Angel's Call Ch. 04

Story Info
Who is the woman and what happened to her?
3k words
4.69
18.6k
7

Part 4 of the 10 part series

Updated 10/09/2022
Created 04/15/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
tenger
tenger
39 Followers

Thanks a lot to techsan who edited the story pretty quickly and turned it into a better one.

*

"Does it hurt? Can you talk?" Chris asked excitedly.

The woman only cried in response and the baby, probably disturbed by the noise, woke up crying, too.

"Oh, great! Now we have two angels crying in the same room. Hey, come on, little darling, you wouldn't want Dr.Geoffrey to blame me for this mess, would you?" Chris said turning to the baby and lifting her out of the cradle.

"Look, your mother is awake. Maybe she'd like to see you. Would you Ms... what is your name anyway?"

Anna's brain was still fogged and it took her a little while to process the information that the baby was her daughter. She remembered the pain she felt in the alley. She had tried to crawl towards the exit but it was blank afterwards.

"It hurts so much," was the first coherent sentence that Anna Collins could manage to form, then, "Is that my daughter? Let me see her."

"I'll ask Dr. Geoffrey if they can give you some stronger painkiller. He said they were already giving you one. What is your name?" Chris asked again.

"Are you a nurse?" Anna asked tears still flowing down from her cheeks.

"No, I am not a nurse. I am Chris Taylor, a teacher. I found you in an alley the night before last. You are in a hospital now and you are safe from whoever did this to you. I don't know what happened but I gave my word to your daughter that I will not leave you until I see both of you are fine so I am staying. I have no attachments and the whole weekend off to stay here if needed, meaning you are lucky. This, by the way, is your daughter who is also fine, although the doctor said that she came a little early. The police think you are Anna Collins and they are trying to reach your uncle but we don't know if he's going to show up yet. Oh, here's Dr. Geoffrey who took care of you when I brought you in here."

"Well, well, look who is awake. I wasn't expecting you to wake up so soon."

"It hurts a lot."

"You have a few broken ribs, a broken leg, a broken arm, and lost a considerable amount of blood. We had to make an emergency C-section to save you and your baby and adding the fact that somebody used you for a punching bag just before all this happened can be the reason. I'll order another shot of painkiller. Do you remember what happened to you?"

She started crying again and, in a barely audible voice, said, "Yes."

Chris interrupted the doctor, "Aren't you a little harsh? I'll try to talk to her after the medication takes effect. Do you think she can make a statement?"

"If she feels up to it, yes, but I'd advise her to wait until tomorrow at least. What is your name, by the way?"

"Anna Collins," was the trembling answer.

Chris turned to Anna, "Do you think you can make a statement to the police? It might do good to clear my name out of all this."

A weak "yes" was heard and Dr.Geoffrey said it was fine with him, he would call Sergeant Young. He gave instructions for a new painkiller and left.

Heather came in with the new medicine and after she injected it into the IV she asked Anna if she would like to breastfeed her daughter.

"Yes, but I don't know if I can manage it."

"I will help. You won't be able to sit or turn on your side for a few days. Mr. Taylor, can you give the little angel to me and leave for a while. I hope she's hungry."

Chris handed the little baby to Heather after kissing her forehead and whispering, "Little angel, hold on to your mother. I'll be back shortly."

He went upstairs to the cafe where he had a quick late lunch and back to room 205 where he wanted to be when the police came. He knocked and heard Heather's voice.

"Come in."

"I hope you're done. Are you feeling better now, Ms. Collins?"

"I feel like trash."

"Don't say so. You'll be fine in a short while. Is the pain better?"

Heather popped her head in, "The sergeant is here, I'll take the baby to pediatrics so they can check her and change her diapers."

"Please bring her back."Anna pleaded.

"I will."

"Mr. Taylor, can you stay? I don't want to be alone," Anna asked, quite unsure of herself.

"I'll ask the cop. I don't know know what their procedure is."

"Thank you."

The cop who had taken Chris's statement earlier came in after knocking.

"I thought you wouldn't be on duty today."

"I thought you would be long gone by now."

"Oh, here's Ms. Collins. She is awake but hasn't told anything to us yet. Can I stay with you while you write down her statement?"

"Normally we don't allow that. Give me five minutes. If it's fine with her, I'll make an exception for you afterwards." Sergeant Young answered and continued speaking to Ms. Collins. Chris went out of the room.

"I am Sergeant Mark Young, Ms. Collins. This tape here will record all you say and I am going to get that written down once I get back to the station, then I will request you to read and sign the statement. Ok?"

"Ok."

"Firstly, what is your name?"

"Anna Collins."

"Do you know the man who just went out of your room?"

"He introduced himself to me as Mr. Taylor."

"Did you know him before? Does he have anything to do with the state you are in right now?"

"No, I didn't know him. And, no, he hasn't done anything to me."

"Do you want him to be in this room while I record your statement?"

"Can he?"

"If you want, I'll call him in."

"Please."

Sergeant Taylor went out and invited Chris in and started questioning her again.

"Can you tell me what happened to you on the night you were found?"

"It was Stephen who had decided to get rid of me at last."

"Who is this Stephen?"

"The guy who kidnapped me, locked me up, treated me like a slave, physically and sexually and beat me and left me to die in that dark alley."

"Is he the father of the baby?"

"Yes, but he never wanted her."

"Where can we find this guy?"

"I don't know. I was going home one night after work when he dragged me into his car. He made me smell something, and I don't remember where we went after that. I woke up in a windowless room and have practically been there ever since then. I don't even know how much time has passed. What's the date today?"

"Friday, April 14."

"It has been so long. When he realized I was pregnant he went mad but he couldn't take me out for an abortion. He used to beat me, trying for a miscarriage but it never happened and last night he decided to get rid of me totally, I guess."

"Do you have any idea who he is? Did you hear any voices in the house or near the house that can help us to identify the place?"

"No, I have no idea, but he seemed to have followed me for quite a while before he kidnapped me. He knew that my parents were dead and there wouldn't be anybody who would look for me once I went missing. And, no, it was quiet. Maybe it was soundproof. I couldn't even hear the street noise. I've been so alone and afraid for my baby. I was afraid of going crazy. I tried to get out but he had me locked up in a little room. About the other night, I don't remember being dumped in an alley. I must have been unconscious. But I remember trying to get myself out of there. I thought it was a nightmare. I wished it to be one."

"Would you recognize the guy if you looked at some photos?"

"I sure would, although I'd rather not see him again."

"I would like you to come to the police station and look at some photo albums after you are discharged from the hospital. Do you have any place to go?"

"I was living in my parents' house on Down Street. I guess I'll go back there if it's still standing."

"Ms. Collins, I would like to and have to interrogate this case further but I do need your cooperation. I understand that you are not very well right now. I'll trust this man to bring you to the station after you are discharged. By the way, I brought your statement in for you to sign, Mr.Taylor."

"Thank you. Can I have a few words with you outside?"

"Let's go out."

They went out side by side and Chris asked the cop if he knew the address of the house she was talking about. He said the department ran a check on it and it was standing just like it was left about a year ago. The uncle hadn't bothered to show up and assume the place.

"Can you help me get in? I don't think she has the key. I want to have the place ready to go by the time she can go there."

"Meet me at 153 Down Street tomorrow at 10 o'clock."

"I owe you a lot, man."

"You seem like a decent man. Take good care of her. She will have lots of problems."

"You can count on me."

"I hope so."

Chris went back into the room, found that she was crying and he couldn't say anything. Mumbling something about checking the baby, he went out again.

Praying "Dear God, please help me find the power to help her," he sat in a chair in the corridor until Heather came with the baby.

"I'll be going home in fifteen minutes. She did fine with her mother and I'll give information about her situation to Nina who will be taking over for the night. Will you stay?"

"I don't know. I'll ask Ms. Collins and I have to go home to change some time anyway," Chris answered, thinking about Lisa and how he would go to that house to pack his things. He needed to find a new apartment first. He couldn't move to his own house because the rental agreement was not expired yet.

"I have to take the baby back if you are not staying."

"Let's go in and ask."

Chris knocked on the door and entered the room together with Heather and the baby.

"Ms. Collins, I would like to stay here for the night but, if you don't want, I can go and come back in the morning."

"Why are you doing this?"

"Because I gave my promise to this little one. Does she have a name?"

"I thought of calling her Angela. She seems like a little angel."

"That's what I thought, too. Would you like me to stay? Heather has to take Angela back if I'm going."

"How would I trust you? What if you are a friend of Stephen?" The thought had just came to her. A few moments ago she couldn't stand being alone. Now, she couldn't bring herself to trust a man she didn't know.

"I can only give my word and add that I'd gladly beat him senseless if I had the chance of knowing who and where he is," Chris answered angrily.

"Heather, do you know this man?" Anna asked the nurse.

"No, but after all he went through for you, I started to believe that he is of a rare species. He was practically awake all of the last two nights checking on you and the baby."

"Then it would be too much to ask for you to stay although I'd like Angela to be close to me."

"I need to go, take a bath, shave and change but I'd gladly come back. Believe me or not, there is a little voice in me nagging all the time that I should see that you two are fine."

"It is hard to stay alone after all that time alone. I keep thinking he'll come back," Anna muttered. She was going back to her own inside world.

"Nina, the nurse on duty after Heather, will keep an eye on you until I come back then."

"I'll take Angela back to pediatrics. You can take her on your way back," Heather interrupted.

"Thanks, will I see you tomorrow?" Chris asked Heather.

"I'll be here on duty tomorrow morning. See you, Ms. Collins. Angela, say bye to your mother."

Chris went out to his car and headed towards his old apartment. Luckily neither George nor Lisa were there. He didn't feel like he could stand another confrontation. He packed some of his belongings in two suitcases, left a note telling George to send his other stuff to his parents house and took off. After giving some thought on where to go, he decided on the Stardust Hotel for a few days until he found a new apartment.

The shower was like a blessing. The hot water falling on his shoulders erased all the tension that was collected during the last two days. He fell on the bed relaxed and tired and looked around the hotel room. It was a standard one with plain ivory wallpaper, two single beds, a TV and a minibar. There was a cheap painting hanging over the television about some forest, just like the kind they teach you to paint in five minutes on tv. He liked it though. Especially the bed seemed comfortable and welcoming.

He thought, "I need to plan my schedule for the classes next week." And feeling miserable he fell asleep.

Two hours later he jumped from a nightmare starring Anna and an unknown man. He knew he had to go to the hospital but his stomach was growling from neglect. Deciding to give the hotel restaurant a chance, he went downstairs. About an hour later he figured that he felt fine to go.

Angela was crying and the nurse was desperately trying to console her when he reached pediatrics.

"I have come for that little crying angel," he said, recognizing the baby.

"Are you sure? She seems like a little devil to me right now. I haven't been able to stop her crying although she has just seen her mother."

Chris took the baby in his arms. "Maybe she doesn't want to be away from her." And the baby stopped crying immediately.

The stunned nurse looked at Chris and said, "Maybe she doesn't want to be away from you."

"I can handle her from now on. I'll be with them through the night. When is the changing time?" Chris said with a renewed courage he gained from Angela.

"Here, take these diapers and baby wipes. You'll know when to change."

"It seems like you want to get rid of her."

"I've got five other crying babies here. If you can take care of her, it'll be a great relief."

"I'll try though I will bring her back if I can't manage it."

"Thanks."

So Chris went back to Room 205 with Angela, diapers and baby wipes. He saw Nina behind the desk where Heather sat during the day.

"Hello, Mr.Taylor. I am glad you're back. Ms. Collins is not feeling very well, I think. She could use some company."

"Is her health ok?"

"As fine as she can be but she is restless and can't sleep."

"It's no wonder after all she's been through. Let's see if Angela can change her mood."

The door was open for Nina to be able to see Anna if she needed something and he walked right in. "Ms. Collins, I thought you would be asleep by now," and added with a cheerful voice, "Sorry it took me so long. I had to go back to my old place to pack and check in a hotel where I fell asleep."

"Never mind. I thought you wouldn't come back. Why did you, anyway? I cleared your name, didn't I? You shouldn't be interrupting your life because of me," Anna said with an edgy voice.

"No interruption on my side, it was something I had to do as soon as possible," Chris answered patiently. He knew the road to gaining her trust wasn't full of flowers.

"Why?"

"Because I caught my fiancee in my bed having wild sex with my apartment mate and decided to let both of them go to hell by moving out."

"Sorry."

"Well, maybe you should thank them. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't be wandering out on the streets in the middle of a weekday night to find you."

"And you could have been dead," Chris thought further, the thought making him more uneasy than he'd like to.

"Well, I don't know how to thank you and I have no idea why you're doing this but thank you. You are our hero." Anna said nervously and pointing to Angela she continued in a softer voice, "She is a miracle. Can you hold her close to me? I wonder how she can look at me and not be afraid. I must be looking terrible. Nina refused to give me a mirror."

"She has some right not to but I'm sure very soon you will be as beautiful as you've been before. Here you are. Is this ok?" Chris put the baby right in front of her mother's face and held her there.

"This is good," Anna said and closing her eyes she fell asleep as she smelled her baby daughter.

*

Thanks a lot for your patience, I'll try to post the next chapter soon. Don't forget to vote, please, it only takes a second.

tenger
tenger
39 Followers