An Unforgettable Melody Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Pondering this for a few moments, she finally replied to Mike, "Sexual slave? Did you know about any of this before... releasing her?"

Replying in the negative, Mike related the story of the locket to Ashley. He explained the strange circumstances by which it was given to him, showed her the inscription on the back, and described the music that ultimately opened the locket and released Melody.

"Wow... that's pretty amazing," Ashley said, before hesitantly continuing, "As your minister, I would be remiss if I didn't bring this up. Are you at all concerned that you're participating in something that could ultimately do serious damage to you spiritually? After all, if what you're telling me is true, you are a willing participant in the enslavement of Melody, an intelligent, living being."

"I had that same concern upon first releasing her," he replied. "My first thought was to free her, until she explained that doing so wouldn't accomplish the goal I had in mind. Freeing her would only release her from me, and would allow the next person who finds the locket to gain control of her and her powers."

"What would that realistically mean?" Ashley asked.

Melody chimed in, saying, "My master is allowed to do anything he wants with me. I could be locked up, kept in chains, beaten daily, or even destroyed. All are allowed, as I am considered my master's property."

As Ashley got a horrified look on her face, Mike continued, "Additionally, whoever is her master is allowed free reign in regards to any sexual wish. Statutory rape, violent rape, incest, and anything else sexually related are completely allowed, with no consequences or recourse. With Melody's powers, her master could go on a rampage of old school pillaging, all with her full support and encouragement."

"Allowing those things to happen, all to absolve yourself from responsibility, is never something you'd be able to live with, if I know you," Ashley said, completing his thoughts.

"Exactly," Mike said. "This is why I ultimately decided that I needed to keep her, not as a slave, but as a partner and companion. My first wish upon making that decision was for her to gain as much free will as was possible for her to have. I wanted, and still want, an equal partner and a modern woman. Thus far, she has yet to disappoint," he explained, smiling at Melody as he finished.

After marveling at his thoughtful decision-making, Ashley said, "Mike, the moral dilemma you are in is unlike anything I could have ever imagined. Yet, I can't help but believe that you did the right thing. Nicely done."

"Thanks," he said with a smile.

"I do have to ask," Ashley continued, "How has all of this not caused you to question your faith or the very existence of God?"

"I will admit, those thoughts did initially cross my mind," he replied. "However, when Melody specifically showed interest in my faith, and especially seeing her positive experiences with the church, it basically confirmed my lifelong view of God: He gives free will to everyone, but what we do with it is up to us. When we use it for good, good things happen. When we use it for evil, bad things happen."

Smiling, Melody chimed in. "I'm living proof of that. Mike has chosen to have me, not as a slave, but as a companion. Because of his choice, I know I've become a much more complete person than I ever would have otherwise. Besides, in a universe as vast as the one we live in, created by a being as powerful as God is, why should the existence of creatures such as myself contradict any of that?"

"Through Him, all things are possible..." Ashley mused to herself. "In that case, Mike, have you considered using this power to try and better the world? Such as curing diseases or preventing sexual crimes?"

Nodding, Mike said quietly, "I have. Ultimately, however, it's too dangerous. God put me on this Earth to glorify Him and find His purpose for my life. If my purpose were to play God, then I wouldn't be a person. I'm not perfect, not by any stretch of the imagination. I may try to be as good a person as I can each day, but straying down the path of interfering with free will immediately opens me up to being corrupted by power, no matter how good my intentions may be."

"But if God has blessed you with this power, why not use it? What if it's what He wants and intends? You may well be trustworthy after all."

Collecting his thoughts, Mike replied, "If it is, and I haven't used those powers in the way He intended, I'll have to answer for my inaction one day. However, I believe that His purpose for me in all of this is not to be an arbitrator, but a guardian. My job is to guard Melody, giving her the life, love, and freedom she deserves. I must also guard her powers, to ensure none who would abuse them ever gain control of them. I firmly that this is my purpose."

Satisfied with his answer, Ashley then asked, "So, in your time together, what have you learned about Melody and where she originally comes from?"

Nodding, he said, "I think she can explain that better than me."

Smiling, Melody explained, "Jinn and genies have been around for thousands of years. Of course, at one time, our existence was more widely known of and believed in than today, primarily in what is today known as the Middle East. As for me specifically, I am not completely sure," she said sadly. "While I do know that I was created before being imprisoned in my vessel, I can't seem to access any of my memories from that time."

His eyes suddenly brightening, Mike said to her, "Melody, do you think that what we encountered at the beach might have something to do with that? With your memories?"

Pondering, she replied, "It's certainly possible..."

Seeing the confused look on Ashley's face, the couple told her of Melody's dreams, the voices they had heard, and the possible connection to Isaiah. They explained that they were now able to somewhat trigger the visions anytime Melody read the Book of Isaiah before sleeping, as well as, to a lesser extent, when reading it for extended periods of time. In addition, listening to Handel's Messiah brought about faint portions of the voices, though only in the sections containing scripture from Isaiah.

"Interesting," Ashley said as she listened. "That does seem very strange that there is clearly a strong connection between a Biblical prophet and yourself, Melody. I'll research this as much as I can, to see if I can provide any insight from my end. However, my overall recommendation to the two of you is to not dwell on this too much. Obviously, this is important to you, and you do want to figure out this mystery sometime, but this is a happy time for the both of you, one of the happiest times in your lives. Enjoy it. Don't let any obsession creep into your lives in that it diminishes your experiences of the next several months. You should enjoy every second of being engaged and preparing for your wedding. So, can I ask both of you to promise me that?"

Entwining his fingers with Melody's, Mike replied, "We promise." Melody nodded in agreement.

Ashley hugged each of them, wishing them good luck and happiness, and looking forward to their next session. Melody hugged her very tightly, holding her close for several seconds and whispering words of thanks to her. As the couple departed her office, Ashley sat at her desk in silent prayer and meditation, processing everything she had learned that day.

Melody... a genie? Never saw that coming. Still, it doesn't make a difference, I suppose. She's one of God's children nonetheless, and her love for Mike appears to be genuine. Oh, Mike... you are a stubborn one. A part of me wishes you would be more proactive in trying to better the world with this gift you've been given, but I know you. You're committed to the path you've chosen. As much as I hate admitting it, you may well be right about being Melody's guardian.

Even as she came to terms with the events of the day, an unsettling feeling still crept into Ashley's mind. After all, her world had suddenly been turned upside-down with the revelation of the existence of such supernatural beings as genies. What's more, one of those beings was seeking her blessing to marry Ashley's childhood friend. As a minister, as well as Mike's friend, she could have no doubt that their marriage was one built on dedication, trust, and compassion, and that it would ultimately be seen as good and righteous in God's mind. She would be doing a disservice to the very people she was marrying if she went through with the ceremony having such doubts in her mind. Closing her eyes, Ashley prayed aloud, as if she were talking to her best friend.

"Hi God. It's me, Ashley. You're something else... right when I think I've got it all figured out, you just have to go and throw me a curve ball. I know, I know... I wanted to devote my life to helping others, no matter how that may be. There's no doubt in my mind that Mike and Melody love each other, and for all the right reasons. I just... I just need to know that this marriage, a union between a human and a supernatural being, is in fact your will. I ask for your strength and guidance. I need to know that this is a good and holy thing."

As soon as she finished speaking, Ashley felt a wave of serenity descend upon her. She could clearly see in her mind the life that Mike and Melody would build together: undying love, concern for others, raising their children with care, and enduring faith would be the cornerstones on which their house would stand. She opened her eyes, her smile lighting up the room, and knew in her heart of hearts what was right.

They're perfect for each other...

12