As It Seems Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What does she say?" he demanded. He was going to put an end to this shit. She sobbed again trying to gather her strength and breath.

"She tells them I never wanted them. She says animals make better mothers."

"Don't tell me anymore," he said gripping his phone so tight he heard the plastic giving away.

So much for not getting involved. He sighed tucking Daniel in.

****

"Ahh! These assholes just won't leave!" Alexa hissed throwing herself on the bar stool; hiding her face in her folded arms.

"What's the matter Hun?" Janabelle laughed cleaning and straightening glasses. The music was loud, not just loud; bordering obnoxious. At least most of the smoke cleared following the rowdy wasted patrons. All that was left was a trio of college boys at Alexa's table.

Gauge and Janabelle pretty much spent the last few days at her place. She knew they were worried about her, even Gauge, though he blamed it all on Belle. They knew something was up. She never forgot to check in with her dad or David.

They were also privy to her father's strict overprotective overbearingness. They both had to take drug tests polygragh, which her father kept in his basement, not to mention a back ground check.

"I know they are doing this to me on purpose." She whined kicking the bar panel, and huffed.

"Don't worry honey I got you." Alexa peered suspiciously at Jana with narrowed eyes. Jannabelle winked easing over to the radio.

"What are you- oh no you did not!" Her eyes widened in disbelief as "oom bop" by Hanson blared from the speakers. She covered her mouth to keep back a howl of laughter. Jana started shimmying and shaking.

"Ohh, girl you know this my song." Gauge ran from the kitchen shimmying with her. Alexa covered her eyes. Why? Just why? She shook her and went to her table.

"Anything else fellas?" She gave her sweetest smile showing a pair of dimples.

"What kind of crap music is this?" A tall blonde slurred splashing his beer on the floor as he wobbled from the table. His eyes were a vacant blue; nothing like the deep rich blue of Connor's. No you aren't supposed to be thinking about him. She scolded herself. His hair wasn't as golden either. Stop that!

"You know what you can get me?" she cringed as the drunk leered and leaned into her. She looked at him expectantly. She already knew it was going to be something stupid.

"What?" she didn't bother to pretend interest.

"Inside those panties." Her ears burned; his hand slipped under her plaid skirt, tracing up and down her thigh. She had about all she could take of this bullshit. She had other things she could be doing; than putting up with these jug heads. Before she knew it she grabbed their pitcher of beer and pouring it down his head.

"Fat chance freak," she growled.

"You fucking cunt!" he pushed her and she fell back slipping on the wet ground. She would have fallen if a pair of firm hands didn't catch her and pull her back behind him. She stood with her arms folded trying to cool her rising temper.

"I know that had to be a fucking accident," Gauge was in front of Alexa. "I know you did not just fucking-"

"What's it to you man? Look what that crazy bitch-"

"Watch what you say she's family," Gauge warned his whole body tensed waiting for either of the guys to step up. The trio's eyes widened looking from him to her. They could tell he was ready to brawl despite his lazy tone.

"Let's get the fuck out of here." The blonde mumbled backing away.

They lined up at the bar taking their credit cards, "I took the liberty of adding gratuity for our trouble." Jannabelle smiled tossing their cards on the floor.

"Bitch." They mumbled only loud enough for them to hear. They didn't want to push their luck.

"You okay?" Gauge asked, fighting the urge to follow those fuckers out side.

"Yeah thanks, let's get this mess cleaned up." He heard the quiver in her voice. She wasn't okay; she felt guilty for losing her temper. She could have handled them, but happy she didn't have to.

"It's not your fault." Alexa shrugged avoiding eye contact. She just needed to get out of there. She was supposed to be baby sitting anyway.

"Hey Munchkin you ready?" Gauge asked while Alexa dropped her bank.

"Yeah, can I crash at your place?" Her voice was always so quiet when she asked him if she could stay over. She always asked even though she didn't have to. "It's Friday." She added when he looked down at her frowning. She spent every weekend somewhere other than home. Really she spent most of her time anywhere but home. For some reason the weekends were the hardest for her usually the most violent. How many times had she come to his house with blood pouring from her face or bruises. He fixed her up while she tried to talk him out of going after her dad. That drunk piece of shit, would come to his door crying against the door asking for his baby to forgive him. Janabelle being Janabelle she would.

"You don' have to ask." He stopped her in the door way touching her elbow. He felt guilty. One night changed their easy friendship. One night he stopped being the friend he should have been. One night he chose his own hurt over her safety. He couldn't keep seeing her hurt, he couldn't spend one more day worrying about her. He told her if she went back, he wouldn't help her anymore.

He knew it was a dickhead thing to say, even worse he thought he meant it at the time. Until he didn't see her at work for a few days. He pounded on her door, he went everywhere he thought she would go.

"Yes I do." He bit his lip averting his eyes from her penetrating gaze. She stepped away from him; as much as she wanted to be with him, she knew they would destroy each other. "You know what I can just go home, it won't be that bad." She could barely hear her lie over the rush of blood to her ears.

Gauges eyes shot back to hers, anger over ridding any other emotion. "You're coming with me." His voice deepened as he spoke through grinding teeth. She nodded; she didn't want to fight with him. Deep inside she knew it was a bad idea. It was getting harder to fight the feelings she had for him. Was she willing to risk going home just so she wouldn't be around him. She still hurt from when he turned his back on her, but could she blame him? She could see that she was draining him and straining their friendship, it was selfish of her to continue but she needed him. Selffish bitch, no wonder your dad would rather be hooked than have anything to do with you.

"We still taking you to David's?" Gauge asked never taking his eyes off Jannabelle.

***

"Thanks for the ride." She hopped out wondering what was wrong with Jannabelle and Gauge. They were quiet the whole ride. She shook off the tension she felt. Those two were usually so easy and fun. Maybe it was her fault, maybe it was the trouble she caused at the bar. She didn't tell him why she dumped the beer on that asshole; he didn't ask. He didn't have to. He knew Alexa well enough to know that she wouldn't have done that without good reason.

He nodded never taking his eyes off the road, "Sorry about earlier. I lost-"she figured maybe he was mad that she caused yet another fight. She really tried to get her anger issues under control; whatever counseling fixed, the pain meds unmantled.

He looked at her and frowned, confused "What?"

"The fight." She mumbled a guilty flush warming her face.

"Those assholes were looking for trouble. What kind of friend would I be if I let them push you around?" He gave a waning smile. His blood shot eyes roving towards Jannabelle; Alexa saw the longing, slowly realizing she wasn't the cause of distressed atmosphere.

"Well I'm sorry anyway," she reached over Janabelle and tugged his dark shaggy hair.

"I'll come by tomorrow for your arm." Jannabelle kissed Alexa's cheek.

"Great, looking forward to that." She mumbled

"We need to take care of that." It was one of the few times Janabelle's voice was stern and unbending. Alexa nodded. She knew the massages Janabelle gave her helped, but damn if they weren't painful.

"I better get inside Jenny's brother is probably tearing his hair out by now."

"Please don't forget to call your dad." Gauge added a little bit of his humor coming back. Alexa let out a snort and Jannabelle giggled.

Alexa unlocked the door and waved them off. She sighed as she walked into the house. Luckily the kids were asleep. Why did she let Jenny talk her into babysitting in the first place? Because you haven't seen the kids in a week. She answered her question. Funny how Jen didn't want her anywhere around until she needed something. She couldn't penalize the kids or David; because of her. So she bit her tongue and agreed.

Jennifer said her brother would spend the night so she didn't have to rush home from work. She never met Nathan before. She heard he was walking trouble. Spending the last few years in and out of the system. Why David or Jennifer would let someone like that around Daniel and Clara was beyond her. She'd give him a twenty for his trouble and let him go do whatever it was he did. She thought as she walked into the living room.

All the lights were off; but the neon blue glow of the T.V. offered her enough to see her way around. Toys were every where. She sighed as she quietly started to straighten up. She jumped when she saw the massive form lying on the couch, breathing steadily. His face was covered by his for arm, apparently blocking out the unstable T.V. light dancing across the room. Her face warmed as her eyes took him in. He had a tattoo on his chest that she couldn't make out, but she could make out the impressive cut of his chest and abs. He was a breathing marble statue, if she touched him would his skin be cool as the marble his body was cut from or would he be hot burning flesh. Her eyes trailed down to the deep "V" cut in his waist peek-a-booing from his jeans. Where were these guys getting this? First Connor now her brother-in-law.

She pulled a blanket over him refusing to ogle the poor guy any more. She couldn't afford to get turned on anyway; she had no way to relieve that sort of stress. It was too weird to do in David's house surrounded by kids and a strange man. She started to bite the inside of her lip as she turned away getting back to straightening.

Connor heard the jingle of keys in the door; he probably should have gotten up. He was sure it was David's sister Zia; or some shit like that. He knew it was Italian he just didn't know what it meant if anything. He didn't care he was wiped out. He didn't know two kids could be so tiring.

He should have introduced himself; but honestly he wasn't in the mood for pleasantries.

He broke the promise to himself not think about Alexa. Her scent was a ghost following him around all day, to the point he wondered how often she came here pretending to be Jenny's friend only to steal her husband.

He smiled slightly as she covered him with a blanket. Her voice sounded familiar as she mumbled to herself. He lifted his arm slightly to get a peek at her. He couldn't catch her face right a way, the T.V. went dark for a few moments before it switched to light again. His breath caught as his eyes adjusted to the darkness. Her features became more and more distinguished. His heart fell to his stomach; he jumped off the couch clenching her arm and twirling her to face him.

Alexa gasped barely able to comprehend what was going on. All she knew was there was death grip her upper arm swinging her to meet a pair of burning searching electric blue eyes.

12