And The Horse You Rode In On

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
TexasFarmBoy
TexasFarmBoy
1,188 Followers

Everyone was surprised when Jennifer said, "Hello, Ms. Lambert. I miss you this year. You are the best teacher I have ever had."

"Hello, Jennifer and thank you for that compliment. You were one of the best students I have ever had. Is school going good for you this year?"

"Yes ma'am, especially after Gerald helped me with math today.'

She smiled a tired smile at Gerald and said, "So your student load has doubled, has it?"

Gerald blushed.

Cherilyn looked at Jennifer and said, "They won't let me be in mom's class. I think that they think I will cheat or something." The adults laughed and Gerald pulled up a chair for her between the two girls.

"Thanks Gerald, I am famished. I didn't feel like eating at all today."

Jim replied, "Try these beans they are tremendous. And the potato wedges are really good too. Where did you find these beans, Gerald? I want to get some for home."

"Actually, I made them. I grew these beans and have been experimenting with different spices to find one I like."

"Well I like this recipe just fine. If you decide to sell them, I will buy them for us."

Everyone settled down to eat and Gerald could see that some of the weariness left Gwen's face. The girls talked continuously. For the most part, he stayed out of the conversation and listened to the two conversations as something caught his interest.

It was almost 8:00 when Jim's cell phone rang. "Oops, my better half is wondering where we are. Excuse me. Hello. Yes, everything is fine. No, we are just finishing dinner and we will be home in thirty minutes. Gwen Lambert just got back and we were getting to know each other. Yes, Jenny seems to be very proud that she understands fractions now." There was a long pause and then he answered, "I'll think about it but I don't think that it is a good idea. We will be home shortly and we will talk about it." He hung up.

He then announced, "We have been married for ten years and she still needs to check up on me."

There was a silence around the table except for the girls who ignored the comment.

Jim finally pulled himself up and told Jennifer that they need to go. He shook hands with both Gwen and Gerald and said their good nights. Jennifer told Cherilyn that she looked forward to seeing her in school the next day. Cherilyn replied the same and they gave each other a hug before Jennifer went outside with her father and they drove off. Cherilyn held her mother's hand as they watched the car drive off.

When they were gone, Gwen turned to Cherilyn and said, "Cheri, I need to talk to Gerald for awhile. Will you go inside and look on the computer while I talk to him?"

"Sure mom." Then her face clouded and she added, "Is daddy, alright?"

"Yes, honey; he got hurt but he will be alright."

"OK. Jennifer talked a lot about her daddy but I was embarrassed to tell her about daddy." She went inside and Gerald pulled one rocking chair near to the other and sat down. Gwen joined him.

"I'm not ready to talk just yet, Gerald. Tell me about Cheri and her new friend."

Gerald related their talk and dinner the previous night and how Cherilyn went over and talked to Jennifer and set up today. Gwen just nodded but had a smile on her face.

"Gwen I wanted to talk to you too. While talking with Jennifer's mother last night, I got the feeling that she was probing to find out about your emergency trip. I tried to put it to rest but I'm not sure that I did a very good job. And then when I told her that Cheri was your daughter and not mine, I think that she felt like there was something going on between us. I tried to put a cork in that too but, ...well you might hear some rumors."

Gwen looked at him and nodded. "It's alright; I hear the same things. I met Jenny's mother at the PTA and I got the same feelings that you did. But I like Jim; he seems like a good guy like you."

"Yes, I got the same feeling."

"OK, it is my turn now." She took a deep breath and then continued. "When I got to the prison, I found out that he was in the hospital with a stab wound. It turns out that he got affiliated with one of those white supremacist groups and a fight broke out between them and the black and Hispanic groups. He got stabbed but the worst thing was that he hit a guy over the head with a broomstick and the guy died. He will be facing manslaughter charges on top of his existing sentence. That will probably mean another ten or fifteen years on top of what he still has left. When I talked to him in the hospital, he apologized and asked that I not tell Cheri about his wound. Gerald, he told me that I ought to get a divorce and move on with my life without him. He knows that he screwed up again and that it will be a long time before he gets out again. I went to the motel and cried all night and all morning before I got myself together enough to drive home. What should I do, Gerald? I didn't marry him to walk away when there were troubles but this is almost too much. He had white power tattoos all over his body now and even if he got out soon, I'm not sure that I want Cheri around him if he stays involved with thei kind of people. I'm scared and confused. Help me understand, please?" The tears were back in her eyes as she finished.

Gerald thought for several minutes before he said, "Gwen, I have never had to face something like this and I don't know exactly what to say to comfort you. I guess the best thing I can offer is to tell you that you have the right to be scared, confused and worried about Cherilyn's future. I don't think that there is an easy answer at all. Therefore, I would suggest that you don't need to make a decision right now. You have your house and job and are doing fairly well as you are. I think you need to give yourself time to think all of this through and try to make some sense of it. At some point you will have to talk to Cherilyn about it at a level that she can understand. When you are ready, I think you will be able to make the right decision for both of you."

"I wanted for you to tell me what I should do and make it easy but I think that what you just said is the right thing for me for now. I am so confused right now that I would probably make a rash decision that might not be right. And your words are very comforting and understanding. Thank you Gerald; you are the best friend a confused woman can have."

"That is what I hope I can be for both you and Cherilyn. Anytime you want to talk, I will be ready to listen."

She reached out and stroked his cheek. "I knew that too but it makes me feel better to hear it directly from you." Her tears had stopped and she made a feeble smile.

"Why don't you and Cherilyn go on home when you are ready and have a good night together. Tomorrow, plan on coming over here for dinner and we will just have simple and quiet evening."

"I think that is a good idea too. Give me a few more minutes to get myself together and I'll come in and get her together."

Gerald nodded and went inside and left her to her thoughts. Cherilyn looked up at Gerald and smiled. She looked like she wanted to ask or say something but she chose not to. Twenty minutes later, Gwen came in and went directly into the bathroom. Gerald heard the running water in the sink and assumed that she was washing her face.

When she came out, she seemed much calmer and more relaxed. "Cheri, my love; are you ready to go? We still have school tomorrow and we are fixing dinner for Gerald tomorrow night."

"OK, momma. Can we make enchiladas and tacos again?"

"We could or we could make homemade pizzas if you want." Gwen replied.

"Let me think about it and we will decide in the morning. Then we can surprise Gerald."

"I like that idea too." Cherilyn gathered her things and Gerald walked them out to their car and said good night.

He went back inside and for the first time he wished that he had a television. His mind was busy with a wide variety of thoughts and some mindless Pablum would be welcome. Instead, he picked up a new novel that he had bought and started reading it. He finally went to bed after midnight and slept until 8:00 the next morning.

Instead of fixing his own breakfast as usual, he decided to go into town and eat and pick of some supplies from the hardware store. He stopped at one of the local café's and ordered a light breakfast similar to what he usually had at home. While he was waiting for his order, a voice came from behind him.

"Gerald, is that you?" Gerald turned and saw Jim Sanders sitting at the table behind him.

Jim stood and came over to his table and said, "I want to thank you again for dinner last night and what you did for Jenny. She talked all of the way home about how you taught her about fractions with the beans."

"You are very welcome." Gerald paused and then said, "Do you have a minute?"

Jim checked his watched and replied, "Sure. Let me get another cup of coffee." He flagged the waitress down to refill both of their cups. When they were alone, he asked, "What's up?"

Gerald took a breath and the replied, "There are a couple of things that I would like to clarify with you and it is a little uncomfortable. First, I suspect that there are or will be rumors about Gwen and I. I want you to know that we are neighbors and friends, nothing more. I like Cherilyn and she likes me, I think, but there isn't anything going on that the gossip mills need to be talking about. For myself, I don't care; but for Gwen and Cherilyn, I don't think that either of them deserves to be the target of a rumor like that. Gwen is married and Cherilyn has a father that she misses. I am only a friend."

Jim looked at him with respect. "I get the picture and I will try to put a lid on anything if I hear about it."

"There is one more thing that isn't my business and I probably shouldn't be saying this but you seem like an intelligent man. Gwen's husband is in prison. I won't go into the details but there may be rumors about that too. I would hope that people will judge Gwen and Cherilyn by their own qualities and not those of someone that they don't even know."

Jim paused and locked eyes with Gerald. "I think you are being polite; you are referring to Pam and frankly she and I had a similar talk last night after Jenny went to bed. She feels that something is funny going on but doesn't know what it is. I had to remind her that I am a preacher's kid; hell we both are and that we both suffered stings when growing up because people expected us to be a certain way because of what our fathers did. She acknowledged that. But then I asked her if she had thought about the future if I am elected sheriff. I am sure that at some time I am going to have to deal with the mother or father or brother of one of the kids in Jenny's school. I asked her if she wanted Jenny to be shunned because I had to arrest someone's relative. She hadn't thought of that and our conversation went on for quite awhile discussing the old sins-of-the-father thing. I can't guarantee what will happen, but I think that her eyes were opened. I certainly won't stop Jenny from seeing Cherilyn and I felt nothing but respect for Gwen after meeting and talking with her last night. I doubt that will change your concerns but I think that we are on the same page of the hymnal."

"Thank you, Jim. I think that you have a perfect understanding of my concerns. You also just earned my vote. We need good people like you in office."

"Thanks. Now I better go. Another meeting awaits me." He stood as did Gerald and they shook hands.

Gerald picked up the things he needed and went home with a sense that some of the gloom had lifted a little. That night he went to Gwen's house feeling better than he had in a week. They had elected to have taco pizzas and so they had an Italian/Mexican fiesta and enjoyed themselves. When Cherilyn went to her room for awhile, Gwen looked at Gerald and timidly asked, "Gerlad, Jenny's mother stopped by school today and invited the three of us to their house for dinner tomorrow night. I told her that I would check with you and get back to her tonight."

Gerald looked at her and said, "I think I will pass. It is more important that you and Cheri build on this relationship than me. You need to get to know them better and they need to get to know you. Tell them that I had an important project to do."

"Gerald, did you say anything to one of them?"

"I had a brief chat with Jim this morning. He said that he and his wife had a talk after he got home last night."

Gwen looked at him and could read his mind. "Thank you and I see what you are saying. I just don't want you to feel left out or ignored."

"I don't and I won't. It is just important right now that Jennifer and Cheri cement their new relationship and that Pam and Jim get to know you. The next time I will promise to attend."

"I'm going to hold you to that."

"Deal."

Gwen picked up her phone and placed the call. He heard her tell Pam that they would be pleased to come but that Gerald had some work he had to get done. They agreed on a time and said their goodbyes.

Gerald smiled at her as she hung up. She smiled back but a little more timidly. Although he would have enjoyed getting to know Jennifer's parents better, especially Jim, he went to sleep that night knowing that this was the right thing to do.

A week later, Gwen invited the Sanders family to her house for dinner and Gerald kept his word and happily attended and provided two loaves of fresh Italian bread and the beans that were specifically requested by Jim. As soon as he entered the house and he said his hellos, Jennifer and Cherilyn grabbed him by the hand and dragged him into the living room and there were the beans already spread out on the coffee table. He felt a hand put a glass of tea down next to him while Cherilyn simple said, "Multiply fractions."

"Alright, here is a whole, one of you make two one half piles." Jennifer easily split the pile into two piles. "Alright Cheri, you make these into one quarter piles." Cherilyn took a moment and split the half pile into four equal piles. "What you have done is to make one pile into two and then made one of the piles into four piles. Do you see?" They both nodded. "In other words, you made one quarter of one half, right?" They nodded. "And when you hear the word 'of,' what are you thinking?"

They both responded at the same time, "Multiply."

"Correct. So how much does each of these small piles represent of the original pile?"

The girls thought and Cherilyn replied first, "One fourth."

Jennifer followed with "No, Cheri; that is what one fourth of one half is. I think it is one eighth?" She asked timidly looking at Gerald's face for approval. He remained non-responsive.

Then Cherilyn lit up and repsonded, "I see. These are each one fourth of the half, but if we split the other half into pieces we have eight piles. So one pile is one eighth of the whole pile." Jennifer beamed along with Cherilyn.

"You two just won the lottery and get to keep all of the beans." Gerald said to their giggles. "So on your homework and for the rest of your lives, every time you need to multiply fractions, you write down the fractions and you multiply the top times the top and the bottom times the bottom, like this."

Jennifer asked, "Do we need to change the bottoms to be the same like we do in addition and subtraction?"

"No ma'am, you do that only for addition and subtraction. That is to make sure that you are adding and subtracting the same things. With multiplying and division, you don't care about them being the same because you are multiplying a row of the same thing by the number of rows. So here are a couple of problems for each of you." He quickly wrote down three simple fraction problems for each of them. Each one had one problem where the top number wasn't "1."

Each girl quickly did each problem without trouble although they stopped for a moment and repeated his words before they finished the last problem.

Gerald said, "I don't know why you girls think you can't do these problems; you both got them all perfect. Now get away from me, you bother me." He used his best W. C. Fields imitation which brought another round of giggles.

From behind him, he heard Pam say, "I just learned something that I never got straight before. I always just use a calculator."

Gwen replied, "Me too. I think that the reason is that Gerald thinks just like a ten year old does."

Gerald hung his head in embarrassment partly at not realizing that he had an audience and partly in feigned resignation that he had been found out. He finally rose and faced the audience of three standing in the doorway watching him.

"Come one everyone," Gwen said, "It is time to cut our dinner into sixths." Everyone including the girls smiled and went into the dining room while Gwen and Pam went into the kitchen and brought out a platter of roast and vegetables along with a big bowl of Gerald's beans which was placed directly in front of Jim.

"OK, I've got my sixth." He said.

Pam replied, "Not if you are sleeping in my bed tonight." The four adults smiled but the two girls looked confused.

The rest of dinner was a success and everyone ate their fill. Pam commented on the potatoes and vegetables. Gwen said that they were from her garden that Gerald had built and that Gerald and Cherilyn had planted. Pam exclaimed that she wanted a garden like hers. Before he knew it, Gerald had another garden to build and plant. He said that he could probably do it on Tuesday but probably couldn't plant it until Wednesday. The girls demanded that they be part of the planting too; so they agreed to planting the garden after school on Wednesday.

By the end of school, Jennifer and Cherilyn were almost inseparable. Jim had been elected sheriff and had taken office in mid-May. Gerald with Gwen's help had supplied four kinds of bread and ten gallons of his beans for the victory celebration. Although he couldn't grow enough beans in his own garden yet, Gerald began making batches of his beans and sold them at the market. Like his bread, sales started slowly but once people tried them, he sold out every weekend. On a whim, he labeled them "Lawman" beans with the subtitle "Good enough to keep the lawman happy."

Gwen was teaching summer school again and Pam had a busy social schedule, so more often than not, Jenifer and Cherilyn spent the days with Gerald as he pursued his various occupations. Both girls got hands on lessons in weighing and measuring everything from lumber to water to flour and spices. One or both of them usually went to market with him on Saturday's and he paid them both for their time working in preparing things and for selling things. Like Gwen, Jim and Pam had allowed her to make the money as long as she saved half of it. On their own time, the two friends became good shoppers while comparing quantities against price and qualities against other brands. They talked things over with each other and often came to Gerald when they were confused or uncertain on how to evaluate things. Gerald showed them how to use the internet to find information on products and ingredients. One of the results of that was both girls developed an aversion to a lot of makeup because of what they learned about the ingredients in them.

Gerald also introduced the girls to the subject of percent and its relationship to fractions. This also led to an introduction into decimals. Once again, the beans were spread over the table as he demonstrated the concepts. The girls were now able to pick up many of the new concepts quickly as he continued showing an issue and having them tell him what was happening. They often discussed what they saw between themselves before they gave him an answer. He also continued his previous summer's practice of having the girls write about things they did and often had them read and explain a set of instructions or a recipe to him. Cherilyn was used to doing this from the previous summer but it only took Jennifer a couple of weeks to get the hang of what they were doing.

TexasFarmBoy
TexasFarmBoy
1,188 Followers
1...34567...17