Angel's Call Ch. 05-06

Story Info
Chris helps Anna as the time to go home comes.
3.8k words
4.7
19k
6

Part 5 of the 10 part series

Updated 10/09/2022
Created 04/15/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
tenger
tenger
39 Followers

Thanks a lot to techsan who edited the story pretty quickly and turned it into a better one.

*

Chapter Five

Chris examined Anna's features for a while. She had long curly blondish brown hair which was tied in a ponytail but a few strands fell on her face. Her face was almost completely bruised making it hard to imagine her real features. And her eyes were green, he remembered. The light in them was lost but he hoped to see that light back in her eyes before he went out of Anna and Angela's lives.

Anna was sleeping in peace when Chris changed Angela's diaper and found that it wasn't such a hard thing to do. About midnight Anna started crying and trying to free herself from the hospital equipment in her sleep.

Chris tried to wake her up first. But possibly because of the effect of the medication she was taking, she couldn't wake up. Then he took her hand into one of his hand and held her in place with his other hand and started to talk soothingly.

"Ms. Collins, please calm down. You are safe now. You are not with Stephen. You are safe. I am here. Please calm down. You will wake Angela."

Anna calmed down and went back to her sleep but she didn't seem very comfortable and about an hour later she woke up screaming.

"Help me! Help me!"

Chris rushed to her side and made her look at him to make her understand that she was in a safe place now. Nina ran to the room and asked if anything was wrong.

"Ms. Collins was having a nightmare but she is awake now," Chris answered.

"Are you feeling fine, Ms.Collins? As you are awake, you may as well feed Angela."

"Y-yes, I think I am fine," Anna said, trying to gather her thoughts and get rid of the effects of the nightmare. "Please bring her here."

"I'll go out for a cup of coffee," Chris said.

Half an hour later, when Chris returned, room 205 was again in peace with its members soundly sleeping. He decided to doze off in the chair, too.

Around four in the morning Angela woke up hungrily. Nina helped Anna again while Chris waited outside.

Heather woke Chris up when she came on duty. He couldn't remember having a more uncomfortable sleep since two days ago. Now it felt like he didn't sleep at all. Anna and Angela were yet asleep. Heather said she has to wake Anna up for medication and she would take the IV out, too.

"Angela should be hungry by now, too. I'll go up for breakfast." Chris said and went out before Heather woke Anna up.

It seemed like he was getting used to this unhealthy breakfast style of coffee and sandwich but that was the best he could get there. Remembering his appointment with Sergeant Young, he checked his watch and saw that he had about half an hour to leave the hospital.

He went down to room 205 to find a restless Anna.

"I thought you were gone," she said like a stubborn kid.

"I said I won't, not until I see both you and Angela are fine and that means that I'll see you get out of this hospital. But I have to go now for a couple of hours. Will you be ok?"

She suddenly seemed oblivious, "It seems strange to see the sun shine. I never gave much thought to it before. It is beautiful. There is so much darkness on this world, though, so much darkness it cannot shed a candle light on."

"Ms. Collins, I have to go but I'll be back, ok?"

"Call me Anna, please. Yes, Heather has to take Angela to pediatrics, I guess, while you are not here."

"Yes, she will but please concentrate on thinking positive things and watch some TV while I am gone. I'll tell Heather that I am going. See you soon."

Chris arrived at 153 Down Street ten minutes early and waited in his car for Sergeant Young to show up. It was a lovely two storey detached house with a small garden which was in a mess due to neglect. The sergeant arrived on time accompanied by a locksmith. A neighbor asked questions about what was going on and after the sergeant shortly told her that Anna would be back in a few days and they were there to prepare the house for her, she disappeared into her own house.

The locksmith produced two keys to the house. Chris thanked him, paid for his service and went inside with Sergeant Young.

"Wow, this place needs a thorough cleaning," said the sergeant.

"And painting," continued Chris, "and a room arrangement for Angela."

"I somehow trust you to make the best out of this. Do you know when they are going to discharge her out of the hospital?"

"Dr.Geoffrey said it is up to her development but in case she has a helper at home, it might be as soon as a week."

"My mother has a friend who is a retired nurse. I'll call her if you want."

"That will be fine. Thank you. You seem to care for Ms. Collins more than just a case," Chris stated.

"Man, your enthusiasm in this must have effected me. Keep the keys. You can give them to Ms. Collins after you are done. Don't think I won't check on you, anyway."

"Can I ask one more favor?"

"Yes."

"Don't tell her anything about this before I get a chance to explain it, all right?"

"Not a word, I swear."

"Thanks."

Chris phoned his parents' housekeeper and asked for a reliable cleaning company. After arranging the cleaning for Wednesday, he made a mental note to pay the electricity, water and gas bills the next day so that the house would be ready for the cleaners.

He went through the rooms and found that there were three bedrooms upstairs, one of which seemed like Anna's childhood room. There was a single bed on the post of which was a beautiful violet rose, a closet which contained some worn out toys, and an oriental rug which seemed gray because of the dust. The sun was trying to shine happily through the dusty window.

"This is the room," the little voice had spoken again. He agreed that it would be the best room to convert for Angela. Deciding to come back after the cleaning company did its job, he went back to the hotel, and took his laptop and some books to make plans for the next week's classes while he was in the hospital.

When he came back it was past noon. Anna was dozing but he could see it was a restless sleep. He left his stuff by her bedside and walked down the corridor to take Angela. A doctor said she had to be kept in an incubator for a while as she had developed jaundice but they would take her to Anna during feeding times. He felt the world move beneath his feet and asked the doctor if she was going to be all right. The doctor did his best to assure him that this was a pretty common case and she would be well after a day or two in phototherapy. Chris tried to look brave and went back to Anna hoping that she wouldn't ask about Angela for a while.

After crying for some time after hearing about Angela's sickness, she calmed down and started to watch TV with unseeing eyes. Chris settled down to prepare his weekly class schedule and explained to her that he has to be away at school during the week but he would come back after school as long as she needed him. She didn't answer; she was away from this world.

The week started with Chris dozing off once more in the chair. Angela was better but was to be kept under the blue light. Anna was barely speaking. He went to school, ran to the electric, water and gas departments in his lunch break, went back to school in the afternoon and was in time to see that Anna refused to eat her dinner made up of disgusting hospital food according to Chris but he had to persuade her to eat at least some of it, if not for herself, for Angela.

Tuesday was almost the same with his lunchbreak spent in a baby shop, this time. He bought everything that a little baby girl could need and want and left the shop with a much lighter wallet than he had brought in. The items would be delivered to her house on Friday, which was the day he was planning to skip going to school for the second week in a row. The end of the semester was not far and children were already in spring mood anyway. Some discussion with Dr.Geoffrey revealed the fact that she might be well enough to go home by Monday, so he had to be quick. Mrs. Sanders, the retired nurse friend of Sergeant Young's mother, would also come on Friday. He hoped she would be a nice old lady who would like to help him arrange and prepare the house.

Wednesday's lunchbreak was spent in checking the cleaners, Thursday's lunchbreak went to painting and arranging Angela's room. He decided not to paint the rest of the house as there was no time and he didn't actually know what color she would like. On Thursday afternoon a gardener came and put the little garden in order with green grass all over, neat bushes on the borders and some flowery plants here and there.

He kept going to see Anna in the evenings and stayed through the nights. She physically looked better now and could sit with some help but she was crying at odd moments, not talking very much and seemed timid. Dr.Geoffrey advised therapy but she didn't want it.

On Friday, the house was almost ready. Mrs. Sanders came and, deciding to help the guy, ran an inventory of kitchen stuff and made a long list that she thought had to be bought for the young mother and the baby. Chris went out and did the shopping and while Mrs. Sanders put them in the pantry, the baby stuff which Chris had bought for Angela a few days ago, were delivered.

"Oh, look how cute the little flowers on this bed are," Mrs. Sanders shouted. "You even bought a little merry-go-round! Oh, I love this lullaby. How sweet of you to go through all this for her. She must have a big wallet for all this though."

"No, I didn't charge her for anything and I won't."

"What? You are unbelievable kind. Why are you doing all this then?"

"I feel sorry for what happened to her and want to help, that's all."

Mrs. Sanders left Chris to organize Angela's room talking to herself, "I didn't think such men existed on this planet."

Chapter Six

When Chris entered room 205 that night the house was ready for its new guests but he saw that Anna wasn't ready to go at all. She was crying once more.

"Anna, are you in pain? Can I do anything to help you?"

"No, you can't bring my last year back, can't erase my memories of that horrible man, can't even understand me. Why are you so helpful to me? Are you some kind of freak obsessed with me, too? I don't need you. I don't need your pity, so go. I don't need you."

Chris felt his joy shatter. He had come to tell her that her house was ready but he forgot about that and only blurted that Mrs. Sanders, who will help her after the hospital discharged her, will come in the morning.

"I guess I should go. Goodbye, sweet angel. Take good care of your mother," Chris said to Angela and kissed her on her forehead as loving as a father can be. He could swear the little voice shouting angrily, "Don't go!"

When he went out of the room he saw Nina and told her that he wasn't needed anymore. Nina stared at the door unbelievingly and went in to ask if Anna needed something. She returned in a few minutes to confront Chris.

"She is lying in her bed like she doesn't want to live anymore, and she is crying again," Nina reported to Chris.

"I don't think I'll be able to leave her like this and go."

"I figured you were not the kind. Do you have a plan?"

"I'll sit and think for a while. Maybe I can seek some advice from a shrink. Do you have one here?"

"Let me see, there's Dr. Boots on duty tonight. I'll call him to see if he has some free time."

"You are an angel, too."

"Thanks for the compliment though I'd advise you to wait before you jump to conclusions. He might not be available." She spoke into the phone at the nurses' station, "Hello, this is Nina. Can I talk to Dr. Boots?"

Nina arranged a meeting between Dr. Boots and Chris in his office in half an hour so Chris sat and waited for the most part of that thirty minutes trying to figure out a way to help Anna.

"That looks like a very classical case of strong emotional trauma," Dr. Boots said, "and I'd very much advise therapy."

"Her doctor couldn't persuade her to do that and right now as far as I know she has no relatives who would care about her well being. It's only me and I am a stranger who has just been kicked out of her room. The only time she is conversational is when Angela is around, she has been crying most of the time, doesn't eat if not forced, has nightmares in her sleep and I sometimes think she doesn't even want to live."

"She feels she has the right to all of that," the doctor commented. "You could let her feel her grief for a while, because a year is a long time. It takes time to heal that kind of wound. Acting as if it never happened won't help. Maybe you could use Angela, if Anna doesn't hate her. After all she is the daughter of her kidnapper. Concentrate on good things around her. Try to make her take over her daughter's responsibility. Talk about good weather although she seems to be in a hurricane. Take both of them out for a walk in the park on a sunny day.

"Don't try to make her tell all that has happened during the last year but try to make her see that she couldn't change what happened and has to go on. Concentrate on today. Relaxation techniques can help. Be sure this retired nurse help of yours is somewhat bossy. She has to have Ms. Collins eat and do things in the house. Don't leave her with nothing to do for long periods to think over and over on what had happened to her. Try some natural remedies like St. John's Wort, fennel or even lime tea."

"You sound promising but how will I get her to let me into her life to do all that?"

"Does she have any other choice? Well, don't give up on her. She must be really scared from everything right now, including you. It is really unusual for a man to go through so much for somebody whom he doesn't know and it might be scaring her that you could be someone obsessed with her just like the other guy who kidnapped her. Are you?"

"Well, I don't know myself. I simply have a feeling that I've got to see that she is fine. It was quite a miracle to find her and thinking that both she and Angela could've been dead if I wasn't there makes me want to make sure that they are ok."

"At least that sounds like a healthy kind of obsession. Good luck and give me a call if you need to. I could advise some medication for depression, if you can convince her."

"Thanks."

Chris wanted to see Anna for a last time before he went home, so he went to room 205.

"How did your meeting with Dr. Boots go?" Nina asked.

"He gave me a few tips. I can just pray that they'll work. Where's Angela?"

"In the room, asleep. I'll call pediatrics when she wakes up and is fed."

"How is Ms. Collins doing?"

"She is also asleep right now, I think."

"I'll check before I go."

"So you'll be getting a bed to sleep on tonight. A comfortable change."

"How come you are here every night? Don't you do rounds?"

"I packed in my duties in this week. I need to take some time off next week."

"Oh, I see. It must be overwhelming to be here every night."

"It has its benefits and drawbacks. The benefit is a hot, sandy beach with an equally hot guy, next week."

While walking into the dimly lighted room, Chris tried to imagine the woman in a swimsuit but decided that she would prefer a bikini. The hot guy in question was lucky. Nina was a hot blonde with good proportions of curves. She was beautiful, too. A young, bright face and strong build. She must have been doing some kind of sports.

The room was disturbingly quiet. He went to Angela first, kissed her forehead and wished her good night. Then he approached Anna. She was really sleeping but restless again. He could see in the pale bedside lamp that her bruises had started to get lighter, her hair fell onto the pillow and her hand was over the sheets. It was nice to see her getting well, at least physically. And just at that moment she started to cry in her sleep. He reached and held her hand in his.

"Calm down, you aren't in danger anymore. Please let me help you," he said softly.

Anna calmed down surprisingly and a few moments later opened her eyes which showed a great relief along with a faint smile when she saw Chris, then closed her eyes to a more peaceful sleep. Chris took this as a hint that she was pleased that he was there.

He stood but, as he let her hand go, Anna started to toss around again. He tried holding her hand again and saw with relief that it calmed her so he sat there like that until Nina came in.

"It is Angela's milk time. You said you were going to go."

"I couldn't. Everytime I let her hand go, she gets restless. But wait, I'd better not be here when she wakes up. She had kicked me out anyway."

"Fine. I'll wait until you go out. Where can I find you?"

"Right outside."

Nina touched Anna's shoulder, "Ms. Collins, it is time for Angela."

Anna woke up startled. She had just had a dream where Chris was holding her hand in a garden full with colorful wild flowers. Angela was hopping around them and she was happy. Waking up to a dark and lonely hospital room in the middle of the night made her feel depressed once again. Nina arranged the pillows at her back and held Angela.

"Has Mr. Taylor gone?" Anna asked.

"He said you kicked him out which wasn't very wise of you if you ask me," Nina answered trying to avoid the direct answer.

"Why is that?"

"Because he is the only person you've got in this world who really cares about your and Angela's well being right now and you are such a fool to lock his generosity out."

"He could be a freak just like Stephen. He looks obsessed with me and even if he is not he has gone through enough trouble for me anyway."

"Try to see him as a good friend. All the personnel whom he had a word with think that he is a kind modern hero and a rare species of some kind. I have a feeling that he isn't the kind to kidnap and abuse women."

"Angela is done on this side, I think," Anna said to Nina and added quietly, "I don't know where to go if Dr. Geoffrey discharges me."

"You said your parents had a house."

"Yes, but it must be in ruins after a year of neglect and I just can't afford to run it on unemployment money." She started to cry. "I don't even have clothes to put on other than this hospital gown!"

"I have a feeling that everything's going to be all right. Try to get some sleep."

Nina went out to find Chris sitting and dozing off in the chair right outside the door.

"Hi, handsome. I think you might have a chance with Ms. Collins. She's just asked about you and you owe me a dinner for the compliments you got from me."

"Thanks. Shall I sign an IOU?"

"Don't bother. Just your promise will be enough. I see how stubborn you are in keeping those."

"I promise that once she gets all right I'll have you out to dinner."

"She said something about her house being in ruins and that she doesn't have any clothes to put on once she's discharged from here."

"I took care of the house and I'll take care of the rest tomorrow."

"Somehow I knew that!"

"Don't tell her about it please. I'm hoping I can have a chance to explain it to her tomorrow."

"Fine by me. Are you going to go back in?"

"I'll check her before I go."

"I've heard that script somewhere... Wait, it was four hours ago, wasn't it?" Nina said teasingly.

"Oh, all right. I'll try better this time. Can you check if she's asleep?"

After Nina verified that Anna was sleeping Chris went in to say goodbye for the third time during that night. He found Angela was restless this time indicating that she needed to burp. He took her to his shoulder and patted her back lightly until that releasing sound came and she fell asleep. Anna had woken up to Angela's whining but Chris didn't know that she watched him quietly while he helped the baby. After an initial fear of this man hurting Angela, she saw his love for the baby; a part of her wanted to believe that he was a nice man after all and not wanting him to see her awake she shut her eyes.

tenger
tenger
39 Followers
12