An Ode to Uncertainty Ch. 21-22

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That must be Mistress Jora, Jarl thought looking back at the elderly woman.

Last time he had seen her she had been a young woman, but the eyes were the same.

"I am headmistress Sirka," said the woman opposite him.

So that is Sirka, Jarl thought.

She was a stunning woman that seemed completely ageless. Long, perfectly straight platinum-blonde hair ran down over her shoulders and her eyes were a dark blue of the vast oceans. Jarl shivered slightly as she locked eyes with him. If his head hadn't been aching so much, he probably would have gotten an erection just by looking at her. Probably for the best that he had drunk as much as he had.

"You are both here today to answer the accusations against you with regards to breaking the laws of the College. Are you aware of the charges against you?"

Jarl saw the Idiot nodding in the corner of his eye. He did the same. Best not to look too stupid.

"Very well. We will proceed. Acting as accuser today is Master Olgric."

Jarl winced. The wiry old man stood up, not letting his gaze shift from Jarl. Jarl decided to look at headmistress Sirka instead. He shouldn't have done that. A wave of energy seemed to connect the two as she held his gaze. For a moment it felt like he was falling into her. He grabbed for the table as not to fall over.

Best look down at the table instead, he thought finding a particularly interesting pattern in the oaken board.

Master Olgric started laying out the accusations against them. Jarl didn't listen. He was far too occupied trying not to empty the contents of his stomach over the assembly. He caught a few stray words. Irresponsible was one that he heard more than once. Reckless. And disgrace. There was apparently a lot of disgrace.

Time passed. Jarl was uncertain if five drops had passed, or a bell. The Masters and Mistresses discussed. Him and the Idiot just sat there in silence.

"Shall we pass a verdict?"

Jarl blinked. That had been Headmistress Sirka. He should probably listen to this. Lifting his eyes, he swallowed.

"Guilty," came the first voice.

Was that Mistress Jora?

"Guilty. Guilty. Guilty," the words came one after the other.

"Guilty," said Headmistress Sirka.

Jarl looked at Master Cerdic who was looking straight ahead. He was the only one that hadn't said anything.

"Guilty," he said finally.

Jarl sat there in stunned silence. The only satisfaction was that the Idiot was even paler than him. And he probably wasn't even hungover.

"Very well," Headmistress Sirka said with a heavy voice. "Considering that this the first infraction for the both of you. I will not expel you at this time. I hereby sentence you to a public whipping. Ten lashes of a leather strap. To be executed tomorrow at noon."

Jarl blinked. Whipped? In public? That was for common criminals. He shivered. His mind cleared within a few heartbeats. What would his father say? No. He was dead. But he would still turn in his grave if he knew his son had been flogged in public. And his brother. Another shiver ran through him. Jorgrim would find out. He would disown Jarl. No. It couldn't happen. He was vaguely aware that the council were still talking.

"I will not."

His words sent the room into utter silence. He felt everyone's eyes on him. The most powerful magicians in the world. All looking straight at him. It was all he could do not to vomit.

"You will not what?" came Headmistress Sirka's voice as if wrapped in barbed wire.

Jarl swallowed. Then he met her eyes. For once in his life he had to take a stand.

"I will not be whipped," he said shaking his head. "You will have to expel me."

If the room had felt oppressive before it was nothing to what it felt now. Sweat trickled down Jarl's brow. But he didn't flinch. His eyes stared dead straight at Headmistress Sirka. She looked completely calm. At the corner of his eye, he saw Master Cerdic exchange a look with Mistress Lorelee. And he saw the Idiot smiling gleefully at him.

I should have dropped that statue on his head.

"Well. We can't have that, now can we," came his mentor's gravelly voice.

Jarl glanced sideways at Cerdic and Lorelee. They were still looking at each other.

"Could I suggest," Cerdic said, smiling at Sirka. "That we commute acolyte Jarl's sentence to a private punishment. Carried out by yourself?"

The Headmistress looked at Cerdic. Then at Lorelee. Jarl felt his stomach clench. He really needed to use a restroom right about now.

"Very well. The Acolyte's sentence is commuted to a private punishment that I see fitting."

Jarl blinked. Private punishment? He looked at the ageless woman in front of him.

"Are we agreed?"

It took a moment for Jarl to realize that she had spoken to him.

Private punishment? How bad can it be?

He nodded.