Cadences: Andrew Competes (Third Cadence)

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MaviYazar
MaviYazar
72 Followers

"I'm really glad it went well, Cady. I'd like to hear all about it." I say, relieved.

"As much as I enjoyed it, I really don't want to be a buffer between Mom and Grant, please tell me you can come so I won't have to suffer through it alone." She pleads.

She has no idea. "When's the movie? I'll be done in about fifteen minutes so it'll take me thirty minutes to get there."

"That's alright, we'll just go to whichever movie is screening next when you get here." she says.

"Okay then, I'll see you soon." I say softly, anticipation coursing through my blood.

*********************

Twenty eight minutes later I park my car in the parking lot of the cinema complex. I get out of my car and immediately spot Cadence, Grant and Genevieve at the entrance. As I walk over to them, I notice they're all fidgeting awkwardly, with Grant and Genevieve glancing at each other and then quickly away, and Cadence staring at her sneakers like they hold the answers to everything.

As if she senses me, Cadence lifts her head and a smile breaks across her beautiful face. I grin at her and she walks over to me, clearly glad to be rid of the awkwardness, if only for a bit.

"Thank god you're here, the tension was so thick I could practically chew it." She says, and I'm glad we're out of ear shot because I have a feeling Genevieve wouldn't like that statement.

My smile falters, "That bad?" I ask.

"Actually, no. I expected death glares and pouting. But they've been cordial to each other, friendly even. I think what's making this so uncomfortable is that we've run out of topics to talk about. They only seem to be able to talk about ballet and what college I'm going to." She shakes her head, "but it's still better than I expected."

I nod at her and give her soft smile, she returns it with her own and we both start walking over to the infamous couple as I wrap my arm around Cadence's shoulders.

When we approach them I eye both of them pointedly and as expected they both look away. "Good evening." I say.

"Hello Andrew!" Grant greets over-enthusiastically, extending his hand for me to shake, "It's nice to see you again."

I try not to roll my eyes at the act he's making for Cadence's sake. I take his hand in mine and squeeze it meaningfully. "Yeah, you too Grant."

He turns to Cadence, "Cade, honey, why don't you and your mother go pick out a movie while me and Andrew have a little chat here."

I look at Cadence, she hates being called Cade because a kid who used to bully her when she was seven called her that, but I'm surprised when she doesn't even flinch and nods her head, looking at Grant curiously.

She gives me a reassuring smile when she walks by me with her mother, I look back at Grant to find him watching me with a weird sort of smirk on his face.

"She's a good kid, that one." He says conversationally.

I narrow my eyes at him, not liking the fact that he just called her a kid, or 'that one'.

"She's not exactly a kid anymore, Grant." I say, my tone clipped.

He smiles a smile filled with malice, and it suddenly feels like he's finally showing me his real self. "No, I suppose not." His smile vanishes, a hard look taking its place.

"Listen, Andrew. I do appreciate everything you've done for my girls. Cadence has grown up beautifully and Genevieve couldn't have done it without you."

"Your Girls? last time I checked I was the one who's married to Genevieve, although you seem to have forgotten that lately..." I let that sentence hang heavily in the air for a moment before continuing, "And Cadence is more mine than she is yours and we both know it." I reply curtly.

He nods thoughtfully, "See, that's just it. I've realized I made an error in judgment a long time ago and I'd like to repair that error."

"Stop beating around the bush Grant, what the hell are you saying?" I can barely contain my anger, knowing exactly what's coming.

"I want to take my family back, Andrew." he says.

"You never even had them in the first place." I say as calmly as possible.

"Yeah well, I'd like to change that now. Cadence is all grown up and she's able to make rational decisions about her life. And you know what Genevieve and I are like. Soon enough I'll have both of them back and in my life, and there's nothing you can do to stop it."

"As you said, Cadence can make her own decisions now, and do you think she's going to want you back in her life after what you've done?" I ask.

"She's not going to find out what I've done, because I'm not going to tell her." He says smugly, "And I know you won't tell her either. You wouldn't dare break her heart now would you?"

I clench my jaw, "You bastard."

He shrugs, "I've been called worse, I'll see you inside, Drew."

I watch him walk towards the entrance in disbelief. A feeling of dread washes over me. How could he possibly live with himself knowing the things he has done, and knowing that he's going to break his daughter's heart some day. Because she will find out one day, if not from me then from somebody else, the truth always has a way of coming out somehow. And it's going to hurt like a bitch.

*********************

"Well, that was interesting..." Cadence says as she closes and locks the door of our apartment behind her. "I actually had fun, and mom wasn't a complete bitch tonight."

I send her a wry look, "Only three-quarters bitch then?"

"Precisely." She smiles brightly at me.

I chuckle despite my somber mood. I grab her by the ass and pull her to me, kissing her neck. "You know you're gorgeous when you're happy?" I ask against her collarbone.

She laughs lightly, "So what, the rest of the time I look like an Oger?"

"A sexy, sexy Oger." I reply, kissing her mouth softly. "Listen, sweetheart, I wanted to tell you something before your mother gets home." I clear my throat, "I am glad you're rebuilding this relationship with your father, setting my differences aside, this, spending time with him today has made you happy. Which is the only thing I could ever ask for."

She looks up at me suspiciously, "I sense a but."

"But," I continue, "You have to be careful with him. He's hurt you before and he might do it again. And I know you have a soft spot for him, you tend to let him in too much and it ends up biting you in the ass."

"It's alright, I can handle him this time." she says.

I press my lips together, "Don't hate me for saying this, but that's what you said last time, and then he ended up leaving you waiting for him for four hours in a diner with no phone or money." I point out.

"That was two years ago!" she says defensively.

"That doesn't mean it won't happen again. Look Cady, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. I'm just trying to protect you." I say.

"Well don't. I don't need your protection. I'm an adult now, I can handle it myself, so you can stop babying me and start treating me like the woman you've been sleeping with."

Even though she looks like she regrets the words right after she says them, her words feel like a slap to the face, " Jesus Cadence, this, us being together isn't just crossing a line, it's erasing it completely. And I'm still trying to navigate my way between being intimate with you, and yet still giving you fatherly advice when you need it." I cup her face, "But you're the single most precious thing in my life, I'm going to protect you as a father or a boyfriend or a lover or whatever the hell you want me to be whether you want it or not. Whether I want it or not. So when I say I'm protecting you, it's not me being condescending. I'm doing it because I can't help it. You hear me?"

She nods between the palms of my hands, "God, I'm sorry, Drew. I didn't mean to hurt you. I know you want the best for me. But I really think I can handle it this time. He's hurt me enough times that I almost feel indifferent to him. It's like, yes I had fun tonight, it was nice seeing him cracking jokes and tolerating my mom. But if he decides he doesn't want to come to the talent show next week, or see me only once a month, I can just shrug it off. Which, I know sounds awful, but it's true. Kicking his ass won't be necessary now that I've realized I simply don't care anymore." She shrugs.

It does sound bad, and it makes me sad to know that he hurt her bad enough to make her not care anymore. But then again, I have met Grant. I know his tendencies and can't blame Cadence for feeling the way she does.

I nod, "Okay. But be careful around him anyway, it is Grant we're talking about here."

She narrows her eyes, "Drew, do you know something?"

Before I can answer, I hear a key being inserted into the keyhole and go to open the door.

Saved by the key-jiggling.

"Coming!" I yell out to Genevieve as I make my way to the front door.

Cadence snorts, "You wish"

I look back to find her fleeing the foyer before I can swat her ass.

*********************

A week went by in a blink of an eye, long days at work kept me from being at home, and had me sleeping at the office most days, it made me feel less guilty knowing that Cadence would be preparing for her talent show, and wouldn't have time or energy to spare anyway.

I've been working extra hard this week so I could surprise Cadence with a three-day trip to Vermont this weekend. She's been studying and practicing for months now, and I know after all this hard work she's going to need a break whether she admit it or not. I'm planning on telling her about her father soon, but not before we both got away for a few blissfully unaware days of just being together and not thinking about anything stressful.

Work has been hard as hell, and not seeing Cadence has put me in a cranky mood, I'm surprised Monica didn't tell me to go to hell a few times, or slap me. But no, she managed to keep herself cool and collected. I think her forty years of experience with self-centered assholes for bosses has made her immune to our vexing behavior.

And my behavior is vexing to be honest. As much as I as I don't want to admit it to myself, I have been avoiding Cadence this week. Sure, we'd text each other a few times a day and I call her every night to check up on her, but other than that, nothing. No talk of anything involving us, I haven't even touched her or spent time with her since that night in the foyer. Which makes me feel guilty for multiple reasons. One of them being that I'm keeping this big secret from her because it's going to hurt her if she finds out about it, and it's going to hurt her that I knew about it and didn't tell her.

But the alternative isn't better. I know my avoiding her has taken a toll on her, she asked me about it twice and both times I gave her a half assed excuse about being busy with work.

But fuck.

I miss her.

I miss the smell of her hair, and the way she always smiles until her dimples appear, before opening her eyes in the morning.

I miss teasing her about those little freckles on her nose and cheeks that look like the Cassiopeia constellation.

I miss our stupid argument about who played the best joker, Nicholson or Ledger, and how she always seems to win because I can't help but look forward to her little victory dance.

Jesus, I'm turning into a pussy.

Pussy.

Cadence's pussy.

Fuuuuck, this is ridiculous.

It's Thursday though, and I'm actually excited for tonight. I get to see Cadence perform, she's been talking about this performance since she signed up for the talent show. It's always a blast seeing her dance, I can't remember a time when her dancing didn't absolutely blow me away. I always look forward to it.

When it's time for me to go, I barely have time to change in the office and head out, making sure to thank Monica and tell her to go home and be with her husband. She seems surprised and even I'm a little shocked by my behavior, but I don't have time to dwell on that.

In the car, on the way there, I decide to go see Cadence before the show. She's usually very nervous before performing and I always do my best to put her at ease. I owe her an apology too, my distance this week probably made her stress even more.

I vow to de-stress her as much as I can.

*********************

I look around the backstage area where props and costumes fill the place, people are milling around, yelling and gesturing to each other frantically to 'get the lighting fixed' and 'adjust that bow tie'.

I tried to call Cadence earlier but then I remembered her saying something about having no reception behind stage, so I have to find her the old fashioned way.

I spot a girl who looks about Cadence's age putting on make-up and walk over to her. I clear my throat, "Excuse me, I'm looking for Cadence Madsen, do you by any chance know where she is?"

The girl looks me up and down through the full length mirror in front of her and licks her buttom lip. "Madsen, yeah I know that chick. But she doesn't seem to be your type, too shy and quiet. I on the other hand..." but before she can finish her sentence I feel a tap on my arm and turn to face the girl behind me, "Hello Mr. Scott, I don't know if you remember me, I'm Erin, Cadence's friend."

I did remember her, and it's such a relief to see her that I can't help but smile. "Yes, of course I remember you Erin. It's good seeing you again." I say.

She sends the make-up girl a glare and turns back to me. "You too, Mr. Scott. Cadence is in one of the dressing rooms downstairs," she looks at the chart she's clutching in her hand," Room number 3, that's one floor down, second door on the right."

I give hear a grateful smile. "Thank you Erin." I start making my way down, but then I turn back to Erin, "And Erin, It's just Drew." I say, giving her small smile.

She returns it and nods.

I make my way to Cadence.

*********************

I find the dressing room easily with Erin's instructions, and immediately spot Cadence alone with her back to me, hands on her tutu clad hips and face turned downward as she looks at her feet.

I came here as soon as I could, but now that I'm here I don't know how to approach her, I've been avoiding her for days and haven't seen her for what feels like months. I feel stupid and out of place. A cold sweat breaks down my back at the thought of losing her to a dick like Grant, he doesn't deserve to even look at her, let alone be a father figure in her life.

I'm startled out of my reverie when Cadence turns around abruptly. She must've sensed me lurking in the doorway like a creep.

Our gazes lock.

I don't know how it happens, but suddenly I find myself clinging onto her like I've been drowning this whole week and she's the first breath of air.

We stay like this for a while. Just holding each other without saying anything. The silence is screaming the words we want to say, the apology I'm trying to send her through the grip I have on her, and the acceptance she's trying to convey with the way she strokes my hair slowly.

Please, God, let me keep her.

She pulls back slightly and I reluctantly pluck my face out of her hair to look down at her.

"Hey" I say.

"Hey," She replies.

"Hey" I say again.

"Hey"

"Hey"

She laughs," Okay, stop."

I smile but my insides are churning. I just stare down at her because all I can think about is how anyone could ever compare to this woman in my arms. How could I ever move on from her?

I swallow heavily and say. "How're you feeling?"

"I'm a little nervous about tonight." She says quietly.

"I figured you'd be, I'd be worried if you weren't. But you know you always bomb your performances, even the ones your most nervous about." I say.

"Where have you been?" The sentence seems to have been ripped from her throat, as if she didn't mean to say it but now that it's out, she can't wait to hear the answer.

I'm startled for a minute, not sure what to say. I don't want to lie to her, but I don't want to tell her the truth either.

It must've taken me too long to answer because she narrows her eyes at me and says,"You have been ignoring me for the past week for god knows what reason, I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what the hell I did wrong. And for a while there I was so mad, because we tell each other everything, we don't keep secrets, or lie about being busy. Because that's just how we operate." She takes my face in her hands,"I thought it was implied that when shit hits the fan, we put it all out there and deal with it together. We don't run. We don't hide. And most importantly, we don't lie to each other." She finishes.

I close my eyes. I feel ashamed and guilty.

"Fuck, sweetheart. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for avoiding you, It's not because of anything you did, you're perfect. And you're right, we don't keep secrets, I am trying to figure out a way to tell you in the best way possible, instead, I've been messing up even before I started. But I promise, baby, I promise I'm going to tell you everything soon."

She considers my words then nods, "Okay, I'm glad you're going to tell me, because I'm sick of seeing you suffer and not knowing why or how to help you."

"Yeah I know, I'm just trying to do this right, to say what I need to say in a way that it won't come between us." I say, and it seems like I've said too much if the look of apprehension on Cadence's face is any indication. "It's going to be okay, we're okay. I promise." I reassure her.

She smiles mischievously trailing a finger down my chest to my crotch. "I'm glad we're okay, because I am finally on the pill, and I plan on doing very, very bad things to you Mr. Scott."

I smile as I feel my dick twitch. "What a coincidence, Miss Madsen. I just so happen to have been tested and the results came clean. Must be your lucky day." I tease.

"I think you're the one whose lucky Mr. Scott, I hear my pussy is pretty magical." I feel her breath on my cheek.

"Whoever told you that must be a very brilliant person."

"He is." She looks at me seriously then, "But I'm afraid he's going to have to wait for it. Ready to see me go kick some ballet ass?" she asks.

"Oh baby, I was born ready." I reply.

*********************

"Cadence!" Genevieve calls out as we enter the backstage area after the show to see her. She's surrounded by a group of people who congratulate her and hand her flowers. She turns her head toward us as she hears her mother's voice. Her gaze meets mine and she runs over to me and practically leaps on me, clinging onto me tightly. We both laugh, "I rocked that shit." she says.

I chuckle, "Heck yeah you did." I look up to find Grant looking at us with a smirk. I tense up but thankfully Cadence is blissfully oblivious. She drops down to the ground and turns to her mother.

Genevieve is fake smiling and looking around us as if she's checking if anyone saw what just happened. "Cadence, you are not a little girl anymore, that is not the behavior of a lady." She hisses.

Cadence rolls her eyes, "Thanks for your support mother, I'm glad you liked the performance I've been working on for a year, and perfected just now."

Genevieve seems to soften, "I apologize Cadence. It was a great performance. Better than your last. Although that one move where you..."

Sensing she was about to criticize her again, Cadence turns to Grant, "What did you think about it?" she asks.

Grant steps forward and clasps both her hands in his. "I thought it was absolutely beautiful. All those jumps and twirls were perfectly executed."

I see Cadence's mouth twitch at his cluelessness about the subject, but she nods her head and thanks him.

We stand there in awkward silence for a minute before Genevieve excuses herself to go to the ladies room. Grant leans down to kiss Cadence on the cheek and tells her he has to go and that he'll call her tomorrow. His eyes flash my way and he mouths the word 'Mine' before he saunters off.

MaviYazar
MaviYazar
72 Followers