Army Brat Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Slickman
Slickman
8,143 Followers

"Hi Danny," she smiled as she sat on the seat next to him. "My name is Candy."

Danny had seen her many times from afar. She was drop dead gorgeous with long dark hair and nice firm breasts. "Hi." He wondered what she wanted.

"I'm having a party tomorrow night and you are invited."

Danny managed to keep his eyes off her bare thighs sticking out from under her short denim skirt. "Thanks...uh can I bring a date?"

She leaned over causing her blouse to open enough for him to see the pink lace of her bra. "I was hoping that you would come alone."

Danny was speechless as he stared down her blouse.

"HEY WHATS UP?" Buttons asked as she sat in front of Candy.

Candy frowned and looked at Buttons. "Can't you see that we are busy?"

"Can't you see that he is going out with my best friend?" Buttons jabbed back at her.

Candy smirked. "Think about it and let me know." She stood and walked out.

"Think about what?" Buttons asked.

"Nothing," he answered.

By lunch time Ellen had heard the story from three different kids. When Danny walked in she pulled him back out into the hallway. "Did Candy Morrison ask you out?"

"What? No...she asked me to a party she was having."

"And......."

"And I asked if I could bring a date," he sighed. "Did Buttons tell you that she asked me out?"

"Kinda.....well maybe she did say a party."

He smiled and leaned over to her ear. "I only love you."

"Me too," Ellen whispered back.

It was after practice that day when the coach pulled Danny aside. "I'm not sure if you saw the schedule but we had to add another game in a few weeks because another team dropped out."

"No sir, since I don't know the other teams that well it doesn't make that much of a difference to me."

"Well, this one might," Coach Wright said. "We are playing the team from the local Army base."

"Oh," Danny said stopping. "Army?"

"Yeah, they heard that we had an opening and requested to play us. I'm sure it's because of all the media hype surrounding you. If you don't want us to play I'll tell them we are not interested."

"No, actually I think that would be great," Danny said. "I want everyone to know that my mom and I do not blame the Army for what happened to my dad. But, it will be weird playing against an Army team."

"I'm just glad that you are on my side," Matt smiled.

It was later after supper when Danny told his mom.

"Are you sure?" Janet asked. "I mean there will be people in uniforms."

"I'll be fine," he grinned.

"Since the game is on the base how about stopping by the cemetery?" Janet asked. Danny had not gone back to his father's grave since the funeral.

"We......uh..will be busy...you know..with the team and stuff." He kissed her on her forehead and hurried away.

He called Ellen and told her about the game on the base. "I'll need you near me."

"I'll always be near you," she whispered. "I wish I was near you right now."

"Me too. Did you hear any more about your step brother?"

"Actually he is my half-brother but I haven't talked to my father yet. I think he is more upset than I am about my mother returning. But, I would like to see him. He looks so cute."

"Not as cute as you," he whispered.

"Am I cuter than Candy Morrison?"

"Who?"

"Yeah right who. Candy can get any guy she wants so you better have your guards up."

Ellen heard her father walking by. "I've got to go. I'll see you tomorrow. I love you."

"Love you too."

*****

Allan heard his daughter talking on the phone and figured it was Danny. He passed her door when he heard it open.

"Daddy, can we talk?"

"Sure baby," he smiled. They leaned against the hall wall.

"I want to meet my half-brother," Ellen said.

"Are you sure? I mean that will mean that you will have to talk to your mother."

"I know."

"I talked to her last week and she told me why she left. I didn't want to tell you what she said because I think that she needs to say those words directly to you."

"If she is going to live here I think that I need to get it over with. I'll never forgive her for what she did but I need to stop hating her."

Allan smiled and felt his eyes getting moist. "I'm so proud of you and how much you have grown. Actually I want to meet the kid too."

Ellen moved into her father's arms. "Good night daddy."

He kissed her forehead. "Good night peaches."

*****

The next game was on that Thursday and was against a team from Atlanta. The team was ranked in the top twenty in the nation and had one of the best pitchers in the south.

"From what other coaches have said the kid throws in the low 90's." Coach Wright told his team before the game. "He only has a fastball and a curve in the mid 80's so you won't have to expect anything else."

Corey held up his hand. "Coach, should we take a few pitches first to check out his control?"

"Well he likes to get ahead in the count and normally comes in with heat on the first pitch. Once you see his speed he likes to mix you up with his curve. Since this game is really not a league game I think you should all swing away on the first pitch and just make contact."

As the team headed out of the locker room the coach pulled Danny aside. "We are going to need base runners against this guy so I'm gong to bat you first. Now, don't try to be hitting homers like you did last game."

Danny chuckled. "I won't."

"Also their catcher has a weak arm so if you get on I'm going to send you to second."

"Great," Danny grinned. The one area he had been working on was his base stealing jump.

Again the stands were full as professional scouts and major universities were there to see Corey, Danny, Jimmy and the other pitcher Pat Anderson. The media was hovering over the stands trying to get any bit of news about Danny and his mother.

A sophomore pitcher Todd Thompson was pitching for the Panthers and making his first varsity start. He was quite nervous during warm-ups until Danny ran over to joke with him.

"Don't worry about these chumps," Danny whispered. "Just because they are from the big city it doesn't mean that they can hit or field better than us. Actually we are a lot better looking than they are."

Todd laughed and watched Danny run back to second base. Their first batter stepped in and Todd shook off three signs which caused the catcher to call time and run out.

"I thought you only have three pitches," the catcher Billy Wilson said.

"I do but I want them to think that I have a few more," Todd grinned. "The first four signs won't count."

"Got it," Billy grinned. After moving behind the plate he put down his middle finger four times and then three which mean a screw ball to the left-handed hitter.

Todd shook off the four middle fingers and then got serious. As Jimmy Thompson's little brother he had a lot of pressure following in his footsteps. The pitch started inside but broke back over the plate. "STRIKE ONE!" The umpire yelled.

"Way to go Todd!" Jimmy yelled from the dugout.

Again Billy gave a bunch of signals but again came the screw ball and again the batter jumped back. "STRIKE TWO!"

"What the hell is he doing?" Coach Wright asked Jimmy as Billy continued giving a bunch of signals.

Jimmy laughed. "It's something we do in our back yard when we play whiffle ball. It screws with the batter's mind."

"I know but I want to go home tonight sometime," Matt grinned.

"STRIKE THREE!" The ump yelled with a fast ball on the outside part of the plate.

The batters and coaches on the other team could be seen whispering in the dugout as the second and third batter went down easily on strikes. Young Todd had struck out the side.

Danny winked at his mother as he stood waiting to bat.

"He has always wanted to bat first," Janet smiled. "His father told him that the first batter always has more at bats than the rest of the team."

Danny admired the fast ball the pitcher fired during warm ups and stood back timing them with his practice swings. He remembered playing against the real army team in Germany with his father and many of the solders threw as hard as or even faster than this kid. After taking his batting stance he moved the bat back and was ready for the hard fast one. As soon as he hit it he knew it was gone.

"STAY FAIR!" Danny yelled as he ran to first base watching the ball hooking down the left field line. The ball moved well over the fence and they all waited for the third base umpire to make the call.

"FOUL BALL!"

"Shit," Danny whispered as he ran back to home plate. He picked up his bat and checked the infielders before stepping into the batters box. The pitcher didn't seem so relaxed now as he leaned in to get the sign. With a big sweeping motion his left hand came again with another fast ball. But as it neared the plate Danny turned and bunted down the third base line. The third base had moved back after the foul smash and didn't have a chance getting Danny at first.

Coach Wright smiled from the third base coaching box. His sign for stealing was touching his hat brim twice and then putting his hands on his knees.

Danny's dad had also taught him the art of base stealing. First he had to get the pitcher to throw to first. As he took the big lead he watched as the left hander looked his way and then to the plate. He took the stretch and looked at Danny's lead before firing over to first. Danny easily made it back and smiled. "So that is your pick-off move. Let's see your motion to the plate." He thought.

Danny took a smaller lead and watched the pitcher as he stretched and fired to the plate. Again it was a fast ball down the middle for strike one. "One more to the plate," Danny thought. Again the pitcher stretched and again he threw to the plate. This time it was a high fast one for ball one. Danny looked at the coach and saw the steal sign. Again he took a big lead and when he saw the pitcher look twice at him he hurried back to beat the tag.

For the next three stretches the pitcher threw to first to get Danny but he was easily safe all three times. Danny leaned and watched as the pitcher took his stretch but didn't look at him twice. As the pitcher came forward he took off.

"HE'S GOING!" The first baseman yelled.

The pitcher again threw a curve ball that the catcher had to wait for. By the time he caught it and threw to second Danny easily slid in.

Danny dusted himself off and knew that the pitcher was somewhat rattled. He jumped around as he led off second and smiled as the pitcher stepped of the rubber. Twice more he did the same as the Panther fans started booing. The pitcher hurried the next two pitches for balls that made the count 2 balls and 1 strike. It was a perfect count to steal on so as the pitcher turned to fire to the plate Danny took off for third.

"SAFE!" The third base ump yelled. The crowd screamed and clapped when Danny stood and dusted himself off. The batter walked on a wild throw into the dirt and it brought Corey up now batting third in the line up.

Danny faked going home on the first pitch causing the pitcher to throw high and inside. The normally accurate All-American pitcher was losing his cool. Corey knew the next one was coming hard down the middle and was ready for it. The ball shot off his bat towards the gap in left center. Danny and the second batter scored easily as Corey slid safely into third.

"Good job," the young pitcher Todd said to Danny after they arrived back in the dugout. Corey scored on a weak grounder to second but the pitcher settled down after that and got out of the inning.

Danny hit into a line-drive double play in the third inning but young Todd had managed to keep the big city team shut out until the bottom of the fourth. After hanging a curve ball homer to the big first baseman the Panther's were only up by a run going into the bottom of the sixth.

The first batter was hit by a pitch and the second batter bunted him to second. It brought Danny up again with one out. Danny had hit the pitcher's first pitch both times hard so he knew the pitcher was going to come in with a breaking ball. He waited patiently and when it broke over the plate he cracked it over the shortstop's head into the gap.

"Go!" the first base coach yelled as Danny rounded first. Danny saw the left fielder bobble the ball and headed to third. As he neared the base he saw Coach Wright holding up his hands to stop him but Danny didn't stop. He turned towards home and didn't slow down. He saw the catcher grabbed the ball as he slid.

The umpired delayed his call to make sure the catcher was still holding the ball. "OUT!"

Danny jumped up thinking that he had touched the base first. "WHAT?"

"You were out son," The umpire said not wanting to create a scene because even he knew who Danny was. "He beat you with the tag."

Danny was about to complain again but looked up into the stands at his mother who had her right index finger over her lips. He remembered the many times his father told him to take the call because it might help you later. "I'm sorry sir," he said as he walked back to the dugout.

The Panther's had a two run lead but young Todd got caught up in the excitement by walking the first two batters in the top of the seventh. Coach Wright called his big right hand pitcher Brent Freeman in to pitch.

"Get them to hit it on the ground," the coach said as they huddled on the mound. "Let's get a double play and get out of this mess."

Brent had a nasty cut fast ball that caused many ground balls but tried to keep it too low and walked the next batter to load the bases with no outs. Danny and Corey talked to him on the mound to calm him down. "Let them hit it," Corey said. "You have a great defense behind you."

Brett threw a ball and the air became thick with tension. He aimed the next ball and the batter cracked it foul down the first base line. "Keep it down!" Danny yelled.

Even the batter knew what was coming and smashed a low line drive between Danny and the first baseman. Danny was off in a flash and drove to catch it before it hit the ground. He jumped up onto his knees and fired to first to get the double play.

"SECOND!" Corey yelled after that runner had never figured Danny would catch it and headed to third.

Danny turned on his knees and watched the first triple play in the Panther's history. "OH YEAH!"

The game was over and the little town Panthers had beaten the big ol' Atlanta team. The team raced out to Danny and soon it was a big pile up of bodies.

"I hope they don't hurt him," Ellen gasped not being able to see her boyfriend anymore.

Janet sat down knowing that he was alright but she also knew that the word about Danny Upton would get to be a lot bigger than what it had been already. She realized too that her son had what it took to be a big league player like his father.

"Are you alright?" Allan asked noting the look of worry on her face.

She turned to the group of scouts from the pros and universities talking and calling on their cell phones. "I'm not sure if I'm up to going through all of this again. I dated Josh in high school and saw what all of this can do to you. I'm not sure if I can do it alone."

Allan smiled and took her hand. "You're not alone." It was the first time that either of them had made a comment along those lines.

"I'm not?" She whispered.

"I love you Janet. I have for a while now." Allan smiled.

Janet had never thought that she could love anyone but Josh. She had not expected that Allan loved her and was unprepared to respond. "Allan.....I..I.."

He saw the tear that had form and was rolling down her cheek. After wiping it off he leaned forward and kissed her. "I'm here for you."

On the field Danny finally made it out of the pile of bodies and looked over at Ellen who stood in the gate waiting for him. He ran to her and smiled. "Can you believe it? A TRIPLE PLAY!" He leaned in to kiss her but she stopped him.

"Look at our parents," she whispered. They turned and saw them hugging and kissing. "Looks like we might be step siblings after all."

"Good, then we can sleep in the same house," he chuckled. Someone tapped him on his shoulder and he turned to see the opposing coach.

"Danny....I just wanted to say that I greatly admired your father," the coach said forcing a smile because he was holding back tears.

"Thank you sir. It means a lot to me when coaches tell me something like that. He loved baseball and I'm sure you do too."

"Have you considered moving to Atlanta?" The coach joked.

"No sir, but if I ever did it would be an honor to play for you." Danny let go of his hand and watched as the man walked away.

"I hope none of this gives you too big a head," Ellen said hugging his waist.

"My dad never had a big head and he did a lot more than I ever will," Danny responded.

"Over here!" The coach yelled. Danny kissed her lightly and ran over to the players and coach.

"We beat a really good team today but had to have a triple play to pull it out," Coach Wright started. "If we are going to win the state championship we have to keep the intensity up for the whole game. That's all and I'll see you Monday after school for practice." As the players moved away the coach called Danny.

"Coach, I'm sorry for running through your stop sign at third," Danny said quickly. "I was caught up in the moment."

"Well I could yell at you but nothing I could say could come close to what you are already feeling. But if and when I tell you to stop then you better stop."

"Yes sir. It won't happen again," Danny said holding his head downward.

"However, if you hadn't given us the lead and turned a triple play we wouldn't have been in this game anyway."

Danny smiled and walked next to the coach as he patted him on the back. It brought back memories of the many times he walked off the field with his father next to him doing the same. By the time he made it to his mother, Ellen and Allan he was feeling down.

Janet looked into his eyes knowing what he was thinking. "Your dad is watching Danny. He's as proud of you as I am."

"As we are," Allan added.

They walked to the cars and Ellen jumped into Danny's. "We get the boat," she giggled as they drove away.

"I forgot to bring the condoms," Danny said when they stopped for a red light.

"I started on the pill this week," Ellen smiled.

"Really?"

Suddenly the cars behind them started honking. "Danny the light turned red," she giggled.

"Red," he repeated before turning and driving away.

"Do you want me to drive?" She asked as he swerved into the lane next to them.

"Uh...no...I'm OK," he laughed.

*****

"At least she won't get pregnant," Allan said to Janet as they drove back to her house. When she didn't respond he looked her way and saw her starring into the windshield. "I shouldn't have said what I did."

Janet turned and leaned her head back against the head rest. "When Josh died I never thought that I could ever love another man. And I've been doing a good job until you came along."

"I'm sorry," Allan said not sure where this was going. "I know that I can never take the place in your heart that Josh has but I was hoping that your heart is big enough for a little space for me."

"Pull over," she said firmly.

Allan made sure it was safe and directed the car to the curb. He turned and waited.

"I don't have a small space," she started. "Actually a small space won't do because the space I need for the way I feel about you is a lot bigger."

"Is this going where I hope its going?" He grinned.

"Yes, I love you Dr. Brand." She leaned over and pulled his lips to hers.

*****

"Slow down," Ellen laughed while she ran to keep up with him down the boat ramp. By the time she made it to the boat he had unlocked the door and was downstairs. "Hello...anybody home?"

Slickman
Slickman
8,143 Followers