Aphrodite's Reward Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The accident wasn't his fault," Terrwyn frowned. "If anyone should have apologized back there, it was His Foppishness. He's fortunate Alaric didn't strike him or have him locked up. The prince must be on his best behavior indeed."

"Well, he's been shown up by a stranger," Majella shrugged. "Doubtless he knows that acting like an immature prig won't make for a good contrast."

"I knew he'd be irritable enough just having to come here. He hates the Plaza. I've no doubt that his minder was sent along for good reason. Too bad such help cannot be sent along when we're out questing with him." She paused, but inevitably said what was on her mind: "We were better off on our own."

"Terrwyn, we were not," Majella said, taking her friend's arm again. Standing in the street as they were, she had to lower her voice, though she saw no one close enough to eavesdrop. "Look, Alaric is a jerk and the others aren't much better, but they are competent enough in a fight. We've both seen our skills grow as a part of this group. Our skills, our names and our purses."

"Yes, but how long do we stay?" Terrwyn asked. "The Companions are down a wizard now, which was always the greatest reason to join them. But until another wizard is found, I doubt the prince will set foot beyond the royal hunting grounds. No treasure in the world would tempt him enough. You know how much he relied upon Vorhast for aid and advice."

"You'd think Alaric would have done a better job of protecting him in the last battle," Majella nodded glumly. She shook the thought away. "Terrwyn, we'll know our time to walk away when we see it. For now, let's just carry on and take what comfort we can of our fortunes. This is still a cushy spot, isn't it? You can't tell me you don't like having a regular stipend of pay and royal connections to go with the occasional adventure. We'll strike out on our own soon enough.

"Besides," she added, "we joined the Companions, not the Friends. We don't have to like the bastard."

Terrwyn laughed and threw an arm around Majella's shoulders. "Fair enough," she said, "though sooner or later we'll need to go about finding some actual friends."

* * *

"I've not come undone like that for a man since my first," Ariella breathed. She lay in Davos's arms, staring up at the ceiling and glad for his still-roaming hands. The two could manage no more lovemaking without rest, but after hours of passion and a bit of washing one another, they relaxed into a lingering bout of affectionate touching.

"When was that?" he asked.

Ariella smiled and looked up at him. "Most men don't want to hear about the others that I lie with."

"I can understand that," Davos shrugged a little. "I imagine most men wish they could stay with you forever. I don't blame them. But even after all this, I wouldn't presume to have a claim on your heart."

She shifted, turning to lay facing him with her breasts against his chest and one of his legs between hers. She loved the feeling of him. "I don't want to make more of this than I should, but you already have more of a claim than anyone else. This went beyond ordinary sex, Davos. I feel I've experienced you. I would gladly have you again, anytime... particularly if you respect my boundaries and my duties."

"And your privileges and blessings?" he smiled.

"Yes," she smiled back. "As I said, such are meant to be enjoyed, not denied for the sake of misguided ideals that Aphrodite herself never espoused."

He shook his head. "You were saying? Your first?"

"A temple priest, in the city of Hykara, where I underwent my training and my vows. The faithful of Aphrodite are not trained in their nearest temples. It leaves too many bonds and cultural traditions in the way of devotion to the goddess. I came of age there, and upon adulthood I was initiated. He was skilled and tender, and that night I fell in love with him... but only for that night, much like tonight. And even then, he did not take me to the extremes that you did.

"In truth, I generally prefer women," she said, utterly unafraid to admit it to him. "I'll take any of the acolytes over the men in this city most any day, though occasionally I indulge in a man or two. They usually don't remember that I was their partner. It's important to maintain some distance and mystery," she smiled, "otherwise there would be suitors at the temple doors night and day."

"Will I forget this?"

"No. At least, I hope not," she chuckled. "No mystic effect will cloud your memories, but as for what you remember? That's up to you."

"I imagine I'll remember all of this, then. You've been incredible. This is all beyond my wildest dreams. I know that's a cliché, but it's true."

"You'll become accustomed to this after a few years, but I can't say it ever gets old. I've never grown tired of the beauty of my lovers or the thrills of sex. I look forward to what your future brings, too, and I hope you will accept me as a confidant. You cannot tell others about what Aphrodite has given you, and that may leave you feeling somewhat disconnected. But you can always talk to me."

Davos let out a long, thoughtful breath. "That means a lot," he said, stroking her hair and looking into her eyes. "I've never had a confidant, really. Not since I left home. And knowing all that you've told me, it's... it's good to know that I have someone to talk to. I imagine that'll take some getting used to. Just like all of these blessings you've told me about."

"They are difficult to imagine in the abstract," she nodded. "You'll need to experience Aphrodite's influence at length to truly accept it. She knows this. Your faith is not being tested. Go forth and conquer," she teased, "with my blessing as well as Aphrodite's."

"Oh, in a hurry to get rid of me now that you're done with me?" Davos laughed.

"Hardly. I simply don't want you to limit yourself. Such is not Aphrodite's will."

"I have to admit, I am already intrigued by—"

A knock at the door interrupted him. Ariella's eyebrows rose as she looked to the entrance, then back at Davos. "You are as welcome here as a lover," Ariella told him once again. "Are you ready to embrace what that means?"

He took a deep breath. He didn't know for sure what she might mean, but he knew how he felt about her. "I'm ready to trust you," he said. "Should I get dressed?"

"No. Exactly the opposite." Ariella looked to the doorway again. "Enter," she called, and did not get up from her nude and intimate embrace with Davos. No sheet covered them, nor did any curtain obstruct the bed. Ariella seemed perfectly comfortable with being on display like this.

Davos decided to follow her lead—which essentially meant lying there fully on display with her. When the acolyte walked in, she saw Davos naked on the bed with one arm around the high priestess... and with Ariella's hand fondly but lazily stroking his erect cock.

As always, he couldn't see much of her face above the tip of her nose, but everything about Cinna suggested she didn't bat an eye. "I apologize for the interruption," she said without betraying emotion.

"You would not have come if it were not important," Ariella replied affectionately. Davos still couldn't believe she was steadily working his erection like this while carrying on a conversation with someone else. His body stayed relaxed, but this was a whole new thrill. "What concerns you?"

"Prince Alaric visited in search of Davos," said Cinna. Davos caught the mild but instant frown of distaste on his bedmate's face as the acolyte continued. "I kept him outside on the steps, of course."

"What did you tell him?"

"The truth. That you were engaged in religious matters, and that you were not to be interrupted. Nothing more. Davos, I am asked to invite you to an informal dinner with the prince and his Companions at the Singing Lion tonight. I am also asked to have the prince informed if you will not be in attendance."

"Wow," Davos blinked. "That's not something I expected."

"It is the tactful and politically wise thing for him to do," Ariella observed. She didn't stop with the slow pleasures of her grasp. "The prince is an adventurer, a fighting man and one of the faces of the monarchy. Naturally, he would make friendly overtures, if only for the sake of appearances."

"I get the impression that you aren't fond of the prince," Davos observed.

"The man is an arrogant pig," replied Ariella, just as Cinna said, "He is self-centered and snobbish."

The casual disdain voiced by two women at once for someone so high above Davos's station made him laugh. Loewen hadn't struck him as an oppressive city, but he'd been places where such words against the crown or others of nobility could get one jailed or worse. Even here, a certain degree of respect was shown by all... at least in public. This only added to the impact made by the easy acceptance both women had for the open display of sexuality on the bed. Davos truly was in a place of complete trust.

"Did the prince say anything else?" Ariella asked Cinna.

"Only that Davos would be invited to a formal audience with the court sometime soon, but that is in line with what Edward said. Alaric did not say so openly, but he seemed quite surprised to learn that Davos is one of the faithful of the goddess."

"As I would expect of him," Ariella remarked.

"His Companions held their tongues during our conversation. I cannot say that I blame them."

"Who are the Companions?" asked Davos.

"In this kingdom, an able-bodied prince or princess is expected to seek out the dangers of the land and vanquish them," Ariella explained. "The practice hearkens back to the early days of the kingdom. Alaric's sister, Josta, has long led a portion of the army. She is currently in the east searching out bandits or some such. Alaric seeks to imitate the princes of yore, and thus he has established a circle of allies to aid in his adventures. These are the Companions. Such groups have risen and faded with the maturity and aging of the princes. This is the latest iteration. Some are fine men and women who look to help the kingdom. Others are simply adventurers who know an opportunity for enrichment when they see it.

"The practice leads to mixed results. I tend to concern myself with motivation as much as what they accomplish, but even I would concede that the group has indeed protected people and vanquished some dangers. For all of our distaste for the prince, the man is no dandy."

"Sounds like I'll meet him soon enough," Davos said. "Much as I'd like to stay here with you as long as you'll have me, this doesn't sound like something I should avoid."

"It is not," Ariella shook her head, "and you will of course be welcome back here later. But for now, I would tell you of the prince. I would not have you deal blindly with such as him."

* * *

The street outside the Singing Lion was active enough, given that sunset had only just passed. Loewen was certainly a pleasant place in the summertime. Wind off of the sea mitigated the heat of the sun. Somehow the port city escaped the humidity that often went with such warmth. He'd seen many ports in many places. Not for the first time, he thought that if he ever settled in one place, Loewen would rank highly among his choices.

Then again, he conceded, the warm and intimate welcome he'd received from more than one of the city's women in the last day and a half might have more to do with that judgment than the weather and the pretty trees.

His pace slowed as he reached the other side of the street from the inn. When he'd arrived the night before, he thought the place too fancy and expensive for the likes of him. Now he felt like the building itself suited him just fine—again, a woman may have had more to do with that than anything else—but a whole new level of company at dinner tonight renewed that sense of alienation.

Davos could fight goblins and pirates just fine. He could handle rough seas at night that threatened to drown him along with his ship. He had faced the vast unknown time and again, and found it as appealing as it was daunting.

Social engagements with people of lofty station were not common for him. Captains of ships did not engage him in casual conversation. Noble passengers rarely spoke to common sailors. Now he faced dinner with a prince.

Davos took one last breath to steel himself. Loewen didn't have a tradition of executing people for insulting the crown. At worst, he'd say something stupid and be banished from the city as a result. Or get laughed at, which would be annoying, but he'd endured greater pains than that before.

Loud and raucous conversation drifted through the windows and the door before he stepped inside. Davos thought he heard a fiddler playing, which he thought was a bit too bad. Performers deserved to be listened to, not talked over. As he entered, he found every table in the lower common area of the inn filled. The split between men and women only mildly leaned toward his gender. He saw merchants, artisans and people he took to be gentry by their clothes and grooming.

Toward the center, naturally at the largest table, Davos found the prince and his Companions. The tall, blond, good-looking man stood out in a crowd both for his vigor and the finery of his clothes. His comrades, two women and four men in all, generally dressed in light armor and had weapons at their sides. Davos thought for a brief instant that the prince's adventuring friends might double as bodyguards. That would fit with what Ariella had told him about Alaric and the royal family.

He was spotted almost as soon as he walked in. "Good Davos!" called out Juliana, who had just set down a platter of food at the prince's table. "Our guests have been hoping to meet with you."

Many of the conversations stopped. Others fell into hushed tones. Davos quickly understood why: many of the other guests were here simply in hopes of befriending the prince, or at least in hopes of being perceived as his friends by others.

"Ah," said Alaric as he rose and gestured welcomingly. "There he is. The hero of the hour."

"Surely not, your highness," Davos demurred, trying not to look intimidated by the man's station. Best to treat him just like any other man, he figured, though perhaps extra-politely. "It's been three days. By now this city must have a new hero. Certainly someone's been saved from a fatal accident with a cart or something, right?"

Eyes widened. Smiles faltered—though the grins on the two pretty women among the Companions seemed to twitch briefly with mirth. Alaric seemed to tense up, and then his head tilted slowly. "I'm sorry?" he managed.

"Well, just saying that I shouldn't receive so much attention for so long," Davos shrugged. The innocent look on his face had the benefit of being genuine, but many in attendance didn't realize that. "But I certainly don't mean to sound ungrateful. I'm flattered to meet you, Your Highness. And your friends," he added, looking to the others and nodding."

Alaric drew in and released a long, slow breath. "I see."

"Did I say something offensive? I apologize. I've been in the temple since just after the crack of dawn. I came straight here. Is something wrong?"

"No, not at all," spoke up the smaller of the two women. She leaned forward past Alaric to offer her hand. "I'm Majella. This is Terrwyn, Geoffrey, Baldwin, Romis and Gareth." She shook hands with Davos and glanced once to Alaric before moving out of the way once more. Terrwyn greeted Davos immediately, grasping his wrist rather than his hand like one of the warriors from the northwest. Gareth did the same, and then there were other handshakes and introductions.

It had the effect of moving the conversation past whatever misstep Davos had made. Once he'd met everyone, enough time had passed that revisiting Alaric's apparent irritation would have seemed awkward. Davos glanced to the prince to see his displeasure notably reduced.

"Davos, please, have a seat beside me," said the prince, gesturing to one of the spots beside the head of the table. The prince then sat at the head, and the other Companions quickly followed suit. Davos caught on to the nuance of the moment quickly enough: the Companions did not need to wait for the prince's leave to speak, as Majella had just demonstrated, but they did wait for his highness to be seated first.

By then, Juliana had brought around another tray of drinks. She began passing them out as Alaric asked, "Do you drink ale, Davos?"

"Well, of course, your highness," he nodded readily, "when I can."

"I'm told you're from faraway lands, so I didn't want to presume too much," the prince explained. He caught the slight twitch of Davos's eyebrows and asked, "Is there something you're more accustomed to?"

"Ales and beers are fine, your highness," Davos assured him, "and the drinks at this inn are particularly good." He caught the appreciative wink from Juliana before she moved on, and then the waiting look from Alaric. "They're also common in Murried. It's just not readily available on many ships. We get water after it's been boiled for safety's sake. That, and rum."

Eyebrows went up. Lips spread into smiles. "I'm sure that could be arranged," said Baldwin with a chuckle.

"Oh, I don't want you to feel like I'm challenging you," Davos chuckled, resulting in a roar of laughter. Clearly by trying to back off from it, he'd done just that.

"We'll get to it, then," said Alaric. He picked up his mug of ale. "But first, a toast: to the hero of the Battle of the Plaza." Sound agreement rippled around the table.

Davos nodded, blushed, and once again demurred humbly: "To those brave souls who gave their last that night," he added.

Again, there was a brief twitch and pause at his words. Several of the Companions were struck with a thoughtful look. Alaric seemed as if he couldn't quite come up with his next words. Finally, he kept it simple: "Indeed."

They drank. Davos decided not to pound his first drink. This would clearly be a long night, and he would need to start it out with a full stomach rather than the empty gut he had now.

He noted the sideways looks he got from the women at the other end of the table, who leaned together and shared a brief conversation neither he nor the other men could hear.

"I like him already," murmured Terrwyn.

"Why?" Majella chuckled. "Just because he walked in, slapped Alaric with a smile and then opened his drinking by respecting our honored dead?"

"And he's handsome," Terrwyn confirmed.

"You're so predictable."

"You're already angling for him, too."

"Got another of those little gold rings you're ready to part with?" Majella dared.

"What are we," frowned her warrior friend, "women or twenty year-old boys?"

"You're right," Majella shrugged. "These are matters for mature behavior."

"I have one more ring," said her warrior friend. "Think you can match it?"

"Easily enough. Not that I'll need to."

Terrwyn laughed. "Then you're on."

* * *

He genuinely didn't mean to start a drinking contest with these men. In truth, no one openly suggested it or called anyone out. Yet Davos read the currents early on, so he steered a practical course. He played to his strengths in his choice of drinks. He ate heartily, both at the opening of the dinner and even after, always keeping a bit of solid food close at hand. He drank water, both in front of his company and whenever he excused himself to relieve his bladder.

His subtle but deliberate choices made all the difference as he saw the prince and his Companions—the men, at least—slouch and slur their words much more than he did as the night wore on. Perhaps he was wrong, and perhaps he, too, was a sloppy drunk without realizing it. This wouldn't be the first time. But he felt fairly stable. It was all the assurance he could expect.