An Officer and a Gentleman-1777 Ch. 10

Story Info
The Lovers are torn apart.
3.6k words
4.64
10.8k
2

Part 9 of the 9 part series

Updated 08/17/2020
Created 07/12/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

By the time Ayres got Jeffrey back to camp, the Major had recovered from the shock of being hit. As he dismounted, he shook his head and cleared the cobwebs.

"Are you sure that you are alright, sir." Ayres asked. "That was a nasty one."

"Yes, Ayres, I'm alright," Jeffrey replied. "And thank you, Corporal. I won't forget this."

"Just doing what was right, sir. It is too bad about Major Acland."

Jeffrey looked at the Corporal. He knew Acland had been hit but he didn't know how badly. "What about the Major. Is he dead?"

"No, sir, I don't think so but he fell between us and the rebels. We tried to get him but couldn't. I believe he was taken prisoner."

"Thank you, Ayres. I think you better find your battalion. They are going to need you."

As Ayres headed off, Jeffrey looked around. The camp was full of confusion. Soldiers were milling around, looking for their units, women and children were running everywhere, some screaming, others looking for their men. At this moment he was just a spectator watching events around him.

He coughed and felt the pain in his chest. His whole body ached and he still felt woozy. He still was unclear what had happened. Looking at his chest, he noticed that brass shield on his baldric had been struck by a ball. It was located directly in the center of his chest and now had a large dent in it. He slipped the baldric over his head and examined it. The ball had hit it almost dead center and even though it didn't penetrate it, it did dent it. He opened his coat then his shirt. The skin wasn't broken but there was a large bruise. He checked the cross Katrina had given him. Even though it took some of the force, it wasn't damaged. She was right; it did bring him good luck.

It didn't take much to realize that the Army had taken a major defeat and had failed to break through the American lines. There were only two options left; retreat as quickly as possible hoping to reach Ticonderoga or surrender. With each passing hour, it was obvious that this Army could not gather itself together and retreat quickly. Surrender was becoming the only option left.

Jeffrey decided above all things that he must find Katrina. The Army be damned at this time. He hurried to Riedesel's HQ but found only confusion there. General Fraser had been brought here and he lay dying in a front room being cared for by the Baroness. Katrina could not be found there so he hurried over to see if she was with Lady Acland.

There he found confusion of a different sort. Major Acland had been taken prisoner after his wounding and a flag of truce had been sent to Lady Acland telling her of his plight. She decided she must go to him and was preparing to do so. Jeffrey found Katrina helping her pack and taking care of the Acland's daughter. He pulled her aside.

She hugged him. "Oh thank God, you're alright. I heard such terrible things."

"I'm alright but there is no time to waste. You must get away from here." Jeffrey said holding her at arm's length.

"But why, my love? I should remain with you."

"Listen," he pleaded. "Things here are only going to get worse. There is most likely going to one more battle and we cannot win it. The safest place for you is with Lady Acland and the Americans."

"I don't understand," Katrina said shaking her head.

"Trust me darling. It is the right thing. I only want your safety. I know Lady Harriett won't object. I think she will welcome you. I will smooth it out with the Baroness. Please Katrina." Jeffrey hugged her tight.

"I will go only because you think it right but..."

Jeffrey cut her off by kissing her. "Remember, I love you Katrina."

The rain had let up for the time being but there still rumbles of thunder rebounding off the mountains. Sporadic artillery fire competed with it. A loaded coach made its way slowly along the river road. Inside were Lady Acland, her mother, her daughter, and Katrina, each in a heavy riding cloak and riding in silence. Despite the light rain, Katrina's gloved hand was outside the coach holding the hand of her love. Jeffrey decided to accompany the coach as far as he could. He knew this was the right thing to do but pain it was causing was almost unbearable. They hadn't spoken as he helped her into the coach and had said nothing since.

"Halt, who goes there?" a nasally voice called out in the dark.

"Lady Acland and party. We have a pass," Jeffrey answered.

An officer in a faded blue coat stepped forward. "Advance and be recognized."

Jeffrey dismounted. He grimaced as the pain shot through him. He was bruised from the shot and falling from the horse. His body ached but he needed to be strong, to finish this. He walked to the officer. "Here is a safe pass from General Burgoyne. Your General Gates has agreed to it. In the coach is Lady Acland, her daughter, Lady Fox-Strange, and the Countess von Buskirk. It has all been arraigned."

"I see," said the officer, "And who are you?"

"I am Major Tremaine, General Burgoyne's staff."

"And you are not accompanying them?" the officer asked.

"No. This is as far as I go."

"Very well. Everything seems to be in order. They may pass."

Jeffrey walked back to the coach and leaned in the window. "Everything is taken care of, Lady Acland," he said. "May I speak to Katrina before you go?"

"Of course, Major."

He helped Katrina down from the coach. "Here is L50 and a letter of credit, it should help. Also here is a letter of introduction and the address of my sister's home in London. When you reach England, make your way there; I will be waiting for you. Stay with Lady Acland. You will be safe."

Katrina threw her arms around him. "I have waited all my life to find my love and now I must leave you. I can't." She looked up at him. The rain on her face hid her tears.

"You must, my love. We will be together again. I promise." He slid his ring, the one with the family crest, off his finger. He removed her glove and slid it on her finger. "It is yours as much as it is mine."

"Oh meine Liebe!" She kissed him and then quickly re-entered the coach.

Jeffrey banged on the coach's side. "Driver, drive on!"

"Good of you to join us, Major," General Burgoyne said as Jeffrey slipped into the room. He addressed the others. "It is obvious that yesterday did not go as well as I hoped. Therefore there is only one option left. This Army will fall back to Ticonderoga and regroup there."

"Retreat?" said Baron Riedesel.

"Not a retreat, my dear Baron," the General corrected him. "A withdrawal to regroup and reorganize."

"I've heard the rebels have retaken Ticonderoga," General Phillips added.

"We have heard nothing definite so we must believe we still hold it." Burgoyne placed two letters on the table. "I have written two letters, one to General Clinton in New York and the other to the commander at Ticonderoga. The one to Clinton is to inform him that we can't reach Albany and the other is to inform the commander of Ticonderoga we are coming. Needless to say, this will be very dangerous and I can't order any one to carry them."

Lt. Daniel Taylor, 9th Regiment, stepped forward. "I'll go, sir."

"Very good. Here is the New York letter. Any others?"

Jeffrey couldn't believe what he was saying, "I'll take it, sir." He reached out and took the remaining letter.

"Good, good," the General said. "All is set then. The Army will move tomorrow morning. Anything else?" No one answered. "Good, time is important. Dismissed."

The General turned to Jeffrey and Lt. Taylor. "What you are undertaking will be difficult but extremely important. You must get through. Good luck." He shook their hands.

"So, Major, I'm volunteering, sir?" Corporal Ayres stood in front of Jeffrey.

"Yes, Corporal, you are." Jeffrey replied. "I need a good man with me and I thought of you. You need a full haversack, canteen, and a blanket roll. The only weapons you will need are a tomahawk and knife. I will give you one of my pistols. Go to the hospital and get a coat from one of Loyalist wounded. Green, brown, black, it doesn't matter. Be back here as soon as possible. Understood?"

"Yes, sir." Ayres saluted and left.

Jeffrey looked around the room. He had packed and labeled his trunk and made sure everything was ready to be loaded on to the HQ's wagons. All his personal effects he carried in his pocket. Surprising there was very little. He only had the one letter from home and a few keepsakes. He had packed very little except for his uniforms. He was bringing his best one with him, wrapped in his blanket roll. He wasn't sure why but it seemed the right one to bring.

He saw Lt. Taylor off about an hour ago. Taylor had decided to go dressed as a poor farmer hoping he could pass as one. Jeffrey had decided against that. Except for not wearing his scarlet coat, he was going as a British officer carrying dispatches. It might lessen his chances of getting through but if he was captured it would be as an officer, not a spy.

He was satisfied. He sat down on the trunk and waited. As he did he had a few minutes to think. He felt that having Katrina go with Lady Acland was the right move. It got her away from here and as long as she was with her she would be able to return to England. There they would be reunited.

As to undertaking this, he had no clear reason. It wasn't a death wish. No it was something he couldn't explain to himself. Perhaps he just felt he had to get away.

Corporal Ayres appeared at the door, startling him. "Ready, sir."

"Good," Jeffrey said rising from the trunk. He looked the Corporal over. "Very good. Here is my pistol. Take good care of it. Let's be off."

Before they could, a man blocked his way. "Captain Billy! What are you doing here?"

Captain Billy was one of the braves who accompanied Jeffrey on the scout to Fort Ticonderoga. "Heard, you need guide. I guide."

How Billy had heard was a mystery but here he was. Jeffrey had believed all the natives had left but here was one who didn't. "Very well, we can use you."

The three men slipped into the gathering darkness.

A lot of things became obvious within the first hour of their trek. There were large numbers of rebel troops in the area and it was almost impossible to be any where near the roads as there were patrols on them. Without Billy's help, the two British soldiers would not have gone far without being captured. It was also plain to see that Burgoyne's plan of marching to Ticonderoga was not going to happen. Even if the Fort hadn't fallen into American hands, there were too many rebels for the Army to just brush aside.

The men swung west in a wide arc to avoid being found. The nights were getting colder but they decided no fires until they reached Ticonderoga. If it had fallen, then they would push on to Crown Point with no fires until then. The second night there was a heavy frost with rime on the grass and ice on the edges of streams. They forded the upper Hudson, chest deep, and because of the cold, they moved all night. By morning they were exhausted but pushed on until the sun was high in the sky. Then they stopped and rested, the sun warming their bodies.

By the morning of the fifth day, they were on Rattlesnake Mountain, the same mountain Jeffrey had climbed on his scout. They were about halfway to the summit, as they feared there might be an outpost on the top. As the sun cleared the eastern hills, it was plain that the British no longer held the fort.

"Now what, sir?" Ayres asked.

"We push on to Crown Point." Jeffrey answered.

"Begging the Major's pardon but can we rest here?" Ayres wondered. "It seems like we failed, through no fault of our own, sir and the need to hurry, well."

Jeffrey looked across to the Fort. As the sun rose higher, it made things clearer. He cursed under his breath. Ayres was right, no need to hurry. He turned to the two men. "All right, we rest until night."

"Corporal, wake up!" Jeffrey shook Ayres' shoulder. "Wake up!"

The corporal sat up quickly. "What is it, sir?"

"Billy is gone. We better get moving quick."

"Sir, he took my haversack. Damn thievin' redskin!" Ayres cursed.

"Thank God that's all he took. It could have been your scalp. Let's go."

The two men headed off. The sun had just set behind the mountain and it was getting dark very fast.

"Sir, Begging your pardon but do you know where you're goin'?"

Jeffrey nodded. They would have cross the road then ford a small river, staying out of sight from the bridge. After that it was the outpost at Mt. Hope. From there it would have to be the road to Crown Point. It was risky but what choice did they have.

Another concern entered his mind. What if Captain Billy went the garrison and told them there were two British messengers with dispatches in the woods headed north? The whole group would be alerted and on the lookout for them.

It was two days, at least to Crown Point. They would have to move quietly but quickly.

It took three days to reach Crown Point. During the day the road was filled with traffic, mostly wagons. Jeffrey noticed the wagons went north towards Crown Point empty but returned full. It could only mean one thing. The rebels had taken it but were now abandoning it, or leaving a small detachment there. It didn't matter. It was almost seven days to the fort at St John's by foot. He didn't know if there were trails or roads that ran north. The loss of Ayres' haversack meant they be out of food by then. Their best hope was to find a canoe, a small boat or even a raft. If they didn't they might not make it.

For the past week Katrina had kept herself quite busy. Lady Acland had tended to her husband who was wounded in both legs. Luckily no bones were broken and even though infection was a possibility, with each day the chances of that dropped. There were also a number of wounded German prisoners and Katrina found herself acting as a nurse to many of them. Some of boys were so young that it made her cry to see them suffer. Every day she put on her best smile and clean clothing hoping to comfort them with her presence.

Jeffrey was right. The Americans treated them with utmost respect and kindness. The fact that she was a Countess and the others Ladies seemed to impress them. Already they had dined with the rebel General Gates who told them tales of his time in the British Army.

There were rumors swirling around the camp that Burgoyne had asked for terms of surrender. If this were true, then Jeffrey would be with her again. Every night she prayed for his safety but tonight she was troubled. She couldn't explain the feeling but something was wrong. She prayed harder tonight than she ever did.

Jeffrey and the corporal crouched in the bushes a few yards from the group that sat around a roaring fire. It was a mixed group of rebel militia and some Indians. They were cooking some game over the fire and the wind carried the aroma to where Jeffrey and Ayres waited. The corporal's stomach growled loudly. Jeffrey turned and gave him a dirty look. More importantly Jeffrey could see behind the group some canoes pulled up on the beach. Most of the group was drinking and Jeffrey hoped they get careless. They would wait until things got quiet and then make their move.

It seemed that time stood still. Finally the Indians moved away from the fire and bedded down. It wasn't long afterwards that the last militiaman nodded. Ayres wanted to move then but Jeffrey shook his head. They waited.

Finally it was time. Staying clear of the firelight, they moved towards the canoe furthest away. Carefully they made their way until they reached it. Jeffrey took the lead and waded into the water, pulling the canoe in. Ayres lifted his end off the gravel so it won't make any noise. Suddenly a brave appeared not ten yards away. They froze.

The brave relieved himself into the lake. He turned to head back to the fire. He looked their way and said something. Not receiving an answer, he walked towards Ayres and spoke again. Ayres mumbled under his breath. The brave pushed him and spoke again. This time a little louder.

The Indian hadn't noticed Jeffrey standing at the other end of the canoe. As he pushed Ayres he had turned his back to the water. Jeffrey saw his chance. He moved quickly. He grabbed the brave's scalp lock and pulled his head back. With his other, Jeffrey slid his knife along the brave's throat. He cut quickly and deeply. Blood spurted in every direction as a gurgling sound was heard.

The Indian slumped to the ground. Jeffrey put his hands under the brave's arms and motioned Ayres to take his feet. They carried him to the canoe and put him in. When this was done, they pushed the canoe into the lake, climbed in and began paddling. Looking behind them all was quiet.

Major Jeffrey Tremaine stood at attention before General Guy Carleton, Governor and commander of Canada. Carleton had General Burgoyne's letter in his hand. "You made very good time, Major. Quite remarkable considering the circumstances. Do you have anything to add?"

"Yes, sir, General."

"You may speak frankly here. Go on." The General leaned back in his chair.

"From what I saw, it is very possible that General Burgoyne has already surrendered his Army. The road to Fort Edwards was cut, Ticonderoga taken, there was no way out."

"Anything else, Major Tremaine?"

Jeffrey was tired, hungry and angry. "Yes sir. The Loyalists we were promised never arrived in large numbers. The number of Indians promised never showed. The rebels did, in great numbers. The roads were terrible, not at all what they were described as by Major Skene. Col. St Leger was forced to turn back and General Howe never showed." He stopped, realizing he may have gone to far.

"I see, Major," General Carleton smiled. "There is a ship sailing for England in two or three days. I would like you to be on it. I will be sending dispatches to Lord North. I want you to deliver them for me. I'll call you when they are ready. That is all. Dismissed."

Jeffrey saluted and left the room.

It was official. General Burgoyne and the Army surrendered. What had begun in May was now over. When Katrina heard the news, her heart skipped a beat. Jeffrey and she would be together again. Nothing else matter. She raced to find Lady Acland. She found her with her husband and an American officer.

"It is true, Major Acland," the officer said. "The British Army has surrendered and they are all prisoners under the agreement. You, sir, are not. Since you gave your parole before the official surrender, you will be free to go as soon as you are able. When it is time, arrangements will be made. Do you require anything else?"

"No, lieutenant. That will be all. Thank you." Lady Acland replied.

"Did you hear that, Lady Harriett? The Army surrendered," Katrina said.

"Yes, Katrina, It is over but I know what it means to you."

For the next few days all was in turmoil. Katrina tried to find Jeffrey but will no luck. She comforted herself by saying he will come soon but after time with no word, she became worried.

General Burgoyne paid a visit to Major Acland to see how he was recovering. He seemed in good spirits despite all that happened and was pleased to see how well the Major was doing. Katrina was present and waited until the General made to leave.

"Excuse me, General, may I inquire to the whereabouts of Major Tremaine?" she asked.

"Ah, you must be the Countess von Buskirk." The General gave a slight bow and smiled. "Your major is not with the Army, Countess. He left about 10 days ago with messages. I have asked if anyone here had any news about him but with all the confusion."

Katrina staggered and stepped back.

"Are you alright, my dear?" The General held her arm. "Please sit down. The major will be fine but I will press my inquires for you." With that he left.

Katrina held her face in her hands and wept. "How could this be?" She thought. "He worried about her safety and now no one knows about him. Oh, God let him be safe!"

12