An Officer and a Gentleman-1777 Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Very well. Good evening, Major." He began to walk away with Nancy.

"Sir Digby, may I have a word with you? General Burgoyne has asked me to speak to you on his behalf concerning his upcoming plans."

Sir Digby stopped and whispered something in Nancy's ear. She smiled and nodded and walked into the crowded room. Sir Digby began to circle Jeffrey, looking him up and down as if inspecting a fine horse. As he continued to circle he began to talk. "I know all about you, Major, and your past relationship with my wife."

"Sir, nothing happened," Jeffrey interjected.

"Silence." Sir Digby raised his hand. "I have no doubts that you are brave but you involve yourself in duels and have had numerous amorous affairs. A very sorted background. I'll have you know Sir Phillip was a friend of mine. Now with the General just across the room, he asks you, a lowly major, to speak to me. What do you want of me? Ask but be quick about it."

Jeffrey stood ramrod straight and looked straight ahead. "The General requests that when you write to Lord Howe about the plan you put in the strongest terms how much his cooperation is needed for the plans success."

"I will think about it as it seems like a fair request," Sir Digby said. He then moved very close to Jeffrey who could smell alcohol on his breath. "About my wife, I have broken greater men than you for lesser offensives. Step carefully, Major."

Jeffrey clenched his fists at his side. 'How dare he," he thought. But he suddenly realized that Sir Digby held all the cards. Being a good whist player, Jeffrey knew when he had a bad hand and try as he might he just couldn't win. He knew in his heart Nancy loved him and when she met him later it would be confirmed. "Damn Sir Digby! A man like that doesn't deserve a woman like her," he thought.

For the rest of the evening he kept his distance from both Sir Digby and Nancy. A few times he was able to make eye contact with her and she smiled in return. As the evening grew late he began to be concerned if they could meet again but when she slipped from the room, he knew the time was now.

He hurried to the garden expecting to meet her there but she wasn't there. He began to pace in anticipation. She will come he told himself. Suddenly he heard footsteps on the gravel walk. "Nancy?"

"No, sir," a female voice replied. "Its Lady Catherine Grey, Major. Do you remember me?"

"Yes, of course I do. You were a dear friend of Nancy's but then you were Catherine Westwood, right," Jeffrey replied. "We spent some happy times together, we three."

"You remember," Catherine said. She stepped into the light. "Nancy isn't coming, Jeffrey. She said I was to find you here and give you this note." With that she handed him a folded piece of paper.

He took it and moved near one of the Chinese lanterns hanging nearby. It was written on foolscap and it appeared to be hastily written.

My dearest Jeffrey, I can not come to you tho my Heart commands me to. Yes, I still love you and always will but our Time has passed. Please do not think ill of me but it is for the best that we forever part. Remember me in your Heart. Nancy.

He read the note again and then looked at Catherine. Confused, he asked, "What does this mean?"

Catherine rested her hand on his arm, "It means that what once was between you and Nancy is gone. She has married and you must accept that. I'm sorry."

Again he read the note, hoping it might say something different.

Catherine spoke softly. "I'm very sorry. Is there anything I can do?"

He looked at her and smiled weakly. "No, you have done enough. Thank you. Please tell Lady Stange that I apologize for any pain I have caused her and I will abide by her wishes. Good evening, Lady Catherine and thank you again."

Jeffrey returned to the crowded room and grabbing the first glass he could find, downed it quickly. He wanted to leave but knew he must await the General and his lady. He did see Sir Digby who gave him a sly smile and a brief nod as a show of recognition. It was the gesture of man who knew he had beaten his rival.

"Well Major," General Burgoyne said, "We accomplished as much as we could here. God, how I hate talking to these men. They know nothing of war yet we who do must rely on them for help. Did you talk to Sir Digby?"

"Yes General. He said he would consider it."

The General grabbed Jeffrey's arm. "He didn't definitely say he would?"

"General Burgoyne, you know how the people act. They never say anything definite." Jeffrey then lied. "He will write the letter. I believe I convinced him of its importance."

"Good then we must be off. Our ship leaves in three days and we have much to do."

As they left, Jeffrey turned around hoping for one last glimpse of Nancy. It was in vain.

12