Angels and Guardians Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
photodad
photodad
492 Followers

Ashley and Joe sat together on the couch. She knew she was sitting closer to him than her parents probably liked, but she didn't want to be any farther from her protector than she currently was. There was an awkward silence for a few minutes as the four looked around the room. Her mom finally broke the still air. "So, how's school?"

"Fine."

"And cheerleading?"

"Fine."

Joe noticed her mom's look of frustration and leaned over to whisper to Ashley. "You gotta try, too, sweetheart."

Saying it so her parents could hear, Ashley shot at him, "look, I'm here, aren't I?"

Her mom said, "this is hard. For all of us. We haven't seen you in a while, and I really don't know what to say. The only things we heard from you are what was in the paper Saturday and the times you were on the radio."

Her dad piped up. "Yeah, about that. We don't approve of that sultry talk you do."

Ashley jumped up. "I'm outta here. Come on Joe."

But Joe grabbed her hand and tugged her back to the couch. "Not yet," he said quietly to her.

"Ass," she said.

Her dad raised his voice. "Don't talk that way about Joe!"

"I didn't," she spat, folding her arms over her chest, glaring at her father.

"Finally, someone stood up to you!" her mom shot at her husband.

Ashley looked at Joe and said, "I told you this was a bad idea."

Her dad froze. "You mean he told you to come here today?"

"Thank you, Joe," her mom said.

Joe decided to be a bit more active and try to get the family to heal. "You're welcome, and I see where Ashley gets her stubbornness. Now, you said you saw her in the paper. What did you think of that article?"

Her mom sighed, "it wasn't very long, so I don't know what you're getting at."

"Maybe, but it said enough. What did you think when you read it?"

"That I was sorry you had to step in for us, and that she looked beautiful kissing you sweetly in your parents' stead."

"See?" Joe said. "That's not so hard. And, Mr. Roberts? Excuse my blunt tone, but what you heard on the radio were acts she put on to flirt guys into showing up. She only talks that way around me when she means it. I feel certain I've earned that trust from Ashley to let her guard down in such manners. So, don't berate her for your imagination."

Mr. Roberts stood up. "How dare you talk that way to me in my house?!"

Joe stood to meet him, his imposing mass making her dad think twice about his decision to challenge Joe. "I can talk this way, because neither Ashley nor her mom can get through to you! I agree with your daughter at this point. You are an ass! A non-ass father would have listened to her and be happy with her successes. Especially since her absence from you was caused by you!"

Her dad still bristled. "I think you better leave now."

"Oh really? If I leave, she'll likely follow, and no matter what happens between her and I, you probably will never see her again. Not for her graduation, not for her wedding, not for your grand-children's births. At that point, not even I would ever be able to convince her to talk to you again. So, make your choice, 'Bonehead Dad of the Year.' Make a pleasant day of this, or see your wife lose her forever."

The last sentence hit home. Mr. Roberts glanced at Ashley's mom to see her looking at him with pleading eyes. He softened a bit, but was too proud to let it go. "How dare you, you rich brat?"

Joe wouldn't be denied. He desperately wanted Ashley to have a loving family to go home to on occasion. Still standing, he somehow made himself seem even bigger. "I may be a brat, but I am third in line after my mom to take over the world's largest private electronics company in the world. I have managed my assets from working for my parents well enough that I am one of the richest men in the surrounding counties. I command a small school football team that overachieves every week. I've helped seven girls, including your daughter, who needed a hand to hold when I met them, become strong independent young women. And, I've personally saved Ashley's life, twice. I am not trying to brag here or convince you to let me be her suitor, but I'm trying to illustrate to you that I think I deserve more credit than your average slack-jawed teenage boy. And to show that Ashley makes wise, mature decisions as to who she decides to show her interest to. Now, sit down and listen to your daughter without judgment, damnit!"

Ashley and Mrs. Roberts sat with their mouths hanging open. Not many stood up to her Navy officer dad. Even fewer could do so with such reason and well-made arguments. Joe's defense of himself stunned Mr. Roberts enough that he sat back down.

Joe used the win to continue. "As I was saying, you heard her flirting while doing her job on the radio. And that's all that was...a job. She was paid $150 to appear on air for Saturday's concert. Ashley and her friends did their job well enough that the concert was a success beyond the club manager's projections. Now, Ashley, tell them what happened during the concert."

Ashley shot him a look, but he deflected it back to her. She took a deep breath, and started telling them about the night, bit by bit. She finished by relating how the band had her singing her song.

"Did you get to see them backstage?" her mom asked.

"Yes, I did. They wanted to see me for a proposal."

"What kind of proposal?" Her dad's tone was accusatory, but at least he was trying.

Ashley rolled her eyes, but said, "They offered me a job."

"Doing what? Changing the sheets?"

Ashley stood to dart for the door, but sat back down when Joe didn't let go of her hand and took over again. "No, Mr. Roberts, she was offered the lead female vocalist position." Her dad returned a blank look. Joe decided to keep the heat on him. "That would be 'Rock Star' for those who need pictures for the bigger words. So like I said before, take care in judging Ashley before hearing her out. She was offered a million dollars for next year."

"Are you that good, honey?" her mom asked.

"No, because I turned it down, Mom."

"You turned it down? Why?"

"Yes, Dad, I turned it down." She went on to list her reasons. "Besides, I've seen what happened with Britney Spears, and other young meltdowns. I didn't want that to happen to me. But then I was offered to perform with them whenever I wanted and I'd get a share of the ticket sales."

The conversation began to get easier and easier between the family members. Before long, her mom invited them to the kitchen for sandwiches. They were eating when her dad asked if she'd heard from any of her friends in California. She shook her head no, but told them about the incident with Kim, and how she turned into a very close friend during last week. Wisely, she left out the sexual stuff.

As if on cue, her phone rang. She fished out the device from her back pocket and looked at it. She quickly flipped it open while standing up and exclaimed into it, "Kim!" Ashley left the kitchen as they heard her say, "Happy Thanksgiving to you too!"

Her dad used the time she was gone to talk to Joe. "I'm sorry if we got off on the wrong foot."

Joe looked at him warily, but with kindness, and said, "Are you saying that because you respect my wealth, or because you see that you were wrong about Ashley, Commander?"

He gave Joe a wry smile. "A little of both, I think. I was a little upset at seeing my daughter being described as having a romantic relationship with you, when I know that she is living with you."

Joe nodded his head in understanding. "Actually, she doesn't live with me. Her room at my parents house is more like an efficiency apartment, minus the kitchen. If that makes you feel better."

Her dad laughed. "Not really, but thanks for the effort. I know you're probably not exaggerating...I've seen the outside of your house. But, there's no comfort knowing she's living next to your room. I wish she were still living here."

Joe finished his last bite. "You should tell her that. Not the part about being unhappy with her living with me, but that you wish she was still here. Personally, I think the train had left the station about her coming back physically, but it will go a long way in getting your daughter's love back."

Her mom said, "you're wise beyond your years, Joe."

He grinned at her and said, "I get that a lot."

Ashley returned some minutes later, in a notably much better mood. Her mom asked how Kim was doing, and Ashley related some of the conversation. When she finished, her dad asked to see her in the living room. Instinctively, she looked in question at Joe, but he nodded to her to go ahead.

When they left the room, her mom said, "Thanks, Joe."

He answered, "no problem, Mrs. R!"

Ashley's dad started off apologizing for all that he had said to hurt her. Both tonight, and several weeks ago. Before she could interject, he continued to list his reasons on why he was so hard on her. Most involved him not wanting to see her get hurt. He told her that he saw now that his fears were unfounded. "I miss having you around. I wish you were still living here," he finished.

Ashley's shell finally cracked, and she flew across the room to hug her father. "Oh, Daddy, I missed you and mom, too! I just wish you didn't question everything I did so much. I know what I'm doing...mostly, at least. If I make a mistake, it is my mistake, and I'll learn from it. Why was it so hard for you to understand that?"

"I don't know, Kitten. I guess it's because I command so many young men, I don't want to see you get hurt by a mistake. Either yours or the guys' you're with."

"But Joe treats me so well. It's hard to imagine getting hurt by him. Even if, God forbid, one or both of us realized it wasn't going to work out, I trust that we would be able to end things as friends."

"Well, I think I know that now. But, a few weeks ago, you came home with a terrible injury from Bill...so can you understand my point of view?"

She nodded in his lap, "Yes. But it wasn't the first time he hurt me."

"What?"

"Oh, come on. I've come home bruised a number of times...especially during last summer..."

"No, you didn't."

Ashley was about to argue again, then realized that Bill would hit her where it wouldn't show. She explained as much, and then kissed his cheek. "I love you, Daddy. I swear on my life that something like that would never happen with Joe. Trust that, okay?"

He returned the kiss. "He seems like a stand-up guy, if a bit pushy. You have my blessing to continue staying at his house. For what that matters. I know you're a young woman and you're going to make your own decisions, but thought you'd like it anyway."

"Thanks, Daddy. You don't know what that means to me." She touched her forehead to his. "As for Joe being pushy, he isn't normally. He just did what he felt necessary to break our downward spiral." She giggled. "I think it worked."

"It most certainly did. I guess I owe him another thank you for keeping My Ashley in my life."

She smiled. "He'll say you don't have to, but I'd like it if you did."

They returned to the kitchen hand in hand. Ashley left her dad's side to hug her mom. "I love you, Mom."

Her dad made good on his promise and thanked Joe sincerely for making him listen and giving his daughter back to him.

"You don't have to do that. Neither of you realized you still had a place in each other's heart. I just gave y'all a bit of a nudge."

Ashley grinned wildly at her dad. "See? I told you! But thank you for doing so anyway."

They retired to the den, a sign that things had gotten back to a normal casual tone for the once broken family. Her parents listened to Ashley tell stories about Joe and the other girls in their circle. Joe checked his watch, and her mom asked if they were staying for dinner. Joe declined, saying he had to get back to finish dinner for Jill and Jasmine. Ashley said she wanted to have dinner with Joe and her friends. Joe told her that if she wanted to stay, he could come back for her later. She shook her head. Joe then asked her parents if they wanted to come over. At first they said no, but he convinced them to agree when he told them that his own parents were out of town, and that he'd like some extra company.

Her parents were surprised to see Ashley driving the beautiful car, but followed her lead back to Joe's house. At the gate, Joe told her to add two certain numbers to the code to keep it open extra time for her parents to follow them through. Jill's car was already in the driveway. Inside, Ashley introduced her parents to Jill and Jasmine. While Joe worked in the kitchen, the girls gave the couple a complete tour of the home and the grounds behind it. They turned on the decorative lighting as they went to give her parents the full effect of the beauty of the place at night. The couple was impressed when they were shown Ashley's room. "No wonder you want to stay here," her mom mused.

Ashley said, "even if this were a shack, I'd want to stay close to Joe." The couple sat down in the two cushy chairs in her room and the girls all sat on her bed to visit.

"What's with the two cars out in the street?" her mom asked.

"Security," her dad answered. He received a quizzical look from his wife. "Carter Electronics doesn't get as big as it has without gathering some enemies."

Jill confirmed what he said. "That's correct. Though the enemies are not of his parents' doing. It's more out of greed and jealousy."

Ashley continued the thought. "Joe once told me that he has a button on his keychain that would summon a team armed enough to fend off a small army."

Jill said, "you do too." Ashley took the keys out of her pocket to look at them. "No, silly," Jill laughed. "Your necklace has a microscopic transmitter. If you tap the diamond twice, pause, then tap once more, a similar team would rush to you. If you aren't in town, his parents' security office will contact the authorities nearest you. DON'T try it!" she said when she saw Ashley reach up. "Trust me, it works...Joe has to call three numbers to cancel the alert."

"You didn't tell me that when you gave me this."

"It slipped my mind. Besides, I didn't want you to test it."

Her parents looked at Jill and Jasmine. "Y'all are wearing similar necklaces," her mom said.

"Identical, actually. Except for the position of the names," Jasmine explained.

"Names?" Ashley's dad asked.

Jasmine took off her jewelry and handed it to him. If you look through the opal, you can see our names. The owner of the necklace has her name above the diamond. The rest of our names are below."

He saw that she was right, and he turned the pendant in his hand, admiring it. As he handed the keepsake back, he asked, "How many more is he going to add to your group?"

Jill answered, "Ashley will be the last invited to his Angels." The name slipped out. "Oh, shit, I shouldn't have said that. Commander? You being a military man, I hope you can understand the importance of keeping that name under your hat, right?"

"Sure."

"Why?" her mom asked.

Her dad answered, "I believe part of Joe's fear stems from if someone wanted to hurt his parents, and they knew he was close to these girls, they might want to come after them. It explains the lengths he went through to give them a panic button. A very clever one at that."

Jill said, "yes. You are right. Also, when we met Joe, we all had dark pasts. Bill being Ashley's example. Kim's older brother being another. Joe wants to keep the group's existence secret, so our past doesn't come back to hurt us or our friends."

Ashley's mom wanted to change the subject before she got more worried about Ashley's wellbeing. "It must take an army to keep this place up. Everything is spotless."

Jasmine replied, "Thanks!"

"You clean this by yourself?"

"No, Joe used to help me, but now Ashley pays her rent by doing what Joe used to."

The mother was impressed. "Still...wow. You do a great job."

"I appreciate that, Mrs. R!"

Joe called to them that everything was ready. Ashley's parents were amused that dinner as fancy as this was set up as self serve. They were intrigued that Joe was sitting at the table and that Jasmine served him. She smiled at them watching her. "I do technically work for Joe," she said to them as she urged them ahead of her into the kitchen.

When everyone was seated with their plates, Ashley's parents were very impressed that the young people all waited to say grace before touching their food. During the meal, her mom complimented him on the quality of the dinner and asked where he got it.

"He made it from scratch, Mom," Ashley giggled.

She was awestruck. "Where did you learn to cook like this?" she asked.

Ashley was able to smile with the girls, now that she knew the inside joke, and joined them in saying, "A little reading, a little TV, and a lot of love." Joe smiled at their joke at his expense and nodded.

"A Thanksgiving feast like this is not an easy thing," Mrs. Roberts said.

Joe replied that it actually is, if you get everything ready that morning. Then you could just put it together, like they do on TV. She asked why the buffet style serving. He replied that to plate food for everyone would take 20 minutes, and the first plate would be stone cold. Keeping everything in the pots they were fixed in saves Jasmine time in cleanup, as no extra bowls and platters are used. Besides, why would he plate up 6 meals, when everyone was able to get their own.

"So, why are you so special that Jasmine serves you?" Ashley's dad asked, prompting a stern look from his daughter.

"I could say because it's my house. I could say because she works for me. But, truth is, whoever cooks dinner here gets served. Besides, she knows what I like to eat, and she offered to do so one of the first times she was here. It just kinda stuck."

Commander Roberts didn't let the comment about Jasmine knowing Joe escape him. "So, you and Jasmine must have dated before, if she knows what you like?" Ashley shifted in her seat. This was heading down a road she didn't like.

Jasmine said, "actually, I'm the only one in the group who hasn't dated Joe at one point or another."

He asked, "aren't you good enough for him, or vise-versa?"

Ashley really started to get uncomfortable. "Dad!" she pleaded.

Jasmine shrugged off the thinly veiled put-down. "That's not why we haven't dated, sir. I'm attracted to Joe. What living girl my age wouldn't be? But, when I met him, I just knew we'd never last forever. So, unlike the others, I never pursued him to see 'what if.'" She saw the accusatory looks from both Jill and Ashley. "Jill, hon, you know that to be true. Ashley, I didn't mean to include you in that. I was referring to Joe's exes." Jill cocked her head in response to Jasmine's gut-check, then nodded in agreement and took another bite of turkey and gravy.

Ashley, however was still a bit defensive. "After all we've shared, that's what you really think, isn't it Jasmine?" she glared over toward her friend.

"Sweetheart, I said I meant to exclude you. I am sorry I left it out. Actually, you and Joe have something different than the others did. I can't explain it, exactly. I guess you could say that there's a certain chemistry between you two. Kim told me before she left Sunday that looking back, it started even when her and Joe were still together. She doesn't blame either of you, because you two hardly ever talked before she moved away. Now that the past has happened, Kim sees that God, Fate, or whatever was working to bring you together. She was thankful in a way that her parents moved, because if she stayed, she might still be with Joe, and things were not meant to be that way. She agreed with me that there is a feeling you two will be together a long time."

When everyone had their fill, Joe invited her parents to the den to watch some late college game. They were even more impressed when the girls jumped into action to clean up after the meal. Her dad asked if Jill and Jasmine were missing time with their families for the holiday. Joe answered that they took care of that earlier in the day, so that they could stay over tonight. "Stay over? Like a slumber party?" Joe laughed and said that while it might feel like a slumber party later, the girls were 18, and sensibly wanted to stay over and head to the game together tomorrow morning. He pointed above them at the balcony and told her parents that each door they see was a guest room reserved for the girls. Her dad asked where the game was, and Joe told him it was at Florida High in Tallahassee. "That's a big school, isn't it?" he asked.

photodad
photodad
492 Followers