Angels and Guardians Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
photodad
photodad
492 Followers

"The reason for this conference is to put aside any fears relating to my family's company. We employ over 250,000 people. Many of the talented groups have been to my house and were recruited personally by my parents. To those employees, I assure you that your livelihood is safe. Any change in job status has already been made. To allow a grieving period for all you loyal employees who cared deeply enough to stay with my family's company, I am ordering all non-critical personnel to take the days off from now through midnight Wednesday morning.

"To our clients, our company will change eventually, but know that your orders will be completed on time, and that we still have the best people working on your projects. Yes, including the special ones.

"I'd like to thank my parents' secretary, Cindy for her dedicated two years serving my folks. She's been a Godsend on this horrible trip, and I hope she will agree to continue her role with me.

"To my friends in Florida, who are playing for the district title tonight, GO SPARTANS! I am sorry that I could not be there tonight, but I know you'll succeed if you do your best. Know that Ashley is here safe with me, and I'm not sure I'd be sane right now without her comfort and support.

"I'll take a few questions, if there are any."

"Will you sell the company to Greedy?"

"No."

There was sporadic chuckles as the media was expecting a longer answer.

"Will you elaborate?"

"No need to. Next?"

"You mentioned that Carter may change eventually, what does that mean?"

"Well, I'm sure you don't wear that suit to bed, or even put the same one on every day. Everything changes at some point. I'm working with the senior management team to make things run smoothly while I finish my high school career, and head to college."

"So, you're still planning to go to Florida State?"

"I wasn't aware that information was public yet, but yes."

"Aren't you afraid that clients, and specifically the military, would be skittish to deal with an owner who may be stretched too thin?"

"I've received a renewed commitment from the military this afternoon."

"There are reports that this was a homicide?"

"The accident is under investigation, as I am sure all fatal crashes are. I'd like to add that my heart and condolences go out to the family of James Birch, the driver of the car. If there is anything I can do to help ease your suffering, please call our office. Thank you all for your concern. Good Night."

With that, he walked back toward the screen. The scene blurred around and Ashley's face appeared, sad and tired. "I hope you all got to see that." She bobbed a bit when a blast of cold night air breezed in from the main doors opening. "It's freakin' cold here. Good luck on the game. I'll talk to y'all later, at 9, I hope. Love yas!" She blew a kiss, and the screen blurred as they heard her say, "how you turn it off?" Then it went blank. Some of those around the girls chuckled at Ashley's ignorance on how to end the transmission, but they were weak.

Jill could hardly see, her eyes were tearing up so bad. Jasmine came up to her and said, "I saw her wearing a coat. Someone is looking out for her."

Jill grabbed her in a hug and started sobbing, "I feel so bad for them! To rush all the way up there, only to find out they still didn't make it in time."

Jasmine said to her, "Joe's still with it, that's a good sign."

"Yeah, but for how long? He's running on adrenaline, did you see his eyes?" Jill sniffed.

Jasmine broke down, sobbing while she said, "of course I did. I was trying to make you feel better, you idiot."

Jill hugged her friend tighter. "I know, sweetheart. I know. It's just that I feel so bad for him. He's so sweet, he even gave the driver's family his sympathy, yet the reporters were questioning whether he could run the company. The whole thing just sucks."

Their coaches started working to get the teams in place for the beginning of the game. Bonifay's PA system called for a moment of silence, honoring the memory of Joe's parents. After the coin toss, Coach Mike pleaded with his team to play for Joe. It roused them, but towards the end of the half, their hearts just weren't in the game.

Chapter 21

Details, Details

Cindy noticed Ashley stamping her feet in the cool lobby, even though she was still wearing the coat. "Ashley, why don't you come with me to the hotel? I've got some things in my bag that could fit you."

"Thanks, Cindy, but I can get my own." She paused. "Wait, damnit. My wallet is still in my locker. Oh man!"

Joe said, "Cindy, if you could get us a ride to the nearest mall, I'll get some things for Ashley and me. You can go ahead to the hotel."

Cindy said okay and gave Joe the hotel information. "Just check in at the desk, and they'll give you the keys. My room is next to yours, if you need anything." She reached into her briefcase pocket and pulled out a battery. "Ashley give me your phone." She did and Cindy swapped out the battery pack. She reached in and handed Joe one as well, which he swapped quickly and handed her the spent one. "I'll throw these on the charger in my room. Take care, and I'll talk to you soon for the conference call."

Joe and Ashley went outside to find the limo waiting for them, already warmed up. Joe asked the driver to take them to the mall nearest their hotel, and they rode off. As Joe sat next to Ashley, he could feel the chill of her legs through his jeans. He picked one of her legs up and swung it over his lap, starting to rub it briskly. He barely noticed that his maneuver had opened up her panties to his view.

"Your legs are so cold," he said, rubbing it furiously.

"Yes, but you don't have to worry about that." She closed her eyes. "Although your hands feel marvelously hot."

He grabbed her other leg and brought it next to her previous one, and he started rubbing both. "Well, thanks for coming with me. I hope you don't get in trouble for leaving class like that. I meant what I said to the reporters. I'd have gone berserk if you weren't with me."

Ashley laid back, allowing herself to be warmed by Joe's rubbing. "I would be beside myself if I hadn't come. It's the least I could do, and I'll pay you back for my things."

"Meh, don't worry about that."

"Joe, how did you know you could thunder away like that to the general?"

Joe looked at her in surprise. "What were you able to hear through the door?"

She propped her head up with her arms. "Nothing, just your voice got loud. I couldn't make out what you were saying, but he didn't look happy when he left."

Joe said quietly, "he started it by calling me son. I gambled that dressing him down in front of his peers would make him listen. It did, because he said he would talk with Cindy to set something up after the funeral."

She sat up as they pulled into a large mall parking lot, leaned over, and kissed Joe sweetly. "You're amazing," she said.

"As are you," he returned.

The driver pulled up to the main entrance and handed back a business card to Joe. "When you're ready, just give me a call, and I'll meet you right here." Joe thanked him, and they got out. They crunched gingerly through the snow to the front door, taking care not to slip.

Ashley received several odd looks as she stood there just inside the entrance, teeth chattering audibly. Her hair was still tied in a pony tail with a green and gold ribbon, her new coat covered her top and would-be exposed stomach, but her flat-front cheer skirt looked impossibly short for the weather outside, given her bare legs, and shoes covered in melting snow. "You fucking come straight from Florida to this and see how you look," she muttered under her shaking breath.

Joe asked her, "are you okay?"

She looked at him, lips shivering, "do I look okay? I just peed myself a little, I'm so cold." His eyes shot down to her legs. "No, not that bad. I'm trying not to be a wuss, but I can't help it. I'm shaking so bad, I went just a little. Let's find something quick before it gets worse."

He suggested they go to a department store, as they might find everything they need in one stop. She agreed, and they headed in the direction that the directory pointed them to. Ashley ducked off into a hallway advertising restrooms, and rejoined Joe. "Much better, but I think they were colder than outside," she quipped. "I thought my butt was going to freeze to the seat." She was happy that Joe gave a little laugh.

Inside the department store, they decided it would be quicker to split up and shop. Ashley headed to the petites section and started looking around. She grabbed a pair of cute jeans and a Broncos sweatshirt, when she noticed the department manager eyeing her closely. She marched up to the woman and said, "excuse me, I just flew here from Florida on emergency. Do you think I could change into these and hand you the tags while I shop some more? My boyfriend will pay for them shortly..."

The woman got a look of realization and said, "the news was talking about a football player losing his parents. Was that y'all?" Ashley nodded. "Oh, I'm very sorry for your loss. Sure, I'll help you with whatever you need."

Ashley gave her a look of relief. She grabbed a pair of underwear and headed back to the manager, plucked off the tags on what she got so far and handed them to her. "Could I also get maybe a plastic shopping bag? I'd like to put what I got on in it."

"Oh you poor dear. Certainly. Here's your bag, and the dressing rooms are right here."

Ashley thanked her and went in. She came back out looking refreshed in her warmer clothes. "Oh, thanks a million. I feel so much better!" she said to the woman. The manager shrugged it off and set about helping Ashley pick out clothing she'd need the next couple of days before heading back to Florida. She even thought of something Ashley didn't, her shoes.

"Those won't do in this snow. They're designed for tumbling on a non-slip gym floor. Out there, they're good for nothing but you ending up on your hind end." She helped Ashley pick through some pairs, and Ashley settled on some hiking boots that looked cute on her, and a pair of flats that had flexible rubber soles. She put on the warm, comfortable boots, swapping them for her cheer shoes in the box. About that time, Joe came over, wearing his same jeans, but subbed the jersey for a flannel shirt that looked handsome on him. Oddly, he was empty handed.

"You look great," he said. "I really like your shoes and jeans."

She bounced up to him, giving him a kiss. "Thanks, honey," she said. "Thanks to Ms. Wright here, I feel much better."

Her playful approach to Joe amused the manager. "This must be your boyfriend. I am very sorry to hear of your loss."

"Thanks, I appreciate that. How much damage did she do?"

"Not bad. Actually, under the circumstances, I'll give you half off."

"That's not necessary..." he started.

"No, it is. I wasn't particularly friendly when this poor dear came up, and I want to make it up to her." With that, she rang the purchases up and told him the total was $158.

Joe paused, and Ashley thought he was thinking it was too much. "Oh, I'm sorry. I said I'll pay you back when we get home..."

"No, that's not it. It's too little. You have like six outfits here, and two pairs of nice shoes. Plus all that ladies' underwear costs a bit, doesn't it? It should be way more."

Ashley said, "It's only three bras and six panties."

The manager offered, "well, two of the outfits were on clearance, and the shoes and her underwear were on sale, plus my discount."

Joe looked at Ashley. "You sure you don't need more? Look, it all fits in two bags."

"Well, I don't know. How long are we staying? It doesn't matter to me, I'll stay with you until you're done, but I was thinking we might be heading back on Tuesday. Just tell me, and I can plan what I need better."

Ms. Wright tried to help. "You could start with this and if you need more, you can come back. I'll fix you up."

Ashley said, "yeah, I would, but my wallet is still in my locker. In Florida."

Joe looked like he made up his mind. "No, this is fine. I'm not trying to fight. Just trying to make sure you're comfortable."

Ashley grabbed his arm and led him a short distance away. Quietly, but firmly she said, "Joe, I know you're trying to help. But you can't help everyone. Not all at once. If I had my debit card with me we wouldn't be having this conversation. Let's agree that on this trip, I'll be able to decide what I really need, and I'll agree you'll tell me what you need from me. Okay?" Joe nodded and she released his arm.

They went back to the counter, and Joe handed his card to the manager. "That will be all for this evening. Thank you."

She finished the transaction and went in the dressing room and retrieved Ashley's things. She handed the coat to her. "The rest of your purchases, can I take them to package pickup for you? You can shop around the mall unencumbered and have your taxi pick you up there."

Joe dialed a number on his phone and smiled at her. "That won't be necessary, but thank you."

His phone's speaker crackled, "Yes, Mr. Smith?"

"Yeah, could you come over here and take our stuff to our driver?"

"Certainly, sir."

Ashley looked at Joe, not understanding. In a few seconds, a large man in a suit came over and collected Ashley's purchases, along with her makeshift laundry bag. "I'll put them with the others and load them in the car for you, Mr. Smith."

"Thank you." He looked at the dumbfounded manager. "If I'm gonna have security agents follow me around, they might as well be put to good use, right?" He winked at her as he led Ashley downstairs and into the mall.

"We're being tailed?" she asked.

"Yes. When we split up, an Air Force officer in plain clothes was keeping an eye on you."

"Well, I don't know how to feel about that, Joe. Better that I'm safe, or worse because I know we might have someone after us."

Joe sighed and said, "let's go eat." He led them to where he remembered the directory said the food court was.

Ashley started to feel more comfortable now, being dressed in warmer clothing, and no one stared at her, aside from the occasional roaming male eyes she was used to. She pulled her phone out of her coat pocket and turned it on. She was relieved that her friends and family got the hint, as there were no messages and no more missed calls. Ashley glanced behind her and in the packed Friday night mall, made eye contact with a female in a sweater and jeans. She had seen her before outside the restroom, then again in the department store, and knew immediately it was her shadow. Cindy's words earlier about being shocked came back to her, and she pushed the knowledge she was being followed to the side. Cindy was right, it is easier to just go with it.

They found a sit down restaurant at the far end of the food court and went inside. Her and Joe's shadows took up a table together, two over from theirs. "Jesus, do they have to be everywhere we are?" she asked.

He said, "yes. But I don't think we're in any real danger."

"What makes you think that?"

"Well, I think that second car they found will turn out to be just a stalled vehicle, and my parents' driver accidentally clipped it in the snow. You saw how slick it was, just walking in from the limo."

"I hope you're right." She grabbed his hand. "How are you doing? With...all this?"

He squeezed it and said, "I really don't know. Part of me feels like we'll get back home, and they'll be there. Yet, I know I saw them in the hospital, and their skin was cold when I kissed their foreheads. I'm just gonna take things as they come, like this afternoon."

The waiter came, and they placed their orders. After he left and went to their shadows' table, she thought of something. "Do you think those guys you fired will contest the termination, and say it was because of your grief? Or would they come after us?"

Joe shrugged. "Either way, my decision is final. It was something my parents should have done a while ago. I was surprised that Bob was one of the one's against us. I had planned on making him CEO when I take Carter public."

"Who's it going to be now?"

"Not sure. Maybe Ben, but definitely one of the five you saw today. Whoever it is, I'm naming the other four to the board of directors. They're good guys."

Their meals came, and they chitchatted about random things. Joe talked easily, now, but Ashley could tell that today's events weighed heavier on him than he tried to let on. When they finished their dinner, the waiter cleared their plates and they sipped on the refilled sodas. Ashley's phone rang, and she fished it out of her coat pocket.

"Hi Cindy."

"Hey. Y'all ready for your conference call?"

"Hey Joe, turn on your phone. It's time. Yes, we're ready."

"Okay. You've got the number?"

"Yes. I'll give it to Joe, so he can call in on his phone, too."

"Perfect. I'll hang up now and call in in a few seconds to start the meeting, so y'all can chat freely without hearing that recording every 15 seconds."

"Thanks, Cindy."

Ashley hung up and she and Joe dialed the number and the code. They were greeted with a recording, "The moderator has not yet started this meeting. Please wait a few more moments." As they held the line, a few two-toned beeps signaled that people were signing in. The recorded phrase repeated, and after it finished, someone said, "hello?"

Ashley replied, "hey Kim. Cindy's coming on in a second to get rid of the recording."

"Okay. You sound tired, are you okay?"

"Yeah, thanks. Joe just got us some warmer stuff, so I'm better now. How do you take the cold in Minneapolis?"

Kim said, "well, tonight definitely was not fun. It started snowing hard in the second quarter. Didn't let up the rest of the game."

Through the exchange, the line beeped several times as more joined the call. A recording played just as Kim finished her thought. "The moderator for this call has started the meeting. Thank you for using AT&T Business Services."

Cindy's voice came over, "good evening everyone. Before y'all start, I'd like to do a voice check to make sure everyone can hear each other. Joe?"

"Here."

"Ashley?"

"Here"

"Mr. Roberts?"

"Present"

"Mrs. Roberts?"

"I'm here"

"Jasmine."

"Hey Cindy!"

"Hi sweetheart. Jill?"

"Hey Cindy."

"Hello, darlin'. Kim?"

"I missed you Cindy."

"You as well, dear. I was given a list for seven, but there's eight participants. Who else is on the line?"

"This is Sister Kate."

Jill said, "I gave her the number, I hope you all don't mind."

Cindy answered, "Not a problem. I've scheduled the call for an hour. I'll hang up now, but if you need more time, I've assigned administrator privileges to Ashley's connection. She can add more time when the recording prompts. Good night, everyone." A double beep announced her disconnection.

Sister Kate came on. "I won't be long. I know I speak for the entire school and community when I say that we are very sorry for your loss, Joe."

"Thank you, Sister K. It means a lot."

"Well, your parents were fantastic advocates of Catholic High, but more than that, I got to know them personally, and they will be truly missed. Take as long as you need, I'll work on exemptions with the state for attendance requirements if you take off through January 1."

"Thanks again, I don't think that will be necessary, though. I should be back by Friday, I hope."

"Well, you have some leeway, if you change your mind. Ashley, I wish you hadn't left suddenly, but I can understand your reasons. The state high school board won't give you much room for your absence, as you are not directly related to Joe or his parents. I have to advise you to return by the following Monday, if you wish to graduate with your class. They allow three weeks excused absence during the year. You've already had to use two for the accident recovery. Not trying to pick bones with you. I'm trying to keep you on schedule."

photodad
photodad
492 Followers