Another Near Miss

Story Info
Kaylee makes the best of things on the Serenity.
1.5k words
3.81
24.8k
5
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Cap'n, if we don't get the new parts, Serenity won't make it off the ground."

"Kaylee, we're in a bad way right now. The crew ain't even been paid, as you well know, and we damn sure can't afford any new parts, nor can we spend any more time on this backwater little moon when we got a job to get done. So you make do with what you got." At her exasperated expression, Mal softened. "You can do it, I know how this boat speaks to you. She'll help you figure it out."

Kaylee sighed. "Alright, cap'n."

Mal turned on his heel and strode out of the room, and Kaylee started back in on the engine. For all its excitement, sometimes being a mechanic for a band of outlaws was gorram tiring. Sighing, she brushed a lock of hair from her face, smearing grease across her forehead. She drifted into a reverie as she worked, fantasizing about Simon, that handsome – but stuffy – doctor. She ain't had nothin twixt her nethers t'weren't run on batteries in...hell, a year maybe. But Simon...what Kaylee wouldn't do to bed him. Every time she thought she was gettin' close, though, he'd go all core-planet-doctor on her, locked up tighter'n an airlock in the black. If only...

Kaylee started at a sound behind her. She turned to see Simon standing in the doorway to the engine room, watching her.

"Sorry," he stuttered, "I didn't mean to stare...it's just so fascinating, watching you work. You really do have a way with machines."

Kaylee smiled. "Thanks."

"And you really do look lovely...even in your coveralls, with your arm buried in an engine." With an embarrassed laugh, Kaylee pulled her arm out of the engine, opting instead to fiddle with a screwdriver between her two hands.

Waiting expectantly, she looked over the doctor. He was in a high-collared white shirt, with a dark green vest and black pants. As always, she was amazed at how he stayed so clean-cut even in a life such as theirs. He was just always so...pretty. His dark hair was swept back, accenting his expressive brows and intelligent eyes. His mouth tightened into a small, nervous smile as Kaylee waited for him to speak.

Taking a step closer, Simon let out a small sigh. "To hell with it." Wrapping an arm around Kaylee's waist, he pulled her closer and pressed a kiss to her lips. Kaylee, swooning a little, dropped the screwdriver that was in her hand and put her arms around his neck. With his free hand, Simon quickly unbuttoned and shed his vest and shirt, and unzipped Kaylee's mechanic's jumpsuit. As Simon went to remove his pants, Kaylee pulled his undershirt off over his head, kissing his shoulders and chest, his body already glistening with sweat from the heat of the engine room. His muscled physique shone in the dim lights – how did a classy doctor-type ever get so big? – and his eyes were bright with lust as he peeled off Kaylee's pink tee-shirt. Stripping off the last of their undergarments, Simon laid Kaylee on her back beside the engine. He pushed himself inside her, and a gasp escaped Kaylee's lips. Finally, a real man. Finally, Mr. Handsome Doctor let himself go. He grunted as he thrust into her. Her body filled with ecstasy as he took her, and...

"Kaylee, is my ship ready yet?"

Kaylee jumped, and looked over at Mal, who'd just come back. Dammit...it was just gettin' good, too...

"Yes, cap'n."

"Good. Now I just gotta find that gorram pilot of mine..."

"I think Wash is in the infirmary with Zoe."

Mal nodded, and stepped out again.

Poking his head in the infirmary, Mal saw Zoe sitting on the exam table, the doc patching up a cut on her leg – an unfortunate side effect of things not going smooth. Wash was beside her, and the two were smiling and chatting, with the doc being all serious and stoic-like, as always.

"Zoe, how ya doin?"

"Fine, sir. But please, next time you plan on taking a job with a group of sexist bastards...tell me first? Or maybe take Jayne...they're just dumb enough to like him."

Mal smiled, tight-lipped. "Noted. Wash, we ready to get off this rock?"

"Yep."

"Good. Get to the bridge."

Wash kissed Zoe briefly, and headed out, Mal following behind. Simon finished the last few stitches in Zoe's leg, and declared her good as new.

"Just...try not to be on it too much. I know that's a lot to ask...but a little less adventure would do it good." Simon smiled, his bedside manner being the closest thing to a soft side he ever showed.

"Thanks doc." Zoe got up and tested her weight on her leg. Satisfied, she walked out of the infirmary, leaving Simon alone to clean up.

Alone with his equipment, his thoughts drifted to Kaylee: her bright smile, beautiful face, and cheerful nature had drawn him to her from the moment she'd invited him onboard. If only he weren't so awkward...if only he knew how to talk to her...if only...

Sitting on the couch outside the guest dorms, Simon and Kaylee were enjoying a rare moment alone. He regaled her with stories of life on the core, and she told him about the planet she grew up on.

"You know," Simon started, clearing his throat, "I think I've had more fun with you than any girl I've known."

"Yeah? You mean that?" Kaylee's face brightened, waiting for him to say more. She got so excited when he complimented her, but he always blew it. Always said something to drive her off. Not this time.

Simon took Kaylee's hand in his. "Yeah, I do. I'd not trade our time together for anything, no matter how many times we've all almost gotten killed."

She laughed, a sound that made Simon's heart skip a beat. Kaylee's sweet titter always made Simon melt, made him want to hold her, and kiss her, do whatever he could to keep her smiling, keep her the cheerful Kaylee he silently adored.

"Yeah, I guess the cap'n has gotten us into a goodly number of scrapes. But Serenity's a good ship, and she'll get us through anything."

"Serenity wouldn't be able to take us anywhere without you." Simon smiled a little, building up enough courage to stroke her cheek. Kaylee blushed furiously. Slowly, nervously, he leaned in, and pressed a kiss to Kaylee's lips. Blushing a little himself, Simon looked into Kaylee's wide and angelic brown and started again. "I guess what I'm trying to say...what I've been trying to say for so long now...Kaylee, I love you."

Her eyes lighting up, Kaylee smiled, wider than he'd ever seen. "Oh Simon," she exclaimed, throwing her arms around his neck and kissing him. Simon's hand went to the back of her head, his fingers in the mess of her hair, the engine grease from her clothes getting onto his immaculate suit, but he could care less. They lay down on the couch, Kaylee on top of him, kissing him eagerly. She unbuttoned his shirt, kissing his chest as he...

"Simon loves Kaylee, Simon loves Kaylee..."

Simon looked up to see River poking her head in the infirmary, chanting and grinning.

"River!" Simon exclaimed, embarrassed. "What are you doing here?"

"You love Kaylee..."

"I do not! Where did you...get out of here...!"

Giggling gleefully, River skipped away, chanting "Simon loves Kaylee," in a little singsong voice as she went. She pranced upstairs, to the mess hall – "Simon loves Kaylee..." – and passed Jayne, who glared at her as she skipped and sang. She pranced down the hall to the engine room – "Simon loves Kaylee..." – and stopped, looking in to see Kaylee looking back at her, a funny look on her face. River laughed, her whole heart in it, and looked at Kaylee.

"Guess Kaylee loves Simon too." With a giggle, she skipped away, her chant changed to "Kaylee loves Simon..."

Simon, who'd been chasing along behind river, the classic embarrassed brother, passed Kaylee and stopped.

"So you love me, eh?" Kaylee asked with a good-humored grin.

"I, uhm...heh," Simon stuttered, "well...umm...well you know how River is...always talking nonsense."

"So you're saying it'd be nonsense for you to love me?

"I – no! That's not what I meant, it's just that..." Dammit! Again I blow it.

"No, no. I understand. Big classy doctor like you, lovin' a girl like me. Sounds like nonsense don't it?"

"No, Kaylee. No, it doesn't." More than anything, he wanted to take her in his arms at that moment, to wrap her up in his embrace and kiss her, prove to her just how reasonable it was for him to be in love with her.

Kaylee shook her head and turned away. Simon's head hung, and he murmured, "I do love you, Kaylee," before turning to leave.

Kaylee turned back. "What?" But it was too late, Simon was gone. River snuck back up to the engine room door. She peeked in and looked at Kaylee.

"You're such a boob."