again, harder this time, thrusting her tongue into his mouth. She took his lower lip between her teeth and bit down softly. He uttered a low groan but she knew it was not pain.

His hands moved to her breasts and he felt their soft weight. She inhaled sharply as he took a nipple in his mouth and sucked at her lightly. He teased at it with his tongue and teeth and it was now she who moaned aloud. His hands stroked the rounded swelling of her buttocks and she felt his strength as he lifted her easily to lie on top of him. She could feel his hardness pressing against her and she thrust towards it with her hips. “Slowly, my love,” he whispered and she relaxed a little, luxuriating in the new sensations invading her body in waves as he stroked the moistened curls and slipped a finger gently into her cleft. She gasped as his questing finger found its target and he gently rubbed the little knot. She could wait no longer. She rose above him and grasping him with one hand, thrust down suddenly. A flash of pain shot through her but he was through the barrier. She scarcely had time to feel it.

His hips thrust up to meet her and he seized her buttocks, pulling her forwards and downwards until their bodies met. She almost screamed at the sudden shock but already he was lifting her away and she found herself falling easily into the rhythm. It was like riding a wild horse, she thought, or better yet, a dragon.

He bent forward and captured a gently swaying breast with his mouth. The sensation flashed like lightning through her body, as if there was a direct connection between her nipple and her loins. All conscious thought had left her now; she was only aware of the demands of her body and the rising tide of feeling deep within her. She felt his teeth graze her nipple and it pushed her over the brink. She screamed aloud as the climax hit her. She looked down at his face and saw it contorted with passion as he followed her to fulfilment.

Thus it was that her father found them, summoned by the sounds of her passion. The old Thegn’s face purpled with rage. “ A rape!” He bellowed, “ A rape!” This brought others running and before they knew it, Edric had been seized and dragged naked from the hut. Oswulf would have killed him out of hand but Hereward of Middletun stepped between the maddened Thegn and his intended victim.

“Come now, Oswulf, you know that is not the King’s law.”

“Law or not, I’ll have this bastard’s life! She was to take the veil! He has despoiled the Holy Church!”

“Take the veil, indeed!” Godgifu appeared then from the hut. She stood, naked and proud, before the assembled company.” And if there was rape, well, it was I that did it! I went to Edric willingly and would do so again.”

Edric raised his head. His initial sense of shame was passing. “I meant no insult to you. Lord Oswulf. I had planned to speak to you. Godgifu and I are not children. We would wed. Will you have me for a good-son?”

Oswulf spat. “ I’d sooner have you as carrion!”

Ælfred’s voice then cut across the hubbub. “Oswulf, it is my wish that Edric lives a while longer yet.” He took off his cloak, worn against the evening chill and draped it about Godgifu with a smile. “It seems to me, Lord Oswulf, that all would be best served by a marriage. I can see no rape here and know it is not Edric’s way. What say you?”

Oswulf still bridled and fulminated but gave a grudging nod. “Let him have the sow.” Edric stepped forward and grabbed the Thegn by his tunic. He lifted the older man bodily until their eyes were level. “You are worse than a fool,” he said. “You’ve had a treasure under your nose for years and have been blind to her. You think beauty exists only at the level of the skin. How can you have lived so long yet learned so little? You are unfit to be father to such a Lady. Hear me now. If you ever speak of your daughter without respect again, I will punch you. This is something to be feared. Ask any man in Dornwaraceaster and they will tell you I can fell an ox with one blow. I trust I make myself plain?” Godgifu had never heard him so eloquent.

Oswulf blustered. “ Did you see that? He manhandled me! He threatened me!” Hereward stepped forward and put an arm around the Thegn. “ Oswulf, “ he said with a smile, “ Consider yourself lucky to be alive. If that big ugly bastard had been naked and close enough to kiss me, I’d have died of fright!” There was a moment’s silence before the assembled crowd dissolved into gales of laughter. Edric looked furious a little while longer but found it impossible not to smile. His grin stretched until he, too, was consumed by mirth.


“Enough,“ said the King. We have serious work ahead of us on the morrow. “Edric, say your farewells to your betrothed. There will be time for love when peace is won.” Edric bowed his head in agreement. Ælfred turned to Godgifu. “My Lady, you shall have a dowry of your King and I promise you, it will be more fitting than any that old curmudgeon would provide.” She, too, bowed her head; but not before she saw Hereward’s broad wink.

The Saxons gathered at Egbert’s Stone on Whitsunday. Ælfred led them forward to a place called Ethandun. They attacked the Danes as the first rays of sunlight touched the broad downs. The moving Shield Walls took the foe by surprise but still they outnumbered Ælfred’s men. The fighting lasted most of the day. The King was everywhere, inspiring his warriors, leading counterattacks, wherever the fighting was fiercest. And ever at his side was Edric. The big warrior was magnificent that day. He seemed tireless and when, as the day grew late, the Danish host finally broke, it was Edric who led the pursuit.

Guthrun and his army withdrew to a fortified camp at Cippanhamm. Cippanhamm was where it started and where it finished. After a bitter siege lasting a fortnight, Guthrun asked for terms. He gave himself up to the King’s Peace and was baptised a Christian. After swearing deep oaths and giving hostages, the Danes withdrew to the east. In his wisdom, Ælfred granted them settlement rights in Danelaw. So the year of grace eight hundred and seventy eight ended with Wessex free and Danish power humbled for the nonce. It would not remain so.

Edric and Godgifu were married at Lammass. The bulge in her belly was noticed by all but mentioned by none, certainly not by her father!

12